Home
Posted By: RevMike 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/06/19
I read on another site that it's going to be a 9.3x62.

I'm thinking Ingwe's 7x57 might need a big brother.

RM
Posted By: SWJ Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/06/19
Maybe not a 9.3x62 but interesting...

https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47186.html - 2018

Wow, sorry should have vetted my google search a little better before posting....

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUHM77RSB9.3X62
Posted By: mudhen Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/06/19
I had a Ruger African in 9.3x62 for a while. I really liked the way it fit me, the accuracy and it's classic appearance. However, I sold it after two or three seasons, largely because it was not exactly handy for the kind of elk hunting that I did. I would think that the same would apply to just about any kind of hunting from a stand, except perhaps a roomy box blind or shooting house.
After picking up last years Ruger African model in 6.5x55 and really enjoying it; the 9.3x62 would make an excellent twin.
The only catch is I have a CZ 550 LUX with great wood, shoots great and I have had it for 18 years that I'd hate to part with.
Of course all of the enablers on this site will say that I need another 9.3x62.

If they only produce 250 of these like the earlier releases these will not last long.
Maybe I'll check out Whittakers.

StarchedCover
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/06/19
Originally Posted by RevMike
I read on another site that it's going to be a 9.3x62.

I'm thinking Ingwe's 7x57 might need a big brother.

RM

Dat would make a great pair!
Posted By: Sako76 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
Ruger already produced a Hawkeye African in 9.3x62.
Posted By: RevMike Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
If that thread is accurate, it looks like they might do it again, only finished to match the other special offerings (black bolt, etc).
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
You boys go ahead. I'd have to do some pretty fancy imagining to come up with a purpose for a minor cannon like that, and am becoming somewhat addicted to the lightweight rifle concept as well. I do want to see yours when you get them, just like I'd enjoy seeing a picture of your pretty girlfriends.

The three Hawkeyes I've owned have all worked perfectly as they came, which seems to be a rare quality in popular-priced rifles these days, and even some pretty pricey ones. I'd not worry about getting a problem child.
Posted By: rj308 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
I understand these 9.3's have a lighter profile barrel than the original 9.3 Africans. And a black fore end tip. Nice. I bobbed my original to 21". It is much more handy and still has good "Hang" to it for offhand shots with that thick barrel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
If that thread is accurate, it looks like they might do it again, only finished to match the other special offerings (black bolt, etc).

Thats my understanding Mike...and if so you'll love it!

The African I bought to replace the Ingwe Special in .275 Rigby is skookum!
Those Lipsey's special run Africans are about the best looking rifle I've seen come from a factory in a long time. If they had produced some in left hand I'm afraid Mr. Renner might not have had nearly so much business from me.

Lipsey's African

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RevMike Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/07/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

Thats my understanding Mike...and if so you'll love it!

The African I bought to replace the Ingwe Special in .275 Rigby is skookum!

Not me,Pardner. I think I'm finished buying for a while. Instead, what I'm going to do is concentrate on better peripheral equipment and then maybe go on a more challenging hunt...before I get way too old to do anything but sit in a tree.
Nice saw one the other day chambered for 6.5x 55 Swede, price was attractive and the gun damn tempting....
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by Pappy348
am becoming somewhat addicted to the lightweight rifle concept

ugh, same here. and im a longtime admirer of excessive barrel contour. i know theres a tradeoff for the light rifle benefits, im just finding it to be outweighed (pun) more often than not. light rifle using a light cartridge is more fun to tote and pull the trigger on.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/13/19
I talked with Whittakers about this rifle. They said it's on their wish list and will be talking to Lipseys about getting it.

Hope its the norm 1:10 twist.

Maybe we could get a Campfire deal going with them.

Posted By: Oakster Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/13/19
Originally Posted by SU35
I talked with Whittakers about this rifle. They said it's on their wish list and will be talking to Lipseys about getting it.

Hope its the norm 1:10 twist.

Maybe we could get a Campfire deal going with them.

I would be very interested
Posted By: utah708 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/13/19
Too bad it is a 24" barrel. (Since they won't be offering it in LH, I need to find something to ding it on.)
I saw an African today in 6.5x55. The counter guy seemed to think it was this year's Lipseys Special.
Posted By: Horseman Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/15/19
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I saw an African today in 6.5x55. The counter guy seemed to think it was this year's Lipseys Special.

Pretty sure first year was 257 Rigby (7x57 mauser) and last year was 6.5x55.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/15/19
Is the forearm short enough for a Rigby style?
Posted By: SU35 Re: 2019 Lipsey Ruger African - 02/21/19
Whittakers has a few more coming to them.

I bought one from them today, from Eric ext 107

$1029.99

Not an easy to find rifle now.

© 24hourcampfire