Home
Posted By: centershot Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/15/18
Thinking I need (well want) a new lightish rifle to pack over the mountains here in Idaho. I just saw a Kimber Hunter Black that looked pretty good. I have read where Kimbers were (maybe still are) a bit of a crap shoot in the accuracy department - wondering if they have the kinks worked out or if they are still hit and miss. Second item of considerations - caliber. I've been shooting things with a 30-06 for the last 30 years and am considering a lighter recoiling cartridge. The 6.5CM seems to be gaining popularity, there are always the classics 308 and 7-08. .243 is a little light but the others should be fine for mule deer and the occasional elk inside of 1/4 mile. What say you?
Posted By: tzone Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/15/18
Have one in 6.5 CM and like it a lot. It's a bit too light for my liking but it's a hellova rifle. 3/4" groups at 100 with factory ammo.
I have one like tzone's. Same cartridge, etc. Anyway, mine shoots in the neighborhood of 3/4" as well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/15/18
My son bought one last year, and while I'm not a fan of the guard being part of the stock, it looks sturdy enough. It's pretty lively on the bench, but pretty handy in hand. Nice trigger too. Assuming no Kimberish problems, I think it's a nice one for the price, especially for someone allergic to DMs that stick out.
Posted By: FLNative Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/16/18
I have one chambered .280AI and I am thoroughly happy with the rifle. The first three bullets I tried were 150 Partitions, 120 Ballistic Tips, and 120 TTSX's. I found loads for all three that will consistently do 5 shots 1" or better at 100, and didn't have to work too hard or burn too much powder to do it. Earlier this Fall, I tried four more bullets, as well as new loads for the original three. I was playing and mostly just trying to find an even more better better-mouse-trap. I found several more loads that are close to or under an inch through two test groups each. It's kind of an embarrassment of riches to have the choices I've got for hunting loads.

It's light and easy to carry; probably too light for steady off hand shooting without a lot of specific practice, but I didn't buy it for those type hunts, so that doesn't bother me.

I shoot it a lot. I'd buy it again, no hesitation. No roulette experience here. Magazine design works just fine, no trouble. The barrel heats up FAST at the range, but that's not a big deal, and if it's my only complaint, it ain't much. Like most, I take another rifle or two and shoot them while it cools.
I got one a few weeks ago, in 6.5 creed. I haven't done a lot of load development yet, but it looks like this rifle will shoot the 140 gr. Nosler RDF and IMR4350 into about 5/8". It hasn't liked the two hornady factory loads I have tried. I love how light it is. Very handy. One of my buddies got one in .30-06 last year and he absolutely loves it. I was highly tempted by the .280AI version.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/16/18
I have one in 6.5CM and shoots Fusions well under an inch. Very happy.

Still kick myself for selling my 260 Montana!
Thanks fellas - what's the recoil like in the long action calibers. Guessing a 30-06 with some 180's will probably get your attention.
Posted By: FLNative Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/16/18
My above noted .280AI with 150 Partitions and a top end charge requires a firm hand on the forend. Free recoil will bounce pretty good. But, in terms of felt recoil, it's not awful. The stock design keeps it reasonable, plays well with the light weight, to me. Maybe a slight cautionary note if you're the type that presses your cheek bone down on the comb. If so, that's different because the comb is narrow and might teach you new a new cheek-weld habit.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/17/18
In 2018 I built 5 rifles and bought one factory rifle:
Win M70 280AI
Rem700 6.5-06
Sav 111 300WM
Sav 110 280AI
Rem 700 7mmSTW
Kimber 84L 280AI

I took them on a month long trip of target practice, shooting 3 antelope, and 2 mule deer.

That Kimber was way lighter and much cheaper than what I had in parts in the other rifles.
To keep it extra light, I put a Leupold rimfire lightweight scope on it.
It kept up in accuracy with the other rifles a 200y and 400y.

If the cheap and lightweight Kimber works so well, why am I bothering to build rifles?

[Linked Image]
140 gr NAB 56.2 gr IMR-4166
My Kimber hunter is also a 6.5cm and I really like this rifle!

Fusion 140’s have been one shot elk killers. Hornaday whitetail 129’s on deer and antelope.

I love the light weight and light recoil - makes it easy to carry and hit with.....

I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

My almost 50 year old .270 is languishing in the back of the safe.......
Bought a 308 for a friend when they first became available. He passed away last year and never had a chance to use it. Update. It shoots quite well and I have been hunting with it this year. Really nice to carry and I've yet to see any problems. Really like it.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/23/18
I’m looking for another light rifle as well, with the Kimber Hunter the 308 and 7-08 weigh 5lb 7oz. But the 6.5CM weighs 5/9 and the 243 weighs 5/10 , so for me, I’d stick to 308 or 7mm-08. I’ve never owned one but have heard the same thing as well about the accuracy from Kimber, so I’ve also been looking at the Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter or the 10 Lightweight Storm. Little over 5.5lbs and a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Kimber.
What kind of price are you guys finding on the shelf for these rifles?

-Jake
Originally Posted by JJWise
I’m looking for another light rifle as well, with the Kimber Hunter the 308 and 7-08 weigh 5lb 7oz. But the 6.5CM weighs 5/9 and the 243 weighs 5/10 , so for me, I’d stick to 308 or 7mm-08. I’ve never owned one but have heard the same thing as well about the accuracy from Kimber, so I’ve also been looking at the Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter or the 10 Lightweight Storm. Little over 5.5lbs and a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Kimber.

If 2 ounces concerned me I would buy the Montana.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/23/18
I like my .308 a lot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First hunt with it tomorrow, wanted to use the .444 first. My grandson was VERY impressed with the “BANG — FLOP “ Built into the .444.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/24/18
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Though I am not in the market for one currently (If I was it would be a .280 AI), I believe the last one I was was $799. That was at the military BX last spring in Alaska. I'm sure they can be had cheaper, but $799 is what I remember as it's the only one I have ever handled. It was in .308 Win, and was the only Kimber outside of pistols I have seen in the place.
The squabble over 2 or 3 oz. is just funny...

Most I see are for $799 and up, but I have found them as low as $750.

As for which chambering to buy, I would root through the safe to see what’s missing.

With a 243 on one end and the .270 on the other......the Creed was an easy pick and one I’m very happy with.
Posted By: DCR48 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/24/18
If you are worried about weight you might consider the weight of 5 rounds is ammunition. Then figure the weight of the rifle. Might surprise you.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/24/18
The Montana stock is 1/2 the equation IMHO.
Posted By: tzone Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/24/18

-Jake

I bought mine this past spring for $749
Posted By: BGunn Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/24/18
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The squabble over 2 or 3 oz. is just funny...

Just don't eat that 2nd piece of toast in the morning...

-Jake

Picked up a Hunter in 6.5CM on Saturday, $656.99 plus tax - 10% off of regular $729.99 on sale and D&B Supply. I believe that is very close to dealer cost.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/26/18
Wow that’s cheap! Is the black barreled model the same price? And the camp stocked one?

Only seen the stainless and not sure what colour the standard stock is called, here in Aus.
Regular stainless model. I asked, the sale was only good for stock on hand. Still about as cheap as I have seen one.
Originally Posted by 16bore
The Montana stock is 1/2 the equation IMHO.

.........and doubles the price!
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/29/18
The current retail prices for the Hunter and Montana are $909 and $1,455 respectively. That's a difference of $546 retail. Even with actual store prices the Montana is significantly more expensive and yet they don't shoot any better than the Hunters.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/29/18
That stock is worth every penny, IMHO. I shot a Montana 270 (6-1/2lb) side by side with a M70 (8-1/2lb), same ammo. The difference was quite noticeable. The Montana had "quick" recoil, but didn't seem to have the thump of the Tupperware stocked M70.

The M70 only stayed for nostalgia, or I'd still have the Kimber. M70 has always shot like a mofo too.

Down to 3 CF's

Anywhoo....
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/29/18
That stock is worth every penny, IMHO. I shot a Montana 270 (6-1/2lb) side by side with a M70 (8-1/2lb), same ammo. The difference was quite noticeable. The Montana had "quick" recoil, but didn't seem to have the thump of the Tupperware stocked M70.

The Hunter stock is almost identical in shape to the Montana stock with only a few subtle differences some of which are due to IM requirements. It's also about 6oz heavier with a very similar recoil pad so you'll find that the two stocks shoot very much the same. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything and it's good for Kimber that some will pay the extra $$$ for the Montana and Mountain Ascent or else those models would go away.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/29/18
I'm thinking more along the lines of what it's made of. Ergo's are some of the best.
Posted By: brno284 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/30/18
On the Kimber Hunter remove the butt pad and pull out the rubber sound softening material mine weighed 7oz. I also shortened the foreend an inch and cut the barrel to 20"
The rifle is a dream to carry, balances on the front guard screw and points perfectly. Also bedded it and shot it with a fresh cost of paint so it doesnt look like a modified rifle.. My hunter is now 3 ounces lighter than a Montana in 7mm-08 and that includes the Talley 1" rings.

Its shooting 120 TTSX's into .463" @ 100 yards and 3180fps.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/30/18
Thanks for that brno284. Very interesting.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by brno284
On the Kimber Hunter remove the butt pad and pull out the rubber sound softening material mine weighed 7oz. I also shortened the foreend an inch and cut the barrel to 20"
The rifle is a dream to carry, balances on the front guard screw and points perfectly. Also bedded it and shot it with a fresh cost of paint so it doesnt look like a modified rifle.. My hunter is now 3 ounces lighter than a Montana in 7mm-08 and that includes the Talley 1" rings.

I'm interested in why you shortened the forend 1" and how the stock looks given the honeycomb voids that you'd get into by doing that. Could you post a photo of the stock? Did you find it easy to "pull out" the rubber compound in the stock?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/01/18
How do you remove the butt pad?
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/01/18
It's secured with two screws.
Posted By: brno284 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/01/18
Shortened the foreend to maintain cosmetic looks as stock would appear too long for the 20" barrel. I tried drilling it to no avail, i ended up putting laquer thinner on top of the silicone or whatever it is and slid a steel ruler down the edge of the stock and the material eventually breaking it free. This took abit of time but the laquer thinner helps and acts like a penetrating oil to help release it from the stock. Any thin metal shim should work but it has to be rigid.

On the forestock i moved the stud back 1" as well and filled the orignal hole with glass bedding. The honeycomb is perfect to drop a 10-32 nut and change the front stud from a wood thread to a machine thread. Gun also now sports a Ti bolt handle and Ti action screws.

Will post pics after the 10th as I am using at the moment and dont have time to check zero if i take it apart for pics.
Thanks brno284

Look forward to the photos.
OK so its snowing and I am feeling housebound so thought I would finish up what I did to my hunter with some pics as requested. I have not had a bad Kimber in approx 20 that I have owned in terms of accuracy. That said I have had to go through the checklist and correct some of the faults, but never a bad barrel. Since I love Kimbers and can't leave anything stock I also put one of my oversize stainless steel 2x surface ground recoil lugs into my rifle and trued the action ring/face to remove the counter bore. Since I had it apart I also cut the bolt lugs .002" and lapped them into the reciever for 100% contact. Also set the barrel back 0.100" and recut the chamber with my JGS match reamer. I will say again none of this was needed I just can't leave things alone so I sleep better at night.....LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So here are pics of the recoil lug and action with the lug installed, I also thinned the trigger sides as I prefer a narrower feel, and yes it drops weight as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OK so here are some weights of factory vs. TI screws etc.

Factory Hunter screws;
[Linked Image]
TI Torx screws;
[Linked Image]
Factory bolt handle, sorry don't have a TI weight as was not going to take mine off.
[Linked Image]
Finished modiified stock weight, 1.5lbs or 24oz;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And finally some pics of the bedding and a ruler to show length of forend modifications.

Pic of bedding, i used acra-glas with micro balloons to fill the molding voids and then skim coated over the tops with Acra-glas Gel with aluminum for the top coat.

[Linked Image]

The forend in now 9 1/2" even, although might look shorter due to the camera angle
[Linked Image]

Finished weight w/o the sling and magazine in 5lbs 8 oz,. That includes the Vortex Razor 1.5x8x LH, LIghtweight Hunter scope which weighs 13.4oz. So the rifle as pictured with mounts would be 4lbs 10.6oz if I am doing my math correctly, again no magazine or sling in those calculations.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Rifle looks great, especially with that paint job and shortened forend.

Must tinker with mine, but not to the extent you have!
Great work brno!

Nice rifle!
Posted By: tzone Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/01/18
Lots of work man! Nice job.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/02/18
The one thing that I don't like about my Hunter over my other Kimbers...especially the wooden stocked ones is the extremely thin butstock.

It is much thinner at the cheek weld area vs the Wooden 84's and the Montanas

It just feels different
BRNO - What paint did you use? May spray mine.
Posted By: brno284 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/03/18
The product is an industrial 2 part epoxy paint. Endura.... You need to degrease the stock with 100% pure alcohol and then use a plastic adhesion promoter, I used PPG. Most auto paint suppliers will have something like this as it is used for prepping plastic bumpers etc.

Good luck
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/03/18
brno284, thanks for the detailed photos. I'm an inveterate tinkerer myself so appreciate all that you've done to your Hunter. Did you fill the voids in the forend with Devcon or similar since there had to be voids when you cut off 1" of the stock and shaped it? Thanks.
My how the tune has changed.

Hint.

Laughing!

Pass the REAL stuff and hold the Fluff..................
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by Big Stick
My how the tune has changed.

Hint.

Laughing!

Pass the REAL stuff and hold the Fluff..................

arent you the fluffer?
'12,

Weren't my intent to horn you up,but your experiences will reliably take you to where you are at. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............
Posted By: brno284 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 12/04/18
Just used acraglass gel for the fore end tip voids, same as plugging the original stud location hole.
Tagged.
Nice work brno!
@brno284

Where might a guy find those Titanium torx screws??
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/17/19
How hard was it to get that gel out of the stock? Were you able to just pull it out? Did the stock get much noisier after you took it out.

I really like the Kimbers, if they would give the option to get that flared muzzle with 5/8x24 threads that they use on the 300 BLK Adirondack, on other chamberings, especially with shorter barrels, I wouldn't have much reason to ever buy anything else for hunting. I wonder if a .223 Hunter is in the works, twisted right, that would be a neat rifle.
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
How hard was it to get that gel out of the stock? Were you able to just pull it out? Did the stock get much noisier after you took it out.

I really like the Kimbers, if they would give the option to get that flared muzzle with 5/8x24 threads that they use on the 300 BLK Adirondack, on other chamberings, especially with shorter barrels, I wouldn't have much reason to ever buy anything else for hunting. I wonder if a .223 Hunter is in the works, twisted right, that would be a neat rifle.

I just got back from the Range. My Hunter 6.5 felt great like a .243 and didn't change in vibration or Decibels that I noticed,,, when removing the gel from my stock it took about 10-15 minutes to work gun oil around the filler gel with a long handle skinny flat head, it pulled right out, give the oil sometime to seep down and into the pistol grip, I used about half a bottle of Hoppes #9, but any lube oil will work, the next day after the oil sat over night I removed the pistol grip cap, and the filler literally slide right out.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by MCMXI
[quote=brno284]

[Linked Image]

I enjoy hunting Newfoundland where I might have freezing rain/snow mixes. I'd like to find a way to fill the honeycomb without adding much weight so that I'm not collecting ice and dirt in those voids. I sure do like my Hunter in 6.5 CM. Easy off the bench and an easy carrier.
Posted By: oremi Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/18/19
I looked at one before I bought my Browning Xbolt speed. Nice action but wow the stock was awful. Misaligned and not free floated. Even the salesman said man that stock is junk! Now he did say the more expensive Kimber models were nice.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/19/19
Originally Posted by Rug3
Originally Posted by MCMXI
[quote=brno284]

[Linked Image]

I enjoy hunting Newfoundland where I might have freezing rain/snow mixes. I'd like to find a way to fill the honeycomb without adding much weight so that I'm not collecting ice and dirt in those voids. I sure do like my Hunter in 6.5 CM. Easy off the bench and an easy carrier.

Any suggestions for a filler?
Silicone, if you must wink
Posted By: beretzs Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/19/19
Or maybe Acra Gel mixed with micro beads.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/20/19
beretzs

Now there's a product that I didn't know that it exists. Could be a solution.
Thanks
Jim
Posted By: 16bore Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/20/19
Can’t say I’d lose any sleep over it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 03/20/19
No problem, use a similar product a bunch to lighten up polymer casts and such. Since you aren’t looking for strength you can really add a bunch. It’ll still be plenty strong.
What about a judicious use of expanding foam? Stuff is light and would fill the void well. Acts pretty good as a sound deadener in hollow buttstocks, too.
Posted By: jkinpa Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 01/22/20
Anybody else doing and mods to their Hunter?
About to have someone other than Kimber rebarrel one because in two trips back they cannot figure out the problem with a chamber .100" too long that no-gos close on without the slightest resistance. Even after two trips back... and they cannot even figure out lying about the work done is obviously just that, a lie. Claiming a bolt face polished harshly to remove gas-cutting is the same as replacing the bolt is laughable.

It is no problem making custom ammo that functions, but that is not what the owner wants. Pretty sad CS.
Posted By: brno284 Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 01/22/20
Remove the butt pad and grip cap from the montana and remove the silicone gel like material and it will drop 8oz immediatly putting it lighter than the montana and in the Ascent ball park
Heres pics from this thread that were deleted last year.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Daveh Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 01/22/20
My experience with Kimber CS was same Sitka....

Had a chamber with horrid chatter marks.
I got it back with only a “it’s within spec”

Ya right. Bozo’s....

I own several but do it now knowing I own the warranty.......
This is another I just finished, 4lb 9 oz without scope and mounts. Same process as previous pics of the green one. Cut barrel to 20", 3200fps over the lab radar with 120 TTSX and sub 1/2" MOA. Whats not to love!!??

Posted By: stvnshnn Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 09/11/20
Brno, I just got my hands on a gently used Hunter in 7mm-08 and I really like the paint job on that last Hunter you posted. How did you go about getting that pattern (paint, application process, etc.)? I'm too new of a member to send you a PM with the question.
Posted By: hanco Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 09/11/20
I’d like to have one. I hear they are hit or miss.

I prefer to buy gently used Montana’s for a couple hundred dollars more.
Posted By: tzone Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 09/12/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I prefer to buy gently used Montana’s for a couple hundred dollars more.

Well they’re a better rifle but don’t come around much. The best bang for the buck is the kimber hunter over a lot of other rifles.

I do prefer the Montana though.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/02/24
Here's mine— in .308 barrel cut/crowned to 19", gel removed from stock, ti bolt handle, topped w/ a Leupold Firedot 2-7x33 and Tally Lightweights

well under 6# w/ scope

brought to the Brooks Range for my Dall hunt; the guide handed up my rifle case to me in the float plane and asked if I had forgot to put the rifle in the case laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just purchased a Hunter in .243, going to give it the same treatment laugh
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/03/24
Looks great!

I must do the remove gel bit.

I like the look of the new blak stocks but Kimber are no longer exporting To Australia. For shame, given their Aussie heritage with Greg Warne.
308 Win.
Tiny clusters with H4895 and 150 Nosler BT’s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/03/24
Sure wish I could find some H4895. Sigh
I'm on my second. First was a 6.5 CM (now sold) and my current Pro in 308. I haven't removed the gel as I like the balance as-is and haven't found the weight objectionable. I'd be keen to fondle one that's been done, though. Here are some weights to add to the conversation:

Hunter in 6.5 CM with Burris FF II 3-9X40 / Hunter Pro in .308 with Tract Toric 2-10X42 / Montana in .223 with Tract Toric 2-10X42:

Posted By: Ghostman Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/05/24
I bought a Hunter Pro Disolve Black in 6.5 CM. I've had absolutely no issues at all with it and it shoots 3 different handloads into 1/2" 3 shot groups. Mine is a keeper!
Kimber makes some really fine rifles. My preference would be one in their "Mountain" series that has the carbon fiber stock and does away with the removable box magazine, but it is a bit more money for things that are minor and I'm sure they both shoot the same which is to say damn good.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Looks great!

I must do the remove gel bit.

I like the look of the new blak stocks but Kimber are no longer exporting To Australia. For shame, given their Aussie heritage with Greg Warne.

True that! My wife has an old Winchester .22 rifle (M 320) that the action was made in AU, by the pre-Kimber guys— tack driver! laugh
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/06/24
My .243 with the loss of 3" of barrel, gel removed and a Ti bolt handle from Chris here on the site. I'm putting on a Trijicon 3-9x40 and one piece game reaper mounts- should be sub 6 lbs.

The gel is 8 oz and it's free laugh

starting weight

current weight

Posted By: greydog Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/07/24
If I could have only one rifle to hunt with, I would like a Kimber in 308. However, if it turned out that Kimber was a 6.5CM, I wouldn't feel bad at all. A nice little rifle in a very nice chambering. I've shot animals with a 6,5x55 and it worked real well. I expect the Creedmoor would do as well. GD
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/07/24
Mtwarden good job. That’s the weight of my 308 Adirondack.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/18/24
My step sons 7mm08 shoots 120 Nosler BTs. into one hole 3 shots every time.
He does know how to handle a trigger.
Posted By: Babydeer Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/18/24
I had one in 308. It shot well and I didn’t have any issues with it.
Posted By: Moses Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/20/24
I spent a couple hours trying to get the gel out of mine (hard like plastic). Hardly made a dent in it.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Thoughts on Kimber Hunter - 02/20/24
I simply left it in mine. Rifle weighs 6 lbs 12.8 oz with Burris Signature 2-10×40 sitting in Talleys.
Removing the gel was the first thing I did to my pro hunter .308 when I got it home last year. I used a large flat bladed kitchen knife and a little rubbing alcohol poured in to help lubricate the cavity as the blade was removed. I pushed it down both sides of the stock and the gel popped right out. I then filled the void with wal-mart bags and put the recoil pad back on. I personally think Kimber puts the gel in just to make the gun heavier so they can steer buyers who want a really light weight gun towards their Adirondack. It no doubt has a nicer stock but once the gel is removed from the hunter the weights are nearly identical. I think there are more than a few guys who would save several hundred bucks if they knew they could just buy the hunter and remove the gel and get essentially the same rifle.
© 24hourcampfire