Home
I'm in the process of buying a non threaded Montana 223. From what I found, it's a 1-9 twist. How heavy have you been shooting? I've got a bunch of 80 grain Nosler CC's, hpbt, and a bunch of Varget. I think I have some 62 and 65 gr Sierra's. Anyone shooting the 80's with success? Thanks!
Weight isn't a factor,LENGTH is.

Focus the Hornie 75HPBT solely.

Hint................
Thank you. I've got a couple hundred of them as well.
1000 words.

[Linked Image]

75 Hornie HPBT,5th from right of frame,in betwixt 70 GMX and 75 A-Max.

Hint...............
75 may or may not. 68, 69 & 70 definitely will.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
75 may or may not. 68, 69 & 70 definitely will.

DUMB Fhuqk...weight is moot.

Hint.

The 75 Hornie HPBT will.

Hint..............
One of My Montana's favorite loads is a Barnes 62 grain tsx/ttsx with 23.5 of Varget, it also likes a Sierra 65gr Gameking and 24.0 Varget but My rifle has not been picky with loads, it has shot virtually every load ive tried so far MOA .....Enjoy!.....Hb
The 62 is a hammer and easily the best X going.

The 75 Hornie is stalwart in it's resolve and rugged reliability..................
Fug Stick, the 75 BTHP is too long for some button rifled barrels. The twist rate labeled on the barrel isn't always what you get.

HINT....
DUMB Fhuqk,

Your Imagination and Pretend,are taking you places which do not exist. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What twist rate is "labeled" on a Montana 223 barrel?

LAUGHING!.................
The guy said he has a 9 twist, Dumb Fug Stick
Fug Stick, the 75 BTHP is too long for some button rifled barrels. The twist rate labeled on the barrel isn't always what you get.

HINT....

When you "see" your first Montana 223,be sure to chime in. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!............
Ooopsie!

[Linked Image]

LAUGHING!................
Montucky 223 101.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Lever',400's and positive headspace. With that in hand,slide mag shim,to account for same.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Leave room to chase lands.

[Linked Image]

Shorten ejector/bolt stop for that COAL.

[Linked Image]

Scallop ejection port.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And then simply flog on the bitch.

Hint.................
Mine was really accurate from the factory so I had it reamed by IT&D. It couldn't stabilize the 75g Amax, and I've put the 75g HPBT, 75g Berger, 73g ELD, 70g RDF and the 77g TMK thru it. 28g of Lever and the 77g TMK work well.
I hear good thangs.................(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hear good thangs.................(grin)

I don't. I mostly hear about Kimber Roulette losers.
Birds of a feather,flock together. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Bless your heart..............
Ooopsie!..................

[Linked Image]
Coupla more,punched out.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Guess I'm lucky cause I'm 3 for 3.
I've only seen dozens.................(grin)
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
One of My Montana's favorite loads is a Barnes 62 grain tsx/ttsx with 23.5 of Varget, it also likes a Sierra 65gr Gameking and 24.0 Varget but My rifle has not been picky with loads, it has shot virtually every load ive tried so far MOA .....Enjoy!.....Hb

Two bad them Va deers is two thick for 62’s. 😑
Never seen one.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!..............
Never ever.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Takes alotta bone to catch one.

[Linked Image]

Hint..................
I think Bigg Stik is onto something..... have you tried any out of a Montana , Stik?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I think Bigg Stik is onto something..... have you tried any out of a Montana , Stik?

It's your Imagination,be sure to Pretend with it,as you MUST. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Bless your heart.............
Originally Posted by 16bore

Uh huh.......
I use the 62 Barnes on pigs. I’ve killed many with them, that is what I would use. I use Varget also.
In OEM guise,the 75 Hornie and Lever',have no equal...................
62 TSX is what my 84M likes too. Lever, 4064 and 4895 all work though lever seems to give the best velocity.

Several antelope and one mule deer have died from the 62 TSX in my rifle, from ~100 to 552 yards. One bullet was an issue on the deer, but it seems to have been an anomaly.
Think you boys talked me into giving Lever a whirl...................(grin)

They think our deer are coated in Kevlar! Nothing under 6mm for us, dammit!
A 270 Montucky with 105's and Lever',don't suck.

Hint.......................
Some great info here. I've got 62's, 65's, and 75's in the line up. Little mill work and bedding and I'll be off.
It'll prolly garner some use,by default................

Lmao! ..I believe Kentucky DNR thinks their deer are also too thick for a .22, thats where i do my serious Whitetail rifle hunting...I use this little Montana for my coyote hunting attempts or occasionally i will hunt Fall turkey with it for something different..it is a fun/cheap to shoot rifle that almost always accompanys me every time I go to the range.....Hb
Montucky 223 101.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Lever',400's and positive headspace. With that in hand,slide mag shim,to account for same.

Scallop ejection port.

Hint.................

Or sell the crippled-from-factory POS out and get a Tikka. Save yourself all the required surgeries on a 1200 $$$ POS!!!
Ooopsie!...............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Fotis
Montucky 223 101.

Scallop ejection port.

Hint.................

Or sell the crippled-from-factory POS out and get a Tikka. Save yourself all the required surgeries on a 1200 $$$ POS!!!

I bought this POS Tikka used from shortactionsmoker.

[Linked Image]

He totally hosed me on the deal. Doesn’t shoot worth a damn.

P
Ping Pong Ball at spitting distance,don't discern much. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I just might have a 223 or two.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................
And how many surgeries did you have to perform of that Tikka in order to shoot that way?????

, exactly my point
I believe Kentucky DNR thinks their deer are also too thick for a .22, thats where i do my serious Whitetail rifle hunting...

No, you are welcome to deer hunt in KY with a .223. I like going there too.
And how many surgeries did you have to perform of that Tikka in order to shoot that way?????

, exactly my point

Kchuntis,

Your bone deep Dumbfhuqktitude,never disappoints in it's magnificent grandeur. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
I believe Kentucky DNR thinks their deer are also too thick for a .22, thats where i do my serious Whitetail rifle hunting...

No, you are welcome to deer hunt in KY with a .223. I like going there too.

Wow! I was not aware of this. The Ky hunting regs says any caliber centerfire rifle may be used (I guess even .17 cal) and even .35 cal or larger airguns are legal!....πŸ‘ I might just hunt a few days with this little Montana this Fall 😁.....thanks for the info.....Hb

, exactly my point

I had the stock painted. Tightened groups WAY up.

P

, exactly my point

Kchuntis,

Your bone deep Dumbfhuqktitude,never disappoints in it's magnificent grandeur. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

Snappy comeback inbred elf...and I was not referring to you.
Kchuntis,

What's it like,to always be in a conversation with wares you've never even fhuqking seen? Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.....................
When you reach my level (IN ANY WAY) then you can talk. Until then go count your additional chromosomes jackwagon.
Kchuntis,

STUPIDITY isn't a "level,it's a plight. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint....................
When you reach my level (IN ANY WAY) then you can talk. Until then go count your additional chromosomes jackwagon.

Wouldn't see this Deleted.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Kchuntis,

STUPIDITY isn't a "level,it's a plight. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................

You should know. You are the epitome of same. Grumpy
Kchuntis,

I'm as ease in sandbagging,as you are in talking out your ass. Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint...............
70 grain Speer works for me and is cheap! Not out of any Kimber either!
Originally Posted by rickt300
70 grain Speer works for me and is cheap! Not out of any Kimber either!

NOTHING fhuqking funnier,than a Texan using a Texan...as a barometer of "evaluation",in wares welllllllll beyond their "means". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!..............
Just because the bullet conforms more closely to your stature doesn't mean it is without value! I wished I was skinny too but I'm over it. I have used the 70 gr. Speer to kill a lot of different animals and it worked pretty well.
The 70 Speer is a VERY poor trade in mass,to aero form and it's "terminal affects" are mundane,at best. They can't be driven fast,they don't fly worth a fhuqk and pale terminally to say a 64gr PP. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Glad to know the feral hogs and deer I killed with them didn't know that! Oddly sometimes the numbers on paper BC and SD are just that and simple mass works just fine. Obviously even you catch fish!
Facts and Physics suffer no emotion...despite you RAGING Estrogen Levels. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If you "think" a .224" 70gr Speer is "neat",you'd best fasten a seat belt and bolt on a helmet,for the good stuff. Hint.

Laughing!..................
Hah you are a funny one Stick. It is just a bullet as are any of them. If the bullet hits something going fast enough in the right place what it looked like when launched isn't important. I trolled you Hah!
Hah you are a funny one Stick. It is just a bullet as are any of them. If the bullet hits something going fast enough in the right place what it looked like when launched isn't important. I trolled you Hah!

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

It'll only come as a "surprsise" to you,that they are not all "equal". Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image]

Hint.

LAUGHING!..........
What! No 70 grain Speer?
What! No 70 grain Speer?

It will ONLY "surprise" a Texan,that wares that don't make the cut...simply don't make the fhuqking cut. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!..............
Haven't read the whole thread. What's the view of the Berger 70 grain VLD as a hunting bullet?
Bergers are zookie and an easy pass....................
I have only used the 70 Speer on Sitka blackmail deer. I used a mid load in a 22-250. They are fully adequate for small deer. One deer I shot at 15 feet and the bullet exploded on the shoulder but still put a good hole through the first lung. The rest of the deer from 50-200 yards all had exits.

Don't shoot them close up in the shoulder at high velocity and they will be fine. Kinda goes for a lot of bullets though don't it?
.224's are too small for Deer.

Hint..............
Another good bullet built like ole Stick here, the Speer .224 45 grain soft point. Usually a tack driver, cheap, kills coyotes and to get it to work all you need is 2700 fps. I keep it for my average coyote calling and around the house varminting. It abilities are on a par with how well Stick runs his mouth! Hint.
© 24hourcampfire