Home
Posted By: cagkt3 Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
I've inherited my father's old Husqvarna, and was looking for a little more info on it. I think it may be a model 7000 but I'm not sure. Barrel length is roughly 20.75", monte carlo stock, weight is 8.25 lbs (including see through mounts and 16 oz Nikon scope), 3 leaf fold-over rear sights, front blade. S/N is 290xxx

Any insight is much appreciated.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
Get some help to post a pic.
Posted By: cagkt3 Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
I've tried attaching...had to resize due to restriction on the file size, hope it comes out big enough

Attached picture 2019-04-21_19-46-25.jpg
Here's a picture of the action

Attached picture 20190421_193043.jpg
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
cagkt3's rifle pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shinbone Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
Looks nice! I’ve heard Husky made a very good Mauser style action, and that they shoot real good.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
That is a 1600 series HVA action. It is the same configuration that Smith & Wesson imported and sold as their Model B.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
Nice. Ditch the peek-a-boo mounts for some lightweight Talleys and you're done, if the trigger is ok.
Thanks for the help posting pics Gringo!

Rifle shoots great with 180gr - taken several deer with it over the years. Just finally claiming it as mine as my dad hasn't shot in years and my brother made the mistake of letting me put it my gun safe a few years ago. Do need to swap the glass on it, as that Nikon on it has a bad habit of not holding zero.

If anyone else has info or input on on model number I'd appreciate it!
Posted By: Hook Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
That is a 1600 series HVA action. It is the same configuration that Smith & Wesson imported and sold as their Model B.

I have the Model B S&W in 30.06. It has one of the slickest actions I own and shoots lights out. I am a little surprised at the weight of your rifle as mine is noticeably lighter, one of the lightest Mausers I own. The S&W stock is definitely slimmer, but it doesn't seem it would make that much difference.

You have a fine rifle and one to be proud of considering it was your Dad's. I agree that the see through mounts should be ditched.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
A very nice rifle!
Husky model numbers are confusing so I won't try but it does appear to be the 1600 type action and they are great IMO.
As Pappy says, get some Talley mounts for it and mount the new scope low.......lower that comb if needed to make it fit right.
Posted By: okie john Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
You’ve got one of the best lightweight hunting rifles ever built. There have been a bunch of posts on them here lately. A search will get you a ton of good information on their strengths and weaknesses.

Okie John
Posted By: Hook Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
I got curious about the weight and decided to go recheck mine. With a 6X Jap Weaver scope and 2 piece Weaver bases and rings, the outfit is 7lbs, 6.5 ozs. I know my stock looks slimmer and maybe the barrel is, too. But the barrel is the same length and I am curious where the extra weight might be.

Doesn't really matter, both of us still have great rifles and yours kicks less!
Posted By: hanco Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/22/19
Here is some Talley bases and rings on a 1600 action.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cagkt3 Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/23/19
Originally Posted by Hook
I got curious about the weight and decided to go recheck mine. With a 6X Jap Weaver scope and 2 piece Weaver bases and rings, the outfit is 7lbs, 6.5 ozs. I know my stock looks slimmer and maybe the barrel is, too. But the barrel is the same length and I am curious where the extra weight might be.

Doesn't really matter, both of us still have great rifles and yours kicks less!

My weight may not be the most accurate (using an old handheld fishing scale) so take it with a grain of salt. Not sure either exactly how much that scope and the mounts weighs, I just had the specs on that scope at 16oz. I figure maybe around 7 lbs for the rifle by itself.
Regardless, I love the rifle - took my first deer with it and hope to take it to Africa with me soon.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/23/19
Great rifles. I have a lightweight 4100 in 30-06 that is one of my favorite hunting rifles. An old long tube Leupold m8 4X seems to be the perfect match for it in Weaver bases and low old style rings. The only issue I have ever had with them are the relatively heavy factory triggers and tendency to crack the stock right at the tang.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/24/19
I have another 1600 in the lightweight version with beechwood stock and it weighs 6 pounds scopeless......30-06
Posted By: sixfive Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/25/19
cagkt3,

Nice looking rifle there. They were built to stand the test of time for sure. It looks like a Husqvarna 4000 model to me. They were imported by Tradewinds Inc. What does the barrel have stamped on the top of it, if you don't mind me asking? The If it is a 4000 model they had a 20.5 inch barrel and the Monte Carlo cheek piece. The catalogs in the 60's advertised a 4000 model to be 6 lbs. 8 oz. in weight. I am sure here were probably small variations rifle to rifle I would imagine. I seems to be about a 1965 manufacture by the serial number. A nice looking piece of hunting history. Congrats.

Perhaps you could send the Nikon to the manufacturer and see if they will go through it for you? Worth a shot.

Regards,
sixfive
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/25/19
My Husqvarna 1600 30-06 is my main general purpose hunting rifle.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/26/19
I'll add another Husky '06, a project gun that turned out nice.

Very accurate, very light and super slick action.

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/27/19
Some of the Husqvarna 1600 type actions came with a steel floor plate and trigger guard and some came with aluminum. I have a Husqvarna 30/06 rifle that has the steel floor plate and trigger guard and a 243 that has the aluminum. The little bit of extra weight on the 3006 is appreciated.
Posted By: cagkt3 Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/27/19
Originally Posted by sixfive
cagkt3,

Nice looking rifle there. They were built to stand the test of time for sure. It looks like a Husqvarna 4000 model to me. They were imported by Tradewinds Inc. What does the barrel have stamped on the top of it, if you don't mind me asking? The If it is a 4000 model they had a 20.5 inch barrel and the Monte Carlo cheek piece. The catalogs in the 60's advertised a 4000 model to be 6 lbs. 8 oz. in weight. I am sure here were probably small variations rifle to rifle I would imagine. I seems to be about a 1965 manufacture by the serial number. A nice looking piece of hunting history. Congrats.

Perhaps you could send the Nikon to the manufacturer and see if they will go through it for you? Worth a shot.

Regards,
sixfive

The top of the barrel reads Husqvarna Vapenfabriks A.B. 30-06 US Imperial. The reason I thought it might be the 7000 model was the folding 3-Leaf rear sight.

Either way, still love the rifle!

I have thought about sending in the Nikon. I bought it on clearance many years ago for about $140 so I'm just not very motivated to spend a whole bunch of time messing with it. It may just get thrown on a bolt action 22 for plinking.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/27/19
For my very light ‘06, I’ve loaded 130 gr Hornady, not the varmint version. Groups were surprisingly tight, terminal performance on WT’s, about as good as one would want. And at 3+ K fps, recoil isn’t bad.

DF
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/27/19
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
An old long tube Leupold m8 4X seems to be the perfect match for it in Weaver bases and low old style rings.

X2

Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The only issue I have ever had with them are the relatively heavy factory triggers and tendency to crack the stock right at the tang.

I'd have it bedded before doing anything with it. This will prevent the usual tang crack.
Posted By: sixfive Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/28/19
cagkt3,

I would say you hit the nail on the head in your original post. With the "Imperial" stamped on the barrel it is indeed a 7000 Imperial Monte-Carlo Lightweight. I should have waited for your reply as to what was stamped on the barrel before saying it was a 4000 model. I was incorrect saying 4000 model. The 7000 Imperials were advertised as having the 3-leaf folding rear sight specifically in Tradewinds catalog. I have seen the leaf sights on other models too. Your rifle inspired me to do some digging in the gun catalogs and books. The Tradewinds catalogs I have do not list a barrel length but, the over all length is listed as41.5 inches same as a 4000 model. Another reliable source puts the barrel length of a 7000 model at 52 cm (20.47 inches). Also the rifle weight is 6 lbs. 8 oz. same as the 4000.

My wife has a 6000 Imperial in .243. It is the longer barreled Husqvarna with a heavier stock configuration. A fine shooter too. There are reproductions of the old Tradewinds catalogs out there if you were wanting some literature on the rifle. If I read correctly the 7000 Imperial was only done in 1965-1967. I don't know haw many though. Hope this helps you out some. A fine rifle indeed.

Regards,
sixfive
Posted By: cagkt3 Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/28/19
Originally Posted by sixfive
cagkt3,

I would say you hit the nail on the head in your original post. With the "Imperial" stamped on the barrel it is indeed a 7000 Imperial Monte-Carlo Lightweight. I should have waited for your reply as to what was stamped on the barrel before saying it was a 4000 model. I was incorrect saying 4000 model. The 7000 Imperials were advertised as having the 3-leaf folding rear sight specifically in Tradewinds catalog. I have seen the leaf sights on other models too. Your rifle inspired me to do some digging in the gun catalogs and books. The Tradewinds catalogs I have do not list a barrel length but, the over all length is listed as41.5 inches same as a 4000 model. Another reliable source puts the barrel length of a 7000 model at 52 cm (20.47 inches). Also the rifle weight is 6 lbs. 8 oz. same as the 4000.

My wife has a 6000 Imperial in .243. It is the longer barreled Husqvarna with a heavier stock configuration. A fine shooter too. There are reproductions of the old Tradewinds catalogs out there if you were wanting some literature on the rifle. If I read correctly the 7000 Imperial was only done in 1965-1967. I don't know haw many though. Hope this helps you out some. A fine rifle indeed.

Regards,
sixfive

I'll do some digging and see if I can pick up a copy of the catalogs, it'd be neat to have if nothing else! Thanks for the help!!
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/28/19
I believe the model 7000 also came with an adjustable trigger, a really nice bonus!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/28/19
I have owned quite a few Husqvarna rifle and still have two that I have kept. Quality and value wise they are real sleepers.
Before changing the scope I would first change those mounts and see if that helps your problem.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Husqvarna 30-06 - 04/28/19
Originally Posted by 458Win

Before changing the scope I would first change those mounts and see if that helps your problem.

+1

Any trade/purchase I end up with wearing see thru rings, they're the first to go.

That's a nice rifle. Set up right, you probably have a keeper, especially if it shoots as good as I think it will.

DF
© 24hourcampfire