Home
Posted By: rrconductor Steyr - 02/28/19
I just picked up a SBS in .308, what has been yawls experience?
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Goes against everything that is right , traditional or how things should be to my mind, but I love my Steyr.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Yep beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. But dang they just work well and are very very accurate. At least My SBS is. I would get another without a doubt.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by rrconductor

IMHO,
the best kept secret in the rifle industry, but folks are catching on fast.

I've owned

Steyr Mountain, 308 Win

Steyr Professional:
260 Rem. 20" bbl stainless
7 mag, 26: bbl, stainless
300 Win Mag, 26" bbl. Cr-Mo
376 Steyr, stainless, 20" bbl

Steyr Mannlicher Classic
wood stocked carbine, cr-mo, 20" bbl, 7mm-08

Steyr Mannlicher, Classic Mannlicher (full stock)
6.5 x 55 SE, cr-mo, 22" bbl, single set trigger

270 Win,cr-mo, 22" bbl

I like the detachable magazine much better on the Steyr than on the Sako 75 or 85.

Two stage triggers are excellent, the single set is amazing.

Bolt lock on Safe

All have been sub inch shooters with both my handloads and factory loads.

I'll forgo pix this time as I do belive I'm overexposed in that regard.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: driggy Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I have a Mountain in 308 (black stock) that I picked up at Cabelas on clearance a few years ago. It goes nicely with my 260 Rem (grey stock) I got back in 2000-2002 time frame. I had a 376 Steyr also, but sold it shortly after leaving AK. If I needed another rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I still prefer the older Steyrs with the rear locking lugs. To be honest I have never actually seen an SBS in person at any of our local shops. Are the Safe Bolt models conventional two lug bolts at the front?
Posted By: driggy Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
They are not conventional. They have the lugs set up in the normal dual lug locations, but the the lugs have a larger lug at the front and a smaller lug just behind it. making it a 4 lug in reality.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by geedubya

IMHO,
the best kept secret in the rifle industry, but folks are catching on fast.

I've owned

Steyr Mountain, 308 Win

Steyr Professional:
260 Rem. 20" bbl stainless
7 mag, 26: bbl, stainless
300 Win Mag, 26" bbl. Cr-Mo
376 Steyr, stainless, 20" bbl

Steyr Mannlicher Classic
wood stocked carbine, cr-mo, 20" bbl, 7mm-08

Steyr Mannlicher, Classic Mannlicher (full stock)
6.5 x 55 SE, cr-mo, 22" bbl, single set trigger

270 Win,cr-mo, 22" bbl

I like the detachable magazine much better on the Steyr than on the Sako 75 or 85.

Two stage triggers are excellent, the single set is amazing.

Bolt lock on Safe

All have been sub inch shooters with both my handloads and factory loads.

I'll forgo pix this time as I do belive I'm overexposed in that regard.

ya!

GWB

+1 million, Best detachable magazine in the business. Tikka and a few others should try to emulate it . Easiest bolt to field strip and a fantastic trigger. Boringly accurate
Posted By: kfbarter Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Got an SBS in .260 when CDNN was blowing them out. Shot great and was a ton of rifle for the the price. Also my daughter could use it with all the spacers out.

So I of course sold it after two seasons.

Really wish that it and my CZ550 American were still in the safe.

Kent
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I have the Steyr Scout in 308. Different than my '03 and '05 Steyr M/S. Safety is different for sure. I like it though. Rusty.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by driggy
They are not conventional. They have the lugs set up in the normal dual lug locations, but the the lugs have a larger lug at the front and a smaller lug just behind it. making it a 4 lug in reality.

[Linked Image]

Cr-mo bolt from SBS Pro Hunter, 7 mag

Stainless bolt from SBS Pro Hunter, 376 Steyer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
My M Professional is rear lugs.
My favorite stick.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I have heard they shoot lights out, one hole guns. I can't wait to put some reloads with Varget thru it.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I had a 308 Mt rifle with the 20" barrel. It was accurate, but weighed a ton, not what I was looking for so I didn't keep it long. The bolt handle didn't allow the scope to be mounted as low as I'd have liked. I understand they can be replaced, but that is extra expense. Magazines are hard to find and expensive, but they do work. The safety is unique, but I liked it.

It was accurate, but no more so than many other rifles that I had or have. I simply prefer the way my other rifles handle and the fact that they are trimmer
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
I have heard they shoot lights out, one hole guns. I can't wait to put some reloads with Varget thru it.

Mine shot 165's over IMR4895 and RL15 into really nice groups.
No idea why I sold it to be honest.
Posted By: Hook Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Yep.....they make a pretty good rifle!

[Linked Image]

Sure do hope they don't start making those chitty looking new fangled thangs with plastic stock!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
He meant one of these
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hook Re: Steyr - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by Hook

[Linked Image]

Sure do hope they don't start making those chitty looking new fangled thangs with plastic stock!

They must still be doing a good job. I did a favor for a friend and mounted a new scope on his Steyr Mountain Rifle SS. Got it bore sighted and decided to go ahead and shoot it with some of my left over 30.06 hand loads from this past deer season. Just wanted to get it close because I have no idea what he will end up shooting in it. After a couple of shots at 25 yds, I shot this at 100. It measured about 0.47".

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr - 03/01/19

[Linked Image]

They must still be doing a good job. I did a favor for a friend and mounted a new scope on his Steyr Mountain Rifle SS. Got it bore sighted and decided to go ahead and shoot it with some of my left over 30.06 hand loads from this past deer season. Just wanted to get it close because I have no idea what he will end up shooting in it. After a couple of shots at 25 yds, I shot this at 100. It measured about 0.47".

[Linked Image]

I hate when that happens grin
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr - 03/01/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Mine shot 165's over IMR4895 and RL15 into really nice groups.
No idea why I sold it to be honest.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, I am pretty sure there has been seller regret among all posters here at one or more points in their life.
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: Steyr - 03/02/19
I have a Scout and a Scout tactical Elite, both in .308, 1 in 12 twist, both love 150 grain TTSX and 155 grain SMK or Palma. Use Varget for the hunting load and H4895 for the SMKs. IMR 4064 works very well also.
Posted By: bartman Re: Steyr - 03/02/19
Currently have an SBS in stock. There are better options.
Posted By: domit Re: Steyr - 03/02/19
I hate them!! I have 3 !!!!!! need a few more so I can really hate them.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Steyr - 05/11/19
I just got the SBS in .30-06 and am trying to find a scope base.
Am thinking 1 pc pic rail.
Could go Talley but was wanting one without bevel on side.
Something US built but like Recknagel.
I'm getting 3.26 or thereabouts for span of inside holes, which by euro sites says it's a medium (they list short, med and long).
Think that translates to short, long and magnum on this side of the pond.

What are you guys using for base?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr - 05/11/19
I used 2 Piece DNZ.s. If it fits a Sako A7, Browning A bolt you are good to go if you want a 2 piece base.
For the short term I slapped Weaver 47M on w Burris med Zee rings.
W the higher comb stock, mockup w a Redfield Revolution 3-9X showed good height.
But it sat so high (40mm obj) off the bbl it looked silly.
Dropped a Burris Droptine 4.5-14X w 42mm front and it looked better.
Dunno if I want that much mag,.
Am thinking maybe 3-9X ish w 50mm front.
The Weaver bases were matte, but color didn't match.
The Burris matte Zees were perfect color match.
Dropped a long 1" bar in and everything lined up perfect (never trust any base/ring- have seen a couple bad from factory- Ruger ring, Burris Zee ring, and a Weaver base.............three out of a chitload working in a shop.........of course the cheaper stuff not taken into consideration)..
© 24hourcampfire