Home
Posted By: Fotis 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
Looking for a versatile big game load for the 7-08. 140 grain as a minimum and good enough for antelope to maybe (rarely-if-ever) elk.

What say you? I was thinking about the 150 grain LR Accubond at 2800 fps or 162 ELDX at 2700 fps if I can get them to shoot at that velocity.
The 150 would be a good elk load. I'd use a 140 without much worry.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
Any actual loads with velocity/accuracy results would be cool
Posted By: TomM1 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
I am using Hornady 139 BTSP and Nosler 140 BT in mine. Getting 2750+ with 45.5 H414 and Hornady; 2800+ with 46 H414 and Nosler.

I have a hankering to try Hornady 154 RN’s, but they discontinued them. If I was wanting a bigger critter load I would try the Hornady FB 154 or 150 Partition. The Speer 145 HC ain’t bad either. Then again, my favorite ice cream is vanilla.

The last 7-08 for which I worked-up a load was a fussy SOB. Here's how it washed-out in the end:

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
So what is your final load? I'm guessing 48 grains of Big Game, but not sure. I ask because I recently bought a Nosler 48 Liberty rifle in 7mm-08 and am working on 140 grain bullet loads for it. In my rifle, 46 grains of BG gives me 2,800 even. My old favorite load of 43 grains of WW-748 is about 30-40 fps faster. Same for my other go-to load, 47 grains of WW-760. I would prefer using BG as it is less temp-sensitive.

Bullet: 140 grain Barnes TTSX
Powder: Ramshot Big Game
Charge: 48.0 grains
Brass: Hornady, 3x fired since virgin and annealed
Primer: CCI 200
COAL: 2.800
Rifle: Rem 700 Cabela's Mountain Guide (22" barrel)

This rifle has been slow with every powder/bullet combination I've tried. I'd have stopped at 2,800-ish if I had gotten there with another powder, or a lesser charge of this one. As it was, I was usually in the low-mid 2,600's, even near max with CFE223, R15, Varget, H414, and H4350.

Surely one of those would have worked well. Nope. Magnum primers will tighten groups with ball powders. Nope. Of course a Barnes likes a good jump to the lands. Not in this rifle.

I'm grateful for all the advice I've received. I just had to run through all the permutations with this quirky rifle. I'm kind of unsure why I bothered, other than being really curious... and more than a li'l stubborn...

FC

Once I found this load, I took it as a backup on a goat hunt (with an elk tag, too).

I'd betcha a cuppa josé that you'll find a load much more quickly than I did.

Keep us posted.

FC
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
41.5 Varget, 140 accubond @2800fps.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
140 grain Partition or Accubond
47.5 gr Big Game
WLRM
2.805” COAL
2880 fps MV

I’ve killed deer elk and antelope with this load.

150 ELDX
46.2 gr Big Game
WLRM
Forget the BTO but it’s a little long
2790 fps MV
Deer and elk

Tikka rifles. Loads are max so work up.
Elk to 409 yards, deer to 541 yards, only speed goat was 311 yards.

P
Posted By: TJAY Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
I am working up a load with 140gr. Hornady interbond. So far 4451 at 48 gr. in Rem brass with wlr primers looks good. 2880 fps in 3/4" but I have to confirm this with several more groups.
140 AB, my dad’s best bull

[Linked Image]

150 ELDX, 409 yards, my nephew’s first bull

[Linked Image]

311 yard goat, 140 AB

[Linked Image]

Buck on the right, 541 yards, 140 Partition

[Linked Image]

140 Partition, 346 yards, DRT

[Linked Image]

There’s more. You get the idea.

P
Originally Posted by TJAY
2880 fps in 3/4" but I have to confirm this with several more groups.

3/4” is unacceptable

Red Death, 150 ELDX

[Linked Image]

Red Death, 140 Partition

[Linked Image]

Red Death, 140 AB, 200 yards, kinda windy

[Linked Image]

Superlite, 140 Partition

[Linked Image]

P
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
Awesome group
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/14/19
You have to give Tikka and Pharmseller credit the two can shoot! I'm the mossback here pushing 42.0 grains of BLC2 under a 140 grain Partition for just over 2700 fps out of my 18 1/2 inch barrel. It gets even worse I like 40.0 grains of IMR 4895 under the 150 grain Ballistic tip for right at 2600 fps. If I draw my Wyoming Mulie tag this rifle will be backup and rock climbing rifle.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by Fotis
Looking for a versatile big game load for the 7-08. 140 grain as a minimum and good enough for antelope to maybe (rarely-if-ever) elk.

What say you? I was thinking about the 150 grain LR Accubond at 2800 fps or 162 ELDX at 2700 fps if I can get them to shoot at that velocity.

Akin to asking..."what kind of mileage do green pickups get?". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Projectile selection is predicated upon RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Decided to first try the 140 Nosler Accubond. Will advise of results----after Blizzard! grin
Akin to asking..."what kind of mileage do green pickups get?". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Posted By: Shadow Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Bless your heart Larry, for saying the same damn thing, in the same damn way, on the same damn thread, twice within 18 hours.......Your beginning to sound a bit like the Magic Eight Ball with a canned response for every possible Campfire question. Or you've been snorting too much sawdust again. Hint: Whatever, Laughing at your canned antics. Have a sparkling day Sunshine.....
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
I'm loading the 120 grain and 140 grain Barnes TTSX for my 7mm-08. It's a Howa 1500 with a 22" barrel. I'm using IMR 4895 for both (that's what I have), 42.0 for the 120 grainers and 39 grains for the 140 grainers. Right out of the Barnes manual. No pics, but very pleased with accuracy and terminal performance (only deer so far). I've been told by an Idaho elk hunter that either of those works perfectly on elk.
Originally Posted by Shadow
Bless your heart Larry, for saying the same damn thing, in the same damn way, on the same damn thread, twice within 18 hours.......Your beginning to sound a bit like the Magic Eight Ball with a canned response for every possible Campfire question. Or you've been snorting too much sawdust again. Hint: Whatever, Laughing at your canned antics. Have a sparkling day Sunshine.....

Slowroll,

Pardon facts upsetting you so. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your Whining Dumbfhuqktitude never wanes,in it's Magnificent Oblivious Splendor. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
And another thread gone to poop. Oh well

Pardon them facts upsetting you.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Broken record...LOL

The facts or you do not upset me anymore Lawrence.
Broken record...LOL

The facts or you do not upset me anymore Lawrence.

Kchuntis,

Your keyboard is slurring.

Pardon them facts upsetting you.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Match the bullet to the game.

RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude is for paper punchers or do nothings like you bs.

This javelina did not care one bit about RPM,Throat Geometry or COAL latitude.
[Linked Image]
elkchunt,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Didja' yet again "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon ALL things The Rifle,being well beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension".

Hint.

Laughing!............
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Decided to first try the 140 Nosler Accubond. Will advise of results----after Blizzard! grin

Not to rain on your parade but I've been trying for some kind of accuracy with the 150 gr. ABLR in three 7x57s and a .280 Remington. I got an easy 2800 FPS from the 7x57 but no luck getting decent groups. I don't think it's a twist rate problem as on rifle has a 1in 8.5" twist. Not sure what the Ruger and Winchester twists are. Kind of surprising as the Winchester M70 FWT has been a tack driver with every thing else I've tried. Apparently some people have good luck with them right from the start. So far I just haven't been so lucky.
Paul B.
Gunning Nuzzlers,is akin to pulling spark plug wires out from under the hood.

Hint..............
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
You don't know
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Gunning Nuzzlers,is akin to pulling spark plug wires out from under the hood.

Hint..............

They got me in the P100.

Apparently you're just a [bleep] archer.
Cite the Nuzzler that'll hang with the .284" 180 ELD.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
I could find out my buddies load for his 7-08 with 120 grain TTSX. He's a cow killing fool with his Ruger and that bullet. However, I'm sure the AB will kill just as well.
Have only seen (5) .284" 120 X's flung towards Mooses and they all punched a tag.

That being said...we've come a Looooonnnnnggggggggggg ways baby and the 180 ELD is simply a fhuqking Phenom.

Hint.....................
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Not to rain on your parade but I've been trying for some kind of accuracy with the 150 gr. ABLR in three 7x57s and a .280 Remington. I got an easy 2800 FPS from the 7x57 but no luck getting decent groups. I don't think it's a twist rate problem as on rifle has a 1in 8.5" twist. Not sure what the Ruger and Winchester twists are. Kind of surprising as the Winchester M70 FWT has been a tack driver with every thing else I've tried. Apparently some people have good luck with them right from the start. So far I just haven't been so lucky.
Paul B.

I tried several different recipes with the 150 ABLR. No luck in accuracy despite a darn good attempt.

The vanilla AB is a great choice.

The 150 ELDX also shoots lights out and kills right now.

P
Hey Lawrence:

What deer or antelope is going to care about any of these things from 20 - 300 yards????

Find ME wrong now. Every time there is a question about loads bullets guns you quote super high BC, twist, throat etc. Yes they have their place but not all mandatory for all hunting.

Dude, you act as if someone handed you a 30-30 and a survival pack, you would literally starve in the woods.

And in conclusion why am I sitting here trying to educate a lepton?
Kchuntis,

Your "understanding",bears less than ZERO upon Facts & Physics. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I get it,that you are a Brokedick Day Dreaming Do Nothing DUMB Fhuqk,that only "shoots" her mouth and Imagination,which is what your "experience" is predicated upon and that's the ONLY reason it is soooooooooo fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some...if only to your WELL founded Insecurities and chagrin. Hint.

Be SURE to make ALL the excuses you need,to "justify" your EPIC Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: 338Rem Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by TJAY
2880 fps in 3/4" but I have to confirm this with several more groups.

3/4” is unacceptable

Red Death, 150 ELDX

[Linked Image]

Red Death, 140 Partition

[Linked Image]

Red Death, 140 AB, 200 yards, kinda windy

[Linked Image]

Superlite, 140 Partition

[Linked Image]

P

Show off!
Posted By: CWT Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
I like both the 120 and 140 NBT's. Been going 140 mostly for a while now. Seems to be a very tough bullet but I have only shot deer and hogs with it. Zips right through even big hogs. However, I could give a rats ass about BC as I am not shooting at game over about 300 yards. I don't think a bonded bullet is necessary for the 7mm-08.
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
The 120 Barnes shoulda be great.
Originally Posted by CWT
I like both the 120 and 140 NBT's. Been going 140 mostly for a while now. Seems to be a very tough bullet but I have only shot deer and hogs with it. Zips right through even big hogs. However, I could give a rats ass about BC as I am not shooting at game over about 300 yards. I don't think a bonded bullet is necessary for the 7mm-08.

The Dumber you are...the "better" Nuzzler is. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................
Originally Posted by CWT

The Dumber you are...the "better" Nuzzler is. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

See did I not just tell everybody that these bullets will NOT work.

They do not Jive with Lawrence's geometry, throat, or RPM. These kinda bounce off deer at 200 yards from a 7mm-08. LOL

On a serious note I have taken a lot of game with the 7mm-08 and the 120 BT at 3030 fps via Varget. I was just trying to minimalize my components. Too many guns
Kchuntis,

You "forgot" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore,went right to being a fhuqking snivelling "victim" and didn't cite a fhuqking thing germane to projectile selection. Hint. Congratulations?!?

On top of that,you lied about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore and flaunt your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Bless your heart for tRYINg.

Hint.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: CWT Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/15/19
Hey Stick,

I have not posted much over the years and that is probably a good thing. I am no expert just an outdoors-man. I am the jack of all trades and the master of none. I hunt ( mammals and birds ), fish ( fresh and saltwater ), take photos, view wildlife, hike, work to provide for the family,
fix stuff around the house and the mountain house, and help folks less fortunate than me among other things. I'll admit, I am not an expert at any of it. So I have a serious question. Why do I need a ELD-X for a shot at 300 yards or less? I like my 25-06. I don't know I just do. I also like the 7mm-08. I tend to use the 25-06 more just because when I was a kid I wanted one. It works. I like older stuff and it always worked. I don't care about the latest and greatest. Critters tend to die when I pull the trigger. I know you shoot long range and have a lot of experience and shoot a lot and are good at it. so at ranges 300 yards and below why should any one care about these high BC boolits?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
While the Ballistic Tip may not be the sleekest long range bullet out there I have used the 150 grain .284 version on all sorts of game and some pretty long shots too. That bullet has always shot well, penetrated plenty and killed stuff quickly. I have to say the 150 gr. .284 and the 180 gr. .308 Ballistic Tips are fine bullets for the vast majority of hunting situations. I could say the same thing for Partitions, Speer Hotcor's, and Hornady Innerlocs. Pick the bullet suitable for the game hunted, use it within it's capabilities and things will go well.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by CWT
Hey Stick,

I have not posted much over the years and that is probably a good thing. I am no expert just an outdoors-man. I am the jack of all trades and the master of none. I hunt ( mammals and birds ), fish ( fresh and saltwater ), take photos, view wildlife, hike, work to provide for the family,
fix stuff around the house and the mountain house, and help folks less fortunate than me among other things. I'll admit, I am not an expert at any of it. So I have a serious question. Why do I need a ELD-X for a shot at 300 yards or less? I like my 25-06. I don't know I just do. I also like the 7mm-08. I tend to use the 25-06 more just because when I was a kid I wanted one. It works. I like older stuff and it always worked. I don't care about the latest and greatest. Critters tend to die when I pull the trigger. I know you shoot long range and have a lot of experience and shoot a lot and are good at it. so at ranges 300 yards and below why should any one care about these high BC boolits?

You don’t need a 150 ELDX. Realistically I don’t either, but my rifles really like them, so I figure what the heck, I’ll use them.

To be fair, they really like everything, so if I had to use a 140 Partition for all of my hunting I would be content to do so. My longest shot, in fact, was a big mulie fork at 541 yards. No way to get closer and I had practiced extensively out to 600 yards. Bang flop, 140 Partition, double lung and exit.

BC, sectional density, coriolis effect, blah blah blah, unless you’re shooting at 1,000 yards or more. And I’m sure as hell not.

P
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
And Fotis, if you change your mind about trying the 120 Ballistic Tip, I can have a box on your way with load data. On the house.

Same load, different rifles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ain’t much gonna survive a poke in the ribs from a 120 at 3100 plus.

P
You Dumb Kchunts can't even zero a scope.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
To 500 yards any Nosler factory load is flatter than the 180 Hornady.
Wind Drift?

Hint.............
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Why does it have to for under 300 yards. Are you that obtuse???
Posted By: 79S Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
Rl26 with a 162 out of a 22 inch barrel will have rethinking anything 120 or 140.. some rl26 with that 180 eld-m chit you won’t be talking about 6.5 cm no more

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

I'm rather enjoying your slur.

Hint................
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Rl26 with a 162 out of a 22 inch barrel will have rethinking anything 120 or 140.. some rl26 with that 180 eld-m chit you won’t be talking about 6.5 cm no more

I might give that a try. Have everything on the shelf. What sorta speed out of that combo? 2600-2700?
Posted By: 28lx Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by 79S

Do you have any load data and velocity numbers with the RL26 in 7mm-08?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

I'm rather enjoying your slur.

Hint................

I'm enjoying your deflecting bs.
Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint.................
Right and the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.
Your Stupidity,rests solely upon your narrow shoulders.

Hint.................
When it comes to stupidity,you're the tops,bs.
elkchunt,

Besides being CLUELESS,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...due your Imaginary Pretend Ignore. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!..............
[Linked Image]
Them that can't,simply MUST plagiarize. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart...you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit!

LAUGHING!...................
Them that can't,simply MUST plagiarize. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart...you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit!

LAUGHING!...................

[Linked Image]
Them that cain't...simply MUST Google.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
[Linked Image]
Them than can do.

Where are the pictures of your trophies from winning benchrest matches or any other competition?
Fredrica,

Pardon your Brokedick ways precluding your owning a 223AI and suffering a SCHIT "mount".

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
elkchunt,

Just keep on TRYING to not schit your pants.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...........
Originally Posted by 28lx
Originally Posted by 79S

Code
Cartridge          : 7 mm-08 Rem.
Bullet             : .284, 180, Hornady ELD-M 28503
Useable Case Capaci: 43.304 grain H2O = 2.812 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.800 inch = 71.12 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
Powder             : Alliant Reloder-26

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 3.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-30.0   78    33.60   1745    1217   19650   6733     80.1    1.897
-27.0   82    35.04   1829    1337   21814   7251     83.3    1.817
-24.0   85    36.48   1916    1467   24250   7757     86.3    1.740
-21.0   88    37.92   2004    1606   26996   8244     89.1    1.665
-18.0   92    39.36   2095    1754   30102   8702     91.7    1.592
-15.0   95    40.80   2186    1911   33626   9125     93.9    1.521
-12.0   98    42.24   2279    2076   37637   9502     95.9    1.450
-09.0  102    43.68   2373    2250   42222   9826     97.5    1.373
-06.0  105    45.12   2467    2432   47488  10090     98.7    1.299
-03.0  108    46.56   2561    2621   53570  10287     99.5    1.229  ! Near Maximum !
+00.0  112    48.00   2655    2817   60637  10410     99.9    1.163  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+03.0  115    49.44   2748    3019   68909  10460    100.0    1.100  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+06.0  119    50.88   2841    3227   78674  10486    100.0    1.039  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+09.0  122    52.32   2935    3442   90318  10494    100.0    0.982  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+12.0  125    53.76   3028    3666  104375  10482    100.0    0.927  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+15.0  129    55.20   3123    3899  121579  10448    100.0    0.875  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
elkchunt,

Just keep on TRYING to not schit your pants.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...........

So,by your dodging the question,you have no trophies from shooting matches.

Just what I figured.
You Drooling DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Does being CLUELESS about twist rate,throating and COAL...make your Stupid "better"?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
So why are you wasting your time with us clueless people????? Because you have no life you pathetic little gnome
Ooooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
You Drooling DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Does being CLUELESS about twist rate,throating and COAL...make your Stupid "better"?!?

What good is any of that if you can't shoot? What good is it if you get beat by a "clueless fhuqk"?
Pretend as you must.

Hint.

LAUGHING!............
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/16/19
Pretend as you must.

Hint.

LAUGHING!............

Get out that Kodachrome Larry, post those awards & club championships.

Or you can pretend you know how to shoot instead of just being a JBM diddler.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I might give that a try. Have everything on the shelf. What sorta speed out of that combo? 2600-2700?

I was getting 2740, I got quickload help from the guys over on nosler forums. I settled on 52.0grs of rl26.
Originally Posted by 79S

Code
Cartridge          : 7 mm-08 Rem.
Bullet             : .284, 180, Hornady ELD-M 28503
Useable Case Capaci: 43.304 grain H2O = 2.812 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.800 inch = 71.12 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
Powder             : Alliant Reloder-26

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 3.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-30.0   78    33.60   1745    1217   19650   6733     80.1    1.897
-27.0   82    35.04   1829    1337   21814   7251     83.3    1.817
-24.0   85    36.48   1916    1467   24250   7757     86.3    1.740
-21.0   88    37.92   2004    1606   26996   8244     89.1    1.665
-18.0   92    39.36   2095    1754   30102   8702     91.7    1.592
-15.0   95    40.80   2186    1911   33626   9125     93.9    1.521
-12.0   98    42.24   2279    2076   37637   9502     95.9    1.450
-09.0  102    43.68   2373    2250   42222   9826     97.5    1.373
-06.0  105    45.12   2467    2432   47488  10090     98.7    1.299
-03.0  108    46.56   2561    2621   53570  10287     99.5    1.229  ! Near Maximum !
+00.0  112    48.00   2655    2817   60637  10410     99.9    1.163  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+03.0  115    49.44   2748    3019   68909  10460    100.0    1.100  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+06.0  119    50.88   2841    3227   78674  10486    100.0    1.039  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+09.0  122    52.32   2935    3442   90318  10494    100.0    0.982  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+12.0  125    53.76   3028    3666  104375  10482    100.0    0.927  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+15.0  129    55.20   3123    3899  121579  10448    100.0    0.875  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

I only used it with 162's never really thought about 180's until last night..
Originally Posted by 79S

My data is 52.0 gr rl 26, 162grvhornady, rem 9 1/2 LR primer, I was avg 2740 FPS. I got quickload help from guys over on nosler forum.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/17/19
Oooopsie!..............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/17/19
120 ballistic tip...
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I was getting 2740, I got quickload help from the guys over on nosler forums. I settled on 52.0grs of rl26.

That’ll work. I’ll check it out. Thanks 79S!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/17/19
Laughing!...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oremi Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
I would look hard at the 150 gr. Scirocco. Controled expantion design with a BC of 0.52 and good weight retention. Should be compatible with the twist in the 7MM-08 with a 22" barrel. My .280 Rem has been up to the task on 4 bulls pushing a 160 gr. Win. Fail Safe load (2800 FPS + or minus) that was discontinued back in the 90's. The .280 is only 90 FPS slower (+ or -) then a Rem 7 Mag. with the same load. Your 7MM-08 is even more efficent with slightly less velocity generated from a smaller case. Resulting in a lighter, shorter, quick pointing rifle with less recoil and muzzle blast. What's not to like? The elk might know the difference on a well placed shot.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
Many great choices.
On goats I’d run a 120/140 BT, though a plain 139 does fine and runs almost as accurately.

I’ve run a bit more Varget than others- fine in my rifles using partial sized brass. WW cases hold about 1.5 more though much of my R&D used RP which are lesser quality.

On deer/hogs and elk. A 140 AB would be my 1st choice to 400 yds. And if accuracy proven- a 120 TTSX right with it. Partitions are never a poor choice.

In 150s many forget or skip the BT. It’s a sleeper. I’d much rather run it than a non bonded 140. Much game that will be hunted and fall to 7/08s will be taken using 120-150s. The 162 and heavier have a place. True LR. Dope has to be worked out like anything else. Gains can be had in wind and residual energy. BC and SD matter - but construction likewise.

In 120-140 Varget achieves good MV and accuracy. IMR 4064 matches speed but prints tighter groups IME.

In the end for many 7/08 users a 139 SP/BTSP or 140 AB can do the bulk of work.

On goats and especially deer one sleeper many forget - the 130 BTSP Speer. I might rather it over 120 BT on longer shots. Accuracy test would determine.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
What kind of powder do we need to light under them 180s and how fast will the boolits go?
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
What kind of powder do we need to light under them 180s and how fast will the boolits go?

Does twist become an issue at this weight?
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
Well, I loaded up some 140 BT's with some Rl17. We will see!!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
Big Game. Say it with me. Big Game.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/18/19
I will buy a pound if the rl17 fails
Posted By: Fotis Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 03/31/19
The rifle hated rl17. At least with the 140 bt
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/29/19
The rifle hated rl17. At least with the 140 bt

Any updates?
Posted By: MM879 Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/30/19
Here's a good read on coal measurements. Pretty basic stuff.

https://bergerbullets.com/effects-o...and-cartridge-base-to-ogive-cbto-part-2/
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/30/19

Yes, this stuff rocks in a 7-08
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Hey! or it could be the Tikka
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/30/19

Repeat after me, read my lips...

DF
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
I know I am a bit late to this party, but my best 7-08 load is 47.0 grains of H4350 under a 140 grain Nosler BT or Accubond with a Federal 210 primer. Getting right around 2750 fps out of my Browning A-bolt.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19

Hey! or it could be the Tikka

Nope, works great in my Remington Model Seven. Lol
Posted By: NTG Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
Anyone tested BG under a 154sst? And let it be noted, I'm already starting to play with the 120bt, and 139btsp atop BG.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by NTG
Anyone tested BG under a 154sst? And let it be noted, I'm already starting to play with the 120bt, and 139btsp atop BG.

Not a 154, but a 150 eldx. Excellent results on multiple deer and one bull.

P
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I know I am a bit late to this party, but my best 7-08 load is 47.0 grains of H4350 under a 140 grain Nosler BT or Accubond with a Federal 210 primer. Getting right around 2750 fps out of my Browning A-bolt.

Half a grain more of BG gives me an additional 100 fps.

Which doesn’t suck.

P
Best load for me so far is 42.3 gr of varget, 140 gr accubond, 2850fps out of a t3.

44gr of big game and 150 eldx gives me 2700 FPS and just over an inch, ES was all over. about the same result as rl17. Meh
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Best load for me so far is 42.3 gr of varget, 140 gr accubond, 2850fps out of a t3.

44gr of big game and 150 eldx gives me 2700 FPS and just over an inch, ES was all over. about the same result as rl17. Meh

That's the ticket IMO. Hard to beat AB's in any caliber.
Posted By: MedRiver Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 07/31/19
My wife shoots a 7mm-08 savage and I have a Ruger Frontier that my kids use. To simplify the ammo situation both rifles shoot the same load so I don't have to worry about mix-ups. Both rifles shoot a 140 accubond over a healthy charge of Varget around an inch. They have killed deer, elk and antelope just fine with that combo.

I did some shooting last year with the 120 BT out of the Ruger Frontier and was super impressed. Honest 3/8" groups and terminal performance was great on deer and antelope. If elk were never on the menu I doubt I would ever shoot anything other than the 120s within conventional hunting ranges. I am sure they will kill elk fine but I have a lot of confidence in the 140 accubond.
Posted By: BMR Re: 7mm-08 Big game load? - 08/01/19
I load 160 gr. NP’s over 47.5 gr of RL19 at 2.815” for a MV of 2756 fps with excellent accuracy in my X-Bolt.
© 24hourcampfire