Home
I've been using 165 grain 7mm Sierra GameChangers (Tipped Game Kings) in a 7 Mashburn since they were released in August and finally killed an elk a couple days ago with one.

Not a lot of problems with getting them to shoot acceptably. I right now live in a very windy part of the country and I've noted group sizes reflect the wind. The bullets don't seem very finicky with regards to seating depth. Here she is at 300 before first elk rifle opened:

[Linked Image]

And this past week at 100 to verify zero before I drove out of town:

[Linked Image]

I did miss an elk with a shot in October; my buddy shot first and the elk I was preparing to shoot moved just before I shot and all I saw was the back end of a group of elk after that.

This shot was 80-100 yards away (I didn't range her because she was close), broadside. Not a really tough challenge for a bullet but the Sierra performed well. The cow is decent sized. And she will be delicious!

[Linked Image]

Entrance. The wound looks bigger than actual size because there was some blood that colored the hair at the entrance.

[Linked Image]

Exit.

[Linked Image]

She dropped at bullet impact. Good internal damage to lungs; I didn't do much of an autopsy because it was -1 degree F at the time and I didn't want to keep playing around in the snow. The shot was a little high, I aimed center of chest but she was uphill quite a bit from me and I could have shot lower due to the angle. A dead elk is a dead elk!
Nice. Congrats on some fine eating.
Kind of looks like the 300 yd plate at Otto Road?

Congrats on the kill, I was just thinking looking at the pictures (before I got to the end of your post) that it looked damned cold!
Congratulations on some good eating elk meat.
Those bullets worked great.

I'm thinking about trying some in a 6.5
Have a good day.
Thanks for the report Joelkdouglas. smile
There was no bullet failure! Congrats!
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

Congrats on the kill, I was just thinking looking at the pictures (before I got to the end of your post) that it looked damned cold!

Otto Road is right on!

And you know that wind tunnel between 300 and 400...that tunnel always throws me off!
Sierra's Customer service would like to hear this inimagine
[Linked Image]
Still hilarious!
Congrats on the elk Joel! Wished I was there with you buddy! Always like to hear about the Mashburn counting coup! Ol Bobby guides those bullets for us. I’m glad you got us back on the board.

Seems like the Sierra isn’t too darned bad!
Thanks.. Nice to hear the Mashburn is still dropping them..
Congrats, that’s some good eating right there!
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Otto Road is right on!

And you know that wind tunnel between 300 and 400...that tunnel always throws me off!

That little guy gets lots of punishment, the three copper colored hits on the head in this pic are my 127gr LRXs while checking zero.

[Linked Image]

Wind tunnel between 300 and 400, and usually dead at 500.

Out of curiosity, what area were you hunting? I wind up spending most of my time in 7. Was your cow in a herd when you found her?

Hopefully you weren't out hunting when it got so cold on the first, I was driving out to Hill on the morning of the 2nd watching the truck thermometer bounce around from 20 deg to -12 deg and all points between, helped along by a healthy wind of course.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Congrats on the elk Joel! Wished I was there with you buddy! Always like to hear about the Mashburn counting coup! Ol Bobby guides those bullets for us. I’m glad you got us back on the board.

Thanks Scotty! I can’t imagine how excited you would have been when you saw those damn snowmobiles!
Man that elk is gonna be great eating.... BIL shot a big Whitetail Buck this year at 375yds here this year with same bullet in a 7mag. Dead on it's feet went maybe 30yds.

Congrats

Otto Road is right on!

That little guy gets lots of punishment, the three copper colored hits on the head in this pic are my 127gr LRXs while checking zero.

[Linked Image]

Wind tunnel between 300 and 400, and usually dead at 500.

Out of curiosity, what area were you hunting? I wind up spending most of my time in 7. Was your cow in a herd when you found her?

Hopefully you weren't out hunting when it got so cold on the first, I was driving out to Hill on the morning of the 2nd watching the truck thermometer bounce around from 20 deg to -12 deg and all points between, helped along by a healthy wind of course.

I got a Utah cow depredation tag, near Henefer UT. They were herded up but we still had to find them. Pretty area and the cow depredation tags are (I think) a really good value. And I can still get 2 Wyo tags (assumes reduced price for one of them) and get a UT cow tag.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Thanks Scotty! I can’t imagine how excited you would have been when you saw those damn snowmobiles!

Heck yeah, that’s a mode of transportation I haven’t gotten to use yet on the elk mountain!

Otto Road is right on!

The ole regulator range?????
Originally Posted by Fotis

Otto Road is right on!

The same, I don't shoot at the cowboy matches though.

Otto Road is right on!

Never know who you might meet on that range. laugh
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Otto Road is right on!

Never know who you might meet on that range. laugh

Especially coming up on the Governor's Match!
The game changer on deer is darn good too.

Pics coming. 130gr 6.5 in the Creed.
© 24hourcampfire