Home
Posted By: Model70Fan Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
[Linked Image]google gas station near me
Very interesting!
I figured some folks on here might be interested.
I kinda want one of these and have no idea why!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
I didn't think the .358 was trendy enough for an introduction in the American, I stand corrected. Gotta hand it to Grice, they do their part to keep the .35s alive...
Posted By: hanco Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
Heck of a price, makes me want one.
Would make a good mouse killer for elkhunter...
Posted By: SMACK Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
I was actually taken back a little and surprised. I figured Ruger would go .338 Federal before they would go .358 Win. I’ve never owned a .338 Federal but I do like the .358 Win.
Originally Posted by SMACK
I was actually taken back a little and surprised. I figured Ruger would go .338 Federal before they would go .358 Win. I’ve never owned a .338 Federal but I do like the .358 Win.

It is an exclusive run just for Grice, another page said 300 produced. Although Ruger did produce the M77 in 358 when no one else was offering it in a bolt gun.
They also did a run of .358's in the stainless/synthetic Hawkeye a while back. I owned one for a while.
I picked mine up last Saturday from my local dealer. I've only pulled it from the box, wiped it down and cycled the bolt a few times; I hope to get a scope mounted on it this weekend and get it to the range soon.
The trigger is ok, the barrel makes no contact with stock; if it shoots half as well as my Predator in 223 I'll be very happy.
I'll test it with 2 boxes of Hornady factory 200 gr. Spire Points.

StarchedCover
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
I picked mine up last Saturday from my local dealer. I've only pulled it from the box, wiped it down and cycled the bolt a few times; I hope to get a scope mounted on it this weekend and get it to the range soon.
The trigger is ok, the barrel makes no contact with stock; if it shoots half as well as my Predator in 223 I'll be very happy.

StarchedCover

Whats it weigh?
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
Interesting...
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/30/19
Be a dandy little hammer... I’m tempted..
Originally Posted by Judman

Me too. I have 100 pieces of brass on the shelf I bought about 3 years ago, just in case.
I just would like to know something....does "Winny" wear a Beret like "Remmy"? smile
Just messing with you! smile
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/31/19
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Me too. I have 100 pieces of brass on the shelf I bought about 3 years ago, just in case.

Haha I got lots a brass, and a blr 358 already. Just love the chambering. Not too much a guy couldn't do with a 358 if a guy "hunts"....

Haha I got lots a brass, and a blr 358 already. Just love the chambering. Not too much a guy couldn't do with a 358 if a guy "hunts"....

Are the B.C.s high enough to kill anything larger than squirrels and such? 😉
Oops... “Hint” lol
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 03/31/19
Boolits mean more than headstamps.... grin
Perfect!!! I got Bullets, dies, and brass I will be listing for sale soon for 358 win.
nyrifleman,
While not the most accurate scale, our bathroom scale shows it a little over 6 pounds.
I will be adding Talley rings and a Burris FF II 2-7x35 w/ a #4 reticle this afternoon.
Looking forward to getting it to the range.

StarchedCover
Thank you!
Posted By: rbg63 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/02/19
I ordered and received a Grice Ruger American in .358 WIN. This is a complement rifle to my Marlin XS7 that I have JES rebore to .358 win.
Nice light weight. Finish on barrel receiver is a "rough matte". If you bump it on something it wants to leave a mark.
No biggie, I got this for a truck gun. Mounted a Leupold VX•R 2-7x33mm.

Didn't have any TAC or Reloder 10x on hand so we loaded some AA-2520 that has shown some promise in the past.
Tried Hornady 250 gr SP, Hornady 200 gr SP, Sierra 225 grand Speer 220 gr HotCore.
With this powder it shot the 200 gr Hornady SP and Speer 220 gr best. Looks like these may have some potential after load development. Groups shot at 100 meters with rest.
Didn't spend a lot of time on loads yet. I'll wait til I get several powders to test. Just waited to go out and throw some lead.
Trigger was acceptable. I didn't mess with it at this time. The only thing I notice is you have to watch how you hold your shooting thumb or the pronounced tang safety will remind you not to put your thumb there.

If this is messed up the images are in the image gallery. FINALLY GOT THE PICTURES!!

Grice Ruger American .358 win

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/02/19
Quick work!

Good for you (and Ruger).
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

StarchedCover

Whats it weigh?

With a Leupold 2-7x33 on mine, it weighs 7.07 lbs.
Sounds like a great combination. I still haven't blooded a rebore Savage 9.3X62 I bought from you Diamond Jim. Packy
Where did you find that flyer? I looked online and didn't see it?
Posted By: Alaninga Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/03/19
Love the 358 Win. Had a 77R 358 for a dozen years - a joy to hunt with and handload for.
This Ruger American has only a 20” barrel, the finish on the barrel looks rough, stock comb looks like not high enough.
UPS delivered mine to my LGS yesterday. Picking it up today!
😁
Posted By: rbg63 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/14/19
I got to spend a little time today with my new Grice's Ruger American .358 Win.

It was raining and extremely windy but I wanted to load and test some 250 gr Speer Spire Points and a hefty load of TAC. We got it sighted in despite gusting 30 mph wind and intermittent heavy rainfall.

I'm really liking this rifle. I have it set up with a Leupold 30mm VX-R 2-7x33 in Vortex low rings. It looks like the scope is mounted high because of the small objective lens. But if it was mounted any lower it would interfere with the power adjustment dial with this rail and ring setup. I'll have to lose the rail and try different mounts to get it lower.

Thought I would share a few "tailgate" pictures that I took it between downpours. The rifle with scope and rings weighs 7.3 lbs with this setup according to my cheap digital fish scale.

Sorry, trying to get pictures to post. I'm stupid I guess. I'm following instructions in forum help. I've tried three times. Somebody help this idiot out please.

Grice's Ruger American .358 Win

[img]www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13738592/grices-ruger-american-358-win[/img]

Attached picture UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg
Attached picture UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3.jpg
Attached picture UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5.jpg
Attached picture UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7.jpg
Attached picture UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1.jpg
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/14/19
Probably the ultimate "truck" gun.....
Always enjoyed seeing that medium bore bullet coming out of the 308 case. I have plenty of cases and if I run out, lots of 7.62 LC once fired here. It is what I use quite often anyway. It MUST be the ultimate truck gun. Load some 158 gr HPs as fast as they can go. See what is left of a coyote. For bigger stuff I have some 275 gr Hornady RNs or 280 gr WFN cast. Should drop a mouse, moose, eh Elks? Rusty
Thanks for the pics rbj.

I'm trying to convince myself I don't need this rifle.

I'm trying to convince myself I don't need this rifle.

Sounds like you’re trying to have a bad influence on yourself.

Getting two is a better idea.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/14/19
Well shiit, I got drunk and ordered one last night.... 😂😂
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/14/19

been there, brother
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/14/19
The .358 has been under appreciated for many years but here is a chance to purchase one. I own it's smaller cousin, a Marlin in 35 Remington and its effect upon wild hogs is dramatic, indeed!

Sherwood

Very, very interesting. And I’m a lefty.

But I was really hoping to see the marvelous, new 350 Legend in that American carbine.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

been there, brother

Haha, it'll be a hammer! Love the 35's....
Posted By: rbg63 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/15/19
I also love the .35's.

I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and a Marlin XS7 that I put a 35 Rem 20" shaw barrel, added a front sight and set it up with a skinner rear. Nice little aperture sighted bolt gun. I try to get some decent pictures of it soon.

I also have an Obendorf Mauser 98 in 35 Whelen AI that I load 250 gr Nosler Partitions running a bit under 2600 just in case a herd of rogue pachyderms come through Central Texas. You never know. grin
Posted By: tzone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/16/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They also did a run of .358's in the stainless/synthetic Hawkeye a while back. I owned one for a while.

I did as well. I’m thinking it was 2008’ish. It was a fun rifle. I cut the barrel to 20-inches. It was a handy little fun for the tight shooting area I used it.
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/17/19
Mine might be here by Friday. 200 gr Accubombs at SPS. Gonna try AA2015 first per Pet Loads by Ken Waters.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by jimone
Mine might be here by Friday. 200 gr Accubombs at SPS. Gonna try AA2015 first per Pet Loads by Ken Waters.

Nice keep me posted, I just saw the 200 accubonds last night, that’s what I’ll try first... should be like peas and carrots for our locales....
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/18/19
Should be a good truck gun if it feeds, unlike my 8 twist 22-250.
Also gonna cast and pc some 200 gr RCBS fngc lead, like a super 35 Remington.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/23/19
Picked mine up a hour ago, not bad for a $400 rifle
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/23/19
Nice "truck guns" as a few of you guys have mentioned. If your rifles like the 200 gr Accubond it is tough to beat. With the Ruger American's reputation for accuracy I bet you guys will do well with them. My BLR doesn't like the Accubond so they get used in the Whelen. I always ignored the little 358 Win because of owning it's bigger brother but after owning the BLR a bit over a year man it's been a lot of fun. If someone reading this is on the fence about snagging one of these I bet you won't be disappointed wink
That’ll be my first choice, shoot be a great combo.
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/23/19
9mm Creedmore Improved?
Get mine tomorrow, been jamming 308's thru the sizer, candle anneal and drop in dish soap and citric acid, turn on us cleaner at end of batch.
Hope the AB works, dummy at 2.80" looks good.
Coulda done without the threaded muzzle....
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/23/19
Got some 200 gr RCBS flat nose gc cast, waiting on sizer to pc.
Range brass and easy 35 Rem +P lead performance, what's not to like?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/23/19
[Linked Image]

I really wish I could.meet the guy who designed tho stocks. He needs to be beaten with a jackhammer
😂😂
Posted By: SMACK Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
Dang! I talked myself out of one. Now I’m revisiting it.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19

Ruger is threading a lot of their rifle muzzles anymore. Some handguns too. I like that. Options. smile

Kinda like those Ruger American rifles. Don't have one yet, but the few I've shot worked great! Excellent accuracy & reliability.

358 Win isn't a cartridge I've messed with, but a buddy calls his 358 Browning BLR "Killer" as it's brought down 20+ elk over the years, along with a couple of black bear and a few mulies.

Guy
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
Originally Posted by Cascade

Ruger is threading a lot of their rifle muzzles anymore. Some handguns too. I like that. Options. smile

Kinda like those Ruger American rifles. Don't have one yet, but the few I've shot worked great! Excellent accuracy & reliability.

358 Win isn't a cartridge I've messed with, but a buddy calls his 358 Browning BLR "Killer" as it's brought down 20+ elk over the years, along with a couple of black bear and a few mulies.

Guy

You need one Guy, that little 358 would be perfect for you smile
Posted By: timspawn Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
I just tried to put a suppressor on mine, the barrel is not threaded 5/8x24 as advertised, it is bigger than that.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
JM, Gotta be happy with that rig and the price point...😎

I was with you!

You guys need to stop bumping this thread before we do something foolish. grin
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
[Linked Image]

Good round for limbing and clear cutting timber 😬😎
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19

I was with you!

You guys need to stop bumping this thread before we do something foolish. grin

Resistance is futile gentlemen...........
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle. Any idea what kind of velocities you are getting with the 200 gr pills?
CDNN has the .308 magazine on sale. There should be no difference in the magazine. $28.00
Originally Posted by timspawn
I just tried to put a suppressor on mine, the barrel is not threaded 5/8x24 as advertised, it is bigger than that.

11/16x24. I like suppressors, but I believe I'd use some red loctite on the protector if I had one.

Have they made changes to the magazine? It looks different on the bottom than my older American mags.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/24/19
Dunno? My first one
Got mine and put a camo stock and muzzle brake on it. It's wearing a Leupold 2-7 on it. Looking forward to getting it out in the field.
[Linked Image]
Where’d ya get the stock Jim?
Found it on GB. I got lucky, I guess.
Looks sexy!!
Well the magazine marks say they are the same between the .308 and .358.
Magazine marks
[Linked Image]
Magazine top
[Linked Image]
Weaver V-3 just stuck on to look at stock fit. I want a straight 2.5x or 3x.
[Linked Image]
Yea...that's definitely a different mag. Looks like it's not a rotary, but has a follower like all of the other makers' mags that actually feed cartridges??
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/25/19
Yes it’s not a rotary mag. Locks up nice and tight in mine
I need to get a couple of those mags for my other SA Americans. I bought a few 450 Bushmaster mags with followers, but they aren't flush fit.
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/25/19
Shot mine today, 200 Accubonds fed great at 2.785", accuracy shows promise.
Mag is way different than my Whittakers special 22-250, gonna talk to Ruger to see if they can update, action is different as is stock.
Update your 22-250?
Trigger in mine is shiit too..
Posted By: timspawn Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/25/19
I adjusted my trigger to where the screw is sticking out of the housing a bit and it still is at 3lbs. Haven't shot it yet.
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/25/19
I have used localy sourced lighter springs, and shimmed the feather to make it better. I don't want much less than 3 1/2# on this beast .

Tried it again and the new mag works in my older 22-250 just fine. I will be ordering more soon.
Ya I’ll pull it apart and loosen er up...
Throw them away gents... no A-Tip bullet for the .358
The m-carbo trigger springs are cheap and easy to install. I’ve done 4 of them and they all improved.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/26/19
Just adjusted it, much better, plenty good for a meat axe.....
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/30/19
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Got mine and put a camo stock and muzzle brake on it. It's wearing a Leupold 2-7 on it. Looking forward to getting it out in the field.
[Linked Image]

I went 2-7 Leupold too Jim, Burris zee rings, nice handy package...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/30/19
Nice looking set up Jud, now get out there and shoot the thing, times wasting away wink
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/30/19
😂😂 I think I'll load some up today, got some TAC so we'll see what she does!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 04/30/19
Great, bet it's going to shoot well for you.
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 05/03/19
Here ya go Gerry, 225 sgk, I’ll shoot er this weekend
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 05/03/19
Nice! Those are a great match for the 358 Win. Good luck this weekend......
Posted By: jimone Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 05/08/19
Mine is doing well with 220 Speer, and 200 Acubonds with IMR8208, 2400 and 2500 fps per the chrony today. Accubonds started at 2500 fps still have 1850 fps at 300 yds, 10 " low with 200 yd zero.
250 Speers on the way to try, mostly 'cuz I'm cheap and there's a rebate.
Put in for my moose permit yesterday too.
My MRC 1999 likes the 225 Accubond / 45 TAC / 210M at 2.93" COAL Best 3-shot group 0.623" - once fired jamison brass

Also 225 Partition 48 TAC / 210 M / 2.79 COAL 3-shot groups under 1 1/2" - new Jamison brass
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 12/30/19
Swapped scopes, shot her yesterday, 3\4" .. 49 gr tac, 225 SGK. Dandy little hammer..
Posted By: Judman Re: Ruger American .358 Winny - 12/30/19
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire