Home
I have never owned a Howa but I think I may try one of these in .300 Win anybody had one? Opinions? Reviews?.......Thanks Hb
I recently bought a Vanguard Wilderness in .25-06. As I understand it, this is the same rifle without the cerakote. The fit and finish is nice. The weight is right at 8 pounds all up with a Leupold 4.5-14x40, 5 rounds, and a sling. The stock is comfortable when shouldered but a bit thick in the forend and down right fat at the wrist. So far, with 4 different factory loads (Federal 100 gn ballistic tips, 110 gn accubonds, 115 gn partitions, and 117 soft points) she is averaging 1.5 -3 inch groups. So, it may be a bit picky??
I bought one in .300 Win Mag shortly after they were introduced. It was a good rifle for me and accompanied me on several elk and deer hunts. After finding that I had a serious problem with my right shoulder that was exacerbated by recoil, I gave the rifle to my stepson, who still hunts with it.

Unlike me, he is a one-rifle guy, and the .300 Win Mag Backcountry has become his one rifle. He farms and ranches with his cousins, and he doesn't "baby" his rifles like I do--it rides in the cab of his pickup year round. His daughter used it yesterday to take a mule deer. When they came over to show us the deer, he left me with 120 fired cases to reload for him. I gave him a couple hundred reloads sometime during the early summer, so I know that he is shooting it and liking it.
Thanks Andrew, I knew the Backcountry had the B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block so I was afraid it might be just like the B&C stock on the Winchester Mod 70 Extreme Weather ( very thick in the wrist).....This is a dealbreaker for me as I just sold an as new excellent Mod 70 EW because the B&C stock is so thick.....Thanks Hb
HB I have said wby vanguard s2 backcountry in 257 bee that will put wby factory 110 accubonds in a 3 shot group@100yds in slightly less than 3/4" nicely triangled group. nicely balanced rifle but the howa/vanguard action is beefy but the fluted barrel helps offset that some. I like it and have had no issues. just check your action screws and torque em to 50in/lbs is where I found my best accuracy.
good luck,
Big Ed
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Thanks Andrew, I knew the Backcountry had the B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block so I was afraid it might be just like the B&C stock on the Winchester Mod 70 Extreme Weather ( very thick in the wrist).....This is a dealbreaker for me as I just sold an as new excellent Mod 70 EW because the B&C stock is so thick.....Thanks Hb

HB the stock on the backcountry is very similar to the EW, I’ve been itching for a 257 Wby and the backcountry is one I was considering. Finally found one I could put my hands on and the stock is chunky just like the EW. Bummed me out as I was hoping it would be slimmer.
Yeah thats a shame as i think this could be a nice hunting rifle but stock ergo's are a big deal, a hunting rifle needs to feel right.....Hb
I have an original iteration Back Country in .30-06. All stainless, no Ceracote. If I could find another, I’d buy it.

P
Yeah I would much rather have a stainless model, cerakote is good stuff but not an equal substitute for stainless.....cerakoted stainless would be optimal IMHO.......Hb
Look for an old Vanguard stainless, replace the trigger with a timney and put it in a Mcmillan Sako Classic pattern Edge. The old Vanguard SS is much better in the corrosion department then the new stuff.
300 WM, eh? Who'da thunk it......
Originally Posted by 16bore
300 WM, eh? Who'da thunk it......

Lmao! Thought I might try a Magnum cartridge for once and see how I like it......😁.....Hb
At least you're easy to shop for. 😜
Lol, sometimes i have been known to change it up and buy a .300 WSM....that is if im feelin wild and crazy ....😁.....Hb
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My boy’s first two bucks.

P
Excellent pics Pharmseller! Looks like some good times.....Hb
© 24hourcampfire