Home
Like a dumb@$$, a couple years ago I sold a beautiful walnut stocked M700 CDL chambered in 25-06. I am still kicking myself for consigning that rifle. i never scoped it or fired it. I doubt I will ever find another M700 CDL with a stock that nice... but I am looking... pickin's are thin on GB at the moment. 25-06 seems out of vogue.

In the meantime... while I search for another one, please let us hear about your accolades for the 25-06!!!!

Heck, this even makes me think about the SB... Patriots (25-06) vs Rams (6.5 Creedmoor)...

grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(same gun, different stock)

[Linked Image]
What Bullet?
The whitetail fell to a Hornady American Whitetail factory cartridge with a 117gr Interlock.
Here is an old 25-06. It’s marked, 25 Niedner, built by Iver Henriksen.

[Linked Image]
I have wildcats on both sides of the .25-06 (6mm-06 and 6.5-06 improved). Even though the 6s and 6.5s have a better high BC bullet selection I felt bad not having a 1/4 bore but didn't want to have a chambering mishap (all my 6-06 ammo is headstamped .25-06). To scratch the .257 itch I rebarreled a M70 to .257 Roberts AI. The AI gives me lower end .25-06 performance in an efficient little case with no worries about jamming a .25-06 in my 6mm-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With modern bullets I don't think there is much the old .25-06 can't do on medium sized game at all practical ranges.
Originally Posted by hanco
Here is an old 25-06. It’s marked, 25 Niedner, built by Iver Henriksen.

[Linked Image]

Sweet rifle hanco!
Thank you, my favorite rifle I think. Made in the fifties.
I tend to be a bit slutty with rifles and lots come and go at my house but one like that would probably find a nice corner in my safe and stay there until antelope season every year smile
Dogger,
About ten years ago I was in Billings and stopped at my favorite gun store and ended up buying a new Tikka 695 in 25-06. Absolute tack driver right out of the box. Trigger is like like glass and I can't load a bad round for this rifle. Shoots everything from 87 grain to 150 and I have to work to make it come out of 1/2 moa. Great wood to boot.

W. Bill
Mine is a SS 700 Mountain Rifle with a Lilja in 25-06 AI. I'll never be without one one. 100 grain BT's and 100 Scirocco's do everything I need out of a 1/4 bore. One of my favorite rifles.
110 grain Accubonds @ 3200 fps into tiny little clusters are why mine is a great hunting rifle. It is a 700 SS DM with the enhanced engraving.
Had a few and sold them...will have another, love them. Just a nice rifle all round. If I had the money there would already be one in my safe.
I only have two 25-06's. One is a 700 ADL in a custom maple stock. It's a first year production from January '70. Over 3000 rounds down the tube and it still prints .75" groups all day long. I loath the day I actually HAVE to have it re-barreled.
[Linked Image]

When my Dad shot out his BAR, I gave him the above rifle and found a pawn shop rescue in 25-06. I put it in a nice piece of walnut from Fajen. No idea how many rounds down it when I got it, but I've since put just over 2000 rounds.

[Linked Image]

Both like a dose of IMR7977 and the 110 gr Accubond. Both print .75" groups or better. The blond stock has accounted for more than 150 whitetail in it's day as well as about a dozen mule deer and my first two elk. With the 2nd rifle, I took my longest measured, witnessed shot on a whitetail - 563 yards. The walnut stock has taken a whitetail at just under 550 yards. Both of those with a 120 Speer and IMR4831. Both elk were taken with 120 gr Nosler partitions.
I have one in a Howa. My oldest daughter and I filled a doe tag each with it this last season. Second time we shot deer the same day with that rifle.
I have had a .25-06 for a long time now but hardly ever use it. I do remember how well it was thumping good sized boars on the wheat crops the last time I took it out. I was using Federal 120gn Speer factory loads and it was just dropping the piggies straight down when hit right in the centre of the shoulder pads. I think I don't really like the rifle which is why I don't use it more often. Most of my hunting is at ranges of 100m or less so the .257 Roberts seems to do just fine.
Originally Posted by Dogger
Like a dumb@$$, a couple years ago I sold a beautiful walnut stocked M700 CDL chambered in 25-06. I am still kicking myself for consigning that rifle. i never scoped it or fired it. I doubt I will ever find another M700 CDL with a stock that nice... but I am looking... pickin's are thin on GB at the moment. 25-06 seems out of vogue.

In the meantime... while I search for another one, please let us hear about your accolades for the 25-06!!!!

Heck, this even makes me think about the SB... Patriots (25-06) vs Rams (6.5 Creedmoor)...

grin

Mine was a Ruger77V, tang model. Fiddleback from end to end. MOA out of the box, but only when I went to neck sizing fired brass. Before that it was about 3 MOA with factory ammo (Rem as I recall- only thing I could get in the village) - not real good for an open country gun! I used 120 gr Speers and a $19.95 Lee reloading kit. Slow, but effective, and those Arctic nights are long!

When I moved out of the Arctic the first time (1977), down into moose country, I decided it was "too light", and sold it to buy a .30-06.

What a fool!

In the two years I hunted with it, it killed more than 20 caribou from about 70 to over 500 yards., most of them over 200, under 400. All but the first one bang-flop, and that second bullet wasn't necessary anyway.
My observations on the 25-06 it kills about the same as a .270......maybe a little quicker. Who knew?
No doubt the 25.06 is my favorite caliber and i've been shooting one for around 30yrs. I've had several different rifles chambered in 25.06 over the years, Rem 700 adl, Rem 700 sendero, rem classic and currently a Rem 700 CDL. The 25.06 is accurate and easy to load for as well as a fast flat shooting round with mild recoil that hits the target hard and kills deer like lighting, whats there not to like. I could never see myself not owning one. Mike

The one on the bottom is my 25.06
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mine is a Weatherby 6 lug fiber mark version. Shoots great. Everything from 87gr Sierra to 117gr Sierra and all points in between. Currently loading 80gr and 100 gr Barnes TTSX but have yet to point them at anything in anger.
great posts. beautiful rifles.
I love mine. I've got the various 6.5 and 7mm caliber rifles that just beat up the 25 on BC, etc. However, I seem to always reach for the 25-06 when its hunting time as it has never failed me.
I've had the 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI, several 25-06s, and a couple of .257 Weatherby's. My favorite was the Weatherby, but now we have these new powders a 25-06 is a far simpler and equal killer, at least to me. Once you get past "Warp 8" going to "Warp 9" doesn't make much, if any, difference. I personally would want more rifle for an "all around" elk rifle, but it works for guys out here every year, especially on cow elk. Back in Texas I met several 25-06 users who were big on the 87gr Hornady for everything. I just recently was looking for another nice Mod 700 classic, and I was open to any caliber from 25-06 to 30-06. I found a .270 ( which I've owned/shot a lot but never hunted with much) and I'm not complaining. I'm just "OCD" enough that a .270 is my own personal minimum on elk, even cows. But that's just me, no flies on the 25-06 meant.
If it's half as good as 25 WSSM, it really must be great.
MRC x2 with 26" tube. Shoots factory barnes 100gr ttsx into nice, little groups. Hunt deer and black bear here in PA. I'd be comfortable pointing it at just about anything inside 300 yds, which is my limit anyway. Has made hunting very simple :-)
I've two in the house right now. One is a 77 tanger bought back in the early '90s for the princely sum of $300, including the leupie 3-9 it still wears. It kills things as well as a bunch of other cartridges inside 400 yds or so. Since it is the first genuine commercial made centerfire rifle I ever bought, there's no chance I'll be selling it.

The other 25-06 is an Interarms Mk X bought just a few months ago. The price was right for a fast-twist 7x57 project I've been pondering for a while now.
Currently the only 25-06 I have is a 7600 but it throws 115 gr. Partitions into .75 inch groups and carries damned well
My M70 FW gets carried almost exclusively the last couple of seasons. It shoots 100 TTSXs into tiny clusters with H4350.

Short action 70 FW in 25 Creed would kick ass.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I own a factory B78 in 25-06 and chambered a 1953 M70 in 25-06 and shot a deer.

I handload ~ 65 different cartridges, but my prefered series is
22LR
6mmBR
250 Sav
6.5-06
280AI
7mnRM
12 ga

One accolade I'd give to the 25-06 AI that I ran on a Ruger No.1 custom barrel is that when launching 100 grain NPT's I often got 2 exit holes on Whitetails.....

...which really didn't matter much because they went down quick like

I have a Sako A7 25-06 in a McEdge remy Varmint stock that I’ve shot 5 shot single hole groups with 8 or so times on different days.

That things is crazy accurate
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I handload ~ 65 different cartridges, but my prefered series is
22LR
6mmBR
250 Sav
6.5-06
280AI
7mnRM
12 ga

380?!! Clark, say it ain't so! laugh
700 CDL I picked up not long after that model was introduced. It does a fine job on mule deer, antelope and coyotes. Low recoil, lots of accuracy & speed. Topped it with a 6x Leupold and just enjoy the heck out of hunting with it in Washington & Wyoming. I often load for it with Wilson dies, usually with the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips & Retumbo:

[Linked Image]

This one fell to a 115 gr Berger VLD:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 25-06's my self ,the 1 st is a mid 70's pre XTR that shoots ok but not great. Still shot a pile of antelope, deer and coyotes though. The 2 nd a FIE FN actioned sporter it shoots well but needs a Monte Carlo modification on the stock and shorten to 14" pull. Thought I had enough 25-06's to get by until I stumbled into a deal on a Marlin XL_& for $200 + tax couldn't walk away from that. It shoots great ,better than the other 2 but only has a 22" barrel and lots of muzzle blast. It's a good cartridge with the right bullet in the right place for most of what we shoot. MB

This 25-06 probably killed more deer and antelope in Montana than most rifles have been aimed at...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I handload ~ 65 different cartridges, but my prefered

380?!! Clark, say it ain't so! laugh

That is not SAAMI 21.5kpsi SAAMI, my handloads are higher. 1100 fps 90 gr Gold Dot.
The 6 ounce pistol is 10 ounces loaded with a laser.
It fits in my shirt pocket.

I am in the lowest crime quadrant of a very low crime suburban city. 20,000 people, 1 murder in 100 years.
When I go to downtown Seattle at night, I carry a 45.
....... please let us hear about your accolades for the 25-06!!!

Only jeers. I witnessed a hunting partner shoot an Axis 5 times with a 25-06, chased it all over the Texas Hill Country & never recovered it. I was disgusted.

Originally Posted by Reloder28
....... please let us hear about your accolades for the 25-06!!!

Only jeers. I witnessed a hunting partner shoot an Axis 5 times with a 25-06, chased it all over the Texas Hill Country & never recovered it. I was disgusted.

Sounds more like a shooter problem than the cartridge...

I made a ton of one shot kills with that 25-06, this one is a goat and you rarely see a goat killed with a single shot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love the .25-06. It was my first deer rifle my dad gave me, a pushfeed M70 XTR. Shoots great groups with Sierra 120gr HPBT over a healthy dose of 4350. Several years ago, I slipped and fell on some wet rock and cracked the stock on that rifle right at the wrist. I about cried. I fixed it with some brass pins and beaded the action and it still shoots great to this day. When my son was old enough to hunt with his own rifle, my dad gave him a .25-06 Remington 700. He has killed many deer, pigs, turkeys, goats, and coyotes with that gun.It looks like it has been to hell and back, but it still shoots great. My dad still hunts with one also, either his standby Remington or occasionally his Ruger #1.
A 25-06 is hard to beat. I’ve been wanting to try the 100 grain Barnes in mine.
My wife bought me a 700 BDL Varmint Special in 25-06 year before last. Finally got it scoped with a period correct 6x18 Redfield recently and got my dies, brass and bullets. Ready to shoot. Not many around in the heavy barrels.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I made a ton of one shot kills with that 25-06, this one is a goat and you rarely see a goat killed with a single shot...

Must say I am a big fan of 1885’s. They certainly are not lighweight.
I have a Vanguard S2 in 25-06 that I got for something on the heavier side for predator calling. It shoots 115grn NBT with H4831 and RL22 at around 3/4 inch give or take........probably averages around .80. It will shoot 100grn SGK about the same with RL17, H4831 and RL22. But it will absolutely shoot ragged holes with Barnes 80 and 100grn TTSX bullets, which worked out great since we are going lead free in CA this July. I push the 80's to 3,660fps with 55.5 of RL17, the 100's are doing 3,200 with 54.5 of RL22. I really like the rifle, it is very light and carries well. I am really considering getting a 700CDL, they are beautiful rifles.
https://imgur.com/IDLEpCG
https://imgur.com/IKeqqkT
Originally Posted by bmoney
I have a Vanguard S2 in 25-06 that I got for something on the heavier side for predator calling. It shoots 115grn NBT with H4831 and RL22 at around 3/4 inch give or take........probably averages around .80. It will shoot 100grn SGK about the same with RL17, H4831 and RL22. But it will absolutely shoot ragged holes with Barnes 80 and 100grn TTSX bullets, which worked out great since we are going lead free in CA this July. I push the 80's to 3,660fps with 55.5 of RL17, the 100's are doing 3,200 with 54.5 of RL22. I really like the rifle, it is very light and carries well. I am really considering getting a 700CDL, they are beautiful rifles.
https://imgur.com/IDLEpCG
https://imgur.com/IKeqqkT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A friend of mine and his son each made one shot kills on 3 goats with his .22-250. You also know him. wink
I feel like I have to go to confession after reading this thread. My 30-06 knows I'm reading this heresy.
smile
My first centerfire was a Rem 700 ADL 25-06. I bought it at a GEMCO department store in Houston in 1974 for $104. Loaded it with shells that I made with one of those Lee hand tool loader kits.
Shot quite a few deer with it and some coyotes and PDs. Son shot a couple antelope. Friend shot antelope, mule deer and whitetails with it.
I’ll never sell it, but I don’t shoot it much these days..
Great cartridge.
Y'all are killing me!
I bought a Ruger 77 back in '83.....shot it on paper for years...it would put any 100 gn factory load in 3/4" at 200 yds. if I fed it 120's groups opened up to about 3" at 200. Like a fool it went on down the road a few years ago...wish I had it back as it was the first center fire rifle I bought....I know, I am a dumb a**.
New 2 99's thanks. What is the secret to this forum and posting pics like 99% of other forums. What am I missing?
My 25-06 went down the road....onward and upward

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...more upward

[Linked Image]
I know a man who retired from Remington a decade or more ago. He was a big wheel, and obviously had done well financially. He built a lodge for himself and his friends on a wonderful piece of mule deer ground in SE Montana to hunt annually. As a retirement gift, the company offered him anything he wanted from the custom shop. He requested a stainless 700 chambered in 25-06 in a synthetic stock, and subsequently used it exclusive to kill a nice buck most every fall, and the occasional bull elk. He swore he never needed anything more.
I made a Mauser in 25-06 for an old friend of mine about 17 years ago. Bob Ellis was his name. When he was sick and dying, he gave it back to me. He and I hunted together many times, and this light weight 25-06 was his favorite rifle. The old man was a terrific shot and killed a lot of deer and antelope with the rifle.
After he gave it back to me I used it myself on several hunts, always remember Bob, and the wonderful man and friend he was.
The barrel; on this rifle is only .465" at the muzzle and the gun is very light. I should remember what it weighs, but I can't recall exactly, but I can say it is just a bit over 7 pounds loaded, with the scope and sling on it. And it will fire the best load using 115 grain Barnes TXS and AA 3100 powder into a "Micky-Mouse Head" at 100 yards. He never killed an elk with it, and I have not either, but I would not hesitate to do it.
I’ve sold and traded many rifles. 25-06 never been one of them. The 25-06 was the first rifle my dad wanted to give me but ammo was hard to find in our area back in the 70’s. Settled for a 30-06. I later purchased my own 25-06. It will probably be the last rifle I’ll sell but only if I have to. Love how it shoots!
About 20 years ago , maybe 25 I had a 700 barreled up with a 26" #5 in .25-06... It has taken prairie dogs through mule deer.. Never had a shot at an elk when I was carrying it.. It is one of my three favorite calibers... I shot several .257 Wea. For my needs the .25-06 does it all with less pressure, and it is super easy to reload..
A 25-06 is hard to beat. I’ve been wanting to try the 100 grain Barnes in mine.

I have a new to me Savage in the 25/06 and bought some factory Barnes' ammo with the 100 gr. I hope to see how it does on WT's next year. I have shot plain ol' Rem CL 120 gr ammo on deer since 1980 when I bought my 1st one, a Ruger 77. Of the dozens of deer I have killed with those CL's, 85-90% fell right where they were shot and I rarely shoot high shoulder. Couldn't ask for anything more. But after shooting the TTSX 130 gr out of a 270 this past year, I want to try them out of a 25.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it several years back during a financial crisis at the house. I then bought a Marlin xl7 in the 25 about 9 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The 20 or so deer I have killed with it with the CL's have all been 1 shot kills/0 misses. This past fall the LGS had a Savage in the 25/06 and at $215 I couldn't pass it up. Those 2 will probably satisfy my love for the 25/06 which is my favorite cartridge until I can find an old tang safety in the caliber that I an afford. I never plan on being without a 25 until I die...hopefully I will be able to. Awesome deer cartridge. As someone else has said on this thread, it out kills other cartridges that are larger and faster IME.
I've had a stainless Remington 700 in 25-06 for 14 years now that I had the barrel fluted and bolt spiral fluted, it's a very well balanced rifle and probably one of the most versatile cartridges for Australian conditions , bar sambar on up.
I have shot literally a truck load of goats,pigs,ect with this rifle using 100g nosler ballistic tips and 110g accubonds and have been extremely satisfied with the performance of this quaterbore.
So who makes a good 25-06 these days. For me it would need a 24-26 inch barrel. Longish LOP, a great trigger. Any suggestions.
I all ways thought the most effective load I've used in my M70 push feed was the 120 gr Corelokt handloaded to around 3000 fps. Used to do that easy with Fed 215's and surplus H-870 in WW or RP brass. 120 gr Sierra HPBT's were fine on broad side shots but came apart on bone real easy. Need to get back to these old favorites again , won't bring back my youth but man do they let the memories flow. MB
I feel the same way about the old Hornady 120 HP. I never had a chance to chronograph it, but being young and "Impressionable" I used PO Ackley's load dat for my 24" .257 Roberts Ackley Improved...49gr IMR 4350 (if I remember right), with the bullet seated way out!. I only shot crows with it (boy did it make the yellow guts and feathers fly), had to sell it (young family then) and a friend killed Texas WTs with it like a lightning bolt, he said!
Originally Posted by MM879
I feel like I have to go to confession after reading this thread. My 30-06 knows I'm reading this heresy.

I have four 30-06’s, imagine the ass whipping I’m gonna get.
Originally Posted by MM879

I have four 30-06’s, imagine the ass whipping I’m gonna get.

Naahhh...Any daddy worth his salt loves to hear people brag on Jr.
I am fond of 25 caliber rifles, but don't have a 25-06 at this time. My first bolt action center fire rifle was a Remington 700 BDL in 25-06. With it I shot many woodchucks and deer. I sold it back in 1995 and went to a 243. I'm sorry I did,
Originally Posted by viking
So who makes a good 25-06 these days. For me it would need a 24-26 inch barrel. Longish LOP, a great trigger. Any suggestions.

I have a Barrett Fieldcraft 25-06, and for me, that is likely the best factory produced 25-06 on the market currently. It has a 24” barrel, and shoots the two factory loads I’ve tried in it well sub MOA. I would strongly recommend it, and I have had multiple 25-06’s.

I’m thinking of putting it up for sale in the classifieds as I’m going to pick up the same rifle in 280AI when they come out. I’ve put about 60 rounds through it to date, and it shot great. Didn’t have a chance to hunt it this past season though I realy planned to.
I will have to say my 2 all time favorite calibers are the 25-06 an 264 win mag I have owned several 25-06 mainly Rugers an 1 Remington, an 2 264 win mags. You can buy/load rounds in each caliber to hunt varmints up to deer/elk both calibers are easy on the shoulder an flat shooting.
A Remington CDL stainless would be a good choice!
Bmoney- did you do anything to the bedding on that Vanguard or is it stock?
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Bmoney- did you do anything to the bedding on that Vanguard or is it stock?

Completely stock. It will do that every single time with Barnes TTSX, other bullets not so much. Here are some others with 100 and 80grn TTSX
https://imgur.com/Ggspl8h
https://imgur.com/ufMXu0t
Originally Posted by viking

Very happy with my MRC x2. Some here have not had good experiences with Montana, but I would recommend, especially since they do a 26” barrel. If I were going to splurge, I think a blaser k95 in 25-06 would be lovely :-)
Man I sold my 1st deer rifle I ever owned, a Rem 700 BDL in 25-06 back in my 20s.
Regret doing that now.
Always been a 2nd tier sleeper, known by all and overlooked by most.
I have been thinking of the Browning Hell’s canyon
My favorite 25-06 was the Ruger Tang safety’s had 1 an sold it like a dummy it would shoot clover leafs all day long at 100
© 24hourcampfire