Home
Posted By: 30338 So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Who just sent me a pic of a 17 round target he shot at 100 yards. Lefty Tikka, 6.5 Creedmoor, speed bumps removed, no idea what scope. Target is of 139 grain scenars and think he is around 2800 fps. He can post on here once he sees this as he can't post pics. Anyway, told said friend to just load up 100 and get drops and go hunting. Thoughts?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Damn! I’d agree with that!
Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they shoot straight out of the box. I’ve never seen one not shoot better with the bumps removed, but many have shot so well I didn’t even mess with the bumps.

I still like a few platforms better, but they typically don’t do that from the start.
Damn, that’s money right there!
Posted By: 30338 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Pic of rifle here.
[Linked Image]
Just PM'd him. Told him I think he's found his load. Also told him that the 139 Scenar is never a bad choice.

I didn't use them in my 26 Nosler, thought it was a bit fast for that bullet design, but for the Creed or Swede, perfect.

DF
Posted By: RTSJ Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Couldn’t be happier out of a lightweight hunting rig. Had 17 cci200 left so loaded em all. Scrubbed the barrel real good then shot two fowlers(5/8” left) then shot the other 15 into a ragged hole. 48gr Rl 26 CCI 200 and .01 off the lands. 2824fps avg velocity. Scope is an Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15 in Talley LW. Have a pile of 6.5 bullets and a bunch of powders to play with but I’m very happy with this load for now. Not sure if I have a slow barrel or chrono is reading slow. . Factory 143 ELDX shoot avg of 2550fps and box says 2700.
Started a ladder with 130 scirocco 2’s and H4350 tonight and 1st group went 1/2 moa then ran out of daylight. Will continue the ladder next session. Thanks for posting pics Kurt!

Thanks Roy
I think that target is dead.
Missed the target center...

But I'd take the rifle. smile
I’d look at the chrony at least a little bit, but yeah, I’d agree on the go kill schit part.

Great shooting!
Posted By: AKduck Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
No complaints there.
Dayum.i dont know of any retailers around here that stock Tikkas sadly. I have never seen one.
Posted By: las Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
He overlapped 2 squres and touched a third. What the heck is wrong with him????? smile

And load a couple thousand rounds, then sell the dies.
Skinners like to do that,in multiple bore sizes and mass.

Mounts/optics rate a query,for longevity......................
Good shooting. As they say, "That dog will hunt..."
Posted By: SKane Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
He may be onto something there. laugh
Posted By: Tri70 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Very nice!! Load up an ammo can full of that pet load!
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Couldn’t be happier out of a lightweight hunting rig. Had 17 cci200 left so loaded em all. Scrubbed the barrel real good then shot two fowlers(5/8” left) then shot the other 15 into a ragged hole. 48gr Rl 26 CCI 200 and .01 off the lands. 2824fps avg velocity. Scope is an Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15 in Talley LW. Have a pile of 6.5 bullets and a bunch of powders to play with but I’m very happy with this load for now. Not sure if I have a slow barrel or chrono is reading slow. . Factory 143 ELDX shoot avg of 2550fps and box says 2700.
Started a ladder with 130 scirocco 2’s and H4350 tonight and 1st group went 1/2 moa then ran out of daylight. Will continue the ladder next session. Thanks for posting pics Kurt!

Thanks Roy

Nice shooting Roy! My LH Tikka Lite 6.5CM is a drill also. I like the paint job you gave yours. smile
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Thanks Roy

Nice shooting Roy! My LH Tikka Lite 6.5CM is a drill also. I like the paint job you gave yours. smile

Thanks! I wanted a McMillan Game Hunter but they don’t make it in a LH tikka version yet! Rattle can will have to do till then.

Roy
I'd be worried about those two fliers in the upper left....... grin
Originally Posted by smokepole

I know. He needs to start over from square one and stick to basics. Hopefully the group tightens up then.
Posted By: 16bore Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
Sikka’s tuck!
Thanks for the kind words fellas! Just picked up two more pounds of RL 26!
Posted By: Ray63 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/12/19
UUUMMM... WHAT ARE THE SPEED BUMPS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ??
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they shoot straight out of the box. I’ve never seen one not shoot better with the bumps removed, but many have shot so well I didn’t even mess with the bumps.

I still like a few platforms better, but they typically don’t do that from the start.

I had a 308 T3 that had speed bumps. I never did a thing to it and it shot ridiculously well as do all T3's. Current 30-06 T3x I am afraid to even clean it, scary accurate.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Should probably start over
Posted By: gerry35 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/13/19
Man you are making it hard not to buy a LH Tikka. Great load you have there.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/13/19
Being this dumb is hard.............. what are the speed bumps ??
Posted By: byd Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/13/19
Please enlighten me what are Tikka speed bumps.
The two little bumps at the end of the stock that apply slight upward pressure on the barrel.

In theory and in practice, they calm a thin barrel down by dampening the harmonics (or the whip) as the bullet travels down the barrel.

Some people report better accuracy by removing them and free floating the barrel (no parts touching the stock forward of the barrel shank).
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The two little bumps at the end of the stock that apply slight upward pressure on the barrel.

In theory and in practice, they calm a thin barrel down by dampening the harmonics (or the whip) as the bullet travels down the barrel.

Some people report better accuracy by removing them and free floating the barrel (no parts touching the stock forward of the barrel shank).

I have 3 T3 Lites, all with intact speed bumps. The worst is a .308 that shoots 0.8" to 1.0" at 100 yards. I'm not messing with them, but I have a question for you guys that do.

With the speed bumps removed, can you squeeze the barrel and forearm tip and produce contact? One of Mule Deer's observations is if you can get contact, more material must be removed.
Posted By: byd Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/14/19
I have 3 Tikka's and I can run a dollar between the barrel and stock but they are T3's.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/14/19
THANK YOU ON THE SPEED BUMPS. I have a guy with a Savage gun with a wimpy stock in 22-250 and it would not shoot worth a poop. I watched him shoot for a while and pulled out a business card and kept folding it and putting it between the forend and the barrel till we had good contact. MAJICK !! it went to shooting 1" groups. I am sure if he had it bedded it would shoot better than that too. The stock was hitting the barrel when he would fire the gun. Have had this happen some but usually free float is the fixer.
Originally Posted by gerry35

Don't fight it. Come toward the light...

Thanks! I wanted a McMillan Game Hunter but they don’t make it in a LH tikka version yet! Rattle can will have to do till then.

Roy

The rattle can looks good. I'm thinking about a Wildcat stock for mine, it may well end up rattlecanned similar to your factory rig... wink
Looks damn good to me. Tell your friend he did very well.
Right one, down one.

P
Posted By: RTSJ Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/14/19

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Right one, down one.

P

That’s the plan!
Nice shooting!
That should work just fine.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter

How does Melvin Forbes do it?

smile
Posted By: gerry35 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by gerry35

Don't fight it. Come toward the light...

Lol............
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: So I have this friend..... - 06/15/19
If said group was shot while wearing those ear muffs in the pic then I’m twice as impressed
Lawdwaz,
My 24" 308 Win. NULA from Melvin is fully bedded in the stock.

Bruce
Looks like it is shooting high....I'd sell it to me....
17 shots and he still couldn't hit center.

wink
© 24hourcampfire