Home
Posted By: Quak Rough crown? - 05/20/19
I’ve got a rifle I just picked up with a crown that looks like it was cut with a chainsaw. What’s the best way to clean it up? Is there a hand cutter...seems I’ve seen them before but couldn’t swear to it.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Rough crown? - 05/20/19
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/barrel-chamfering-tool-kits/index.htm

Have heard of chucking a round head brass screw in a drill and using grinding compound, but the bubba factor seems a bit high. May be an improvement over what you have now however.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Rough crown? - 05/20/19
The round-headed brass screw and valve grinding compound actually works pretty good. Have done it a few times, and always ended up with more than satisfactory accuracy.

Just be sure you have the muzzle well-stuffed with something to protect the rifling. I always used a plug of paper towel, and pushed it out from the breech with an oiled patch.

Ted
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Rough crown? - 05/20/19
I've hacksawed a damaged muzzle off a rifle and filed the end smooth and square, with no crowning. Shoots good.

I've also tidied up a crown using some valve grinding paste and a ball bearing from an old style mouse - an alternative to the screw head method. Also works good.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Rough crown? - 05/20/19
A carbide ball burr will do a better job than a brass screw head with lapping compound. After using a brace or a power drill with low RPMs with oil, place a piece of wet and dry 400 grit sandpaper on burr to smooth out the cut.

example of what this burr looks like.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...zt4aq4gIVBdRkCh0ueAp_EAYYCSABEgINXfD_BwE
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rough crown? - 05/20/19
Originally Posted by Quak
I’ve got a rifle I just picked up with a crown that looks like it was cut with a chainsaw. What’s the best way to clean it up?
Gunsmith with a lathe..
Is there a hand cutter...seems I’ve seen them before but couldn’t swear to it.
Well, there is, sorta.. Just be aware you'll probably have to deal with chattering..
© 24hourcampfire