Home
Posted By: Setterman Rifle Value - 04/20/19
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1982 model of a Rem 700 ADL Sporter in 22-250. The rifle shoots 55 gr. fodder very well and is equipped with a Rifle Basix trigger. It has a rather large rail with stainless rings and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 -14 on board. I don’t want/need the rail or the laminate stock. The gun is used but not overused.

Purchase price ?

Thanks,

Bob
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
With those modifications, its worth maybe $450....

Nice mods, for sure, but they detract, rather than add, to the value.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
I appreciate the comments Ingwe.

The rifle is owned by an older guy,I’m old, he’s older, and he has a very unrealistic idea of the gun’s worth.

I agree with your assessment,

Thanks,

Bob
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
For point of reference I just saw a 70s model 700 ADL at the LGS, .30-06 unfired and pristine for $485
That’s exactly how I thought. Thanks

Bob
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
Hardly ever does one get back what he invests in a “pet project”.

Some people don’t understand that (or want to understand).

DF
Dirt:

You are absolutely correct. This guy is a very nice guy and likely won’t be shooting much or at all. I don’t want to hurt his feelings, but neither will I overpay.

I’ve sold enough on here and on other forums and have come to understand that if one really wants to sell something, slightly underpricing is the way to go.

Bob
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
Sounds like you gonna find out if he REALLY wants to sell.

DF
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle Value - 04/20/19
Originally Posted by Setterman
I appreciate the comments Ingwe.

The rifle is owned by an older guy,I’m old, he’s older, and he has a very unrealistic idea of the gun’s worth.

I agree with your assessment,

Thanks,

Bob

Most people think their things are worth more than they are. All original is better. I bought an all original 30-06 Remington 700, made in 1973, looks new for 400.00 in the classifieds.

The whole thing is interesting, at 73, I had pretty much sworn off any additional firearm purchases, we shall see.

Bob
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Rifle Value - 04/21/19
$375-$450
Posted By: Setterman Re: Rifle Value - 04/21/19
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I’ll either bail out or do my best to minimize hurt feelings.

Bob
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
The whole thing is interesting, at 73, I had pretty much sworn off any additional firearm purchases, we shall see.

Bob

73 is way too young to be thinking like that.. wink.

DF
Posted By: Setterman Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
There are days when I think you may be right. Then there are the others. Not many of them, but enough to keep it real. Of course, there’s always the visits to nursing homes and soldiers’ homes to see buds and to remind me of my mortality.

A guy Iworked with and a vet just entered the soldiers’ home and stated, “ I’m going in, but I ain’t coming out.”

Morbid huh?

Bob
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Hardly ever does one get back what he invests in a “pet project”.

Some people don’t understand that (or want to understand).

DF

Yep.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Bob

73 is way too young to be thinking like that.. wink.

DF

Yeah, id be thinking about what rifle i was going to buy myself for my 74th birthday grin
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
400 TOPS, and then sell the base/ rings and stock here or on Ebay and probably get back 150-ish, so you're buying a barreled action and upgrade trigger for $250
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
400 TOPS, and then sell the base/ rings and stock here or on Ebay and probably get back 150-ish, so you're buying a barreled action and upgrade trigger for $250

Good plan.

DF
Selling the stock, base, rings is part of the plan if I can get this for the right price.

B
If I was the seller, I'd piecemeal it out. I think I could get more than the $450-$500 or so it could potentially bring as is.

Don't tell him that... smile

The scope, rings, trigger, rail, stock, etc. should sell pretty well, used. I'd have to think about the barreled action vs. barrel plus action.

I could see the parts going in the $700 range, action probably worth $350, used factory barrel in good shape, maybe $65 or so.

DF
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19

Selling the stock, base, rings is part of the plan if I can get this for the right price.

B

More trouble than it’s worth.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

B

More trouble than it’s worth.

Maybe, maybe not...

Depends on how much time one has and how bad he's wanting to max out his take.

DF
Problem solved. Old guy wants his rifle back, called this AM. Last week said he’d never shoot it again, this week he wants to shoot it.

Have a feeling that he really feels that It’s worth $800.00. Oh well.

Thanks to all for your input.

Best,

Bob
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle Value - 04/22/19
Ain’t worth that.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle Value - 04/23/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Ain’t worth that.

Agree.

Don't think you'd get that much parcing out parts. Lots of trouble as pointed out and I don't think you'd get over $700.

DF
Posted By: Brazos Re: Rifle Value - 04/23/19
It's just another rifle.

Glad the problem resolved itself, not worth a few bucks to hurt an old guy's feelings.

Good on ya Bob.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Rifle Value - 04/23/19
Thanks again guys. Happy resolution for a non problem.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire