Home
Posted By: eaglemountainman Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
Since I booked a pronghorn hunt for Oct., I figured it gave me an excuse to purchase a new firearm. ...as if I needed an excuse. laugh I have at least 6 rifles in the safe right now perfectly suited for goats and muleys .

Anyway, I've been looking at the Bergara B14 Woodsman in 7-08. It meets my criteria for blued steel and walnut, and weighs in at 6.6 Lbs with a 22" bbl. With a VX2 2-7x33, it should be all in right at, or under, 7 1/4 lbs.They hype 1 moa accuracy guarantee, and lots of reviews seem to support it, though some do not.

If anyone here on the forum has any experience or opinions, I'd be interested in your impressions. Also, would be interested in alternatives at the same price point, as long as they're blued steel and walnut. And, not the least interested in Tikka. Thanks.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
Where have I seen this before.............hmm.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
Stock fit is an important box to check for me and since the Bergara stocks don't fit me very well, they are a nonstarter.
Model seven ?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Model seven ?

Already have one in 7-08 since '84. Great rifle. Bang flopped two caribou bulls with it in 2000. Lost count of the deer it's put in the freezer. My daughter kind of commandeered it. All I know is, it lives at her house now.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Where have I seen this before.............hmm.

Could have been a few places. I listed it in several subs and forums.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
You better get Big Stick the guru,s opinon on it.....

He has "shot it all and then some".

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: UncleSoapy Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
Hint....
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/27/19
My opinion is Buy a Tikka...........don't ask me why my Bergara is at the factory now.. maybe it's because of accuracy issues..... Hint.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
I have a Bergara Hunter in 6.5 CM. It is accurate and no real complaints. I got it for $550 OTD, but they normally sell for about $700. At $700 I'd have bought a Tikka.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Anyway, I've been looking at the Bergara B14 Woodsman in 7-08. It meets my criteria for blued steel and walnut, and weighs in at 6.6 Lbs with a 22" bbl. With a VX2 2-7x33, it should be all in right at, or under, 7 1/4 lbs.They hype 1 moa accuracy guarantee, and lots of reviews seem to support it, though some do not.

If anyone here on the forum has any experience or opinions, I'd be interested in your impressions. Also, would be interested in alternatives at the same price point, as long as they're blued steel and walnut. And, not the least interested in Tikka.

I reckon just get it and find out once and for all. They are a nice looking rifle if’n you ask me. If it comes to the shoulder and feels nicely, grab it!

If you do so, please post your observations and pictures so we can all hear first hand...
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
I have a B-14 Ridge in 6.5 Creed that I dropped in a Grayboe Terrain. It is consistently around 1/2" @ 100 with ELD's and H4350. Prior to it, I had a B-14 Hunter in 6.5 Creed. It was a consistent 3/4" @ 100 with 120 BT's and RL16. My brother has the Woodsman in 6.5 Creed. It shoots 1/2" with 120 BT's & RL17, and also likes 143 ELDX over RL26.

All that to say that, while Bergara may not have the twist rate or mag length in some calibers to shoot the high BC bullets, my experience is that they are well made and accurate.

One other piece of info, the factory trigger in my Ridge was a clean and consistent 2 lbs 12.
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
I've got a B-14 Ridge in 300WM and its 1/2" at 100 yards. Don't have a lot of rounds down it yet but has gotten a bit better with each range trip. Mine is a bit picky about brass, I've found it like Federal the best, so that's what it gets.
Posted By: CP Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
If you have to do a belly crawl through the sage, rabbit brush and prickly pear to get on to your goat, it is helpful to have a rifle that is capable of locking the bolt down. But then again, I am just a Tikka and Kimber guy when it comes to lightweight hunting rifles. CP.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
I'm not bashing Bergara but a $800 rifle should shoot at least 1 in groups every time I take it to the range. My woodsman will not shoot a similar group with the same ammo from day to day. I beded the recoil lug, installed a Timney ( adjusted to 2 lbs) tried 4-5 different factory loads, tried 4-5 different hand loads with various powders, bullets and finally found a great load I thought. The next day that same load shot like crap so I thought it was me. Off to the range again, keep in mind this all is over a time span of around 4 months and I'm still not happy with it... called Bergara and it's at Bergara now being checked out.
Also keep in mind it arrived to me NIB missing the bolt extractor, I took a picture and emailed to Nate Treadway ( CEO of BPI outdoors) , they took care of it right away, very good customer service. We'll see how they handle the accuracy issue.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
My sample of one, Bergara hunter is 1/2” at 200 with factory stuff. Haven’t even felt like working up a load when it shoots like that. It’s better made than any 700 or model seven I’ve ever had. Again, that’s just one..... but it’s one I’ll keep.
Posted By: 603Country Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/28/19
I swapped for a Bergara in 6.5 CM. Fiddled with loads for a bit and found the sweet spot. It’s a terrific shooter. Sold it to my brother. He was thrilled with the rifle and loads after shooting it for a bit. The rifle impressed me.
Originally Posted by CP
If you have to do a belly crawl through the sage, rabbit brush and prickly pear to get on to your goat, it is helpful to have a rifle that is capable of locking the bolt down. But then again, I am just a Tikka and Kimber guy when it comes to lightweight hunting rifles. CP.

I have pretty much switched up and I'm giving the Kimber Classic Select a good hard look in either 7-08 or 257 Roberts. It's a bit more money, but they are Made In America, have a Mauser style controlled round feed, 3 pos safety, also known for great accuracy, weigh just 5.10 and boy, are they pretty.

For reasons I won't get into, I'll never own a Tikka. For those that have em and love em, I'm happy for you . Enjoy them.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 04/29/19
No comment on the rifle, but I’d want more scope than 2-7x
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
No comment on the rifle, but I’d want more scope than 2-7x

I disagree. 7X is plenty for my self imposed limit of 300 yds. However, I have a Leuy VX3i 3.5-10x 40 in the mail, heading towards me, right now.
Posted By: IceCut Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 05/02/19

Geez....not in my part of the woods. Three guys I know got rid of their Tikkas and bought Bergara. They are all VERY HAPPY. Two are Ridge Rifles and one is a Stalker. I think Tikkas are grossly OVERHYPED!

Geez....not in my part of the woods. Three guys I know got rid of their Tikkas and bought Bergara. They are all VERY HAPPY. Two are Ridge Rifles and one is a Stalker. I think Tikkas are grossly OVERHYPED!

HINT....Tikka's are hyped. Buy a Bergara!
Posted By: RedAstrachan Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 05/02/19
Sure wish Bergara BA 13 single shots were available on this side of the puddle. I recently bought a Henry that misfired after misfired after misfired. Sent it to Henry, and they "proudly" sent it back with the trigger weight north of 8 pounds and plenty of creep, but now it doesn't misfire. Henry seems not to be in the slightest bit interested in solving this problem, one that the majority of buyers complain about. The Bergara BA13 would give them a good run for their money. I'd buy one and sell the Henry in a heartbeat.

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwXn6wl8nI
Posted By: hookeye Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 05/02/19
Handled the CVA Scouts.............look same to me as BA13.
Decent price, but can't warm up to em. Clunky.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 05/03/19
Red is that a left hand model or did the photo get reversed somehow?
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Bergara B14 Woodsman - 06/14/19
Update to my Bergara B14 woodsman 270. I sent my rifle back to the factory for accuracy issues back in March. I received my rifle back today with a new barrel and target. Groups are a little over 1/2" with Federal 130's BT so I'm ok with that. I can say they do stand behind their product. Looking forward to see how it'll shoot some 150's .
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire