Home
Bought this the other day(W.L. Baumler Distributor Exclusive). So far, very pleased.

Wiped the metal and wood with Ballistol/rag, cleaned the bore with Hoppes 9 then mounted a VX-3 2.5-8x36 in the factory supplied rings.

At the range:
-fired 8 rounds of Norma 100g SP +P-during this time it started showing some real promise
-fired 3 rounds of Nosler 110g AB +P (100 yards) .368" group
-fired 3 more rounds (my friend did) of the Norma (100 yards) .618" group
-ran out of daylight, will go back soon to zero the Nosler AB load for whitetail deer hunting

Have a good day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Ruger Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 11/12/18
That’s a nice set-up. I had a couple of ultralights in 257 Roberts as well as a Hawkeye, and one mark II. The sporter barrel profile is where it was at for best balance. All were pretty dam accurate. Wish I would have kept the MK II. Still have a soft spot for Rugers.

100 gr ballistic tip used to drop deer in a hurry.
Sounds really really nice
Fine rifle and an even finer chambering; sounds like you got a good one!!
I'd send it back and see if they have one that will shoot...I hear Ruger has pretty good CS. Or, it depends on who you ask! But seriously, an old tang safety ultra light in 270 Win that I had is possibly the most accurate 77 I've ever had. Nice rifle and good shooting. Congrats!
I can't tell if that is gloss or matte blue. That is FANTASTIC accuracy.
Posted By: J_Scott Re: Ruger Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 11/13/18
Thanks, guys.
Paul-I'm calling it gloss, went with a gloss scope too.
I bough a dealer exclusive Hawkeye in .257 Roberts a little more than a year ago. The fit and finish of this rifle is outstanding. Perhaps they paid a bit more attention to them since they were a limited run? I couldn’t be happier with it. Mine shoots factory ammo pretty well, but it loves reloads. It shoots 115 grain Ballistic Tips just under an inch and 117 grain GameKings right at an inch. This rifle will get a lot if playing time in the future. I am using IMR-4350 as a propellant.
wilkeshunter-I agree re: fit and finish-very well done. Additionally, my trigger pull average is 3.3# for five pulls and 3.6# for five pulls. Lastly, when I opened the box, the first thing I noticed was the nice wood.

[Linked Image]
Sweet rig!
I love Ruger 77s. There are the perfect hunting rifle IMO.
Very nice rifle!

My favorite is my 1989 M77 tanger in .257 Roberts. Daughters and nephews have used it to take their first big game.
Lucky you! That's a real beauty.
My biggest regret is selling a 1990’s era M77 Mk II in .308. I killed everything I ever shot with it instantly . Moment of stupidity.

Great hunting rifles.
Looks like you got a real winner! That's the thing about Rugers, some shoot lights out and some you have to fiddle with. I got a Hawkeye .308 laminated stainless a few years ago. It is not very accurate with anything but 155 gr SMKs and IMR4064. Those it likes a lot. My hunting load uses Sierra Game King 165 gr and 4064, and if I'm lucky it will go slightly sub-moa for three shots. Once you find a rifle like yours, you never let it go.
We
Originally Posted by J_Scott
wilkeshunter-I agree re: fit and finish-very well done. Additionally, my trigger pull average is 3.3# for five pulls and 3.6# for five pulls. Lastly, when I opened the box, the first thing I noticed was the nice wood.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn’t give you a nickel for the difference between your rifle and mine. From the pictures, they look darn near identical. It looks like we both got lucky on our rifles! grin
Yep, sounds/looks like we did. I'll take luck every time. smile
I just looked on Google to try to find the distributor website and couldn't find where I could check if they still have some in inventory. Do you have a link?
I’ve been looking for one of those Ruger 257s, can’t seem to find them anywhere. I was about to ask the same thing as Paul
Try Elk County Arms and Ammo. They are a gun dealer in Pennsylvania. That’s where I got mine, last year.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Try Elk County Arms and Ammo. They are a gun dealer in Pennsylvania. That’s where I got mine, last year.

^^this^^ same here, via Gunbroker.
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeStandard/specSheets/37115.html

Next I went to Gunbroker and typed in 37115 and there it was offered by Elk County Arms/Ammo.

Good luck and you all keep us posted!
That's a beautiful rifle. I've said I wouldn't buy anything else but old tang safety's. But even though I have a Roberts in a tang, I would have a hard time passing that up. I do like the Hawkeyes though.
That is a beauty for sure!
Originally Posted by J_Scott
Bought this the other day(W.L. Baumler Distributor Exclusive). So far, very pleased.

Wiped the metal and wood with Ballistol/rag, cleaned the bore with Hoppes 9 then mounted a VX-3 2.5-8x36 in the factory supplied rings.

At the range:
-fired 8 rounds of Norma 100g SP +P-during this time it started showing some real promise
-fired 3 rounds of Nosler 110g AB +P (100 yards) .368" group
-fired 3 more rounds (my friend did) of the Norma (100 yards) .618" group
-ran out of daylight, will go back soon to zero the Nosler AB load for whitetail deer hunting

Have a good day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] grin grin

Very nice!!!...... The 110 Accubond is my go to in the 257 Roberts. Wish it would do .368 out of my 257 Hawkeye UL cry
My MkII 257 Roberts has become my favorite deer/antelope rifle. Just wish it was about a pound lighter.
I tried a Hawkeye 77 .257 Roberts and I just could not get it to shoot under about 2 1/2 inches. I ended up trading it off. I have had many Rugers that shot extremely well, so I knew this was a fluke, lemon flavored. smile I was going to have it reamed out to the Ackley, but, no use gambling any further.
I was thinking about grabbing one of these until I tried to find some brass. Think I’ll stick with my new 243 for now.
Originally Posted by TomM1
I was thinking about grabbing one of these until I tried to find some brass. Think I’ll stick with my new 243 for now.

Brass is a bit of an undue expense with the 257. I was lucky to grab up a bunch of new R-P before rem and WW stopped offering brass to loaders. The 243 has a couple or three practical advantages over the other, but I still do really like the 257. In the field you won't see any difference.

To the OP ....... Very nice rifle and perfect scope choice. I have the same on mine.
© 24hourcampfire