Home
Posted By: pacecars 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I am about to get a 9.3x62mm rifle. Th only question is which one? The new Ruger African is the obvious front runner but there are other choices. I am also considering the Mauser M12 and the Sako Black Bear. One more has caught my eye and with the help of JES, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer MCA in the common .30-06 chambering could easily be rebored and rechambered. The only question is will the rotor work without modification?
Posted By: RedneckRob Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 that I absolutely love. Might want to check them out also.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
The only one worth buying in 2019

Lipsee is selling a 9.3x62
Posted By: SU35 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Lipsee is supplying Whittaker Guns in 9.3x62.
For $1,029 and free shipping.
Best deal I've found and just bought one today.
Posted By: Chrome Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I've got a Tikka T3X Battue. It's walnut with a 20" barrel. Nice rifle sort of compact for a long action.
Posted By: fremont Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by SU35
Lipsee is supplying Whittaker Guns in 9.3x62.
For $1,029 and free shipping.
Best deal I've found and just bought one today.

Didn't come up in a search there (which included out of stock rifles)
Posted By: SU35 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
You will need to call them. They had one today of which I bought and a few more will be arriving later on.
Get your name on the list if you want one. They're going fast.

Call and ask for Eric ext 107
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have a CZ550, no longer made.. I would look at the Sako if I were buying now, or the used market.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Buy a 30-06 that you fancy and send to Jesus reboring and have him punch it to 9.3x62
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I do believe that the MCA was available in 9.3X62, but hard to find now. The rotary magazines are rather persnickety, but the 9.3X62 is pretty close to a 30-06.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
A cz550 if you can find it.

Or send a rifle you like to JES for a re bore

-Jake
Posted By: jpb Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
If you want a light, accurte 9.3 x 62 you should look at Tikka.

LINK

[Linked Image]

I've shot one at a range, and the trigger on that rifle was wonderful.

Be aware that this is a 9.3 x 62 in a 6.2 lb rifle and recoil is a bit "lively".

If that is too light for you, there are quite a few models that heavier, and include models with wood stocks and longer barrels (this one is 20 inches and you won't be giving much velocity with 9.3 x 62.

John
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I would look for a used CZ 550 9.3x62.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
There is a really nice Zoli 9.3x62 for sale on Accurate Arms Forum. Take a look.
Posted By: TimZ Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have the Sako Black Bear. Great rifle, short, light, compact and very accurate. Can't really justify a second one but the Ruger Hawkeye is very nice......
Posted By: Sako76 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Ruger African, the older model Hawkeye.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by Sako76

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

Here's my 9.3 African, the older model. It's a little portly a bit over 9# scoped but I don't think I would want one much lighter. Using JB's full pressure loads it's a thumper and one of my most accurate rifles.
Posted By: sigguy Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have the CZ and the Black Bear in 9.3x62. The Black Bear is much lighter and handier to carry around, especially with it's 20" barrel. The CZ is really nice, but is pretty heavy - mine has the 24" barrel. They are both very accurate. That CZ will also cost about half what the Sako does.

I handled a CZ 550 Full Stock, which had what looked like a 20 barrel. It felt noticeably lighter than mine. They are cool looking as well.

The new Lipsey's Ruger looks attractive, and may be a bit handier than the CZ.

Probably hard to go wrong with any of the above. If I was going to hunt with it and carry it a lot, the Sako would be my choice.
Posted By: RickF Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
Mine is on a pre-64 action in a Brown Precision stock and I wouldn’t trade it for any of the ones mentioned.

As stated above, I would take a barreled action that you like and have it rebored or rebarreled.
Posted By: yukon254 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
What about the Zastava ?
Posted By: FOsteology Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I had AHR build me one based on the CZ550 action. Only negative for me is I would prefer it to be a just a touch lighter.
Mine's a Winchester Model 70 'Classic' stainless that was a .270 Win that JES rebored.

Accurate and easy to shoot well; We shoot eggs offhand at 50 yards with .22's at my range. Gave it a try with my 9.3 a couple of times and was surprised that I could give the 22's a run for their money.

The stainless was the clincher for me.

Jerry
Posted By: pacecars Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
The New African is probably the way I should go but the thought of turning this into a 9.3 makes me giddy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
[Linked Image]

I’m partial to the CZ FS. Would love to have AHR further slick it up .

Cool that Ruger is doing this run . Sadly no Ruger stock has ever fit me well . Great guns though
Posted By: VernAK Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine and I like it......having said that, I've always had a hankering for a Husqvarna in 9.3x62....just don't see em around.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/22/19
I have a Husqvarna(1640) barreled action in 30-06. My intent was to send to JES for Whelen or 9.3 but already have a great shooting Whelen so probably won't happen. I even bought some 9.3X62 dies for such an eventuality.That's planning ahead! Sounds like some good options being floated here.
Posted By: SNAP Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/23/19
I have had several, fine German custom from 1927, excellent Obie Type B, 1937, had EAWs installed and it SHOOTS. A custom P-64 carbine done by a buddy and two original ZG-47s plus a custom CZ-550 and another on a FN action.

Selling 90% of my guns now and keeping one ZG-, the CZ-550 and having one of the finest smiths here in BC build me a custom on a 21H action with factory round bolt, STS Benchmark tube, Recknagel peep and benchmade front post on banded ramp and one of Wildcat's new style stocks, designed by another BC smith I have used for years.....about 8 lbs all up with a Swaro Z3 in Talley QDs and my last build of far too many over 60ish years of shooting.

Running 286 Npts at 2400 from a 21" tube will do anything I want and am still capable of at 72+ years.
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/23/19
Mine is a Cliff LaBounty rebore of a 30-06 FN Supreme. Not a heavy rifle.
Posted By: budman5 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/23/19
I have the twin brother to that rifle. It's very shootable. Handles the recoil well too.
Did you thin the stock on yours?
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/25/19
I had a fantastic Ruger African Hawkey in 9.3x62

A fine gentleman offered me a stack of hundreds wrapped in a purple bank binder and away it went.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sigguy Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/25/19
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

Cool that Ruger is doing this run . Sadly no Ruger stock has ever fit me well . Great guns though

That 550FS is really pretty. Very cool!
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/25/19
Thanks man . I had wished the stock finish was a lighter color but you never know with CZ lol . Still tinkering with loads but so far it appears to be a great shooter . Got a buck with it this year , running after a doe at 165 yards , with a thrown together load using 270 speers
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/25/19
[Linked Image]

That looks like the scope I have on my Len Brownell Champlin and Haskins 7RM. Those are great scopes, still available used on line. Optics are great.
With this gun, wide spaced rings and quarter rib, options are limited. This one works great.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I had AHR build me one based on the CZ550 action. Only negative for me is I would prefer it to be a just a touch lighter.

Same, but picked it up used on a trade. AHR does super work, just a bit pricey. This one is super accurate, but as you noted, a tad heavy.

IIRC, I got this scope from you...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/25/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

That looks like the scope I have on my Len Brownell Champlin and Haskins 7RM. Those are great scopes, still available used on line. Optics are great.
With this gun, wide spaced rings and quarter rib, options are limited. This one works great.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Indeed a great scope and one of my favorites . They are great for anything with a long long action . I’m moving a Swarovski 1,25-4 over to this rifle and the Zeiss is going on my 375 .
IIRC, I paid around $400 for mine, I think on EBay, but years ago. Last ones I saw were around $6-700. I think they're worth the price.

You gotta be looking to find one.

DF
Posted By: buttstock Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
Buy a JC Higgins model 50 rifle (commercial FN m98 action). About $400-450.
Rebarrel it to 9.3x62.
Get a Bold or Timney trigger ($50).
Warne steel bases ( they have rear base for either rear bridge hole spacing)

Add open sights if desired.

Pretty slick set up.

CZ 550 is the lower cost option, and a good one.
Posted By: castnblast Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
All the major European manufacturers make rifles in 9.3x62. Merkel, Heym, Blaser, Mauser, Sako, Sauer, etc. etc. I shoot a Verney - Carron Impact Plus takedown model. Love it.
Posted By: Hudge Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Mine's a Winchester Model 70 'Classic' stainless that was a .270 Win that JES rebored.

Accurate and easy to shoot well; We shoot eggs offhand at 50 yards with .22's at my range. Gave it a try with my 9.3 a couple of times and was surprised that I could give the 22's a run for their money.

Jerry

Interesting about the .270 being rebored. I will show my stupidity on this topic, I am following a very similar discussion on another forum and someone mentioned it had to be a .30-06 to rebore to 9.3x63 and not a .270. I never understood why that was, but I would think any gun based on a .30-06 caliber could be rebored to 9.x62.
Posted By: micky Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
I know Tikka makes them too. Whether they are imported is a different question.
Posted By: jpb Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
Originally Posted by micky
I know Tikka makes them too. Whether they are imported is a different question.

I posted about a lightweight Tikka model up top -- a 9.3 x 62 in a 6.2 lb rifle. eek laugh

Tikka does make many rifle models in 9.3 x 62, but unfortunately Micky hit the nail on the head: which models are imported to the US?

I can't say I like the plastic feel of many of the Tikka models, but as I've got older I find that light weight sure goes a long way to making up for many shortcomings!

John
Posted By: Dre Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
Don’t forget to look at sauer 100. They offer different finishes now. Wish I would have waited. Oh well.
It is Great rifle! Just not a lot of after market for them like a tikka, Or other popular brands.
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 02/27/19
I have a M12 like this and it has become one of my favorite rifles of all time. It's accurate, light, easy to clean, functions ridiculously smoothly, irons are very functional, has a proper safety and even a detachable magazine that can be easily loaded while in place... Mauser cartridge graced with a Mauser rifle...

https://www.mauser.com/en/m12/m12-extreme.html
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/02/19
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by Sako76

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

Here's my 9.3 African, the older model. It's a little portly a bit over 9# scoped but I don't think I would want one much lighter. Using JB's full pressure loads it's a thumper and one of my most accurate rifles.

Great looking rifle! cool
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/02/19
I went the JES rebore route on a Rem 700 30-06. No reason to look back as far as I'm concerned. Used 700, 30-06s w or w/o sights are all over the place and pretty much a dime a dozen. Add $225 or so for JES rebore service and you're into a 9.3x62 for next to nothing.
Originally Posted by Hudge

Jerry

Interesting about the .270 being rebored. I will show my stupidity on this topic, I am following a very similar discussion on another forum and someone mentioned it had to be a .30-06 to rebore to 9.3x63 and not a .270. I never understood why that was, but I would think any gun based on a .30-06 caliber could be rebored to 9.x62.

Hudge,

I'd heard the same thing... so I called JES and it was not a problem.

Maybe it is with someone else who is re-boring rifle barrels?

Jerry
Posted By: pacecars Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/15/19
As far as the MCA Goes it will only allow two down and feeds fine for those two. The hang up is the neck is too thick and rubs on the little bar that comes up from each side on the out side part of the mag. It looks like a little judicious filing or dremel would take care of it. I will not be attempting that until I find a spare mag assembly to try it on. It looks like a .338-06 or .35 Whelen wouldn’t have any trouble at all
Posted By: Shadow Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/15/19
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sauer-100-Classic-XT-93x62.aspx

Sauer 100 XT 9.3x62.

Takes a 5 round DBM, that sells for $50.

Or if you want to spend a bit more:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sauer-101-forest-xt-93x62.aspx

Takes the same 5 round mag.
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/15/19

Jerry

Hudge,

Jerry

If you look at the 9.3x62 brass you will see that the shoulder is already more forward than either 270 or 30-06. Further when the rebore is done the original neck length of the 270 has been removed with the rebore. Thus 270 or 06 are easily bored out and rechambered to the 9.3x62 and will from that point on shoot factory ammo.
Posted By: Hudge Re: 9.3x62mm rifle choice - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by sierraHunter

Jerry

Hudge,

Jerry

If you look at the 9.3x62 brass you will see that the shoulder is already more forward than either 270 or 30-06. Further when the rebore is done the original neck length of the 270 has been removed with the rebore. Thus 270 or 06 are easily bored out and rechambered to the 9.3x62 and will from that point on shoot factory ammo.

Good to know! I have been thinking about a 9.3x62 project since following a couple of different forum threads about them. I am going to put the project idea on hold for now. I'm going to concentrate on a few other things I need to wrap up when I get home, and then once I am back working and my VA crap sorted out, I'll probably pick the idea of the project up and run with it. Of course I'm going to have to buy the wife something bright and shiny so she doesn't complain.
© 24hourcampfire