Home
Posted By: Hookset Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
So I found a pretty good deal on a CZ550 in .375 H&H and it's been gnawing at my brain. I just can't figure out why I need it. I'm not likely to ever hunt buffalo or brown bears. Help a brother out.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
Its like Mt. Everest....because its there....
Posted By: 16bore Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
You'll shoot your eye out.
Most of them tend to be very accurate.
CZ's are Mauser actions, so they're reliable.
Good donor for a bigger cartridge, especially if it's one that belongs in a CRF action.
Good way to get experience with a classic belted magnum.
Recoil isn't as bad as you'd think--can be much more pleasant to shoot than a 338 or a fast 300.

For starters...

Okie John
Posted By: RMerta Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
Several years ago I got the 375 H&H fever too. I bought a Remington 798 375 H&H. The guy I bought it from three in some brass with the deal. He lives in Washington and had killed a couple elk and several bears with it. I bought a set of dies for it. It’s sad to say but it sits in the shipping box under my bed where it’s been since it arrived.
However it’s mine and one day I will get it out and hunt something with it.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
Sense when does need play a part?
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
You don’t need one but you have to have one

I have several, belted and flanged including original H&H belted magazine rifle and a H&H flanged magnum double.

They are fun, versatile rifles.
Posted By: patberg Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
I have 2 Ruger 375 H&H, don't know why but I have them. I have to admit the big bores are fun to shoot.
If it's a good enough deal you better do it or you'll regret it...those things tend to haunt you. I promise you this forum is awash with people that'd be able to recount "I wish I'd..." stories. Don't pass on good deals if it's something you think you want.
Originally Posted by Hookset
So I found a pretty good deal on a CZ550 in .375 H&H and it's been gnawing at my brain. I just can't figure out why I need it. I'm not likely to ever hunt buffalo or brown bears. Help a brother out.

Why? Beats me, too.

The best reason ever is that you want one.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
I look at it like this,

Education and entertainment are not free.

Ya' take your wife and kids to dinner or to a ball game you're gonna spend maybe a couple Benjamins.

If you purchase that rifle that is a good deal, you can enjoy it for a considerable length of time, sell it and get your money back, maybe even make a coin or two.

So even if you kept if for a year or two and lost a Benjamin, that's cheap entertainment.

The 375 H&H, an easy 200 yd. porker perforator.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I say go for it!

ya!

GWB
I have a Browning X-Bolt here in 375 H&H. It's a new one with walnut. The boy is just getting back from Iraq and it's for him.
I got a 375 Whitworth, no I don't need it either but I wanted it and none of my dogs or other guns got jealous about it. You have some kind of passbook that pays 25% interest or something? MB
I got a Ruger No. 1 Tropical with pretty wood I could be talked out of by p.m. It was already threaded when I bought it and has what appears to be a Vais brake on it and the front sight was moved back accordingly.

At 59, it doesn't appear I'll be making it to Africa unless I hit the lottery...

Sorry for minor hijack.

Oh yeah, it kicks softer with and without the brake than my 77 Tanger in .338 WM, and kills whitetail about like a .308.
Posted By: memtb Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
Simply, because it is the world’s best “all around cartridge”! While the .338 WM, may be North America’s Best “all around cartridge”! For me, one caliber since 1982.......375! memtb
Buy it and use it on whatever you want to.

I have a .460 Wby and a cape buffalo hunt is a few years down the road. I use it anyway on jackrabbits.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Truck guns start with the .375 H&H. With the proper bullet and placement they will stop any truck.

I went up the scale a bit and bought a .416...........it works with cast bullets for purposes of amusement.
The 375 H&H is good for practice till one can afford a .460.

Use it for smaller jack wabbits, save big ones for the .460.

DF
The .375 H&H is a beginner varmint rifle. When you have mastered it you can go to the big bores.

Here is what a 400 grain Speer at 2500 fps (IIRC) does to a bunny.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dale06 Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/10/19
Bought one for a Cape buffalo hunt. Sold it after that hunt as I saw no practical use for it short of brown bears and I bow hunt them.
The recoil was not really that bad.
If you really need a reason, here's one I used. Escaped circus elephant

On August 20, 1994, during a performance at the Neal Blaisdell Center, she killed her trainer, Allen Campbell, and seriously injured her groomer, Dallas Beckwith. Tyke then bolted from the arena and ran through the streets of the Kakaakocentral business district for more than thirty minutes. Unable to calm the elephant, local police eventually opened fire on the animal, which eventually collapsed from the wounds and died.

You know, if you really need a reason,

KC
First question is do you already have one? No? Then you need one. Not so hard after all. laugh
To shoot .375 bullets. You cain't do that with a .338.
https://nypost.com/2011/10/19/owner-kills-self-sets-wild-animals-free-in-ohio/

Just in case

-Jake
Posted By: hanco Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
To shoot pigs
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Back in the summer I bought a 700 classic in 375 h&h. Not much use for one here in KY, however. I shot it, enjoyed through deer season after using it on a buck and it went back in the safe. The more I thought about it the more I realized I really didn’t need it. Sold it to a member here last week. The remaining brass and dies are in the classifieds now. I’d own another one day but like geedubya said....it was cheap entertainment.

I say get it. I liked mine.
I have 3-.375 H&H's along with a .375 RUM.
Posted By: JDK Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Your money and your decision but I always ask myself if I'm spending money just for the sake of spending. If the answer is yes, I usually don't.

I'm pretty sure the NYP has that title ass backwards, He in all likelihood set the wild animals free....THEN he killed self. It's never a bad idea to buy a .375 H&H. It's a classic cartridge. I have a model 70 SS classic CRF in .375. I've taken Moose, Elk, Whitetails & Mule deer with it.
It's just an overgrown 30-06 and everybody knows they're no good.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
There might be a grizzly hunt in MT, ID,& WY. That was the excuse I used to by my second 375. cool
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
I have a Pre64 M70 and worked up a reduced load using pistol bullets and it's a pleasure to shoot and it's a hell of a deer rifle. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have a Pre64 M70 and worked up a reduced load using pistol bullets and it's a pleasure to shoot and it's a hell of a deer rifle. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

What pistol bullets ??
On my third .375H&H. Never hunted outside CONUS. Never hunted dangerous game. As above there is no "Need" for it. But it is fun to play and tinker with...
Ive got one in the safe I bought for a good deal. Its fun to shoot, and has been pretty accurate with 35 Whelen level loads (235 gr Speer, 60-something grains of Varget for around 2575 or 2600 I think).

I have a 376 Steyr being screwed together by a member here, and I just sent an M70 off to become a trimmer H&H than my current 375.

I have no need for 3 375's (and im considering a 375 Whelen) but ya know? They're just fun and effective on anything. Bullet prices are pretty reasonable, and its not hard to find brass on classifieds. Lots of guys own and hunt with one but don't reload, so if you're patient you have a near endless supply of cheap Rem and Hornady brass.

So the REAL is, why haven't you posted pics of your new gun yet?
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by jmd025
Originally Posted by GSPfan

What pistol bullets ??

My mistake I was thinking of the 416 reduced load. The 375 uses a 200gr Sierra FN bullet.
Posted By: mart Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Because your life as a rifleman will not be complete without one. It's neither too big for deer nor too small for elephant.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
You don't.
All hunters need a .375. Rusty
Posted By: gunzo Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Need ain't got nothin to do with it.. You might enjoy it, & if the kids aren't going without, why not?

I had one for a few years & I'm glad I had the experience..
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by Hookset
Why do I need a .375 H&H?

Most folk in North America don't need a 375.
Posted By: Starman Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Buy it and get it out of your system, same reason I got a .458win then after little while said' ta-ta' to it.. grin

10 yrs later I ordered the new release stainless classic M70 .375, picked it up and said I'm not carrying
that thing around, took a .338win instead no regrets.
Posted By: tzone Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Sounds like you need it as much as I need a 700 BDL. But that isn’t going to stop me.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The .375 H&H is a beginner varmint rifle. When you have mastered it you can go to the big bores.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a damn nice looking rifle!
Who DOESN'T own a 375 is a better question!
Posted By: Northman Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
A 9,3x62 is just a much better cartridge!
Originally Posted by Northman
A 9,3x62 is just a much better cartridge!

...and that endorsement right there is reason enough for a 375h&h...
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Who DOESN'T own a 375 is a better question!

Me ...... BTDT several times.

Current "big gun" is a 30-06 with a possible 300H&H in the future. Gonna neck down my remaining 375 brass for the 300.
Originally Posted by Starman
Buy it and get it out of your system, same reason I got a .458win then after little while said' ta-ta' to it.. grin

10 yrs later I ordered the new release stainless classic M70 .375, picked it up and said I'm not carrying
that thing around, took a .338win instead no regrets.

Most of the stuff I bought was just to get it out of my system. Most of it's down the road now and I wouldn't want too many back.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a damn nice looking rifle!

Thank you.
Originally Posted by mart
Because your life as a rifleman will not be complete without one. It's neither too big for deer nor too small for elephant.

Used one of mine on a springbok in 2016.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CRS Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/12/19
You do not "need" it, but you certainly want it.

Buy it! Enjoy it, and send it down the road when you are done.

Everyone should have a 375.
Originally Posted by CRS
You do not "need" it, but you certainly want it.

Buy it! Enjoy it, and send it down the road when you are done.

Everyone should have a 375.

Words to live by. At least I seem to have lived by them anyway.
A number of years ago I ran across a custom Win Model 70 in 458 Lott and I just had to have buy it. Beautiful wood. I didn't have plans for a hunt to use it but never the less I bought it. I have had it for over 20 years now. I still shoot it a couple times a year and clean it and back in the safe. I have considered selling it a few times but convince myself to keep it. I never regretted the purchase. Boy, it is fun to shoot.
Posted By: trplem Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/12/19
I've the same rifle. When not used for fun at the range, It makes a good hunting rifle, especially for squirrels. Those lil' sons a donkey whores don't suspect anyone to shoot through the tree to get 'em. Also, the CZ550 is heavy enough for a light arms workout device. More toning/endurance than strength building, but still an ok way to keep one self moving.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/12/19
A friend has a Daniel Frazier side lever single shot action which he plans to use for a 450-400.....someday.......I'm trying to get it from him and I'd have another 375 built. Why? I love custom single shots and it's a great caliber.
Posted By: xausa Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/12/19
A .375 H&H is a handy thing to have around for all kinds of things:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Krieghoff "Teck" O/U double rifle in .375 H&H. Tanzania, 1972.
I have a .375 H&H CZ 550 and it's probably the most accurate rifle I own. I am actually considering purchasing another .375 (if its still for sale in a couple of months) and I say this knowing my odds of going to Alaska or Africa are about the same as going to Mars.
Posted By: JGray Re: Why do I need a .375 H&H? - 01/13/19
Mine's a No. 1 and is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. I absolutely don't 'need' it, but won't getting rid of it...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/quote]
Walk through a trail of tall beach grass with bear track bigger than your boot print. And a 375 H&H seems small. Magazine full of 300 gr. Nosler partitions or Swift A-Frames gives me a warm feeling.
Good hunting
By the by my holland and holland is a Sako 75 SS
I also love the 9.3x62 as I have two of them. CZ550 FS and a Tikka T3 forester. One of the finest cartridges ever chambered. Hard to beat.
© 24hourcampfire