Home
Posted By: avfromvt Steyr Mannlicher - 06/20/19
Inherited a steyr mannlicher model m in 30-06 not bad for free. I am impressed with the weight and handling, shot a few groups and they were surprisingly well. Came with an extra plastic rotary mag and charles daily 2-7 scope. Not sure if it will make it to the deer woods as there are a bunch of other regulars in the safe. Anyone else hunt with one of these?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/20/19
No, but they are handy little rifles.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/20/19
Yep, a 6.5x55 but my bolt's on the correct side. Have taken a couple deer with it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/20/19
I do, I have a first Generation Professional chambered for 7 x 57. Since 1976 it's one of the rifles I kept when I paired down some years back. Shoots well and I have killed a lot of game with it over the years. You take yours and go shoot some deer with it.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/20/19
I do, I have a first Generation Professional chambered for 7 x 57. Since 1976 it's one of the rifles I kept when I paired down some years back. Shoots well and I have killed a lot of game with it over the years. You take yours and go shoot some deer with it.
Posted By: Steve_in_OR Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/21/19
Had one of these a long time ago, except it was left handed. Kinda wish I still had it, but it just wasn't the right rifle for the wet side of Oregon. Keep it if you can and take it hunting-just don't take in the rain. You will regret it if you do. Awesome gift-enjoy it wisely.
Steve
Posted By: Adamjp Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/21/19
I've found that good wet weather protection for blued steel and walnut rifles is to remove the metalwork from the stock and coat it liberally with cabinetmakers wax or similar. Allow to dry and buff lightly. This puts a thin but hard wax layer between the metalwork and the air, keeping water off the metal and giving you time to finish your hunt before stripping down to clean and dry.

It isn't foolproof, permanent or even something for a week hunting in a wet environment, but for days in the rain, it is good.

In humid environments I learnt to coat the metalwork under the woodline with petroleum jelly. Can make a mess, but is impervious to hot and wet conditions.

Those Steyr Mannlichers are fine quality rifles, keep it well and you won't regret using it in the field.
Posted By: Ready Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/21/19
Fantastic rifles. Use it and be not surprised, if you find yourself calling it a regular soon.
Posted By: Joe Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/21/19
I had a Luxus in 7x57 that I hunted some with but, I could not warm up to it because it didn't handle as well as my Mannlicher-Schoenauers and especially my Husqvarna 456. Accuracy was very good but, to me, it felt blocky and sluggish so it found a new home.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hunt_4646 Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/21/19
Had one with double set triggers. The set trigger was too light for hunting purposes and the regular trigger was too heavy for my preference. I did not know much about these rifles or how to work on the trigger at that time. It was great for target shooting. I ended trading it for sako. I do miss that rifle but would not hunt with double set trigger again. Beautiful rifles with great finishes.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/24/19
I'm a big Steyr fan, after my $500 Prohunter in 308 shot 1/4" groups with factory Hornady Light Magnum ammunition. I presently have Steyrs in 458, 30-06, 308 and 270.
Posted By: domit Re: Steyr Mannlicher - 06/25/19
my go to gun for long time. I hav 2 in 3006 and 1 in 9.3x62. all shoot well under an inch with factory ammo. mine are the professional mod, m with sen stocks. get a couple extra mags and be good to go.
© 24hourcampfire