Home
I need to settle on a scope for my new 7RM (see photos in the link below) and I thought I would post a thread here rather than the goat rodeo the optics forums usually turns into for suggestions and recommendations.

Parameters I would like to fill: (if possible)

Preferably a variable power with at least a low setting of 6X in case of a closer shot. Though I am not totally opposed to a fixed power.

General purpose hunting of deer (or larger) sized game out to 500 yards for the most part and occasional target shooting to the same distance.

Decent glass and especially mechanical reliability

Good eye relief ( 3.5 inches +) Necessary to coexist with my bifocal glasses

Decent Eyebox

Either a duplex , German #4, or Mil-Dot style reticle

Keep the total rifle weight down to the 10 lb range (weighs 8.79 lbs sans a scope)

Cost low enough so that I don't have to sell my last remaining testicle to be able to afford it ( ideally $1200.00 or less)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...02255/gonew/1/yet-another-new-toy#UNREAD
I'd be inclined to think about a Nightforce SHV 3-10X42.

Good glass, utter reliability, and, speaking for myself, enough magnification for 500 yards. Eyebox and relief are good, and it can be had with an illuminated reticle, plex reticle is a choice.

One complaint, but not one to keep me from using one, is no zero stop.

I will say that I tend to use lower powers on the bottom end for woods hunting, preferring to have a wider field of view.
M8 6x42 M1

I had one on your old XCRII and it was a peach..
I just put a Leopold VR Xi-3 4.5-14x40 with the CDS redicle on my 7 mm RM. I have the same scopes on my .300 Wby and really like it.
Call Doug and get a Meopta
How about the Tract Toric with either their glass etched BDC or T-Plex Reticle? Pocket the savings.

Tract Toric 2-10x42 BDC

Tract Toric 2-10x42 T-Plex
Anybody ever fool with a Steiner scope?
A bit heavier than I would ideally want but what is the general consensus on these scopes:

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-11.html?___SID=U
I have a 3-9x42 SS, and it is a spectacular scope for the money. Chose it for a .308 over a NF NXS 2.5-10. NF is great stuff, but in side by side comparison, the SS worked better for my eyes in low light and hazy conditions. Haven’t used the 3-15, but SS scopes are known for mechanical reliability above all else. And the glass is better than the price would indicate.
I bought a vortex razor he lh 2-10x42 with the g4 bdc reticle recently. Was looking for decent lightweight glass to go on a fieldcraft. MSRP is $900+ but was for sale on amazon for under $500. So far, it appears to have good glass and eye relief and o really like the reticle. Hopefully I won’t need the great warranty!
The Leupold VX6 is almost a half pound lighter than the SWFA. I would also look at fixed 6x from Meopta and Schmidt and Bender. For hunting it would be fine but if target shooting much the higher magnification of the variable would come in handy. My 7RMs wear 6x Leupold, 2-7x and 2,5-8x topping out with a 3-10x. But these are all lighter weight rifles.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have it narrowed down to a couple and I will likely make my choice and order tomorrow afternoon.
I ordered one of these from Doug:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0136-3483-00163ecd2826?variation=1898237

Its a compromise candidate. If I don't like it on the 7RM I will shuffle it off to something else.
You may have blown it on this requirement:

Originally Posted by mathman
You may have blown it on this requirement:

Maybe a little. Its listed as a constant 3.0 inches. And it wouldn't be the first time I screwed up on a scope either. smile
The Meopta came in this afternoon. Its built like a tank. I really like the first focal plane reticle and the eye relief is plenty good even for my lousy eyesight and glasses. The glass is FANTASTIC too.

And the transaction with Cameraland was seamless as usual.
I'm glad the eye relief worked out for you.
I'm glad the eye relief worked out for you.

Me too.
The 1" tube Meopro 3-9x42 has a bunch of eye relief if you have a rifle that needs it.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
The Meopta came in this afternoon. Its built like a tank. I really like the first focal plane reticle and the eye relief is plenty good even for my lousy eyesight and glasses. The glass is FANTASTIC too.

And the transaction with Cameraland was seamless as usual.

Do you have a part number or SKU for this scope? A FFP option is exactly what I am looking for for a current build, and this might be right up my alley.
The 1" tube Meopro 3-9x42 has a bunch of eye relief if you have a rifle that needs it.

How is the glass on the Meopro? Excellent I'd bet.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

How is the glass on the Meopro? Excellent I'd bet.

It's competitive at the Conquest and VX-III level where it was marketed when it came out.
I will definitely put the Meopro on the gotta try list.
I’ve got a Vortex Razor HD LH in 2-10x42 I’d sell you cheap. Pm me if interested. I’ve got box and docs. Lifetime transferrable warranty.

+1. I like the 42mm better than the 40mm.
Got the Meopta mounted on the 7 RM. I used Burris Signature Zee rings ( steel) and the Tac rail that was on the rifle. The rig weighs 10.89 lbs all up. Not a lightweight but not crazy heavy either.
© 24hourcampfire