Home
Posted By: Sika_ 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Looking to get a new 30 caliber for hunting. Not sure which one of the 2 three hundreds to get.
300 Win Mag. or a 300 WSM. Which one do you recommend and why do you recommend the one you do.
I have a couple reasons why I like the one I do but I want to see what others have to say to way out the options for the one that suites me best.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
FWIW,

I had several rifles chambered for each as well as the 300 Roy. Not one of your choices, but I am partial to the 300 H&H.
Just Sayin!

GWB
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Sika_
Looking to get a new 30 caliber for hunting. Not sure which one of the 2 three hundreds to get.
300 Win Mag. or a 300 WSM. Which one do you recommend and why do you recommend the one you do.
I have a couple reasons why I like the one I do but I want to see what others have to say to way out the options for the one that suites me best.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps and 30cal is pissing up a lotta rope.

Hint...............
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
I like the 300 WSM better, I think it is better designed but what I really like about it is it does well with powders like RL 15 and around that burn rate if you want a lower recoil load one day.
Pass the 7-08 and 180's...while holding the Fluff.

Hint................
Posted By: okie john Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19

They're pretty close. Check ammo prices at https://ammoseek.com/ammo/ and see if that pushes you one way or another.

Okie John
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
These are both great cartridges, I have owned and hunted for many years with dozens of different makes and models of bolt action rifles that were chambered in these two venerable cartridges. I have not experienced any inherent accuracy advantage with either cartridge and they both perform virtually the same in the field. I dont own any .300 Win mag rifles at present but I do own three rifles chambered in .300 WSM, I prefer it over the WM because I have always favored short action rifles and I think the .300 WSM is a superior cartridge design ( I like the steeper 35 degree shoulder angle and longer neck on the .300 WSM) ....that being said, I still love the .300 WM cartridge and im sure I will own others in the future đź‘Ť.....You cant go wrong with either choice here. Good luck.....Hb
The platform,it's RPM,throating and COAL dictate potential.

Hint...............
I've never shot a 300 WM but I own two 300 WSMs.

Took one of them hunting for the first time this last deer season. I ended up shooting two deer with it. I was using a hand load that contained a 165 gr. Hornady bonded bullet traveling right at 3,000 fps. Both the deer I shot dropped in their tracks and never twitched another muscle. To be honest I was very surprised by this because every other deer I've ever taken with cartridges ranging from .223 up to a 30-06 all ran at least a few steps. With the 300 WSM both deer just fell over dead. I'm now sold on it.
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
I've never shot a 300 WM but I own two 300 WSMs.

Took one of them hunting for the first time this last deer season. I ended up shooting two deer with it. I was using a hand load that contained a 165 gr. Hornady bonded bullet traveling right at 3,000 fps. Both the deer I shot dropped in their tracks and never twitched another muscle. To be honest I was very surprised by this because every other deer I've ever taken with cartridges ranging from .223 up to a 30-06 all ran at least a few steps. With the 300 WSM both deer just fell over dead. I'm now sold on it.

HILARIOUS!..................
I have owned my .300 WM since the early 70's.. With proper loads it will kick a 165 along at about 3350, a 150 at 3400, a 200 right at 3000... I bought one super grade Win in short mag.. Fooled with it a while and gave it to one of my namesakes.. He will probably get the old one also.. For me it is no choice.. WM all the way.. But I want a full length action.. The 700 allows one to seat the bullet out as far as necessary.. Some of the other popular actions do not do this..
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
With the 300 WSM both deer just fell over dead.

HILARIOUS!..................

Control yourself.
Posted By: Judman Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
[b][/b]I 'd wsm.... Because it's better...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
I like the 300 WSM. It has a short powder column & gives considerable gains over the 308 when you think you need it. Though I must say, you don’t often need any gain over a 155 Scenar running 2900 fps from a 308.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I like the 300 WSM. It has a short powder column & gives considerable gains over the 308 when you think you need it. Though I must say, you don’t often need any gain over a 155 Scenar running 2900 fps from a 308.

The 22 Kreedmire with 88's at 3250fps simply fhuqking crushes it.

Hint.................
Posted By: geedubya Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19

The 22 Kreedmire with 88's at 3250fps simply fhuqking crushes it.

Hint.................

Maybe in Alaska punching paper...........

even on 250 lb. and under deer and hogs I'll choose a 30 cal any day that ends in "'Y" over a 22 cal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
One SIL uses a WM, another uses a WSM, I use a WM. Pretty much the same.

Find a rifle you like and get it, whichever it comes in.

Used to be WM factory ammo was cheaper. Not sure if tht is still the case.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Both the WM and WSM are fine rounds. It is hard for me to ignore the fact that the military recently put a ton of development into the WinMag, to the point where they are now de-emphasizing the 338 Lapua. If nothing else, it suggests that the potential of the old WinMag exceeds the skills of most of us.
Add in the long and successful history of the WinMag in the field and in competition, plus availability everywhere's, it was my choice. I have no regrets.
Having said all that, and being a hand loader, I would happily go hunting with a WSM if one came my way.
No other callber has the track record for field performance, or is even close.

Other BS can be ignored.
'52,

Cite the "magic" Militasry Bullet,that "sways" the 30 an say sumptin' about it's velocity.

Be careful...because your attempt is gonna be fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Hint...............
Posted By: warpig602 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Had WM, sold it and bought a WSM after shooting a buddies. Pretty sure if I had to go to one caliber for everything it would be the WSM .
Originally Posted by warpig602
Had WM, sold it and bought a WSM after shooting a buddies. Pretty sure if I had to go to one caliber for everything it would be the WSM .

I shoot it all and then some. The 300WSM cannot begin to hold a candle to the 7 Whizzum.

Hint....................
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Rolled a bull moose with a 30 cal 150 gr Partition back in Sept., out of a 300 Savage.
The other 3 guys in camp did pretty much the same, but with 300 mags.
Only a fool argues with success.
Arrows do same. Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps and .308" 150gr NPT's,suck heavy ass in everything.

Hint..............
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Agreed that it is all about the platform and intended purpose. I have 300 WSMs and WBYs (close enough for this conversation to a WM).

I use a 26" barreled WBY for most hunting and expected long"er" range shots for MD, Elk, Bear, etc. I have all the confidence in this setup, thus why I have taken more game with it than the other 300s in my stable. With a Swaro Z5, the rifle weighs in just under 9#, fully loaded, slinged up, and up and out the door. Not too heavy, or too light and carries well on my shoulder. The rifle shoots extremely well. The only dig against it is the overall length. Not bad, but is why I got the WSM.

After chasing bulls in timber, I decided I wanted a better suited platform for it and general purpose mountain hunting. This WSM is a Model 70 FWT cut down to a 23" barrel by HCR. The shorter action and barrel with an McEdge, topped with a Z3 was perfect for my hunting.

Both setups do overlap for general hunting purposes and you could flip a coin between the WSM or WM but neither are a bad choice. I see general ammo for the WSM, WM, and WBY at most locales out West, so that really doesnt bother me as a backup plan in case ammo is lost. Any of them will make a good all purpose setup so go with the rifle you like the most.
Bullet? Speed?

Be careful.

Hint................
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
I would go with the .300 Win Mag. There is a larger selection of factory ammo for the .300 Win Mag (68) versus the .300 WSM (34).

Those numbers come from Midway USA website.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would go with the .300 Win Mag. There is a larger selection of factory ammo for the .300 Win Mag (68) versus the .300 WSM (34).

Oh my.

EPIC fhuqking humor!....................
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have owned my .300 WM since the early 70's.. With proper loads it will kick a 165 along at about 3350, a 150 at 3400, a 200 right at 3000... I bought one super grade Win in short mag.. Fooled with it a while and gave it to one of my namesakes.. He will probably get the old one also.. For me it is no choice.. WM all the way.. But I want a full length action.. The 700 allows one to seat the bullet out as far as necessary.. Some of the other popular actions do not do this..

I too played with the WSM awhile, never killed anything with it. I have two friends who like it a lot, use it on everything. I have killed more game with a 300 WinMag ( and I too prefer the Mod 700 LA) than any other magnum. I liked how the Sierra 150 Pro Hunter worked on small deer w/o tearing them up. On all the other game I used the older Barnes 180 XBT. Very few bullets were ever recovered. Its a toss up, really, and boils down to what rifle you like. I will say I have heard from other friends that sometimes they have feed problems with the shorter case & sharp shoulder. One is a high dollar Christensen Arms...I only had issues ever trying to get a couple Mod 70 300 Wins to shoot well. Magazine too short for the throat...at that time, I didn't try to open it up or go with a Wyatts.

Those numbers are perhaps a bit misleading, as they include types that are unavailable. For "Available" the numbers are 47 and 18. If you includes "Coming soon" and "Out of stock, Backorder OK", the numbers are 56 and 19.

Not criticizing, as I often refer to the total numbers as well, in the belief that they are still a relatively valid indicator. The .308 @ 123 and .30-06 @ 99 lead the pack.

In terms of cost, the cheapest WSM ammo is listed at $31.99. Midway lists 11 types of WM ammo from $23.99 to $31.99.
Few things funnier than a dumb fhuqk Tournament! You gals NEVER disappoint in oblivious humor,by simply doing your collective best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your hearts for fhuqking TRYING!

Hint.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Those numbers are perhaps a bit misleading, as they include types that are unavailable. For "Available" the numbers are 47 and 18. If you includes "Coming soon" and "Out of stock, Backorder OK", the numbers are 56 and 19.

Not criticizing, as I often refer to the total numbers as well, in the belief that they are still a relatively valid indicator. The .308 @ 123 and .30-06 @ 99 lead the pack.

In terms of cost, the cheapest WSM ammo is listed at $31.99. Midway lists 11 types of WM ammo from $23.99 to $31.99.

Good point CH. smile
Posted By: Tejano Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
300 H&H has the most panash. I like the 300WM but would consider the stubby depending on the platform. Especially for the oxymoron of a light weight 300. I draw the line at about seven pounds, lighter than this and they start to get snappy with 180 and above bullets. Another pound settles the rifle down quite a bit. My current rifle goes eight all up and that is not a bad weight for a 300 IMO. If I shot factory loads I might just go 308 or 06 and not really give up that much for bullets under 200 grains. The 308 held the record for a first shot hit at 1,800 yards for awhile so you can't call it a short range affair.
Any .30 will do. EVERY country store in the world will have spare 300 WM ammo.... there is not enough difference between your two choices to matter.... find a gun you like, and go with the .300WM
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/17/19
What do you plan on hunting with it?

Of those two chamberings just find a rifle you like and go hunting.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19
After load work for some big cases I decided the powder charge weight range beyond 74 gr exceeds my recoil tolerance. Anything above that is not fun anymore. Plus, I much prefer short cartridges over long any day. So, the 300 WSM works for me.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19
I've had both. It would really depend on the rifle I chose to shoot it out of. The 300 WSM comes up about 50-100 fps slower than the best loads in a 300 WM and uses 10-15 gr less powder to do it. It is also 150-200 fps faster than 30-06. The combination of slower speeds and less powder makes a noticeable difference in recoil compared to 300 WM. In the same weight rifle a 300 WSM isn't significantly harder on the shoulder than a 30-06, at least to me. About 26 ft lbs recoil compared to 22 for my 30-06. My 300 WM was at 30 ft lbs. In a light weight rig like a Kimber the WSM is tolerable and I can live with the slower MV.

The problem is that most manufacturers 300WM and 300 WSM are all virtually the same weight. If you are carrying around a heavy rifle anyway then you might as well get the speed advantage of the 300 WM.

300 WSM ammo is pretty easy to find in 2019. That isn't a huge issue, and you can't afford to shoot either much unless you hand load. I sold both of mine after coming to the conclusion that there wasn't anything I couldn't kill with my 308 at the ranges I had the skills to shoot. But I tend to like lighter rifles, and less recoil. If I were going back I'd choose a lightweight rig in 300 WSM..
Posted By: hanco Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19
I have both, they are both great. I think The WSM has a little less recoil.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19

Just me, but I'd stay way the hell away from the WSM...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Redneck

Care to expound?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19

Care to expound?

She's at the limits of her "means","abilities" and "experience".

The 180 ELD Smooches in a Montucky Whizzum with a .796BC at 2900fps,is performance that's gotta be seen,to be believed.

Top to bottom of the frame. Montucky 7 Whizzum,Custom 700 based 300 Super,CRF 70 300 Whizzum and another Montucky 7 Whizzum(have 3).

[Linked Image]

In fairness,the CRF Winny Whizzum 30 got much better,with 1pc bottom and McMillan...but still wayyyyyyyyyyyyy pales to any/all things 7 Whizzum. Hint.

[Linked Image]

30's simply cain't begin to hang.

Hint....................
Posted By: Redneck Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19

Care to expound?

In a similar rifle, the WSM provides much more felt recoil.. It's also more finicky to get to feed right... I had a customer who was a yuge M70 fan.. Had a bunch, shot 'em all, a LOT.. He bought a M70 in .300 WSM.. Went to his bench, shot once, packed it up and brought it to me and said, (and I quote) " Put a muzzle brake on this sumbish. It's the only rifle I ever shot that knocked my hat off when I pulled the trigger."

'Nuff said right there..

Care to expound?

In a similar rifle, the WSM provides much more felt recoil.. It's also more finicky to get to feed right... I had a customer who was a yuge M70 fan.. Had a bunch, shot 'em all, a LOT.. He bought a M70 in .300 WSM.. Went to his bench, shot once, packed it up and brought it to me and said, (and I quote) " Put a muzzle brake on this sumbish. It's the only rifle I ever shot that knocked my hat off when I pulled the trigger."

'Nuff said right there..

Oh my!

That was wayyyyyyyyyy fhuqking funnier than expected and I had your Cluelessness pegged at a full fhuqking 100%. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Laughing!..............
Posted By: JackVliet Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/18/19
It goes against physics for the 300wsm to kick more, at all, than the 300 win mag in the same rifle, using similar loads.
It uses less powder and has a lower MV. We've got a model 70 sporter in 300wsm and the recoil has never been a problem.
Originally Posted by JackVliet
It goes against physics for the 300wsm to kick more, at all, than the 300 win mag in the same rifle, using similar loads.
It uses less powder and has a lower MV. We've got a model 70 sporter in 300wsm and the recoil has never been a problem.

Ummmmmmm...NO fhuqking schit?!?(grin)

Bless her heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/19/19

Care to expound?

'Nuff said right there..

Lmao!.......Hb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/19/19
EPIC fhuqking humor +P+!

If only because you KNOW,she was doing her best...............(grin)
Posted By: BWalker Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/19/19
I like the 300wsm better than the 300 win mag. Recoil is slightly less as is velocity for the wsm. The 300 wsm also feeds very well from my model 70.
Montucky stock design trumps ALL things Winny,so their Whizzums shoot MUCH softer...despite the reduction in mass.

Hint.............
Every 300WSM I've had has recoiled less than the 300WM. Redneck must have had a bad one. Like someone else said, it's virtually impossible that a 300WSM is going to recoil more. They tend to use less powder, and don't quite generate the same speeds as the 300WM. Just about everyone I've talked to, also agrees that the 300wm kicks a lot more... Maybe redneck was being facetious when explaining how his buddy reacted to the recoil of the 300WSM... If so, he could have at least used a smirk emoji... smirk
Redneck is simply a CLUELESS Fhuqk.

Hint.

She was certainly doing her best,like always.

Laughing!.............
Posted By: Redneck Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/19/19

Care to expound?

'Nuff said right there..

Oh my!

That was wayyyyyyyyyy fhuqking funnier than expected and I had your Cluelessness pegged at a full fhuqking 100%. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Laughing!..............
And I was correct in pegging you to be 100% azzhole... You just confirmed it.. When you get a clue, let me know.. Bye now.. Laughing...
Redneck is simply a CLUELESS Fhuqk.

Hint.

She was certainly doing her best,like always.

Laughing!.............
Posted By: Redneck Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/19/19
And Little Twig is still a dickhead... Try thinking once instead of vomiting..

Hint....

Laffin'

Care to expound?

'Nuff said right there..

MAGNIFICENT fhuqking STUPIDITY...but she'll cash your check.

Hint.

Laughing!..............
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/20/19
I've owned both, the WSM stayed and the 300 win mag went down the road. The WSM recoils less, is more accurate and kills stuff just as dead.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/22/19
The twig that thinks a varmint rifle crushes a 300 magnum when it comes to putting animals on the ground is touched in his pointy head. If someone is too soft to endure a little recoil or can't afford a few grains of powder they probably should extol the virtue of a girls or old mans gun.
Posted By: jwall Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The twig that thinks a varmint rifle crushes a 300 magnum when it comes to putting animals on the ground is touched in his pointy head. If someone is too soft to endure a little recoil or can't afford a few grains of powder they probably should extol the virtue of a girls or old mans gun.

Yeah ! like a 308 W whistle

I’ve always liked the WM, looks, long not squatty, military & competition history, hunting record
to name a few reasons.

Red/Blue , Ford/Chevy, etc.

Jerry
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/22/19

Lmao! ...good post...Hb
Posted By: Redneck Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/22/19
Is that all ya got?? For the renowned 'bully of the board' you're slippin' a bit.. Laffin...

If you're still off yer meds Little Twig, try strychnine - you'll feel SOOOO much better..

Hint...
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/22/19
Own both, but I prefer the WSM. Seems to recoil a bit less, and is in a slightly lighter and handier package. Obviously can’t tell a difference in on-game performance.
Posted By: boomer68 Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/23/19
300 WM, because short and fat is no way to go through life...lol
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by geedubya
FWIW,

I had several rifles chambered for each as well as the 300 Roy. Not one of your choices, but I am partial to the 300 H&H.
Just Sayin!

GWB

This all day. ^^^^^

Early on when the 300 Win was newish (1960's) the recoil was as bad or sharper then the 338 Mag. The 338 was more of a push and not as sharp as the 300 Win. I went with the 338.
As far as 300 WSM, well the new SM are just a sales pitch. Can't see the need for the new Short Mags, other then desire for something different. And that is just fine.
The 300 WSM and the 300 Mag don't do much more than the 30-06 or the 300 H&H already do, maybe a few more yards for the same drop.

I identify with the old man gun thing. But the gain of these cartridges is minimal over cartridges that have been around for quite awhile. As far as the old man thing goes, I still shoot a 458 mag, 35 Whelen, 45-70, 338 Mag, 348 Win. Some old guys just get to be tough old boots.
Originally Posted by boomer68
300 WM, because short and fat is no way to go through life...lol

This ^^^^
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Rolled a bull moose with a 30 cal 150 gr Partition back in Sept., out of a 300 Savage.
The other 3 guys in camp did pretty much the same, but with 300 mags.
Only a fool argues with success.

This ^^^^^
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - 02/23/19
I see CDNN has several calibers of WSM ammo on sale for $25/box of 20.
© 24hourcampfire