Home
Posted By: Fotis 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Do you consider it enough for elk in your opinion with the right bullets or not?
Posted By: Cinch Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Absolutely...seen it...
Posted By: JPipes Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Yes, easily, and especially with the right bullet.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Not again....
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Just trying to get some opinions. Personally I think it's as minimal as a 2506 in my mind and I think there are a myriad of better elk cartridges but it has been done. That said I would personally never use it for Elk.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Personally, would not be my first choice, but as always shot placement is key.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
If it was all I had, then I would use it. My choice would be a 125+ Partition, or the 127 LRX, as my bullets of choice. I would not take one, as I have two 7 mags that work great for that. The 6.5s have become my preferred caliber for all of my deer and antelope shooting. I am pretty much done hunting elk anyway.
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
DOh.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
If I’d shoot it with a .270 Win..... I’d shoot it with a Creed.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
For SA rounds the 6.5 CM is a more than capable on elk, the 7mm-08 is better still. The 308 Win with 165, 180 and 200 grain bullets is about the best low recoiling SA option available on elk at 300-400 yards. The 308 Win is a lot more cartridge than given credit for these days. Again it just kills game from small to large with minor recoil.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Them Swedes and Nordies kill a butt load of moose every year with the 6.5x55, and even a small moose is the size of an elk.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Would not think twice about it.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
On c'mon Fotis..
Posted By: prm Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
140-147 grains of copper and lead through the heart will leave a lasting impression. I doubt a couple hundredths of an inch will make much real world difference. That’s how I think about it anyway.
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
Depends on the shooter more that the cartridge.
Posted By: CWT Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
If a 22-250: well never mind.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
A 130-150 gr bullet impacting at 2000-3000 fps does the same thing regardless of whether it is fired in a 26, 27, 28, or 30 caliber rifle.
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
You need a 22-250/7-08. Forget about that Creed stuff.
Posted By: SMACK Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/14/19
I’ve watched two Bulls get smoked by a 6.5CM and a 143gr ELD-X .
Posted By: NMiller Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
How about for moose? Lol. Lots of moose fall to the .243 up here every year. There is usually about one .243 moose every year that makes the 60" club in the local paper.
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Fotis
Just trying to get some opinions. Personally I think it's as minimal as a 2506 in my mind and I think there are a myriad of better elk cartridges but it has been done. That said I would personally never use it for Elk.

It sounds like your mind is made up on the topic, it's been discussed many times, why again?

To answer the question, I've only shot one elk with the Creedmoor, but know of many others that have been taken cleanly. A 140gr Accubond went right though, did plenty of damage and exited, the cow was down in about 20 yds. I think the 6.5 worked fine and plan on using it again. That said I don't think it's the cartridge to play the "What's the cheapest bullet I can get away with" game, but with ABs, PTs, TTSX and the like I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
I've shot several with 243,6mm, 6 mmAI, 260, with what most on the fire consider varmint bullets.
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Ole Fotis - living experience through 24HC threads rather than doing....
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
I’ve used both the Creed and the .260 on several elk.
It’s all about good shot placement and a reasonable bullet.
That said, if I was hunting heavy timber for pressured elk I’d want more gun.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by GregW

And why are you here and not "doing"?
Posted By: Chrisk1977 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
My 140 grain Remington’s have it as an animal on the box
Originally Posted by gerry35

Laughing...

I've plenty of doing pard. Ask Fotis, he started the thread and 50 similar ones....
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19

Love to see what you’re “doing” Gerry.....

Greg is one of the guys on here I’d certainly not want to get into a “who’s doing what outside” contest with.... hell, I wouldn’t want to get into that contest with his wife!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
It's called a forum where people talk about stuff that is my only point. I'm not into arguing with people to be honest and am not about to get into a contest over who who is the better hunter or whatever. Why does every thread get negative here, is it even possible for a thread here to not go off the rails anymore?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19

Yeah, this reads to me like you’re not into stirring a pot at all...Laffin. 😎
I thought Fortis was asking for a scope recommendation, again...😎
Maybe a bit harsh on Fotis but after 100 threads of what scope for this, what bullet for that, etc. The point is to get out and see for yourself.

Dog said it best, anything I'd point a .270 at I'd point a Creed/.260/etc. at....
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19

That's not exactly correct. I have shot a bunch of elk. Smallest caliber was with 7mm rem mag with 150 Partition at 3150 fps. Largest was with the 378 Bee with the 300 Hornady 300 BTSP at 3100 fps now discontinued.
I'm just asking about what you guys think. This was brought on by a father wanting to get a long range elk gun for his teenage son in sportsman's warehouse where I work part time.
He said he wanted a 6.5 Creed for up to 800 yard elk shooting. Now I saw a bunch of things going wrong with this scenario but I did not say anything. He said that he has read up on it and he has seen it done a bunch of times on youtube etc.
I said yes sir and I proceeded to help them with anything they wanted.

That's not exactly correct. I have shot a bunch of elk. Smallest caliber was with 7mm rem mag with 150 Partition at 3150 fps. Largest was with the 378 Bee with the 300 Hornady 300 BTSP at 3100 fps now discontinued.
I'm just asking about what you guys think.

This was brought on by a father wanting to get a long range elk gun for his teenage son in sportsman's warehouse where I work part time.
He said he wanted a 6.5 Creed for up to 800 yard elk shooting. Now I saw a bunch of things going wrong with this scenario but I did not say anything. He said that he has read up on it and he has seen it done a bunch of times on youtube etc.

Not a chance that will turn out badly....
Maybe a bit harsh on Fotis but after 100 threads of what scope for this, what bullet for that, etc. The point is to get out and see for yourself.

Dog said it best, anything I'd point a .270 at I'd point a Creed/.260/etc. at....

Alright Greg I'll keep the posting to a minimum.

Are you telling your Sportsmans customers what you learned on the ' Fire? Grin...
Posted By: Owl Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
6.5cm for elk ?

NO, It's TOO much gun. Stick with a .25-20 and no shots under 300 yards. Anything closer and you risk damaging too much meat.

And this has to be TRUE because I saw it on the inter-web. My cousins step sisters step father, had an uncle who's best friends son
saw a guy from the next county over shoot a whitetail and it killed it deader than a door knob after waiting for 7 hours so it could bleed
out.

If it is on the internet - MUST BE TRUE !

Are you telling your Sportsmans customers what you learned on the ' Fire? Grin...

No I'm telling them what I have learned from my experiences and other people's experiences that I personally know. I was just getting a sanity check is that okay. After all this is a forum if we don't ask questions and make conversation it dies off.
Rather than starting a new thread on the subject..... maybe do a quick search?

Here’s a link to 100’s of replies to that exact same question....

6.5 Creed on Elk...... just for Fotis
Thanks J.
Here’s a quick tip on the search function too..... it sucks.

Simply go to Google, and type this in:

site:24hourcampfire.com 6.5 Creed on Elk

Or

site:24hourcampfire.com What scope for .257 Weatherby

You get the picture.....
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Hey the counter guy at the SW in Roanoke flat out told me the 6.5 Creed is not for any big game hunting. It is strictly a target round.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Hey the counter guy at the SW in Roanoke flat out told me the 6.5 Creed is not for any big game hunting. It is strictly a target round.

It's extremely rare to find an employee who does know a lot about guns and is very well-versed when you only pay 9 to 10 bucks an hour. Usually you do not get the pick of the litter. Additionally with us gun guys we're very difficult to please cuz we're so fanatical about are sport.
Posted By: shinbone Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
(to no one in particular)

There are people who still believe the Earth is flat.

https://www.tfes.org/

And, 1300 people die per day in the U.S. from cigarette smoking.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm (7th bullet point down)

Whatever.

It's extremely rare to find an employee who does know a lot about guns and is very well-versed when you only pay 9 to 10 bucks an hour. Usually you do not get the pick of the litter. Additionally with us gun guys we're very difficult to please cuz we're so fanatical about are sport.

He went all warning label on me about how weak it was on big game. I should start with a 300 win mag was his next remark. He must have read a lot of Boddington articles. I agree on the pay grade as well.
Posted By: Darryle Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Do you consider it enough for elk in your opinion with the right bullets or not?

That said I would personally never use it for Elk.

Wait, What?
Originally Posted by shinbone
(to no one in particular)

There are people who still believe the Earth is flat, too.

https://www.tfes.org/

And, 1300 people die per day from cigarette smoking.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm (7th bullet point down)

Whatever.

I have lost more people then I care to think about to cigarettes . Yeah I know they should have never started smoking, but it sure did not help that tobacco companies added nicotine to the leaf either.
Originally Posted by Darryle

Wait, What?

Confused? Here I made the key words stand out.

Wait, What?

Confused? Here I made the key words stand out.

Confused? Here I made the key words stand out:
Personally I think it's as minimal as a 2506 in my mind and I think there are a myriad of better elk cartridges but it has been done
Correct, that is my opinion.........Hence asking OTHERS THEIR opinion.
Since when is this not permitted on the fire?

I'm just asking about what you guys think.

This was brought on by a father wanting to get a long range elk gun for his teenage son in sportsman's warehouse where I work part time.

Not a chance that will turn out badly....

This screams System Rig needed.... 😎
System rigged???? I do not follow...

Either way this is just plain silly guys.

I had an opinion on the matter and I asked you for yours evidently an erroneous move on my part. I posted a question without searching past topics.
Anyway, I thank you for your opinions and I truly apologize if the post bothered, annoyed, or upset anyone. Those who know me know this was certainly not my aim. If I need drama I can officially follow "Big Stick" for this and get tons of entertainment (if that is what that is) to boot.

Anyway, please consider this thread closed on my part. Thank you.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by Bighorn
[Linked Image]

Haha 😆
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19

If you can’t trust a ‘noker, who can you trust?
I had an opinion on the matter and I asked you for yours evidently an erroneous move on my part. .

It was a loaded question from the start, the 6.5 Creed has a line, there is no straddling it, either you dislike it or you think it is the end all be all.

I have three 6.5 Creed rifles, 2 bolt and 1 AR, it has it's place and hopping around on a mountain side chasing elk is not one I would consider. I shot my last two elk with a Miller 300 Weatherby. When there are variables that you cannot control, going marginal on your caliber choice is not something a rational man would make.

Never get between a fool and his money, lord knows I have had more than one person stand by and watch me spend mine
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. The 147/Kreedmire melding has accounted rather well on Mooseses,Elkeses,Bears,Sheeps,Caribouskis and Venisons...less anyone musing a regret or a change. Belts are losing their "luster".

Hint.................
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
I had an opinion on the matter and I asked you for yours evidently an erroneous move on my part. .

It was a loaded question from the start, the 6.5 Creed has a line, there is no straddling it, either you dislike it or you think it is the end all be all.

I have three 6.5 Creed rifles, 2 bolt and 1 AR, it has it's place and hopping around on a mountain side chasing elk is not one I would consider. I shot my last two elk with a Miller 300 Weatherby. When there are variables that you cannot control, going marginal on your caliber choice is not something a rational man would make.

Ok I’ll bite. What is a Miller 300 Weatherby? What bullets does it shoot?
You are fhuqking MEAN.

David's swan Song was a 168 SMK,in said chambering.

Hint...................(grin)
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Ok I’ll bite. What is a Miller 300 Weatherby? What bullets does it shoot?

David Miller Marksman
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/15/19
Would it be as good as a 270?
In this Moment's atmosphere...my 22" Kreedmire is Supersonic to the 1500yd line ala 147 and full value 10mph wind is but a 3 Mil correction.

Reality hurts Feelers,that it takes less than 39grs of propellant,to arrange same..

Hint.................
Got purty cold.

LAUGHING!

Hint...............
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
Would it be as good as a 270?

What ain't?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Not again....

yep...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
WhoreHey!,

Start a Thread...if/when you go Outdoors.

Hint..................
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
Is it Thursday already?
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about these difficult questions. I have a 7mm-08 so I am good with anything to moose...
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about these difficult questions. I have a 7mm-08 so I am good with anything to moose...

No.....no you’re not, it can’t hang with moosies at 1,500 yards. I read on the internet that all moosies are shot beyond 1,000 yards.

I never seen one in Virginia though. Or a zoo. Maybe TV once.
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/16/19
My neighbor says he saw one, along with a mountain lion, in his backyard. He is prone to exaggerating, though.

Actually, several people claimed to have seen the mountain lion, not long after a big bobcat showed up. He was so old he had lost most of his markings. Had him at 20 yards in bow season but I wasn’t sure if the season was open on bobcats. It was. 😟
Posted By: Bearded Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/17/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
WhoreHey!,

Hint..................

JorgeI
Average of 182 posts per month

Big Stick
Average of 209 posts per month

At 30 days per month and your average of 7 posts per day, it seems like he spends approx 4 days longer every month outside than you do!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/17/19
Originally Posted by Bearded
WhoreHey!,

Hint..................

JorgeI
Average of 182 posts per month

Big Stick
Average of 209 posts per month

At 30 days per month and your average of 7 posts per day, it seems like he spends approx 4 days longer every month outside than you do!

LMAO........
Posted By: Switch Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/17/19

How true! Seems to be a race to the bottom as too how little gun you can use! I too own a 6.5 Creedmoor and love the 270 Win and have killed elk with it, but................... I now use the 338 Win. When the chips are down at the end of the day, and I have that quartering away shot I never have to ask "is the 338 enough for elk". Practice with the 6.5 then bring enough gun! Why not?
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/17/19
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. The 147/Kreedmire melding has accounted rather well on Mooseses,Elkeses,Bears,Sheeps,Caribouskis and Venisons...less anyone musing a regret or a change. Belts are losing their "luster".

Hint.................

Love ya man, but ALL wild game is venisons, not just deer. grin
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/17/19
The 6.5 Creedmoor is too small for elk.

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.
Posted By: dSmith_45 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Unless I missed the sarcasm (entirely possible)

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19

Nuts.

I know quite a few individuals that neither dislike the 6.5 CM nor think it is "the end all be all". You can put me in that camp as well.

Some people are not well informed enough to form an opinion, others are but don't come to a conclusion at either extreme. You can include me in that camp.

There is no doubt in my mind that almost every - if not every - big game animal I've taken ((antelope, mule deer and elk) would have fallen equally well to a .308 Win, or 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM. That doesn't mean I hunt with them and the only one I have is a couple of .308's. I have seen what a 6.5 CM can do on game, though, as a SIL has one.

Currently in the (very long) process of building another rifle. It will NOT be a 6.5 CM, but a 6.5 PRC is the probable choice as it is a long action. Had the 6.5 PRC not come along it would likely have been a 6,5-06 or my second 6.5-06AI.

Would I chase elk with a 6.5 CM. Yup, and not sweat the choice a bit. I've hunted them with a .44 Mag revolver, .30-30, .375 Win and .45-70 and would the 6.5 CM is a better choice than any of them IMHO.

Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by dSmith_45

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx

I am thinking (hoping?) that this was indeed sarcasm. However, one can never tell.
Posted By: Darryle Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19

I bought this rifle from a local dealer when he was getting out of the business. He used it on one safari and made me what I thought at the time was a smoking deal. At the time I think they were in the $9500 range for a complete rifle with optics and loaded ammo. No waiting many months for your turn, not saying isn't worth the wait, because it was.

I emailed the address I was given at the time to see if he had the load data for my rifle and it bounced back. I haven't heard anything from him or about him lately. The one time I did talk to him on the phone shortly after I bought the rifle, he was extremely courteous and gave me the info I was after, the load data, but I have since lost it. I have been using the Weatherby 200 gr Nosler load and it shoots better than I ever could. It's one of those rifles that if there is a once in a lifetime hunt on the radar it will be the one to go.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I am thinking (hoping?) that this was indeed sarcasm. However, one can never tell.

Pure sarcasm on that one fellas...
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
6.5 Creedmore might be too much for elk. I was talking with a guide and he related a story for a client the year before who shot a large bull with his 6.5 Creedmore. Probably a little too far for the hunters skills, the round hit way back in the paunch, barely clipping the rear of a lung on the may out. The sucker still dropped right where it was standing. They didn't learn about the poor hit till they started dressing it, breaking it down. In the middle of this a large bear comes out of nowhere and chases them off the kill. They didn't want to shoot it so they backed off. The bear starts dragging the elk and keels over dead. The guide and client are beyond confused at this point. Use the sat phone to call the possum police who many hours later send an office out., sees no bullet holes in the bear , does a half assed necropsy, again finds no holes, takes some samples and gives the guide the green light to FO.
A couple weeks later he gets a call from the state about the case, the lab results are in. Estimated 700+ lb sow griz, dead of Creedmore poisoning.

I hear California has a bill pending to ban any and all Creedmoores, they've killed more condors than lead bullets ever did.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by cas6969

I hear California has a bill pending to ban any and all Creedmoores, they've killed more condors than lead bullets ever did.

Wouldn't be the first dumbass idea coming out of California.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
California is filled with dumbass human beings from citizens, to local politicians, to state politicians, to federal politicians. They call themselves sophisticated, I say time is running out. BTW hopefully when actions and counter actions are filed they will spell “Creedmoor” correctly.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
The 6.5 Transgender is a favorite in California.
Posted By: Dre Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by Rossimp
California is filled with dumbass human beings from citizens, to local politicians, to state politicians, to federal politicians. They call themselves sophisticated, I say time is running out. BTW hopefully when actions and counter actions are filed they will spell “Creedmoor” correctly.

I would normally agree with you, but living here... there are some normal gun and freedom loving folk living here is as well. We are just out numbered by the majority of [bleep] liberals.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
More more more
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Pure sarcasm on that one fellas...

Yep sarcasm.

Except for the 6.5x55 thing. It's for sure a proven killer.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 6.5 Creed for elk? - 05/20/19
To the OP, Assuming proper placement with proper bullets at reasonable ranges should kill elk as well as anything that walks this continent. There’s very few modern day centerfire chamberings above .22 that won’t do the job if the bullet is put in a caliber appropriate spot. Even the centerfire .22’s should be enough for anything on this continent if you hit CNS on the bigger beasts. My father in-law killed several brown bear a half century ago in Alaska with the Sako L461 Vixen in .222rem mag that’s sitting in front of me. He had the luxury of cover and only shot when presented the right shot. He never had to shoot one more than once. My now deceased buddy managed a ranch and had cow elk depredation tags that allowed him to kill some in the act of depredations. He walked out on the back deck and one shot from his .17HMR anchored a full grown cow elk with a head shot.

That’s the long way of saying that any caliber has the ability to do the job but within the parameters of bullet, placement and distance. Only the man behind the rifle can set those for himself depending on what he’s carrying. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire