Home
Looking for little help and constructive criticism. I use a Rock BR front rest and a rear bag on the bench. The standard front bag on the Rock BR is pretty hard. When i shoot lighter guns they typically want to lift into orbit and bounce off the rest which as you can imagine hurts the groups. I typically use my left hand to squeeze the rear bag but Ive been reading up and it looks like i need to support the fore-end with my left hand or even the top of my scope. So far so good...but my next question is the front bag on the Rock. Would i be better off removing it completely and using a folded up towel in its place? Ive read a bit that a softer front rest often helps a lot. How much pressure or lack of on the cheek weld? How hard should i pull the gun into my shoulder?

Talking a rifle that's under 7lbs all up...
I, too, shoot light weight rifles. For load development, I use a Bald Eagle Triangle rest with an owl ear bag in the front, and a rabbit ear bag in the back. I am a "bag-squeezer" and shoot free-recoil at the bench.

I've experimented with holding down the front of the rifle with various methods (pull foreend down onto the front bag, place my hand on the barrel-action interface or scope objective), and did not see any improvement to group size, so I continue with the free-recoil method.

I frequently get a strong horizontal component to the recoil impulse (i.e., a side-to-side kick, in addition to the usual straight-back kick) , which I know is not good, but can't figure out the cause or how to prevent it. This has happened with various different rifles, so it must be caused by something I am doing or my rest.

I am very interested to hear the responses to the OP's question.
MPAJ Prone from Ruck. You'll not drag a stud and will get a better read,on how said parcel will perform in The REAL World.

Hint...............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
MPAJ Prone from Ruck. You'll not drag a stud and will get a better read,on how said parcel will perform in The REAL World.

Hint...............

Agree with you Stick...my hunting rifles are always sighted in and checked at distance with the method ill be using in the field either prone over my pack or sitting over my pack when im stand hunting.

Im a range rat though...and shoot an awful lot from the bench for the sake of punching paper. Thats why im curious as the my bench setup.
I've seen me shoot from a Ruck with a rear fist,when forced to suffer a bench.

Hint.................
Fold a soft towel over the front rest. Tip from Mule Deer. Works for my CLR.
Ruck surface area is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more forgiving,than that of a front rest and it's narrow positioning impositions.

Hint................
Ruck surface area is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more forgiving,than that of a front rest and it's narrow positioning impositions.

Hint................
So you carry a loaded ruck everywhere you go?

That's precious!

But you should probably learn to shoot instead.
Trybone,

I barely have a coupla dozen rucks and your inability to connect a dot,will only "surprise" you. Congratulations?!?

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint....................
Shot some great groups with my M24 SWS over a ruck gathering data out to 800 yards... I'm a believer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Barrett Fieldcraft Rucktitude RINK

Hilariously,Trybone couldn't afford the ruck(let alone what's in it),nor the rifle(which was NIB) or the crummy.

But LUCKILY...Imagination and Pretend are within her "means",so she can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint.....................
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Shot some great groups with my M24 SWS over a ruck gathering data out to 800 yards... I'm a believer.
That's fine, but Fug Stick hauls out a ruck to shoot 10 feet from his porch.

You are an accomplished shooter. Fug Stick? He tries to make little rocks from big rocks. And he needs a bipod or a rest to do it.

Fug Stick, tell us about your biggest accomplishment. Was it an especially big rock that made nice gravel?
Trybone,

What kind of bipod was in the video? Congratulations?!?

You poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk.

LAUGHING!

Hint..............
Still treating your gear like schitt. Congratulations???

What? You want a medal? Just say the words & I'll submit that video for the tard olympics.

(You'll still lose, because they are actually athletes and have talent.)
Trybone,

Actual use,do tend to make Window Licking Dreamers uneasy. Congratulations?!?

Like you could "afford" a ruck.

LAUGHING!

Hint.................
Oh, good one!
I'm still laughing about you wearing a ruck every where you go around your trailer.
Trybone,

You are forced to suffer and reflect upon your version of "means","abilities" and "experience". Congratulations?!?

You Pavement Pounding Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot!

Laughing!

Hint...............

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
That's fine, but Fug Stick hauls out a ruck to shoot 10 feet from his porch.

You are an accomplished shooter. Fug Stick? He tries to make little rocks from big rocks. And he needs a bipod or a rest to do it.

Fug Stick, tell us about your biggest accomplishment. Was it an especially big rock that made nice gravel?

There’s allot of $$$$ MONEY $$$$ in rock.👍👍👍

[Linked Image]
That doesn't look like a .22 Creedmoor. smile
Damn, the OP just needed advice for shooting his light weight rifle. I wish I could give him some advice, but I shoot a lightweight rifle just the same way I do a heavy one. No need to put your hand on the objective bell of the scope or hold the forend tight. I don't even use a soft towel under the rifle on the bags or front rest. Just shoot the damn thing. Some people here like using a soft towel under the rifle, maybe that helps them, but the best advice is to just get your azz off the couch and shoot.... Groups shrink when you actually shoot...
Like Trybone has "seen" a 22 Kreedmire!

Hint..................
Like Fug Stick has "seen" the winner's circle!
Trybone,

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free...so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Hint..............
Down to copying & pasting your old replies so soon?
Trybone,

I barely have 15,000 pics betwixt 'bucket and 'shack...but you "have" your Imagination and Pretend. Congratulations?!?

Hint..................
Trybone,

I barely have 15,000 pics betwixt 'bucket and 'shack...but you "have" your Imagination and Pretend. Congratulations?!?

Hint..................
If you had "Imagination" you'd be able to come up with original replies.
And if you had 15,000 pics on the net, you wouldn't post the same boring-azz pictures 10 times a day.
Trybone,

You set on your couchbound kchunt,read my EVERY word and be sure to count my EVERY Splendid Pixel. Ooooopsie!...too late! Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint...............
Fug Stick, I'm about cryin' laughing at you!
You see a "T" a "Y" and an "R" and you go into PTSD! laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Fug Stick, I'm about cryin' laughing at you!
You see a "T" a "Y" and an "R" and you go into PTSD! laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image]

For posterity. Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint..................
Boo!
Trybone,

BooHoo...is more accurate. Congratulations?!?

You CLUELESS Whining Kchunt.

Hint.................
I have a Ruger M77 compact 243. No modifications other than a trigger job. I haven't shot a group over 1.5" with it. It will shoot a half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards with a 4x Leopold.
"All day".

LAUGHING!

Hint...............
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just shoot the damn thing. ......…...………. the best advice is to just get your azz off the couch and shoot.... Groups shrink when you actually shoot...

What he said. Yep.
lean into it, and I put my off hand over the scope on the bench.

from the field a good ching sling (galco is what I use so I don't ahve to mess with a 3rd stud) or an old military style sling slung up correctly will also do wonders for your accuracy.

!I'm kinda new here but It appears what I've heard about Phug Stick is true. LOL!
I find very light rifles to require more concentration to achieve good trigger pulls. They are less forgiving. Aside from this, if more stability does not yield better shooting, there’s a problem somewhere. Plus, more recoil makes the trigger thing harder 😉

I think a Fieldcraft shooting 200 grain 06 rounds would be a handful. But would like to try it ...
I would not want to launch 180 grains from a Fieldcraft at 3000 FPS 😱
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I find very light rifles to require more concentration to achieve good trigger pulls. They are less forgiving. Aside from this, if more stability does not yield better shooting, there’s a problem somewhere. Plus, more recoil makes the trigger thing harder 😉

Less forgiving of inconsistencies and poor technique in my experience. I find they tend to shoot the best for me if held in both hands (ie weak hand holding the fore end), with the back of the weak hand rested. Not only for group size but also a POI which will match up with what I'll get shooting the same way in the field.

Of course, it is also important to watch out for consistency in all aspects of the shooting for best results, including consistent placement and pressure of the buttplate on the shoulder, elbow position, head position etc, but that applies to any precision shooting.

Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I think a Fieldcraft shooting 200 grain 06 rounds would be a handful. But would like to try it ...

I'd like to try one too. They look like a nice rifle, and a handy sort of weight to carry around. FWIW I put a box of Remington CorLokt 220 gn .30/06 through a mate's Remington 700 Ti one time - checked zero from a rest and then shot a pig with each of the remaining rounds, some in quite rapid succession. I didn't find the recoil particularly distracting in that little rifle.
© 24hourcampfire