Home
Any opinions on these expensive 22s ?.I gave my Taurus 22 pump to a grandson and miss a pump 22 . From the pictures they seem to be more like a CF rifle in size.I have never handled one. Reliability in feeding is on par with accuracy in my interest.
It’s cool because it’s a pump, but it’s also a little clunky. A Marlin 39 will outshoot it.
First rifle I ever owned was a M572.. I think I bought it in '62.. I probably ran about a million rounds through it and it was pretty accurate. Rarely, if ever, failed to feed that I can recall.. I reblued it in 2000 and finally sold it to a guy who was really looking for one about five years ago.. He was very happy with it..

Just be aware that the earlier models, after a lot of use, can develop bolt issues on lockup and parts to cure are N/A... Other than that - they work very well..
My experience with them has been flawlesss.
During the last decades marketing of questionable quality ammo with to many FTF, 572's are easy to clear. The 2 I have are reliable, accurate and not to picky on ammo.
I have a case of CCI CB longs that are very accurate, extremely quiet, and just right for red squirrels, starlings and my cellar range. No hearing protection required.
I do not think a 572 could be worn out in a mans lifetime, assuming some minimal decent care.
Have to admit that I am something of a 22 loony.
Edit: I am referring to the pump. As I'm am getting through life with fewer brain cells than most of you, I spend some time a little confused.
I think that they are the best .22 pump guns made since Remington transitioned to the 572 from the 121 and Winchester dropped the 61.

I also think that the 572 is superior to the Winchester 1890/1906/62 exposed hammer pump guns and their Rossi and Taurus clones because you can mount a scope on them and use them as a viable understudy for a pump action center-fire rifles.

I've owned 5 or 6 of them, still have one that is set up with a Weaver RV7 as an understudy for my 760s that also have 2-7x scope.

They are man-size rifles, fun to shoot, reasonably accurate, hard to go wrong.

EDIT: I wish that Remington had made them in .22 MAG, since the Remingtons are nicer than the 270/275 series of pump guns that Winchester replaced the 61 with.
I've owned one since the late 70's. Great rifles. At the bench hold the fore end.
Originally Posted by fishdog52
My experience with them has been flawlesss.
During the last decades marketing of questionable quality ammo with to many FTF, 552's are easy to clear. The 2 I have are reliable, accurate and not to picky on ammo.
I have a case of CCI CB longs that are very accurate, extremely quiet, and just right for red squirrels, starlings and my cellar range. No hearing protection required.
I do not think a 552 could be worn out in a mans lifetime, assuming some minimal decent care.

Um, he's asking about the 572, not the 552...
Redneck, I was referring to the pump. You'll have to find room in your heart to forgive my confusion. It's not so rare any more. I edited the post. This being human is tough on me on some days.
I greatly dislike the sights that Remington puts on them. Overall it's a good functioning rifle, so if you like it, get you one.
Love it! It's my favorite of all .22s. I would suggest buying a used older model to stay clear of remingtons sad but true quality control issue. Not picking on remington, I feel all newer production stuff has the same issues.
They’re bad ass
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13523516/remington-m572
Originally Posted by verns
Any opinions on these expensive 22s ?.I gave my Taurus 22 pump to a grandson and miss a pump 22 . From the pictures they seem to be more like a CF rifle in size.I have never handled one. Reliability in feeding is on par with accuracy in my interest.

verns,

I love mine (I bought it in 1966 when I was in college.) & money won't buy it. = LOOK for a GOOD used one from the 1990 era or before. - Cheaper & better made, too = NOT RARE so you should have no problem finding a GREAT pump .22LR at a local gun store, pawn shop or gun show.

Mine wears a 4X Leopold scope, btw.

My wife enjoys shooting it too. = It's the rifle that I started her out on & Darla had NEVER even held a firearm in her hands when we met.

yours, tex.
Was given my first 572 BDL in 1977 - a birthday gift, and ran it into the ground for the next ten years.

Hundreds of .CCI .22 rounds and hours in the sun plinking at the local ground squirrel population - loved that rifle.

I ran shorts, shot, and long rifle through it without issues.

The metal tab that held the rear of the forearm level on the magazine tube came out after a few years, so the pump had a bit of sag in the back of it, but I ran it hard.

I can't really attest to the real accuracy, as I was undisciplined in form and patience, but it killed game when I did my part.

Weaver .22 "Tip-Off" scope and brick of CCI Mini-Mags = fun afternoon.

I liked the fit and quality, the glossy finish was not a selling point for me, but it stood up well to rain and weather - used it year round for small game and general woods carry.

The rifle was stolen in 1997 near rural Raeford NC during a home burglary - and never recovered as far as I know.

I've replaced it a few years ago with a similar 572 BDL rifle, but it will never replace the original...
Have a 572 I won at a friends of the NRA banquet quite a while back. Has a gold inlaid squirrel on the receiver and other gold inlay. Shoots well, but the stock on this one seems a little long. Really nice rifle over all.
Posted the above and had to go get it out of the back of the safe and look at it. Two gold inlaid squirrel's, and a gold inlaid NRA emblem and gold ribbon with 2004 Gun Of The Year stamped on it.
I’ve tried to warm up to them as alternative to a Model 61. I can’t.
Originally Posted by byron
Posted the above and had to go get it out of the back of the safe and look at it. Two gold inlaid squirrel's, and a gold inlaid NRA emblem and gold ribbon with 2004 Gun Of The Year stamped on it.

byron,

LUCKY YOU. = Fyi, I've never won a single thing at a NRA banquet in 2 decades. Not even a free soft drink.

yours, tex
Do any of them have a steel receiver ? Thanks for all the good comments !
572s are steel and wood rifles, no aluminum alloy or plastic.
if you buy one ,check it out real good ,i thought i wanted one , a year or two ago seen one at sportsmans warehouse ,even sitting in the rack i could tell the front site was canted way over to the side ,thought it was just me ,so picked it up ,yep canted so much i doubt it had ,enuff adjustment in rear site to compensate ,do not know how that got out of the factory, that pretty much cooled me off of buying one
Originally Posted by verns
Do any of them have a steel receiver ? Thanks for all the good comments !

The 572 has had an aluminum receiver since it's beginning.
I thought the early ones were steel and later aluminum?
If you look real hard you might even find one anodized gold instead of black. I worked on a gold one at the gunshop one day and seem to recall that they may have offered another color too.

They’re good sturdy rifles with man sized dimensions. Generally feed and function great even with little to no maintenance and are accurate enough for plinking and squirrel shooting. I’ve thought of getting one for years but don’t want to scope it and I’m not a fan of the sights they come with.
Great they are.
verns,

There are "unconfirmed reports" that a VERY FEW Model 572 pump-rifles were made with steel receivers "on special order"..

Sadly, I cannot find any evidence one way or the other.
(Inasmuch as I routinely carry a magnet in my pocket at gun-shows, I may some distant day find such a rarity.)

yours, tex
I think I would like one however when you look on Gun Broker they are about $550. for the new ones and the used are close to $350 up. Considering the price of some new center fires they are at the top of what I would call sane ! Though the only other option I am considering is a BL 22 for the same money new .
© 24hourcampfire