Home
Posted By: Rodell Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
Unfortunately, my 11 year old son is a lefty. What's that all about, anyway? No lefties anywhere in the family.

I bought him a T3x hunter in 6.5x55, the caliber he was shooting anyway. I knew the LOP would be too long - he needs about 12" today, and, the T3x is quite a bit longer than that.I bought him wood because I want him to develop an appreciation for wood, as opposed to the plastic.

I need to do something, and, as I see it here are my choices.

1 - Cut down the original stock, and, when he outgrows it figure out what to do next at that time.
2 - Try to find a plastic takeoff from a T3 or T3x and cut that down, saving the wood.
3 - Try to find a new or used aftermarket for the T3 or T3x that can be shortened by the manufacturer or by me.(Lefty and short LOP seems to be a problem except from McMillan?)

What would the 'fire do in this situation? For some reason I'm paralyzed!
Posted By: Rhettsker Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
Speak to MtnBoomer on here about your issue. He is THE stock genius on this forum.
R
Boyd's AT-One adjustable stock for Tikk a T3/T3X comes in walnut for $204 or in a number of laminate colors for $189.
Posted By: rovert Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
Post an ad for a T3 take off and then cut that down. That's what I did. It has worked very well for my daughter. Don't worry about finding a lefty stock. You can just cut the bolt handle slot into a right handed stock (also what I did).
Posted By: rovert Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
[Linked Image]

I didn't have time to finish the kydex cheek piece before hunting season so it is just electrical taped on. I'll get that fixed before next year.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
Flattery will get you everywhere! Many don't understand this..... Just heard it said better on the radio, I'm susceptible to flattery. LOL grin

A common predicament. Easiest is to chop a synthetic and save the hunter. There are some adjustable lop setups that could be fit and I have a prototype idea for one.

Something to keep in mind is once you cut 1.5 inches off, it's a getting smaller height wise narrowing pad choices....

An option too is going for say 12.25 and then a slip-on pad for 13.25 later. Or possibly fabbing a simple spacer setup. Love kid projects.

Posted By: Ralphie Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/07/19
It wasn't a tikka, but I bought a mystery wood stock for my daughter for a rifle we already had. Saved the original stock. Cut the new one shorter and trimmed up the butt plate on it.
Posted By: Motown Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/08/19
No need to cut anything down. Keep an eye on the classifieds or ebay for a T3 compact stock. They come with a shorter LOP so nothing needs to be cut at all. My 9 year old son has a T3X compact in 7/08 and loves it!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by Motown
No need to cut anything down. Keep an eye on the classifieds or ebay for a T3 compact stock. They come with a shorter LOP so nothing needs to be cut at all. My 9 year old son has a T3X compact in 7/08 and loves it!

Too easy, lol. They're 12.5" btw. Good luck.
Posted By: rovert Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/08/19

Unless I'm mistaken, a lefty compact is not available here, so it would still need to be converted to LH.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka Youth LOP Options - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by rovert

Unless I'm mistaken, a lefty compact is not available here, so it would still need to be converted to LH.

Dohhhh!
© 24hourcampfire