Home
Posted By: Cascade Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/25/19
Howdy all! Washington's bear season is rapidly approaching, and I've got bear on my mind! Let's see those rifles you've used for bear, or would use for bear, given the opportunity:

I've shot three black bear with this 375 H&H Ruger Number One, from a mere 15 feet, to a bit over 300 yards. More than is needed for black bear, but... Why not?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a couple of bear with my 30-06 Rem 700 CDL:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Let's see your bear rifles! smile
Not a dedicated Bear Rifle but what I have used on bear.

[Linked Image]
Montana - that's a great looking bear mount! And I'm just a tad envious of the buffalo too... smile

What's your rifle? Looks purposeful.
Posted By: Judman Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

[Linked Image]

Nice buff ya big ol sumbitch!! Story? Not too interested in Africa, but there’s a few critters that horn me up, that’s one of em. Later
Posted By: Judman Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/25/19
Guy, never get tired of seeing that grizz!! 375 ain’t too big neither, it’s just right!! Grin
Great pictures fellas!
That is a really cool bear mount.
My son uses a good ol' 30-06, M 1917, with a 6x Leupold, B&C stock, and a few other updates. It's worked out really well for him on two black bear so far with the 165 gr Nosler Partition bullet:

[Linked Image]
Not a bear rifle yet per se, but I hope so one day. Just picked up a CZ550 in the 9.3x62 flavor.

[Linked Image]
Great pictures.
Originally Posted by Cascade
Montana - that's a great looking bear mount! And I'm just a tad envious of the buffalo too... smile

What's your rifle? Looks purposeful.

Those are not mine. They belong to my best friend. The Rifle is a Model 48 in 30 Nosler. I borrowed it because I didn't have a rifle with enough azz that was sighted in.
Originally Posted by Judman

[Linked Image]

Nice buff ya big ol sumbitch!! Story? Not too interested in Africa, but there’s a few critters that horn me up, that’s one of em. Later

Dagga Boys are the only thing in Africa I desire to hunt. Hopefully will get to do it one day.
Posted By: jwall Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/26/19
Cascade

I have 'possible' bear rifles. Haven't had that privilege YET !

A. Not run of the mill 700 whistle...... but 30-06 Springfield

[Linked Image]

wink
[Linked Image]

B. Tikka T3X Lite SS 7mm Rem Mag
[Linked Image]

I've searched and don't have recent pix of 2 others. Wx permitting I'll take a couple of pix tomorrow.

Jerry

ps: I deleted photos FROM photoPUKEIT and that's where they were.

Posted By: Judman Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by Judman

[Linked Image]

Dagga Boys are the only thing in Africa I desire to hunt. Hopefully will get to do it one day.

Me too. Thought you were sandbaggin for a minute!! Grin 😀
Posted By: jwall Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/26/19
First - Great Pix guys.

[quote=MontanaCreekHunter

[Linked Image]

I really like that presentation.

Jerry
None of you Bastards like my trophy 20lb Medicine Ball?
Hey j wall thats a model 6 I had one in 270. bought it in 1980. lol
Posted By: 30338 Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/26/19
So far 7mm Rem on a few, 6.5x47, 6.5-06, 30-06, 50 cal conical. This year maybe 58 cal roundball and 30-06 with 155 scenar.
My boss used his 30 nosler last month....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/26/19
Here you go guy...Ruger 1-A in 7x57

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merkel K1 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both his lower canine's were broken off. The guides said he probably would not have made it through the spring.

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: GSSP Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/27/19
Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 built by Redneck and Charlie Santoni.

[Linked Image]

Shoots the 250 Accubond pretty good too.

[Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Could he sit back any farther?
Originally Posted by GSSP
Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 built by Redneck and Charlie Santoni.

[Linked Image]

Shoots the 250 Accubond pretty good too.

[Linked Image]

Alan

Very nice! Pretty good blueprint for most any reasonable cartridge! Is that an Echols/McMillan stock?
Bear rifles? I thought all they made were bows!
I have a .223 in the safe...
Posted By: Judman Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by Rob96

[Linked Image]

Haha 🤣
I was a little confused by the heading of the thread... I didn't realize anyone had a special defined "bear rifle" ... just about any elk capable rifle will kill a bear so drag out about anything you use for larger critters and go forth and slay Yogi... I usually use my .338 just to get it out of the safe a couple more times a year, but I wouldn't feel handicapped using a 30-06, 25-06, etc... if that is what my hand landed on when reaching in the safe that day.... wink

Bob
For Colorado's black bears I figure any of my centerfires will do. For larger I've always figured my Marlin .45-70 would be close to as good as it gets.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Bear rifles? I thought all they made were bows!

Okay - ya got me there! smile

Guy
Originally Posted by Sheister
I was a little confused by the heading of the thread... I didn't realize anyone had a special defined "bear rifle" ... just about any elk capable rifle will kill a bear so drag out about anything you use for larger critters and go forth and slay Yogi... I usually use my .338 just to get it out of the safe a couple more times a year, but I wouldn't feel handicapped using a 30-06, 25-06, etc... if that is what my hand landed on when reaching in the safe that day.... wink

Bob

Shhh… wink

Yes, I agree. Just wanted to know who used what for their bear hunting. My adult sons call my 375 Number One "Dad's bear rifle" 'cause I shot three bears with it, and, aside from one unfortunate rock chuck, I haven't shot anything else with it.

But yes, pretty much any decent deer or elk rifle seems to work well on bear. From my limited experience anyway.

Guy
Lousy pic. But I didn't have a fencepost handy at the time.

A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .375 Wby with a 2-10x38 Weaver on top.

One B&C bruin on its resume. It's uckin' fugly. But it shoots QUITE acceptably well and makes big critters stop...…...……….now.

[Linked Image]
This year, I might just use the 45/70 Marlin 1895. Has a 2.5x Leupold in QD rings, and is zeroed at 100 yards with 350 gr RNSP Hornady handloads. It's a new rifle, haven't hunted with this one yet. I suspect it would be just fine for bear hunting.

[Linked Image]

Guy
Custom Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga converted to 45-70. Done by the late Roe Clark. One time Savage/Fox historian.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Custom Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga converted to 45-70. Done by the late Roe Clark. One time Savage/Fox historian.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that!
Posted By: GSSP Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/29/19
[/quote]

Very nice! Pretty good blueprint for most any reasonable cartridge! Is that an Echols/McMillan stock?[/quote]

Good eye. Yes, it is. I also have the Shrike/Remington version on my wildcat 6.5x57 BR.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alan
I've had a few dedicated brown bear rifles. I carried a 358 Norma Mag for years with perfect results, then I had a hunter with a (then brand new) 425 Express and as part of his appreciation on a great moose took my 300 WM with him and he delivered it the following spring on his way to Kodiak. A real powerhouse and I settled on Barnes X 350gr @2300fps, great cartridge, I killed a brown bear here in the middle of the night at about6' away on his hind feet. And then a friend of mine and Phil's was here and announced his Old Ugly clone was for sale,, a quick trade for a Ruger 77 in 257 Bob with 300 loaded rounds was made. I killed (follow up's and tracking wounded) 7 brown bears the farthest being about 50'.
About this time the forums erupted with 400 Whelen glee, having impulsed before I did it again,, instead of waiting for a Springfield and buying a new reamer I bought a beater Enfield and had a fellow use a worn reamer, it shot fine and I used it on 3 brown bears with the 400 Woodleigh @2150fps. I decided it needed a facelift and as a whim I ISO on AR for 411KDF dies. I hit the jackpot!! Jim Weisner contacted me with dies and a reamer,, I got all the parts and pieces to my friend and gunsmith (Andy Hawk) and this is the end result.
Boyds,Shilen,Dayton,Timney, leupold,new bottom metal,etc.

Phtobucket kicking my ass tonight!!
Maybe,,[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that!

I second that !!!
Posted By: Youper Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/30/19
I'm photo challenged, so draw upon your imagination. My proven and trusted black bear rifle is a 1969 vintage Remington 700 in 350 Rem. Mag. with a 4x33 IOR Valdada scope with a German #1 reticle. An "also ran" that I haven't taken a bear with is my Marlin 444 with a Leupold 3x30 FX-II scope. Last year I alternated between them, but didn't get a shot. I'll use both again this year.
Originally Posted by waterrat
I've had a few dedicated brown bear rifles. I carried a 358 Norma Mag for years with perfect results, then I had a hunter with a (then brand new) 425 Express and as part of his appreciation on a great moose took my 300 WM with him and he delivered it the following spring on his way to Kodiak. A real powerhouse and I settled on Barnes X 350gr @2300fps, great cartridge, I killed a brown bear here in the middle of the night at about6' away on his hind feet. And then a friend of mine and Phil's was here and announced his Old Ugly clone was for sale,, a quick trade for a Ruger 77 in 257 Bob with 300 loaded rounds was made. I killed (follow up's and tracking wounded) 7 brown bears the farthest being about 50'.
About this time the forums erupted with 400 Whelen glee, having impulsed before I did it again,, instead of waiting for a Springfield and buying a new reamer I bought a beater Enfield and had a fellow use a worn reamer, it shot fine and I used it on 3 brown bears with the 400 Woodleigh @2150fps. I decided it needed a facelift and as a whim I ISO on AR for 411KDF dies. I hit the jackpot!! Jim Weisner contacted me with dies and a reamer,, I got all the parts and pieces to my friend and gunsmith (Andy Hawk) and this is the end result.
Boyds,Shilen,Dayton,Timney, leupold,new bottom metal,etc.

Phtobucket kicking my ass tonight!!

Pretty doggone serious bear rifle! But... you do some pretty serious bear hunting too. Very cool.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 06/30/19
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen.
Neither got a shot, but both accompanied me on a bear hunt. Thinking maybe next year to give it another shot for blackbear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Only been one time I was actively trying to kill a bear (it had done some serious damage to the cabin). The rifle I took was my Remington Hepburn "carbine" in .45-90.

[Linked Image]

I have things that are probably a better choice, but that was the biggest thing I had with me. smile
My short bear rifle, a few years ago...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Youper Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 07/02/19
Tell us more buffybr. From the looks of the photo I'm guessing only FMJ RN was available back then. Where did you hit the bear? How many times?
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen.

Wow! Where was the photo taken?

Guy
Winchester Model 70 WSSM action 18 1/2" barrel to be legal in Canada....50 B&M Super Short....Cutting Edge Bullets 300 gr. Raptor 2400 fps....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BrandonGleason
Neither got a shot, but both accompanied me on a bear hunt. Thinking maybe next year to give it another shot for blackbear.

[Linked Image]

Is that an AHR CZ550? What caliber?
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

The blue tape makes it just that much more awesome. smile

Cartridge?

Congrats on a terrific bear!

Guy
Posted By: SKane Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 07/02/19
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen.

Guy

Guy – Copper River.
Originally Posted by Youper
Tell us more buffybr. From the looks of the photo I'm guessing only FMJ RN was available back then. Where did you hit the bear? How many times?

That was back in 1973. I was taking the family fishing, and spotted that bear feeding in a small clearing not far from the road. I drove a couple hundred yards past the bear, then snuck back to within about 20 yards of him. One shot with a cast lead 220 grain SWC just behind his shoulder ended our fishing trip.
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen.

Guy

Guy – Copper River.

You know, it looked familiar - I probably haven't been to that very spot, but every few years I fly to Cordova, then out to the Tsiu to fly fish the silver salmon run. So, am somewhat familiar with the Copper River area. Very cool. Nice rifle too!

Guy
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by Youper

That was back in 1973. I was taking the family fishing, and spotted that bear feeding in a small clearing not far from the road. I drove a couple hundred yards past the bear, then snuck back to within about 20 yards of him. One shot with a cast lead 220 grain SWC just behind his shoulder ended our fishing trip.

That works!

Very short rifle! smile

Guy
Originally Posted by Jwood1284

Is that an AHR CZ550? What caliber?

It is. 375H&H. I've a matching 300 win mag I'm going to send him over the winter to make its twin.
Originally Posted by Rob96

[Linked Image]

I think the brush was in the way.

Ted
I'll play, but have to admit that all my bear guns are bear virgins. Only been on one Maine bear hunt, carried the .375-06 JDJ and 9.3x62 and came home empty handed. Maybe one day....

The Stand Rifles

.358 Win
[Linked Image]

.358Win
[Linked Image]

.375 Win
[Linked Image]

.35 Whelen
[Linked Image]

.475 Linebaugh
[Linked Image]

.450 Bushmaster
[Linked Image]

.338 Federal
[Linked Image]

.375-06 JDJ
[Linked Image]

.356 Win
[Linked Image]

.444 Marlin
[Linked Image]

9.3x74R
[Linked Image]

.45-70
[Linked Image]
.325 WSM
[Linked Image]

.500 S&W & .405 Win
[Linked Image]

The Iron Sighters

.405 Win
[Linked Image]

9.3x57
[Linked Image]

.348 Win
[Linked Image]

.348 Win
[Linked Image]
The Hound Rifles

.401 Win SL
[Linked Image]

.38-55
[Linked Image]

.35 Rem
[Linked Image]

.357 Herrett
[Linked Image]

The All Arounders

8mm-06
[Linked Image]

.338-06
[Linked Image]
.350 Rem Mag
[Linked Image]

9.3x62
[Linked Image]

The Big Bear Rifles

.376 Steyr
[Linked Image]

.338 Win Mag
[Linked Image]

8mm Rem Mag
[Linked Image]

9.3x66 .370 Sako
[Linked Image]

9.3x64
[Linked Image]

.358 Norma Mag
[Linked Image]

.358 STA
[Linked Image]

First bear is a 30-06, second is a 30-378 WBY, third is 460 WBY, last is an original Winchester 1876 in 45-75, none shot in the ass...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The RAT Chronicles are fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Bless your heart.....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick

You guys are just jealous of me and my new Nerf bear gun. I am never not funny

[Linked Image]

Shrapnel,

I'm VERY "surprised" that besides being a Clueless Fhuqk,that you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...despite your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore. Congratulations?!?

Kudos to your INCREDIBLY low "standards",for swooning Dinktitide,you "lucky" kchunt.

Hint...............................
.375 Wby.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
.375 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Very nice
Originally Posted by fredIII
.375 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Very nice

+2

😎
Paws:

[Linked Image]

Later being repelled by boys:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shag Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

The blue tape makes it just that much more awesome. smile

Cartridge?

Congrats on a terrific bear!

Guy

Plus one! Including scope and sling.... Man I'll bet that hide washed out amazing! Beautiful bear!
Posted By: Shag Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 07/05/19
Good Lord! All your rifle's are damn nice!
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Holy fugg!!!
crazy laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Holy fugg!!!
crazy laugh laugh laugh

I concur.

😂🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: jwall Re: Bear Rifles? Let's see 'em! - 07/06/19
[quote=MarineHawk
375 Wby.

[Linked Image]

GORGEOUS bear. ManOMan !

Jerry
.375 Wby.

[Linked Image]

LOVE that rifle. One of those has been on my wish list for awhile. Have a set of .375 Wby dies just gathering dust so need to do something about it....
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
.375 Wby.

[Linked Image]

LOVE that rifle. One of those has been on my wish list for awhile. Have a set of .375 Wby dies just gathering dust so need to do something about it....

I can give you a ton of .375 Wby once-fired brass if you do so.

The rifle is a Mk V DGR. I got it fairly cheap on GB form an older guy who shot only a box through it and eventually gave up on going to Africa. It shoots the 260gr ABs the best, but that fatal wound wound was from one 300gr NP.
Yeah, the DGR is one of the most appealing Mark V's in the catalog to me. They now come with a tan stock, which doesn't look right to my eyes. In black, it looks like the Darth Vader of rifles!
An '86 45-70 take-down that's been shortened to a handy 20"

[Linked Image]
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, matte black duracoat gun paint, Swarovski Z5. Just ordered a Timney trigger.

Attached picture IMG_1647(1).jpg
© 24hourcampfire