Home
Long time lurker making my first post. I'm looking to pick up a new hunting rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Rifle will primarily be used for whitetail, muleys, and antelope, and occasionally cow elk. I have a sportsman's warehouse a few hours from my house, and the last time I was out that way (last summer) I messed around with the superlite. It shouldered well, and the bolt was smooth as butter.

Since then I've become aware of the Sauer 100. Everything I've read has been positive, but nobody locally carries them, so I'd likely be buying online without handling beforehand.

I'm curious if anyone owns a Sauer 100, or possibly both a 100 and t3x (lite or superlite), and how they like it/how they compare. The sauer is close to a pound heavier, but still well under 7 pounds, so I'm not sure weight is a deal breaker. I'm more concerned about fit, finish, accuracy, and reliability. The longer LOP on the Sauer likely isn't an issue either as I am 6'4". Realistically both are probably great rifles and would fit my needs, but I half the fun in buying a new rifle is stressing over which on is a better value.

Thanks in advance.
SW also handles the Sauer lineup , I saw a Ceratech at the Roanoke Store
tikka t3x SS SL. for the win and it is what will most likely be my next purchase and maybe even that caliber.
I have two T3s, and sauer 100 and while the 100 is a great rile, tikka has the after market parts if you ever want to tinker with with your rifle.
Sauer 100:
3 Pos safety
Better stock ergos
22" barrel 1/8.66 twist
Cerakote (I'm assuming over CM)
5rd factory mag

Tikka:
2 position safety (my preference)
More aftermarket
24.3" 1/8 twist
Stainless
3rd factory mag

I'm betting if you call Whittakers you can get a standard T3x Lite for enough of a price difference to have the barreled action cerakoted and have a stainless bore.

For me:

[Linked Image]

I'll take the Tikka
Sauer is a disposable rifle, can't rebarrel it. Get the tikka
Thanks for the replies; I think I'll stick to my original plan and go with the t3x SL. I should draw an antelope tag this year, so looking forward to carrying that around the plains as opposed to lugging my 9 lb (fully loaded) Remington Model 700 30-06.
The Sauer has a better trigger. The trigger housing on the Sauer is plastic if that bothers anyone. Both guns have their share of plastic.
I have the T3 SL in 6.5. It's a shooter like my other Tikkas. For me you can't get a more accurate/smoother rifle for the money.
Originally Posted by kman

The barrel on the 100 is threaded into the receiver, this is coming straight from blaser USA. The trigger guard is also metal, not plastic.

Facts are weird.
Buy the Tikka, if you decide you don’t like it you can always sell it here and not lose too much money.

If you buy a Sauer and don’t like it, good luck with your sale...

Why do you say that?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Why do you say that?

Not Kman but the barrel is sleeved into the reciever and cannot be replaced.
I was wondering, too, whether the barrel was threaded or press fit, as is the Sauer 101. I've seen some reviews that state that it is press fit like the 101, but others saying that Sauer went traditional with a threaded barrel. Here is a post from a forum with a link to a pretty extensive review of the 100 XT and that review says that it is threaded :

"In the original press release when this rifle was first offered it stated that the barrel is threaded into the receiver. I contacted our NZ importer and the manager there confirmed it is threaded with Sauer. Here is an in-depth review
www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-...-308-win-in-depth-rifle-review-1-4841991
About halfway through the review you will see a magazine loaded with ammo sitting on an ammo box with the trigger guard metal. If you read from there it states that it is threaded."

The excerpt from the article referenced states the following:

"so rather than being a press fit, the joint between action and barrel is now threaded to maintain integrity under the pressure of firing."

Also, the trigger guard on the 100 is metal, there is no doubt about that.

Originally Posted by BMR
I was wondering, too, whether the barrel was threaded or press fit, as is the Sauer 101. I've seen some reviews that state that it is press fit like the 101, but others saying that Sauer went traditional with a threaded barrel. Here is a post from a forum with a link to a pretty extensive review of the 100 XT and that review says that it is threaded :

"In the original press release when this rifle was first offered it stated that the barrel is threaded into the receiver. I contacted our NZ importer and the manager there confirmed it is threaded with Sauer. Here is an in-depth review
www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-...-308-win-in-depth-rifle-review-1-4841991
About halfway through the review you will see a magazine loaded with ammo sitting on an ammo box with the trigger guard metal. If you read from there it states that it is threaded."

The excerpt from the article referenced states the following:

"so rather than being a press fit, the joint between action and barrel is now threaded to maintain integrity under the pressure of firing."

Also, the trigger guard on the 100 is metal, there is no doubt about that.

Read some more on the article and indeed the barrel is threaded. Thanks
Issue has been resolved
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Why do you say that?

No it isn't. It's threaded.

Why do you say that?

Read my last post

Why do you say that?

Read my last post

I actually responded before I got to it.
This brings me a great deal of satisfaction seeing that it is #3 on the list of a Google search for Sauer 100 222.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11771151/Re:_Sauer_100_.222
The Sauer has a better trigger. The trigger housing on the Sauer is plastic if that bothers anyone. Both guns have their share of plastic.

I have a t3x lite (one of 6 bolt actions) and am wrestling with the idea of getting yet another bolt gun in a 100 XT classic. If the word is a sauer trigger is better than my tikka trigger, talk like this isnt helping my resistance.
Originally Posted by SCgman1

I have a t3x lite (one of 6 bolt actions) and am wrestling with the idea of getting yet another bolt gun in a 100 XT classic. If the word is a sauer trigger is better than my tikka trigger, talk like this isnt helping my resistance.

I mispoke about the trigger housing being made of plastic, it looks like aluminum. The trigger mechanism on the Mauser M18???? is a plastic housing. I may take a ride up to SW tomorrow and look at a Sauer .
Was wanting to dump a S&W Mod 15 pistol and put it on a forum and a guy wanted to trade me a Sauer 100 rifle (243) so I met him last night to look it over and I asked him to bring me the empty cases (he did not reload) and I gotta say I am really impressed with it so far.

The trigger pull is fine right out of the box and is adjustable.

The striker indent is absolute dead center on the primer.

Fired cases show less than .003" expansion on the base.

They take a Rem 700 Scope base.

Detachable box mag (5 shot) shows durable construction.

The stock is like Remington stocks, flimsy so sling cannot be used for support and it comes with swivels and they are not flimsy.

Bolt run is smooth and has 3 locking lugs.

LOP is a bit long for me but I can live with it.

It has 11 degree crown on muzzle.

They sell new for $699.00.

They are advertised is MOA rifles.

So if you spot one you might take a closer look as from what I can determine beats about everything else in the price range.

All things being considered for a hunting rifle it is a winner and has the 700 beat hands down.

They are all advertised as MOA rifles.

Barrel is cold hammer forged.

For other purposes the action appears to be a candidate for a bolt gun competition rifle once a heavier stock is obtained.

It does not have irons.

It is the first one I ever held and soon as I saw it I knew the guy was going home with the S&W. Came with a Burris Scope to boot.

Now I am looking for one in 30.06.
I have both rifles, 3006 tikka, 7m08 sauer 100 xt....and also just added a mauser m18 6.5 prc to the herd. All really fine pieces of manufacturing. All have elite triggers and barrels in the $450-$650 price range. All shoot well beyond my capabilities. The two German rifles have longer lop. All guns have reliable detachable box cycling. The German bolts are just as slick as the tikka but closing operations will require breaking-in as they may require effort to close at first.......tolerances are tight. I like em all.
I've got a question about the Tikka Superlite T3X 6.5 Creedmoors. I see on the Tikka website that they show them only with a 22.4" (569mm) barrel.
Is it only the "lite" series that come in 22.4 and 24.4" barrels? Thanks, RJ
They come with a 24" barrel on the 6.5 creed more
The SL 6.5CM I had was a 24” barrel, which I wish it had been 22”.
Originally Posted by Wesley2
The SL 6.5CM I had was a 24” barrel, which I wish it had been 22”.

This
My T3x SL in 6.5 has 24. Not a deal beaker but I wish it was 22. Been thinking of cutting it down and threaded for a can or muzzle brake in in off season
I like my 24" barreled sl creedmoor.
The sauer magazine is much better than the tikka, 5 down and flush fitting
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Big advantage to the Sauer. Externally adjustable trigger is nice as is 700 pattern for scope mounts.
Tikka Superlight
Tikka.....and the pile of bolt on stuff just keeps getting bigger.
In the Aftermarket department the Tikka is better. I personally wish they had a flush mounted magazine like the 595 and 695's .
The only thing a Tikka needs, is the tool that lets you turn the trigger screw down to around 2.5 lbs.

and ammo......
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Big advantage to the Sauer. Externally adjustable trigger is nice as is 700 pattern for scope mounts.

Just asked the local to order me one in 6.5 Corona in recognition of all the drama 😂 happening lately, I figure I won’t be able to forget when I got it that way👍
And I thought "6.5 manbund " was a hoot.....6.5 Corona, good one.
© 24hourcampfire