Home
Posted By: Three30Eight cz 550 gas handling? - 06/15/19
How does the cz 550 standard action handle gas? Is it comparable to a k98? You don't read too much about them here
Posted By: cuznguido Re: cz 550 gas handling? - 06/16/19
If this is a serious question, I would try to answer it for you if you would tell me specifically what you want to know.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: cz 550 gas handling? - 06/16/19
They are a basic Mauser 98 design, with some differences. They have a port/hole on the right side of the action to vent. Have one on the bench for cleaning right now. Never had to find out how well they do, and would not really consider that something in a decision to buy a rifle. Having to vent gas is not a good thing and when reloading do my best not to have to test an action.
Posted By: Quak Re: cz 550 gas handling? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by cuznguido
If this is a serious question, I would try to answer it for you if you would tell me specifically what you want to know.

Im sure he just wants to know how they handle a case or primer rupture. How are they designed to vent and protect the shooter etc.

I’ll let someone smarter chime in. I think they are a straight up k98with a better safety trigger and shroud.
Posted By: BWalker Re: cz 550 gas handling? - 06/16/19
Not a straight up 98.
Originally Posted by BWalker
Not a straight up 98.

How do they differ other than the saftey and shroud? Honest question. I was told by a cz rep about 20 years ago that they were even hardened the same as the 98s. Surface hardened soft in the middle etc. which is why they tend to plum with age. There is no clip cut out or thumb cut out but and the ejection port looks stylized. The bolt release is not the same either I guess and they are double square bridged.

I have a couple but sadly I have no k98s to compare them to as far as the bolt etc.

Perhaps a full featured k98 lol
Should add the extractors interchange and they do have the third lug. I’d bet the foot print is different though but honestly that varies even on 98s
Posted By: BWalker Re: cz 550 gas handling? - 06/16/19
The CZ550 has some design elements of the 98 but just about everything is different, reciever, safety, trigger, breaching system, bottom metal and magazine system, bolt release, etc.
© 24hourcampfire