Home
The only rifles I ever use anymore are my VZ-24 8x57 and my Ruger 10/22. Now I thinned the safe out a couple years ago, I've got some in there for my kids plus a few for myself, but I have wondered at the point of the extras for myself. Now I've got 2 model 70's and an ER Shaw Mk.VII that I tricked out a bit, but I never, ever use them. Hell I scoped the 270 Fwt with a Meopta and put it in the back of the safe, and that's where it's been since I bought it. Sometimes I wonder why I keep the ones i don't use arround at all.
To each his own, but certainly not for me. grin

I would struggle to get down to one rifle for each cartridge.
You need one rifle for each day of the season!
Have a lot of stuff in the safe......but only one hunting rifle. Been that way, since 1990! memtb
Beware of the man with one rifle.....
I know just what your talking about I have a ton of rifles for big game but only use a couple. So I love my 7mm-08's I had 6 of them and I decided that I wanted to just have two or three really good one's. I have always loved the Sako Finnlight so I bought one in December now I have seven 708's wrong direction you say there is a reason to my madness. I am going to keep three 708's, my 358 Win and two 35rem, that will be all the big game rifles I will keep all others must go and that will be a bunch. My new Sako and my favorite Rem mod Seven will be my main ones to hunt with the rest are backups. I love my 708's and if I only want to have just one rifle it would be it and I could live with that it would just be a hard choice between the Rem or the Sako love them both but the Sako might just win. Widow
They all start looking the same after awhile...
Tim you did this last year too lol

I know what you mean, seems like there's a lot of wasted money in toys you don't use. But I need some new stuff now and then to keep my interest and new loads to work up etc. So I end up selling and trading and trying new stuff.

It definitely is not good for my wallet. But it's nice to have a hobby.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Tim you did this last year too lol

I know what you mean, seems like there's a lot of wasted money in toys you don't use. But I need some new stuff now and then to keep my interest and new loads to work up etc. So I end up selling and trading and trying new stuff.

It definitely is not good for my wallet. But it's nice to have a hobby.

I have less rifles now...LOL
I honestly could hunt for the rest of my life with a 22 and a 12 gauge and a 243. But why? smile
Down to 3 rifle calibers here... 223, 308 and 22LR. Big or small, close or far, they do fine.
I am going to get down to one rifle pretty soon, using the proceeds of the sale of the others to finance hunting trips.
If your .270 is a Stainless Classic I call dibs!
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Both my M70's are SC Fwt's(.257 Roberts and 270).
I'd call those investments.
Did the one big game rifle thing for 20 years.

No plans to do it again. There are three .30-06 rifles in the safe but I have three daughters and, so far, three grandsons. Don't know what is coming in March. Might have to get another?
"Maybe I should get down to one centerfire... "

Tim,

I wouldn't go that far... keep an extra as a backup or loaner.

Jerry
One that is not an 8x57?
Originally Posted by Ken_L

That's how I see it.. Generally works quite well that way..
The late Allen Day inspired me quite a bit with his reasoning.. but being frugal certainly helps.
Like he said: Buy one or two quality rifles and spend the rest of your money hunting.

So, I have two hunting rifles, two varmint rifles and two long range rifles..

But when I find something selling under they intrinsic worth, I buy and sell at a later date.
I'm rapidly joining the 'less guns more hunts' group. I have a 7x57 that I will keep as it does a great job on 90% of what I do. I have a heavy sporter barreled 280 with double-set-triggers that is better at the 10% of longer shots. I also have a 30-06 that is almost identical to the 7x57, that is a back up for both. I'm a traditionalist. A traditionalists needs at least one of the three greatest center fire rifles of all time. I have two and would probably own a .375H&H if I had any need. All are on traditionally the greatest bolt action of all time. the '98 Mauser. At this time I'm considering barreling my 280 to 30-06 and selling my other '06.I'll then have two guns for every thing I do and for all practical purposes back up each other. This wouldn't have made sense 20yrs ago when I was 50, but it does now. capt david.
[Linked Image]

*grins*
CowboyTim... Go for it! If you make it there, you will be the first person I know to do so... smile
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

A Fwt .257 Roberts. smile
Seems to be trend around here of late. Maybe it's due to the preponderance of geezers starting to feel the icy grip of death on the backs of their necks. (Whoops, scared myself!)

As to myself, a few days of carrying around a 6 1/2lb rifle in the woods has me wondering why I've spent most of my life carrying 9-pounders. I'm starting to think the light one will be getting the bulk of attention from now on. Not planning a fire sale just yet though; I still like the other ones for various reasons, and there's a pile of powder, brass, and bullets that needs to be used up. New ones, other than range toys, are going to have a tough time finding their way in though.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
CowboyTim... Go for it! If you make it there, you will be the first person I know to do so... smile

Orion2000, Hello, my user name is “memtb”.....so now we’re officially introduced! Having/using one rifle/caliber, really isn’t that difficult....provided you accept that it “will not” be perfect for every hunting scenario. I’ve used one rifle exclusively since 1990, and my wife since 1996. The bullets have changed a couple of times during that period of time, and scopes once.

In the safe, we’ve got many calibers covered from .223”up to and thru .458”. I am a firm believer in that “if” you use, the one rifle exclusively concept....you will perform to your best potential with that rifle. We chose a caliber compromise, with which we can hunt any North American game animal and all African plains game. We run one bullet, one load, and one zero. When you shoulder your rifle, it’s like putting on a well worn pair of gloves.....it simply fits! memtb
Pappy348, I can certainly understand and do concur with the lighter rifle concept! But, as I’m a “puss”....I couldn’t handle the recoil issued by a 7 or so pound rifle, in my chosen chambering. Don’t want to change from my preferred set-up! Will manage as long as possible! memtb
While I confess to thinning the herd of some large and medium bore rifles starting in 2011 or so because I don't see another trip to Africa in my future; in the event I have a financial windfall I do have a 338 Win., a 9.3x62mm and a 375 H&H on stand by.

I am using my small bore rifles more and even adding to their number. I am finding it more difficult to thin these out but some will need to go, just not quite sure where to start?

As an unrepentant rifle looney let me say that I do miss my old Parker Hale 404 Jeffery.

Good luck in your quest in getting down to one centerfire rifle.

StarchedCover
My wife and kids will split my rifles between themselves.
Originally Posted by memtb
Pappy348, I can certainly understand and do concur with the lighter rifle concept! But, as I’m a “puss”....I couldn’t handle the recoil issued by a 7 or so pound rifle, in my chosen chambering. Don’t want to change from my preferred set-up! Will manage as long as possible! memtb

Nothing here can't be handled by a 6mm, or mostly even a .223. My son's 6.5 Hunter, at maybe 7lbs all up, is a little lively off a bench, but certainly not uncomfortable. I doubt a .270 would be much worse at that weight. Of course, some like bigger holes in their barrels, and maybe their game, so as usual, it depends, as Mule Deer often says.

Also, what's fine at 50, or even 60, might not be so hot, say seven years later.
I think that one’s physical conditioning helps manage recoil better.....at least I try to use that as inspiration to “try” and stay in a little better shape! These hills here, get a little longer and a little steeper every year, conditioning is important to being able to keep hunting....though we don’t hunt as hard as we used to! memtb
Hmmm... In 65 years I have never sold a rifle unless it was specifically to finance the purchase of it's replacement. From my cold dead hands....
Well maybe, but some begin to get headaches or other symptoms that aren't easily connected to strength and endurance. I bought a 1A .45/70 a few years ago and it just wasn't any fun for me, even loaded pretty soft. Joints deteriorate, and other stuff wears out regardless of traditional fitness parameters, and it gets easier to hurt oneself as you age, and takes longer to heal. Got a new twinge in my left shoulder this year that probably came from cocking my crossbow. Should know by maybe August if it's forever or temporary.

Keep at it as long as you can. You'll know when it's time to lighten up.
Pappy348, You give me far too much credit! grin memtb

Well if you really want to part with that .270 let me know, that is if SC stands for Stainless Classic and not South Carolina.
i'm fine with getting down to one rifle for all big game. as soon as my grand children grow (there are 11 so far) they get them all except my favorite 308. the older i get the less i need. ymmv.

Well if you really want to part with that .270 let me know, that is if SC stands for Stainless Classic and not South Carolina.

They are South Carolina made rifles.
memtb,

Good afternoon. Hope all is well in your part of Wyoming. I have no issue with becoming proficient with one rifle. I have no issue with having multiple others in the safe. However, I interpreted the last line of the OP as contemplating why keep (own) the others? Question is: Could you sell everything in the safe except the one rifle you have been using for the past 27 years and be satisfied with owning one and only one CF rifle ?

My answer is NO. Even though I have narrowed down to a LH Rem KS in .270 as my primary CF rifle, I just enjoy tinkering. As a result, I will likely never get down to owning only one CF rifle.

... Sometimes I wonder why I keep the ones i don't use arround at all.
I thought about how I would try to develop a reason why I would logically lay out the reason that I am the way that I am and then it came to me that it wouldn't do any good. It hurts my soul when I see people buy and sell rifles like they change underwear. But then I wouldn't get the deals on the rifles that I have got if that wasn't happening. So go for it, sell the rifles that you have spent your whole life working to make right. Take the soul out of them, take the experience out of them. Sure Allen Day who was a great writer and excellent hunter had a great idea of getting the very best functional rifle and then hunting the heck out of it. I think Jack O'Connor was kind of like that too. Count me on the Elmer Keith or Phil Shoemaker side of the ledger. Elmer might not have done as well as Jack when it came to the hunts to wild lands(granted that Elmer went to Africa) but Elmer had better guns. He knew that Jack Corbett's Rigby was worth the effort to get. I have two 1895s that belonged to one of my heroes that I picked up for a song($350) when his grandson sold them for Japanese comics and anime DVDs. Count me weird but I will do that everyday because I respected the man and want my memories of how great a man he was to continue. I am also growth minded and go from classic 7X57s and 06s to Bigger-Faster-Stronger-Smaller-Faster-Stronger magnums. I am getting to the place where I want some legacy rifles that are truly remarkable and I am going to work towards getting a few additional rifles that I figure are best of the best. I eventually want 1 double rifle(probably English but second step(Hollis or Army and Navy) two medium caliber custom centerfire rifles(Al Biesen or Griffen and Howe Springfield Sporters( I have a Sedgley already) and 1 larger caliber custom centerfire rifle(Sterling Davenport or Duane Wiebe). I have about five years of teaching, I could retire right now, to get there. I also want to go to Africa and maybe do an Ibex hunt in Mongolia. I will still follow that line that my father had laid out for me. I remember the great joy he would have when I would bring a gun home and how he would work with me as I would massage it up to shape. I just wish that I would have had more time with him but I will carry his way with me and I will be damned sure that my rifles carry on as a collection and mean something. Our lives on earth are very short and our work needs to have some kind of meaning more than Yugioh cards.

Orion2000, Perhaps, I should improve my reading comprehension, or take more time reading. With that understanding of the OP’s post, I guess that while I only use one....I’ll keep the others. I couldn’t be down to “only” one centerfire rifle at the house. I’ve got grandkids and great grandkids, that “may” want and appreciate some of them. memtb

They are South Carolina made rifles.

That's what I figured they were, still good rifles I love my SC built EW in .270.
Memtb, what is your chambering of choice?

-Jake
Originally Posted by rj112275
Down to 3 rifle calibers here... 223, 308 and 22LR. Big or small, close or far, they do fine.

Perfect
Sometimes I wonder why I keep the ones i don't use arround at all.

My answers for myself:

A. because I like them.

B. because I want to keep them.

Jerry
I see many lines of reasoning but the one I see that makes me lauph the hardest is the one about being prepared for a tyrannical government! The tyrants have been ruling for over 100 years now and that is solid proof that the masses will not rise up. That leaves a Man to make serious decisions about survival in the future and how a person will proceed. I recommend travel light, efficient, with the absolute necessities for survival. Live simple, prepared, and according to the facts!

The man with one solid hunting weapon who can remain flexible and is able and prepared to move fast will hunt for another day! The man who is ready to defend his Arsenal, home, and property will get his weapon pried from his cold dead hands.

There is a small possibility the new president will lead the military, law enforcement, along some patriots into an all out civil war! If that happens you saved your Arsenal for a reason. If it doesn't happen this country has only prolonged it's death throws and there coming soon! Everyone can see it

Trystan
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Memtb, what is your chambering of choice?

-Jake

Jake, These were for North America and possibly African Plains Game. My rifle, .375 AI (250 TTSX’s @ 3130), and my wife’s rifle, a .338 WM (225 TTSX’s @ 2950). I had mine built with Africa in mind, if I were planning to hunt “only” NA, I may have gone .338WM....though I love my .375 AI. memtb
Originally Posted by Trystan
I see many lines of reasoning but the one I see that makes me lauph the hardest is the one about being prepared for a tyrannical government! The tyrants have been ruling for over 100 years now and that is solid proof that the masses will not rise up. That leaves a Man to make serious decisions about survival in the future and how a person will proceed. I recommend travel light, efficient, with the absolute necessities for survival. Live simple, prepared, and according to the facts!

The man with one solid hunting weapon who can remain flexible and is able and prepared to move fast will hunt for another day! The man who is ready to defend his Arsenal, home, and property will get his weapon pried from his cold dead hands.

There is a small possibility the new president will lead the military, law enforcement, along some patriots into an all out civil war! If that happens you saved your Arsenal for a reason. If it doesn't happen this country has only prolonged it's death throws and there coming soon! Everyone can see it

Trystan

Good Post.

I used to think that way too. I used to be the guy that the other Harvard Alumni used to make fun of. But as life on the blue walls has gotten dicier and things are starting to crumble they started to slowly change and this is about two to three months after Parkland. We now have a facebook group dedicated to Prepping. They definitely talk about the great cull. Its something that you don't hear about from many groups. I know that I would rather be Napoleon the pig from Animal Farm than Boxer the big horse that gets worked to death. If stuff goes down I expect that there will be private jets incoming and I will have company. They may not know how to use rifles really well but they can synthesize my blood pressure medication, reconfigure circuits, and hack computer systems. I don't think its going to happen for another 20 years especially if RBG takes a dirtnap. Alaska will be the last to go.
If I ever get down to one centerfire it's guaranteed to be a 30-06.
memtb, I'm with you on the kids and grand kids. Started dispersing to the kids and grand kids two years ago. Three more were committed to individuals this weekend. I am in the camp of I would rather that they have the opportunity to start enjoying them sooner vs later.

Kaboku, Firearms with sentimental value / heirlooms stay in the family. My dad's shotgun. My FIL's service rifle. My first single shot .22 that I shot my first squirrel with, that my son shot his first squirrel with, that hopefully his son will have an opportunity to shoot his first squirrel with... The heirlooms that have not already been passed along, have hang tags on them with the appropriate names.

You mention Elmer Keith. I just finished reading "Hell, I was there." While Mr. Keith did far more shooting and hunting than I could ever dream of, he also did a fair amount of flipping and trading along the way trying out new rifles, revolvers and cartridges to find what worked best for his situation. While on a much smaller scale versus Mr. Keith, much of my buying and selling has also revolved around finding what feels best and works best, for me. Not done, yet. But closing in on it !
I like to thin down the collection now and then so I can rebuild in a different direction.
Originally Posted by Northman
The late Allen Day inspired me quite a bit with his reasoning.. but being frugal certainly helps.
Like he said: Buy one or two quality rifles and spend the rest of your money hunting.

So, I have two hunting rifles, two varmint rifles and two long range rifles..

But when I find something selling under they intrinsic worth, I buy and sell at a later date.

That's a name I hadn't read in a long time. I met Allen hunting pronghorn with Kirk Kelso in New Mexico in 1999.
He had an Echol's Legend, .300 Win Mag with a chocolate brown stock and red recoil pad. Leica Optics.

I had a Weatherby Accumark in .300 Wby and Leupold optics.

Best thing he did for me was to put me onto Mark Penrod. Penrod built me a Model 70 with Blackburn bottom metal and magazine that holds four down of .300 Wby.
It sits in a sage green Legend stock. That one would be my one rifle rifle battery.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by rj112275

Perfect

Yep. Pretty tough to beat that combo.
Originally Posted by moosemike
If I ever get down to one centerfire it's guaranteed to be a 30-06.

Maybe that’s why mine is still around even though I seldom use it. Happy Trails
I hunt quite a bit with my 30-30 levergun and it has never let me down. Years ago, I was focused mainly upon antler size but now my quest is for younger deer because of tastier meat!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ken_L

Ditto
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I hunt quite a bit with my 30-30 levergun and it has never let me down. Years ago, I was focused mainly upon antler size but now my quest is for younger deer because of tastier meat!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

Looks like a PA ear tag. Are you another transplanted Pennsylvanian?
© 24hourcampfire