Home
Posted By: BEN243 22 WMR rifles - 06/14/19
Thinking about picking up a 22 WMR rifle. The two that I'm interested in are the Savage Model B22 Magnum G and/or the Marlin Model XT-22MTSL. Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these rifles and what they think of them ... good or bad ? Ben
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/14/19
I would ask on rimfirecentral.com or in the rimfire section of this site long before I would ask it here. Just my 2 cents.

Well, at least we think somewhat alike. Just saw your post in rimfires.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I've had the Marlin XT-22 WMR Walnut. Super accurate and I wanted to like it. But the ergonomics just didn't work for me.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I have a savage 93 plastic stock sporter barrel. I put a rifle basix trigger in it that cost as much as the rifle. It is cheap and ugly stock is flimsy but it will shoot an enlarged hole at 50 yards. I would like to have a nicer built rifle in 22 WMR but afraid I would spend 5 times as much for one that doesn't shoot any better.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I picked up a Marlin 925 last year, they used to a dime a dozen but not anymore
Posted By: MM879 Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I would look for a Mossberg 640K Chuckster. I have one and it is my most accurate rifle.
Posted By: hanco Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I have a Marlin, great shooter
Posted By: Judman Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
Marlins are always$$$, but I run a compact/youth RAR....
Posted By: gbp Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
hk 300
Posted By: 270jrk Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I use a full size ruger American. Have been very happy with it. Pulled the blade from the trigger, made sure the fore end floated, carved the mag release lever to be flush. It’ll keep a bundle of 40 grain maxi mags under a quarter at 75 yards. After a few thousand rounds it finally got grimy enough that it left an empty case in the chamber. that’s been it’s only bobble. Has killed four coyotes and a truck bed worth of jack rabbits. It’s one of my very favorites. Wait....what was the question? Ha
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by MM879
I would look for a Mossberg 640K Chuckster. I have one and it is my most accurate rifle.

I'll be shooting mine in our bi-annual rimfire shoot here in a few hours....:
[Linked Image]

Another good one is the Ruger American rimfire. They use the good ol Ruger 10-22 magazines, that we know and love.
[Linked Image]

I like savage rifles, but I'd pick the Ruger over the B22, personally. If I were buying a savage rimfire, it would be the A22 magnum or stainless 93 with laminated wood stock.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
My first gun was a Marlin 25MN. Still have it. Can't begin to count the crows, woodchucks, foxes and pigeons that thing has killed.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
Buy whichever one feel best to you when it is in your hands.
Posted By: bmoney Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
I was on the fence about this also but I went with 17HMR. I think the new B model stock are a little bit better than the old 93 models. I did not want to chance it because flimsy stocks drive me nuts, I went with a Savage 93R17GV. It has their hardwood stock and heavy barrel, didn't need the heavy barrel but that is what it came with. It shoots awesome and feels like a rifle. I think any of the Savage wood stock 22WMR would serve you well.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/15/19
bmoney you would have to put it in reverse, and back it up to drive me crazy. I have one of the Marlin tube fed 22 Mags. It has a walnut stock and shoots where I point it. I initially used an old Lyman 16X LWBR scope and kept to long shots only. But I think I sold it for lots and put on a Redfield 3x9. Squirrels hate it. Be Well. Rusty
Posted By: SAKO270WSM Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/16/19
If you can find a Ruger 77/22 you want regret it!!!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
If you can find a Ruger 77/22 you want regret it!!!!
[Linked Image]

Have wanted one of those for years. Great looking rifles.
Posted By: william_iorg Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/18/19
I have used a Marlin model 883 as a kitchen gun for years. After doing the ball point pen spring trigger job this has been an excellent grab and shoot rifle. I prefer the 50 grain Federal load but the 37 grain green tip Remington is a good stopper too. When you step out the back door and put hair under the cross hairs a second killing shot is aceptable.

I use a 4x fine cross hair scope. When you turn on the lights at night you can see them. The fine cross hairs work well on the small picket pins.

Anyway, the Marlin is a pretty good knock about rifle.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/19/19
Had a Marlin 25MN, wish I would have kept it over the Savage 93 I do have.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/19/19
Originally Posted by Jericho
I picked up a Marlin 925 last year, they used to a dime a dozen but not anymore

probably because like mine.. it isn't for sale because its a well made rifle and is a very accurate SOB, like it was when I bought it new for $99, 39 years ago....
Posted By: old_willys Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/19/19
Just ordered a Ruger 8352 stainless in 22 WMR hoping it shoots as well as my previous American.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 8352.jpg
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/19/19
I'm down to 2, 22 mag rifles. Both leever guns. A 9422M and a 1894M.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gooserbat Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/22/19
I've shot a lot of 22 mags. It is one of my favorite rounds. My favorite is my CZ 455. Followed by a Ruger 77-22 mag. Honestly the Savage will likely be the better of the two you mentioned. The Ruger American is another good one.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 22 WMR rifles - 06/22/19
Originally Posted by old_willys
Just ordered a Ruger 8352 stainless in 22 WMR hoping it shoots as well as my previous American.
[Linked Image]

I have one of those in 17 HMR and love it.
© 24hourcampfire