Home
Posted By: salmonhead What would you build? - 03/14/19
So I procured a Winchester Model 70 CRF long magnum action off the classified recently. Was planning on building a 7mm rem mag out of it. But I already have one of those. What would you build? I don't really want to be smaller than 7mm, although I might consider a 6.5mm something or other. I prefer my bullets to leave the barrel at 3,000 + and 3200 is better. This will be a hunting rifle so prefer the weight to not be ridiculous. The new cartridge designs are intriguing to me. I do hand load. My primary rifle is a 338 RUM. Currently waiting to get my 7mm RM back from the smith with a new stock and cerakote job. No hurry at all with this one. If my daughter can handle shooting my 7 mag I might build that for her. But not married to any one idea at this point.
Posted By: Nrut Re: What would you build? - 03/14/19
Personally I would sell that action as I have no use for a belted mag. in any flavor other than the two .375 H&H that I already have..
Posted By: WB300 Re: What would you build? - 03/14/19
Just throwing out ideas... 264 Win Mag, or 26 Nosler.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: What would you build? - 03/14/19
28 nosler
Posted By: 16bore Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
30-378 Weatherby....not that I’ve ever touched one.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by salmonhead
So I procured a Winchester Model 70 CRF long magnum action off the classified recently. Was planning on building a 7mm rem mag out of it. But I already have one of those. What would you build? I don't really want to be smaller than 7mm, although I might consider a 6.5mm something or other. I prefer my bullets to leave the barrel at 3,000 + and 3200 is better. This will be a hunting rifle so prefer the weight to not be ridiculous. The new cartridge designs are intriguing to me. I do hand load. My primary rifle is a 338 RUM. Currently waiting to get my 7mm RM back from the smith with a new stock and cerakote job. No hurry at all with this one. If my daughter can handle shooting my 7 mag I might build that for her. But not married to any one idea at this point.

Headstamps mean NOTHING...cite projectile particulars.

hint................
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
.300 Weatherby
Posted By: Roystu Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
Anything other than a belted casing round
Posted By: High_Noon Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
.404 Jeff
Posted By: Sheister Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
I just built it- but on a 700 action. A 26 Nosler to shoot 142 Nosler ABLR or the Hornady 143 ELDX. Should meet all your goals in spades....

Bob
Posted By: captdavid Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
Classic tradition, Super thirty aka 300 H&H. cap david
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
What's wrong with the .264 Win Mag? I've kicked the idea around from time to time. Of course the only "Mag" I've got is a .300 Win...and it usually gets benched for an 8x57 anyway.
Posted By: slm9s Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
7stw
Posted By: VaHunter Re: What would you build? - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by captdavid
Classic tradition, Super thirty aka 300 H&H. cap david

This
.300 H & H's super cool!!!
Posted By: salmonhead Re: What would you build? - 03/16/19
I like the non belted cases I guess. Kind of thinking 26 or 28 nosler. Maybe a 300 mag of some variety. Maybe some wildcatt based off the 500 Jeffrey? Think that's the same bolt face, or maybe the next size up. Cant recall. Open to any option. Anyone been using the fast 6.5 on elk? Any noticable difference on game compared to larger diameter projectiles? Be kind of nice to get a little more barrel life than some offer i guess. Was thinking a 26 nosler would go through barrels faster than the 28 or 30 based o smaller bore and basically the same powder charge. Thoughts?
Posted By: kingston Re: What would you build? - 03/16/19
225ELDM

300 PRC or 300 Norma Improved
Posted By: Youper Re: What would you build? - 03/16/19
Since it is a magnum length action I'd go with a cartridge that require that length. 375 H&H and 8mm Rem Mag would be my first choices.
© 24hourcampfire