Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Bergara - 12/11/18
Saw my first Bergara at the range this afternoon, a Premier I think in .300 Winmag. Pretty impressive looking, and the three shots the owner fired went in a nice tight cluster. Loud rascal, though!
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
Waiting for Lefty's
Posted By: meddybemps Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
David Petzal has been singing their praises for a while now. I have looked at a couple, nicely made but maybe a tad heavy. I have so far resisted the 6.5 craze, but in a lefty, I'd be seriously counting my Cabelas's points.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I see Bergara has a new “custom” light weight offering now.
7.5 ish pounds, scoped and a nice slender stock....Timney trigger.
Could be a contender for those in the market.
Their standard model is too chunky for my taste.....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
This one appeared to have the Premier action, but the floorplate release looked like the B14, aka M70. Guy said it went 6lbs 4oz, which matches one of the
Premier mountain models. Very nicely done. Probably goes 7.5 with the Swaro he had on it.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
The Premier mtn in .300 Win rifle is very tempting to me but I need to handle one before i spend $1800.00 + in the blind......Hb
Posted By: IceCut Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
Some years ago when they were first introduced, I was looking around in my local sporting goods store and first saw the Bergara rifles. I knew they made good barrels for muzzle loaders and a t.v. show promoted them. I was drawn to the targets hanging from the trigger guard. Now, I have been shooting rifles for a very, very long time and had never seen ordinary factory hunting rifles with bonafide 1/4" 3 shot groups everywhere on the racks. I examined one closely and it looked very well put together indeed. They were the Stalker models which were around $1400 at the time. I could not buy one at the time and started saving my money. I did a bit of web research and read a new rifle called the HMR was coming out on the market. I later learned a limited edition -grey/black stock with 24" 5.5 contour barrels in 6.5CM would be available- at Bass Pro stores. A few months later, I drove over 700 miles round trip to buy one. (I also have a Ridge Rifle!)
BTW, I don't work for them or have any financial vested interest. I am just amazed by these inexpensive rifles!
Posted By: Hudge Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I may look for a Premier Mountain Series one in .280 AI. I have looked at the B14 Hunter. but it was a little too heavy for the application I want to use it for, and it's not available in .280 AI.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
They are nice, but heavy.

Hopefully I don't derail this thread, but,
there is something the safety doesn't do. (It's important to me)
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
They are not heavy but they are well built and very accurate

Premier Mountain Series 6.5 Creed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I have the B-14 Timber in 308. After hunting with it this season I decided it was too chunky and too heavy and I only took it afield 5 times. So I just put it on GB.
Posted By: deputy30 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I am with Hillbilly. The mountain series is on the short list for a new gun for my son, but I cannot find one locally to look at. No way I'm spending that kind of money on a gun I can't look at first. My local Cabelas does not carry them.
I didn’t look at mine before I bought it
I talked to SAS at Whittaker’s and purchased it on his recommendation
No regrets
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I'm very interested in trying one of these, especially the HMR. I don't think I've read or heard a negative review. Hey, I've got all the lightweight rifles I'll ever need or use. Heck, until the lightweight rifle "craze" hit about ten or 15 years ago, I never knew the rifles I carried throughout my youth were heavy. Now I know. Don't get me wrong, I prefer carrying my Barrett Fieldcrafts, Kimber Montanas, etc. in the mountains. I just didn't know that I used to be such a manly man carrying those sporter-weight rifles all over the rocky mountains..
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
Once the lefties hit the shelves I'll have to deal with a temptation I swore I was done with after my last rifle purchase.
Posted By: rj112275 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I have a Bergara Ridge in 308. Great shooter with heavy bullets. The threaded barrels are heavier than the hunting barrels. If you don't plan to use a suppressor or brake, then the hunter models might be a little lighter. I did buy an HMR stock for bench work. With a scope, bipod, etc. It weights 12 pounds with the HMR stock. Sure, it's no mountain rifle, but it's a sweet shooting rig. A good value in my book. You can go Premier series and spend more money, but I didn't see the advantage. Takes lots of same accessories as a Rem 700.
dedvgeorge

Do you have the premier series mountain rifle?
Originally Posted by deputy30
dedvgeorge

Do you have the premier series mountain rifle?

Yes sir
Does it weigh what bergara's website claims it does and what did sas have to say about it that lead you to buy it unseen?
Thanks
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I bought a Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM just to see what the fuss was all about. I figured it was the cheapest way into an accurate 6.5. I've not been disappointed in the accuracy and I think the 6.5 round lives up to the hype.

I found a Bergara in 6.5 CM on Whittakers website at a good price. I want to say $550, but can't remember for sure. At any rate it was a good bit less than the $700 I see them going for locally and I ordered it. I got it shortly before deer season and didn't have much time to play around with it, and didn't try to hunt with it this season. One of my winter projects is to get some trigger time with it. BTW, the trigger is the best of any rifle I own. It is my understanding they use Timney's and they are adjusted just where I like it.

Aesthetically it is a big improvement over the Ruger, but if it is any more accurate it isn't much. Of course there isn't much room to improve on the Ruger's accuracy. Mine weighs 8 lbs 3 oz on my postal scales with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 scope in Talley Lightweight mounts. Call it about 7 1/4 lbs without a scope. That is a little heavier than I'd prefer, most of my go-to rifles are about 7 1/2-8 lbs scoped. But for what I'm going to use it for I don't think it is excessive.
Originally Posted by deputy30
Does it weigh what bergara's website claims it does and what did sas have to say about it that lead you to buy it unseen?
Thanks

yes weight is true and SAS said it was nice accurate rifle
I don't know what else to say other than it had all the features I was looking for so I bought it
Barrel had a bigger contour than the Fieldcraft as I was going back and forth between the two and opted for the bigger contoured barrel as I'm not a fan of a #1 contour
Posted By: sigguy Re: Bergara - 12/11/18
I have a B-14 Hunter in 6.5CM. It is consistently accurate, and very easy to shoot. It is not a lightweight rifle, but more of a middleweight.

The barrel profile is pretty beefy; I think it's a #3. I'm not a huge fan of super slim barrels, and like the weight out in front from a balance perspective although I'd prefer a #2 for long distance carrying. The stock feels a bit chunky too.

If you don't mind the weight, it is a very nice rifle. It reminds me of a slightly higher quality Rem 700.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bergara - 12/13/18
Yeah the B-14 is way too heavy for My taste. I also like the heavier contour barrel on the Bergara Mtn over the Barrett Fieldcraft, And I dont care for how the bolt handle attaches on the Fieldcraft.......The new Bergara Mtn rifle also uses Rem 700 bases, this is a big plus with many scope mounting options available......Hb
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bergara - 12/13/18
Again the Premier series does NOT use Rem 700 bases

MOUNTING A SCOPE
Mounting a scope on the Bergara Premier and Custom rifles is a very straight-forward
procedure. Highly recommended is the one-piece Picatinny style mount with a 20 MOA
cant. These are available through Bergara USA, Bergara Authorized Dealers and other
scope mount manufacturers. For those who prefer 2 piece mounts, the Bergara
Premier Action uses the same dimension 2-piece scope mounts as the Browning
A-Bolt 3, Savage Accu-Trigger guns (8X40 screws only)
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Bergara - 12/13/18
I have a B-14 Hunter in 30-06. It shoots very well, and I like the 24" barrel. Mine weighs 8-1/2 lbs with a 3-9x Zeiss scope on top. I don't mind the weight, it soaks up the recoil. I'm 72 and can't handle recoil like I could when I was young. Bergaras are what Remingtons should be. Mine has a nice short throat and tight chamber. I had problems with feeding from the drop-floor plate style magazine, so I bought the detachable box magazine kit and swapped it out. No feeding problems now. I would consider another Bergara.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bergara - 12/13/18
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Again the Premier series does NOT use Rem 700 bases

MOUNTING A SCOPE
Mounting a scope on the Bergara Premier and Custom rifles is a very straight-forward
procedure. Highly recommended is the one-piece Picatinny style mount with a 20 MOA
cant. These are available through Bergara USA, Bergara Authorized Dealers and other
scope mount manufacturers. For those who prefer 2 piece mounts, the Bergara
Premier Action uses the same dimension 2-piece scope mounts as the Browning
A-Bolt 3, Savage Accu-Trigger guns (8X40 screws only)

Sorry George but the latest Bergara Premier series rifles use Rem 700 bases, yours does not as it is one of the first year Premier rifles, they use Savage mounts, but on the bright side your rifle should have a Timney trigger where the new Bergara Premier rifles use Triggertech triggers (also an excellent trigger that i prefer)....Do a minimal amount if research and you will find out for yourself 😁........Hb
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: Bergara - 12/14/18
going back and forth between the Ridge in .22-250, or Premier Approach or HMR Pro in 6mm Creed. Love the Trigger Tech

I REALLY LOVE the Christensen MPR but they dont offer it in the calibers I'm interested in. I'm really impressed with it.

I felt all of them yesterday at my LGS including the Browning Xbolt Hell's Canyon LR with the McMillan Game Scout stock, love the stock.

The Bergaras are stout, VERY well made rifles,\!
© 24hourcampfire