Home
Posted By: SDupontJr Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
My grandfather had passed a few years back and the family was going through the long process of diving up items and they ran across his hunting things. I was the only grand kid who did anything hunting related so they passed it down to me. Never owned a auto rifle, only bolt action, so this is new. Went online and the first thing that popped up is "JAM-O-MATIC". read several things on how they constantly jam when ejecting shells and such. I hunted with my grandfather for many years and have never heard of him having problems with ejection. But anyway, I decided to break it down and give it a good cleaning. There was some dried grease and some dirt, but all in all, it wasn't bad. Put a thin layer of oil and wiped everything down. The action will cycle very strong and smooth. Its almost like the auto action on my older Rem 1100 12 ga, when it closes, its a stout feeling. There is one thing that I noticed, there is a small clip release that may be slightly bent and it hard to drop the mag. But all in all, it's in good condition and is chambered in 30-06. i'm not sure how old it, but he had it a long time. Well, I'm 467 and have lots of guns, but this one is somewhat unique. It also had a redfield 3-9 i believe (still have it) that had the somewhat rectangle objective.

I'd like to check it out and see how accurate it is at 100 yards and less. Is there anything that I need to check out or be aware of before start popping caps? He also took off the iron sights, to mount the redfield. If I can get this thing shooting somewhat decent groups at 100 yards and under, I could use this as a get brush gun and not tear up some of my high end rifles.
Posted By: las Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
Good use for it, or for pup- tent stake, dog chain stakes, propping open doors, buried corner marker on the lot line, etc....

My opinion is worth what you paid for it, and I am aware that others' may vary...... smile

My brother had one for an elk rifle before I put a custom stock on a RU77 in .270 for him. It would shoot the first round one place, then all subsequent ones 6 inches lower and off to one side. It also had a trigger pull in excess of 17 lbs (as high as my weights would go). I got the pull weight down to 6 lbs, never could fix the other problem.

I called Remington and they said " Yes, we get that problem in and sometimes a new barrel fixes it. Sometimes not. If you figure it out, give us a call, will you?"

Good luck, and happy hunting
When, not if, the guide rails get damaged the Remington 740/742 series rifles will have cycling failures.

Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, converts 740/742 series semi-automatic rifles into 760 pump guns. Some people do this when they want to keep a rifle in service that has sentimental value, like your grandfather's rifle might have for you.
Like many other autos, it puts the first round(hand cycled) to a different point of impact than those rounds automaticly cycled as the gun is fired. Site in with rounds automaticly cycled and don't unload the gun until hunting season is over. Next season repeat. Just my $ 0.02 worth.
Posted By: pullit Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
I just sold a BDL deluxe with the square forearm and basket weave checkering.
I bought it about 5 years ago because when I was a kid that was the gun to have and it brought back old time memory's.
I was surprised at it had a set of see thru mounts and a Tasco 3x9 on it that it turned in 1.25" groups at 100 yards with factory Federal ammo.
Posted By: ERK Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
Please don’t tell the millions of deer killed with these about them not working. Or the moose. They will get very upset knowing they should still be alive. Ed k
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
Contact Redneck here on the forum. He dies a lot of 742 work. Even some full colustom builds on them great guy to deal with
While it's not the best design, it'll work for hunting deer and whatnot. They were popular here in the south where we don't have long ranges to shoot besides power lines, pipe lines, and farm fields.

Keep it clean and lubricated.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/03/19
I have one in .243 Winchester. It was my father's only deer rifle. As mentioned, keep is clean and I say lightly lubricated, as I have found a heavy lubrication causes issues as it traps dirt and dust. Also, be careful with the magazines, as if the lips on them get bent they can cause issues as well. I just recently put a new trigger spring in mine, and the trigger pull is not under 4lbs. I need to get out and shoot it when I get home next month.
They were/stil are, very popular in East, Tx from the Model 740 through 7400. Probaly several Model 750s down there right now! As mentioned, the design tends to gall up or gouge up the inside of the receiver somehow. I would give Redneck ( the gunsmith) a call and see what kind of work he does, and/or suggests. Since it is an heirloom, may as well keep it running right and a long time! Hunt that thing pard! I had a bona fide "jammomatic" 30-06, but I killed everything with the first shot, so big deal, ha. The Mod 742 in 6mm Remington was the "Ne Plus Ultra" in the 70s-80s down there.
Thanks for all the quick responses. As I thought, plenty different opinions. But for its intended purpose, I bet shots won't get to 100, probably closer to 75 and under. I have my 7 mag, .308 and others for my tower stands. I just hate to put it in the safe a's a keep sake. But yall are correct, lots of animals dropped with me. No targets, just meat slaying.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
A friend has one, his doesn’t jam, at least he hasn’t complained about that.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
Growing up in South Arkansas in the 60s and 70s it seemed like everyone had a 740 or 742, mostly in 30-06. I had one and have my father's in the safe. Killed a lot of deer with both.
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Growing up in South Arkansas in the 60s and 70s it seemed like everyone had a 740 or 742, mostly in 30-06. I had one and have my father's in the safe. Killed a lot of deer with both.

I saw the same thing in Michigan and West Virginia. Dad, granddad, uncles....they all killed critters with them. To be fair, a box of ammo would last these guys 5-10 years, so they didn't wear them out.

I have fooled around with dad's 740 and it would shoot 1.25" three shot groups, then open up to over 2" as it heated up.

Remember to clean the chamber!!

405wcf
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19

Originally Posted by las
Good use for it, or for pup- tent stake, dog chain stakes, propping open doors, buried corner marker on the lot line, etc....

My opinion is worth what you paid for it, and I am aware that others' may vary...... smile

You are right.... opinions are like belly buttons ( to be polite )

Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by EIB0879

I saw the same thing in Michigan and West Virginia. Dad, granddad, uncles....they all killed critters with them. To be fair, a box of ammo would last these guys 5-10 years, so they didn't wear them out.

405wcf

In decades past I was around several 742s. NONE of them were "jam a matics".

I'm NOT a semi auto fan but have had plenty exposure to them.

Jerry
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
Like others have said keep the chamber clean and shoot it. I would suggest factory ammo only. You might be surprised how well it shoots. I had one for years and killed truckloads of hogs and deer with it. Mine never jammed once.

I sold it cheap to a buddy who wanted it. He has killed a pile of animals with it. He had some jams and I took a look at it. Cleaned it well and ran a box of factory ammo through it with no jams. Turns out he was using some "special " handloads someone made him with flat nose 170 grain 30-30 bullets. They did not feed well and they were causing the jams. Since he has gone back to factory loads he has not had any more jams.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
Two friends have them -or 740 series of some vintage. One flawless 280 ( might have been labled 7mm Express) . Other friend bought a used 30-06 but it never could cycle a full mag and asked me to look at it. Cleaned and lubed it of course but it didn't seem particularly neglected. I looked at the spent casing and saw they had some scratches across the body. I felt the feed lips on the mag and they seemed ragged underneath so I took a stone to them until they felt slicker. Then I ever so slightly spread them open a bit more. First clip after was bam bam bam bam. Loaded another and handed to my buddy. Same thing. High fives and smiles after that. No jams since as far as I am aware and I have asked a few times.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
The only one that I was ever around was a 742 in 280, and it was a jam-o-matic. But, to be fair about it, the owner was pretty rough on it, and from what I could tell, never cleaned it. I suspect it jammed more from that, than from anything else.
At one time i had 4 of them, all 30-06, down to 2 now. One is full length 742 that my father bought new in 1966 or 1967. Dad didnt shoot much so a box of Remington Corelocts lasted him a long time.
The other is a 742 carbine that I bought 40 years ago. I have always loved to shoot and have shot that rifle thousands of times and have killed eveything from bears to partridge with it. There has never been an issue with either rifle, keep them clean and well oiled. We also only use remington 180 grain round nose ammunition in them. Good luck with your rifle and enjoy it.
If they are maintained properly and shot infrequently they are fine. , I have owned 1(1985) and it was a 7400 ejector broke within 20 rounds , WALMART replaced it and then I sold it after I took it hunting. They are made for the one box a year shooter. If you want something that will hold up buy a BAR or Benelli R1 or a 760 or 7600.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
They were made for the once a year deer hunter who didn't shoot much. I bought a real early .308 carbine with the grooved forearm and mine worked fine. That 18.5" barrel was a little loud, but sure a good one for climbing into a tree stand. Remington made a special dog leg brass brush for cleaning the cambers because that and not keeping them clean were the major issues with jamming. The semi-auto fit the driven and running deer crowded woods type hunting that I experienced growing up, but things have changed at least where I hunt, so the 742 is gone. It isn't a rifle for the purest, but they fit a niche and I liked mine better that an earlier Winchester M100 carbine or dad's Browning BAR.
The one good thing about PA's "manually operated centerfire rifles only" law is it spared us here the grief of having to deal with these rifles.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
I know a couple of gunsmiths who won't work on them
I lot of what I read also was some used the damn thing like an AR, just rapid fire shooting and tearing em up. Seems like it and the browning Bar auto were made for a specific purpose, meat hunting. When I get back from atlanta, I'll try and send some rounds down range. I bet he didn't put 5 boxes through it. If he killed 1 or 2, put it up in closest.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
I had one briefly and never had any issues with mine. But they "earned" the reputation as "jam-o-matics" for a reason. Most work OK if kept clean and only used with factory loads. Handloads, even milder loads start to cause problems. They certainly aren't intended for high volume shooters.

But even if they were 100% reliable I can't think of a single reason to buy one. If someone gave me one with family history I'd keep it, but wouldn't hunt with it.
They were the junky cousin of the fine Remington 760. Very thankful we only had the 760's around here and we had a plethora of those.
A guy I know from Minnesota was out here in Wyoming antelope hunting saw our bipods and wanted an adapter to put a Harris bipod on his Remington 742. He took the rifle into a gunsmith here and the 'smith chuckled and said...Oh, you have one of those "Colorado Magnums". I never saw one brought out here to hunt goats with that didn't jamb.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/04/19
i inherited my dad`s very old Remington 740 -280 Rem. ,it doesn`t jam and its not that accurate ,but its kinda special because when i went with my Dad at 10 years old that old gun was better in my young eyes than a 30-30 i had to use in those days.
Killed my first of alotta things with one in Carbine '06,wearing a 'Cutt's.

Easy pass................(grin)
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Contact Redneck here on the forum. He dies a lot of 742 work. Even some full colustom builds on them great guy to deal with
Yeah, right... laugh laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Jericho
I know a couple of gunsmiths who won't work on them
Make that three... smile

Originally Posted by ERK
Please don’t tell the millions of deer killed with these about them not working. Or the moose. They will get very upset knowing they should still be alive. Ed k
Well, yeah, as long as that first shot kills - 'cause you won't get a second one off 90% of the time... smile

Originally Posted by JMR40
.......... they "earned" the reputation as "jam-o-matics" for a reason. Most work OK if kept clean and only used with factory loads. Handloads, even milder loads start to cause problems. They certainly aren't intended for high volume shooters.

But even if they were 100% reliable I can't think of a single reason to buy one.
Spare parts for another one? laugh laugh
If someone gave me one with family history I'd keep it, but wouldn't hunt with it.
I wouldn't accept one if it WAS given to me....
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/05/19
It'll likely work just fine for you.....until it doesn't. smile

There's no question they have indeed accounted for a lot of game.
But growing up in the upper midwest, it seemed there was always at least one guy in our hunting circle(s) that had an issue during the season with a firearm not making boom, or jamming, or xxxxxxxxx. Without exception, it was always one of those flippin' 742's. Many of them operated as single shots for the majority of the season because the headstrong users didn't want to use someone else's deer rifle or couldn't possibly hunt deer without see-through mounts (which were/are synonymous with the 742). laugh laugh
Oh Lord...those "See Through Mounts". I "watched" some of our group try them when they finally began to even mount scopes! Around the campfire, 4-5 deep in a 6-pack, tales of how "perfect" the set up was. I never once, not once, knew of anyone who ever used the advantage!. They usually just shot at and missed ( contrary to Folk Lore and themselves telling you-Texans are NOT all born Great Shots, ha!) Seems they could never keep the scope sighted in ( that meant a hit anywhere on a paper plate at 50-75 yds btw) Now, these were men 30-40 years older than me, and I was raised to respect my elders. I "tried" to help them, but they "knew it all", especially around the other old phartz. I just made sure I hunted on a different part of the lease from them. There was one old guy, a good friend/neighboring camp of my dad's camp, who used a Mod 742 6mm Remington. Iron sights only, and it never jammed that I saw or heard of. He "might" spray it with WD-40 and wipe it out of the action and drop the trigger groups, wipe it down. Never the bore. When it was "shot out" he sold it to a mutual friend who took it to a good gunsmith in Houston. He cleaned it well, got all the old fouling out of the bore and it returned to shooting 1 1/2" groups ( Remington 100gr factory corlokts) I knew this because I had shot it some myself "before" the old gent had "shot out the barrel/he was very proud of that fact! ha) I have two BILs who have used them for decades, one in .308 and another in 6mm Remington. "Maybe" there are more reliable 742s with the shorter chambered rounds. I only know that I never heard of one of "them" being a jammomatic, like the one I got from my uncle in 30-06. I knew just a bunch of 30-06 Mod 742 users who had complaints. Now, later inlife, I bought a Model Four ( a fancy Mod 7400) in .270Win and it was both a shooter (130gr) and reliable. My uncles wife ( he had been widowed at 42, remarried a few years later) Anyhow, I had left it down in Texas at my dads ( so I would always have a rifle down there when I travelled) she saw it and liked it, so sold it to her for a song. I guess its still going with her son now. I had a Mod 750 35 Whelen that was also reliable, as mentioned. So, yes, they are a gamble, but still a nice handling rifle, to me. I really only "trust" one type of semi-auto, a good Garand and an M1A. Have hunted with both and never had an issue. But neither handled like the 'svelte" Mod 742/7400/7600! ha
Sooo... I’m guessing you all would not be impressed with the old 740 that my dad bought in the ‘50s. He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

I recently recently got it out and loaded some 180RNs. Thinking it might be fun on a sounder of hogs.

No, it doesn’t have see through mounts :-)
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by southtexas
He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: las Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by SKane
He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

laugh laugh laugh

Now that is a goodun'. ! smile

"Works good until it doesn't" was the case with my brother's rifle. He probably didn't put a box of shells through it per year, either. After several years of "works good" on his northern Idaho elk hunt, it all went to hell.

I will say that when I was exploring the problem, the first shot always went the same place; subsequent shots, as stated, went elsewhere, about 6 inches away in about 3 inch patterns. Never jammed tho.

Not exactly the ideal gun for elk hunting 30 miles deep in the Middle Fork of the Salmon wilderness area.

Boy, is that nice country - I went with him, and 6 other guys once. Good times.

laugh laugh laugh

Now that's funny. Ha
If you want a really good 742 just have an engraver put "Remington 742" on the slab side of a BAR and all is good.
A brother on law gave me one years ago. Mine is a 1776-1976 Bi Centennial edition in .30-06. With 150 grain Federal SP ammo, it has been a solid performer. Many clean kills on hogs, and a few deer. I have a vintage Redfield TV scope on it.
If you live near a river with a bridge......deposit it at the bottom thereof!!
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Killed my first of alotta things with one in Carbine '06,wearing a 'Cutt's.

Easy pass................(grin)

“Wearing a Cutts”

Laughing + ++++++P
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
A brother on law gave me one years ago. Mine is a 1776-1976 Bi Centennial edition in .30-06. With 150 grain Federal SP ammo, it has been a solid performer. Many clean kills on hogs, and a few deer. I have a vintage Redfield TV scope on it.

I honestly can't get an exact # of 742s that friends & family have owned and hunted, >> less than 20 I'm sure

BUT we must have been lucky. NONE of them were problematic.

ATST I accept and believe the 'gunsmiths' here who say many of the 742s had problems.

Jerry
My very first semi auto rifle I bought when I got out of the Army, 1973, was a BAR in 7mm Remington Magnum. I was only using iron sights then and I could hold a 2-21/2: group off a rolled up quilt, laying prone, but at 75yds ( furthest I could find to shoot.) I had bought 175 corlokts factory ammo (hadn't started handloading yet) because I wanted to elk hunt with I later on. "If" I kept that rifle really, really clean, and oiled right ( I bought "real gun oil" then too but forget the name now) it would work. If it got rained on pretty hard ( it rained a lot in that past of East Texas) it would jam. I killed one big yearling with it ( he had to weight all of 75 pounds! ha) and when it hung up, I got spooked. As I mentioned, I had become OCD about reliability. I took to Oshman's in Beaumont and traded "even" for a new Marlin 1894 44 mag and a 12g, vent ribbed Mod 870 Magnum. The boss man kind of fussed at the salesman when we were signing paperwork, but I walked out with the two. I hunted the next couple season with the Marlin, but if you "leaned to the right" when work the action, even it would "hang up". Aaaagh! I went back to my Mod 94 Classic 30-30 and then got off into bowhunting. I didn't buy a "super reliable", Mod 70 ( my first bolt gun that wasn't military surplus) from a cousin until 1975. I sent off and got a Weaver 2x7 "Wide View" and found a fellow who handloaded some match ammo for me ( this was in summertime) it shot great. But I got so into bowhunting, I ended up selling it to to buy some bow equipment/arrows. That Fall I killed my first bowkill buck ( and my biggest WT down there to date!) he was a heavy 10pt (5x5) with a "button" and maybe 140 pounds on the hoof. Really big for that area! But this was in October bow season, no other bowhunters on our lease before me and my BIL! It spoiled me and I hunted hard each October, then when rifle season started I just used the Mod 94, the 742 I bought from my uncle and then began playing with the Ruger 77 280 in late 1977 for the rifle season. Texas then had a 3 deer limit ( in Liberty Co) 2 bucks and one doe ( only with a permit) But Archery started in October, ran consecutively with rifle season which was 3nd Saturday in November and ended January 3rd, or something like that. I miss those long seasons! You "might" get 9 days here, but if you hunt a CWMU ( private ranch w/a state tag) you may get 3-5. That's it.
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I honestly can't get an exact # of 742s that friends & family have owned and hunted, >> less than 20 I'm sure

BUT we must have been lucky. NONE of them were problematic.

ATST I accept and believe the 'gunsmiths' here who say many of the 742s had problems.

Jerry

Jerry,
The serious cold is likely the missing ingredient amongst your family and friends not experiencing issues. wink
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/06/19
[quote=southtexas]He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

ya i got my dad`s very old 740 and that is a good name Lightning ! funny too !
I have a 742 carbine version in .30-06 that my father bought me in 1968. Neither he nor I knew anything about rifle hunting at the time. We hunted a lot, but in west central Alabama most everyone there back then used shotguns with buckshot or maybe slugs. My father had his own hunting land, but many in that era would not allow "high powered rifles" to be used on their property. Now that I think about mounting the Weaver K-4 scope and sighting it in procedure, it is a wonder that I ever hit anything with it back then. For several years I still used a shotgun as my primary deer weapon. I still have it, managing to hang on to it through some trying times and a devastating divorce from my first marriage. I had quit hunting for a period of about 20 or so years due to relocation and no hunting opportunity. Then, I was very fortunate to get hunting opportunities again since about 1998. The old 742 has always worked for me, never a jam. Having said that, I have always well maintained it and have not put a huge amount of rounds through it. In about 2004 I replaced it as my primary hunting rifle with a classic Winchester M-70 in .30-06. Don't know what I'll end up doing with it. I hate to get rid of it because my father bought it for me. It would make a good hog gun.
That's where I'm at. It was my late grandfather's and I want to see if I can get it shooting decent. Not getting rid of it, but sure would be nice to drop something with his old rifle, "lightening" or not. Ha
TexasCity- I grew up/worked up in Liberty, co from you! When I got out of the Army, 1973, I worked for a pipeline repair company. We went all over and in that Texaco and Gulf Refinery! I left Texas in 1987 to pursue Ministry. (Live in Utah now via Oklahoma) Hang onto that old 742, Dad's are special, and anything that reminds us of them, well, its honorable. smile
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
TexasCity- I grew up/worked up in Liberty, co from you! When I got out of the Army, 1973, I worked for a pipeline repair company. We went all over and in that Texaco and Gulf Refinery! I left Texas in 1987 to pursue Ministry. (Live in Utah now via Oklahoma) Hang onto that old 742, Dad's are special, and anything that reminds us of them, well, its honorable. smile

Yep, In a previous life I have spent some time in both of those refineries. Also owned a little property in northern Liberty County. Sold it after a couple of years. I'm going to hang onto the rifle as I don't have many mementos from my father. He has been gone now since 2000. His second wife and I did not get along, unfortunately, and I got none of his things after he died. She gave his things to her family or trashed them. I cannot understand such behavior. Disgusting. But, I have many fine memories of him that she could never do away with. He loved to hunt as did his father.

I barely remember my grandfather, but many have affectionately described him to me as a "full time hunter and part time farmer". He farmed for a living, but lived to hunt. I hope that I may have gotten a little bit of that DNA. I remember well describing to my father my first hunt after me being away from it for 20 or so years and the nice buck I took with that rifle. Boy did his eyes light up! That was about two years before he died. Good memory. Yeah, I'm going to keep the rifle.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/07/19
The older 742s in 6MM and 280REM seem to bring good money if in good condition.
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/08/19

Jerry

Jerry,
The serious cold is likely the missing ingredient amongst your family and friends not experiencing issues. wink

You may very well have something right there !
Also about 1/2 of the 742s I’ve been around we’re in La. (Louisiana)

Interesting idea.

Jerry
I’ve had many of the Remington semi autos and while I hear they’re jammers I’ve yet to have one jam on me. I’ll admit that the ones I had I didn’t get too intimate with but I’m sure that it’ll work just fine for your purposes. If your grandpa didn’t have any problems and was able to put meat on the table with it I don’t see any reason you won’t do the same. Having the sentimental relationship with that rifle is more than enough reason to get many more years of use out of it. You’ll also have the privilege of recalling memories that you thought had long escaped you when you spend time carrying a well loved and well used rifle afield.

Coincidentally I bought one used at Cabelas a couple of years ago for $279. It was like brand new and in .280rem but I bought it because it had a nice Leupold on it. I took the scope off and sent it to Leupold for cleaning but they chose to send me a new scope which is what I preferred anyway. I then sold the rifle for $300 to a pawnshop so I did alright on that deal. I shot 15 rounds of 3 different types of ammo for a reliability test and it passed with flying colors. I never shot that rifle for accuracy but it was “minute of boulder” at 300 yards. 😁

Good luck and I hope you have many successful hunts and create a lot more memories with your grandpa’s old rifle. 👍
AcesNeights,

Fwiw, I got a 742 in 6mm Remington on a car-trade as "boot", gave it to my 1st cousin (who is the best meat-hunter, who I know = He always gets his deer, "BBQ pigs" & coyotes, too.) & he's only taken 18-20 deer & a truckload of feral hogs with it.

NO problem for him, obviously.

Of course, where Randy hunts, the ranges are relatively short, the land is SWAMPY & the brush is THICK. = That 6mm seems to do well for him, as it makes quarter-size 5-shot groups out to 100M, which is farther than you can usually SEE a deer on our NETX lease.
(There are areas on the lease that you cannot see beyond 20M or so.)

Btw, many of the same people who "DOWN" the 742 also call my beloved 760 rifles "JUNK", too. = I was cleaning rifles this week & I only have EIGHT 760 rifles.
(One wonders how many of "the complainers" have ever actually shot a 742 or 760 & how many are just "spreading gossip", like so much manure??)

Btw, I fell in love with the 760 rifles, when I was stationed at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA & traded for a 760 carbine in .30-06. = It's REALLY LOUD with the short tube but it digests 180 grain handloads perfectly fine & hits hard..

yours, tex
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/08/19
Originally Posted by satx78247
AcesNeights,

Fwiw, I got a 742 in 6mm Remington on a car-trade as "boot", gave it to my 1st cousin (who is the best meat-hunter, who I know = He always gets his deer, "BBQ pigs" & coyotes, too.) & he's only taken 18-20 deer & a truckload of feral hogs with it.

NO problem for him, obviously.

Of course, where Randy hunts, the ranges are relatively short, the land is SWAMPY & the brush is THICK. = That 6mm seems to do well for him, as it makes quarter-size 5-shot groups out to 100M, which is farther than you can usually SEE a deer on our NETX lease.
(There are areas on the lease that you cannot see beyond 20M or so.)

Btw, many of the same people who "DOWN" the 742 also call my beloved 760 rifles "JUNK", too. = I was cleaning rifles this week & I only have EIGHT 760 rifles.
(One wonders how many of "the complainers" have ever actually shot a 742 or 760 & how many are just "spreading gossip", like so much manure??)

Btw, I fell in love with the 760 rifles, when I was stationed at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA & traded for a 760 carbine in .30-06. = It's REALLY LOUD with the short tube but it digests 180 grain handloads perfectly fine & hits hard..

yours, tex

The 760/7600 is a very good rifle... They need very little maintenance and work well for game at short-to-medium ranges.. Only (somewhat) weak point is the crap Rem magazines.. But once the owner gets a couple of good ones, he/she should be good to go for a LONG time...
Posted By: ERK Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/08/19
I’ve never seen the Jam o matic problem either. I’ve had them and two of my brothers plus friends. Only jam ever with mine was a reload a buddy did when we were young. He was new to reloading and the first round jammed and broke the extractor. My brother came back from Nam and bought one in 06. He reloaded and shot hundreds of rounds with no problem. Ed k
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/08/19
Originally Posted by Redneck

The 760/7600 is a very good rifle.... Only (somewhat) weak point is the crap Rem magazines.. But once the owner gets a couple of good ones, he/she should be good to go for a LONG time...

Morning Redneck. I'm NOT being smart but I have a ?
I have a few Model Sixes - dressed 7600s. I (my Son) have the FIRST m Six I bought in the late 80s and some others.

[Linked Image]

What is the problem/s with their magazines?

Jerry
The few carbine length 742s the guys used in our camp were in 30-06. Those puppies were loud...and their rifles were even louder! (Get it?) smile But getting in/out of a pickup, treestand or box blind is always easier with a shorter rifle, and that's very appealing to most folks who hunt like that. Plus, shots are usually short. My neighbor in town used a Marlin 336 30-30 with a 4x scope and got his deer every year. I would go over and visit with him. he was an old retired Oilfield worker, super nice guy. His box blind was exactly 100yds from a good deer trail. Semi-open woods/palmetto.
Posted By: Switch Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/08/19
Keep the chamber clean and full length resize, my 243 has never had a problem. Terrible trigger keeps groups to 1"- 11/4". Good enough for coyotes
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19
REDUX !

[quote=Redneck]

The 760/7600 is a very good rifle.... Only (somewhat) weak point is the crap Rem magazines.. But once the owner gets a couple of good ones, he/she should be good to go for a LONG time...

Morning Redneck. I'm NOT being smart but I have a ?
I have a few Model Sixes - dressed 7600s. I (my Son) have the FIRST m Six I bought in the late 80s and some others.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19

Jerry
Pretty much everything... Again, they usually work OK in the pumps - but it's a total crapshoot to have one work right in the semis... And Rem has no problem charging $25-30 for a unit that probably cost 'em about $4.... Lotta guys around here usually have to obtain 4-6 of 'em, see which of that group work, then toss the remainders in the trash where they so RICHLY deserve to reside.. laugh laugh
I went through 3 before I could eliminate it as the "only" reason for my old 742 30-06 jams. The rifle "settled down a bit" with the then Federal "Red Box" using the Sierra 165 SBT Gameking, remember those? It "tightened up" my 100yd groups from 4-6" with Remington 150 CL to 3-4" with the Federal. Of course, that made it "minute of hog head" at 20-40 yds! smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19
I've owned a few as well as a few M7400's. IF they weren't shot much and maintained well, they're decent. It was all my family hunted with so that's what I wanted for my first rifle. I was the victim of the 742 on an easy "gimme" on a nice MN swamp runner at 40 yds. Actually, I think the fault was partially the magazine and partially mine for not making sure the round was "home."

I bought a 7400 that had to go back to Remington for a cracked gas block. It's the only rifle I've ever had to send back but it was the last semi-auto I owned until last year.

I inherited my Grandfathers M740 from my Uncle. I'd LOVE to slip on the wool and get a deer with it this season.
Sooo... I’m guessing you all would not be impressed with the old 740 that my dad bought in the ‘50s. He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

I recently recently got it out and loaded some 180RNs. Thinking it might be fun on a sounder of hogs.

No, it doesn’t have see through mounts :-)

HAHAHAHAHA

Jerry
Pretty much everything... Again, they usually work OK in the pumps - but it's a total crapshoot to have one work right in the semis... And Rem has no problem charging $25-30 for a unit that probably cost 'em about $4.... Lotta guys around here usually have to obtain 4-6 of 'em, see which of that group work, then toss the remainders in the trash where they so RICHLY deserve to reside.. laugh laugh

Holy hell I could fund my retirement selling 760/7600 magazines for what Remington asks for them now. Nearly $50 in a lot of places. I still have a few of the "all steel" mags in the package yet. I'm hanin on to those for a real rainy day emergency. laugh
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19
Rem magazines have been a joke for decades.. Lotta 'smiths have worn out many sets of straight-jaw pliers tryin' to get those feed lips in position to feed ammo with any degree of reliability... smile

$50 now? Damn.. If only one had had the foresight to buy a semi-load of 'em when they were under $15 a buncha years ago... Yowza...
Posted By: shaman Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19
To the OP:

My first deer rifle was a Rem 742, and I shot deer with it until 2004 when the chattering got so bad that it stopped operating reliably. It was used when I got it; I got over 20 years out of it. If I'd known about the chattering problem, I'd have shot it less in the off season, and I might still be using it.

If you have a 742, I'd say baby it and let it do its thing. It's a fine rifle until it stops being fine. It's almost as accurate as a 700.

The until the chattering takes its toll, I'd also be careful of the magazines. I've started out a season with 5 working mags and finished the season with only one that would stay in the rifle. I got 4 working again in the off-season. On a day-to-day basis, the magazines are the Achilles heel of the 742 and every other Remington rifle that uses the same design.
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/09/19

? Everything ? huh.

The mag for the 760/7600 AIN’T the same for the 742/7400.
The s/a Mag has the bolt stop and the pump Mag DOES NOT.

I’m not reposting my pic. There’s a 6mm Rem
2 - 270 Wins
1 - 30-06

I bought my first Model Six in the late 80s
The 6 mm in the early 90s
My Dad’s 270 , DONT know when he bought it.
The 06 I got after 2000.

I also had 760s earlier than those.

I must be one lucky sum buck......

Since the 70s, I’ve NEVER had a single solitary problem with their magazines.

As I said earlier I’m NOT a fan of the semi autos but their mags are DIFFERENT.

Jerry
Posted By: gte901m Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
I have a 742 in 30-06 that I got from my grandfather. I initially had ejection problems and found the chamber was the problem.

Buy a flexible chamber mop and keep the chamber spotless. I had to briefly run a chamber hone in mine to clean it up (barrel removed).

The internal receiver rails will get damaged by the bolt if the recoil spring gets weak and/or hot ammo is used. Brownells sells a replacement recoil spring to fit it. My old spring was an inch shorter from decades of compression.

I shoot mild handloads with medium powders: 150s with 50-52 grains IMR 4064. The gun shoots 1.5” groups.
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
Originally Posted by gte901m

My old spring was an inch shorter from decades of compression.

Now don’t you know that doesn’t happen ? smirk (sarcasm)

Well, at least some will tell you that.

Jerry
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
Jerry, I know it's a different magazine... Duh... And you definitely must be one lucky sob to get all yours to work like a charm... Congrats. Your experience is just one. Keep in mind I've seen a TON of these things over the last 21 years and I can say with absolute certainty that your experiences are a bit out of the norm.. FWIW.
Posted By: J23 Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I can attest to this.

Quality work. Honest. You won't find an easier fella to work with.
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19

? Everything ? huh.

I’m not reposting my pic. There’s a 6mm Rem
2 - 270 Wins
1 - 30-06

I bought my first Model Six in the late 80s
The 6 mm in the early 90s
My Dad’s 270 , DONT know when he bought it.
The 06 I got after 2000.

I also had 760s earlier than those.

I must be one lucky sum buck......

Jerry

I have tons of both. They're junk. They have to be cleaned constantly, they have to be messed with all the time to work, they're noisy. They're really not different except for the bolt release. They're 100% interchangeable.

Hell, I the 35 Rem specific mag doesn't even work as well in a .35 Rem as a 25-06,270, 280, 30-06, 35 W mag works in the .35 Rem.

The all steel mags are significantly better than the ones with plastic on them.
Posted By: ERK Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
I think God choses to cause certain people great grief in this world. You could give them an anvil and something would go wrong with it. I’m not picking on anybody specific so don’t get any feelers hurt. I never had magazine trouble with the pump or the semi auto remingtons. Ed k
Posted By: mathman Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
I must admit when I see a guest show up to camp with one I can't help but to think "oh boy, here we go."
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/10/19
Worked ok for James Earl Ray....
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Worked ok for James Earl Ray....

I heard that was a 760.
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by mathman
I must admit when I see a guest show up to camp with one I can't help but to think "oh boy, here we go."

grin grin
And from my experiences with same, there's a good chance the thing hadn't been fired in a calendar year. laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/11/19

grin grin
And from my experiences with same, there's a good chance the thing hadn't been fired in a calendar year. laugh

But when the pulls out the 7600, leans it in the rack, and sits back with his mouth shut...you know what’s up! grin
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by tzone
[quote=Redneck]

? Everything ? huh.

Jerry

I have tons of both. They're junk. They have to be cleaned constantly, they have to be messed with all the time to work, they're noisy. They're really not different except for the bolt release. They're 100% interchangeable.

>>**Hell, I the 35 Rem specific mag doesn't even work as well in a .35 Rem<<** as a 25-06,270, 280, 30-06, 35 W mag works in the .35 Rem.

The all steel mags are significantly better than the ones with plastic on them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry, I know it's a different magazine... Duh...

NO zone, they're NOT the same. Interchangeable does NOT mean they are the same. They fit the SAME hole.

I had a 760 in 35 Rem rechambered to 35 Whelen and had NOT ONE problem. ( used the same magazine )

Jerry
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/11/19
It's already been said...you're THAT guy that's never had an issue. Consider it lucky and hope it continues.
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/12/19

grin grin

But when the pulls out the 7600, leans it in the rack, and sits back with his mouth shut...you know what’s up! grin

Yep. If you hear a shot in that direction, you might as well grab a knife and go give him a hand.
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/12/19

grin grin

Yep. If you hear a shot in that direction, you might as well grab a knife and go give him a hand.

Exactly!
I just came into possession of my first 742 a couple of days ago.

I like older guns and I normally research the heck out of whatever I'm interested in at the time. This 742 was an exception. I had been looking online for Model 8 or 81. The day I put in a bid on this 742 I was literally minutes away from leaving for the hospital for surgery. I was browsing through the "semi-auto" section on GunBroker, looking for an 8/81. I spotted this 742 and it looked gorgeous... so I put in a bid. I knew nothing about 742s or Remington semi-autos.

After surgery I found out I won the auction. I then started to do the research I normally would have done prior to bidding. I was horrified to find out that there is such a wide range of experiences, and to learn of the issue with the rails. I then spent a lot of days wondering if I'd bought a very long paperweight.

Alas, it appears I've dodged a bullet. Not only is it every bit as gorgeous cosmetically as it appeared in the photos, but I can't see any damage to the rails at all - nothing. I've seen photos of what it should look like if damaged. There is simply nothing there. Mine happens to be a 1962 issue gun, in .280. I have to believe this thing has seen a whole lot of safe time and almost no time at the range or in the field.

I have not yet shot it. I plan to put together some loads in the coming days, get a scope on it, and give it a whirl. Knowing there is no damage, I'll limit how much it's shot and take steps to keep it clean, as well as other measures I've read about based on the experiences of others. Ultimately time at the range will let me know what I have, but I have high hopes that maybe I have a good one.
I used to have a Remington 742 carbine (18" bbl) in 308 Win. Didn't shoot it much, but it would group about 2.0 - 2.5" @100 yards. It was 100% reliable. The only reason I sold it was due to it being a true original carbine model, it was a bit more desireable. A guy at the range made me "an offer I couldn't refuse." It was in great shape, and he really wanted it. I was happy to help him out.

The reason Rem 740/742 rifles get the reputation for "jam-o-matic" is that their owners don't clean them properly.

People clean them from the muzzle with a patch, maybe a bore diameter bronze brush. THIS DOES NOT CLEAN THE CHAMBER!

The reason they jam is due to fired cases sticking to dirty chamber walls (which never get cleaned when you clean the barrel from the muzzle. The ported gas for bolt cycling doesn't have enough force to extract the fired case stuck to a dirty chamber walls, and a jam occurs.

The pump version (Rem 760 /7600) get dirty chambers too, but the shooter can apply more force with the pump's action to cycle the action to eject the fired case.

The solution? CLEAN THE CHAMBER!

Use a brass/bronze 20 gauge bore brush on a short plastic-coated cable "cleaning rod". Use a bore solvent of choice on the 20 gauge brush. Attach the cable to a variable speed drill, lock open the bolt, and insert the soaked 20 gauge bore brush into the chamber and start "drilling clean" the chamber thoroughly. Then clean with large patches to remove gunk. Lightly lube the chamber ( example Marvel Mystery Oil).

examples of a a flexible cleaning cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technology-Memory-Flex-Cleaning-Cable/dp/B00D1X00DK/ref=sr_1_32?keywords=flexible%2Bgun%2Bcleaning%2Brod&qid=1563021012&s=gateway&sr=8-32&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Thr...mp;psc=1&refRID=PQ80EW8YAGC7R0VTYNVR

You will need an adapter tip to use the larger diameter shotgun bore brush, on the smaller "rifle/pistol" size female thread on the cable.

Keep the chamber CLEAN, and lightly lubed, and you won't have jams.

Use Ballistol spray gun cleaner in the action internals. Toothbrush clean it, and respray the action. Learn how to remove the trigger group and clean that too.

Your Rem 742 is a fine rifle. Keep the chamber clean, and enjoy it. It is a fun gun to shoot.
laugh man this is fantastic. When I started this thread, I didn't imagine all of this. This is all great info and everything that I have heard off the site is true here. Some were good, some are bad. I think the statement about Louisiana hunters and the 742 or bar is correct and could be due to the terrain were in down here. Close quarter hunting with a 5 round mag = red neck with an older version of AR. I did strip it down and clean everything. Tons of part just in the trigger assembly. The one thing I didn't do is snake the barrel, it does appear to be clean, but I'm sure it has it amount of deposits in it. Oh and yes, this one had the magical "see through" mounts as well. Ole papa sure liked those things. Only problem is he took off the iron sites so I have no idea what he was trying to aim with. lol. maybe open sites with 5 round mag = let enough lead fly to drop it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/15/19
Originally Posted by buttstock
I used to have a Remington 742 carbine (18" bbl) in 308 Win. Didn't shoot it much, but it would group about 2.0 - 2.5" @100 yards. It was 100% reliable. The only reason I sold it was due to it being a true original carbine model, it was a bit more desireable. A guy at the range made me "an offer I couldn't refuse." It was in great shape, and he really wanted it. I was happy to help him out.

The reason Rem 740/742 rifles get the reputation for "jam-o-matic" is that their owners don't clean them properly.

People clean them from the muzzle with a patch, maybe a bore diameter bronze brush. THIS DOES NOT CLEAN THE CHAMBER!

The reason they jam is due to fired cases sticking to dirty chamber walls (which never get cleaned when you clean the barrel from the muzzle. The ported gas for bolt cycling doesn't have enough force to extract the fired case stuck to a dirty chamber walls, and a jam occurs.

The pump version (Rem 760 /7600) get dirty chambers too, but the shooter can apply more force with the pump's action to cycle the action to eject the fired case.

The solution? CLEAN THE CHAMBER!

Use a brass/bronze 20 gauge bore brush on a short plastic-coated cable "cleaning rod". Use a bore solvent of choice on the 20 gauge brush. Attach the cable to a variable speed drill, lock open the bolt, and insert the soaked 20 gauge bore brush into the chamber and start "drilling clean" the chamber thoroughly. Then clean with large patches to remove gunk. Lightly lube the chamber ( example Marvel Mystery Oil).

examples of a a flexible cleaning cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technology-Memory-Flex-Cleaning-Cable/dp/B00D1X00DK/ref=sr_1_32?keywords=flexible%2Bgun%2Bcleaning%2Brod&qid=1563021012&s=gateway&sr=8-32&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Thr...mp;psc=1&refRID=PQ80EW8YAGC7R0VTYNVR

You will need an adapter tip to use the larger diameter shotgun bore brush, on the smaller "rifle/pistol" size female thread on the cable.

Keep the chamber CLEAN, and lightly lubed, and you won't have jams.

Use Ballistol spray gun cleaner in the action internals. Toothbrush clean it, and respray the action. Learn how to remove the trigger group and clean that too.

Your Rem 742 is a fine rifle. Keep the chamber clean, and enjoy it. It is a fun gun to shoot.

You omitted care/inspection/cleaning the gas block, ball and properly cleaning/reaming the gas port.. Not to mention that one must remove the barrel in order to properly clean the bolt, bolt lock, and assorted plungers, springs and recesses there... 95% of owners have no clue how to do this, nor do they even wanna try - which is why 95% of these rifles fail and break.. Just sayin'.
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
laugh ...... The one thing I didn't do is snake the barrel, it does appear to be clean, but I'm sure it has it amount of deposits in it.

I will be direct.

I did not suggest using a bore snake. I made a very specific recommendation to use a bore solvent-soaked 20 GAUGE BRASS BRUSH on a plastic coated cleaning cable, attached to a variable speed drill to thoroughly clean the chamber. This will clean the chamber walls, and shoulder. A bore snake will not do this anywhere near as well.

Do not skimp on this cleaning technique. Do it the right way for maximum benefits. Bore snakes will give a half-assed cleaning job in the chamber. You want a FULL-assed chamber cleaning.
Posted By: trplem Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/16/19
Dad had one of the carbines in 30-06 from '64 to '94. It did wear the see-thru mounts as they were all the rage in MI when he bought it. I'd like to say it was a good reliable rifle, less than a 100 rounds fired during that time make that a hard claim to support, though. It was traded away for a good wood stove. Dad definitely came out ahead on that one.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
When, not if, the guide rails get damaged the Remington 740/742 series rifles will have cycling failures.

That's how they wear out. Does take a while so if the rifle was not used a lot and you use it just for hunting it may work fine for years. Take it out and shoot it and see what happens.

Extraction isn't the strongest so a gunked up chamber will cause problems. Besides the usual gunk my cousin's had a little surface rust in the chamber. Polished it with a finer grade of steel wool (00?) for him and back to working fine.
laugh ...... The one thing I didn't do is snake the barrel, it does appear to be clean, but I'm sure it has it amount of deposits in it.

I will be direct.

I did not suggest using a bore snake. I made a very specific recommendation to use a bore solvent-soaked 20 GAUGE BRASS BRUSH on a plastic coated cleaning cable, attached to a variable speed drill to thoroughly clean the chamber. This will clean the chamber walls, and shoulder. A bore snake will not do this anywhere near as well.

Do not skimp on this cleaning technique. Do it the right way for maximum benefits. Bore snakes will give a half-assed cleaning job in the chamber. You want a FULL-assed chamber cleaning.

shouldn't have said bore snake, but yes, that is the plan. I also have some Wipeout and accelerator that I'll use
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/16/19

I will be direct.

I did not suggest using a bore snake. .
Ditto +1000... Fine for shotguns, but do NOT NOT NOT use 'em on rifles...
Posted By: SKane Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/16/19
Originally Posted by trplem
It was traded away for a good wood stove. Dad definitely came out ahead on that one.

laugh laugh
Hey, even if was a mediocre wood stove, he still came out ahead.
Posted By: erich Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/16/19
I must be one of the lucky ones. I bought a 308 Win 742 BDL Deluxe in 1966 while stationed in Taiwan. I set it up with a Williams receiver sight and a couple extra mags and shot at the ROC army range and would enter in competition with their shooters. I bought the 308 as I could get all the ammo I could shoot free from the base armorer. I never had a problem with it and it was pretty accurate, we shot to 600 meters. I bought it home , put a Weaver swing away rings and a Herters1-4x20mm scope on it and gave it to my father, he killed deer for twenty years with it until it got too heavy for him to lug to the stand. I sold it to a young fellow in MN and he's most likely still killing deer with it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/16/19

I partially agree with this. Most probably don't clean the chambers properly. But there is no way in hell you have more force by had on a 7600 than you do on a semi auto.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/17/19

.......... there is no way in hell you have more force by hand on a 7600 than you do on a semi auto .
For SURE!

And when that chamber gets fouled enough due to lack of cleaning/rust removal/et al, and the owner pulls the trigger - that action is COMING BACK, RIGHT EFFING NOW! Guess what happens at times then? One of two things can occur: The extractor breaks (if you're lucky) and you get to have someone replace it (they're held in place via a very teeny rivet)... Or, (if you're NOT lucky) the extractor holds but a portion of the bolt-face recess breaks off and then you have a wall-hanger... I've had that example 2-3 times in the shop over the years.. Replaced the last bolt body I had about six years ago. I've not seen a replacement available now for some time..

The remaining parts I had on hand for those pos rifles was bagged up and sent to Numrich.. They returned a nice check and both of us win.. laugh laugh
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/17/19

.......... there is no way in hell you have more force by hand on a 7600 than you do on a semi auto .
For SURE!

And when that chamber gets fouled enough due to lack of cleaning/rust removal/et al, and the owner pulls the trigger - that action is COMING BACK, RIGHT EFFING NOW! Guess what happens at times then? One of two things can occur: The extractor breaks (if you're lucky) and you get to have someone replace it (they're held in place via a very teeny rivet)... Or, (if you're NOT lucky) the extractor holds but a portion of the bolt-face recess breaks off and then you have a wall-hanger... I've had that example 2-3 times in the shop over the years.. Replaced the last bolt body I had about six years ago. I've not seen a replacement available now for some time..

The remaining parts I had on hand for those pos rifles was bagged up and sent to Numrich.. They returned a nice check and both of us win.. laugh laugh

Remington Arms, the garbage that keeps on giving...more garbage..
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/17/19

I will be direct.

The last thing I'd clean a rifle with would be a bore snake.
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/17/19
Originally Posted by trplem
It was traded away for a good wood stove. Dad definitely came out ahead on that one.

laugh laugh
Hey, even if was a mediocre wood stove, he still came out ahead.

laugh
Posted By: Daveman Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/18/19
I must have hit the 742 lottery. Mine is accurate and has never jammed. Every deer that I've sighted onto has ended up in my freezer. As long as the rifle is kept clean, including the chamber, jams have been nonexistent. Not sure I would trade any of my bolt actions for it, but so far, so good (over 20 years of intermittent use).
Posted By: jwall Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/18/19
Daveman

Some are simply Remington haters....... like I'm a Dodge hater. (make that Chrysler/Dodge) For those that don't know FIAT owns C/D.

Personally I've had 43 + years of RELIABLE service from Remington products. I have and have had 700s, 760s, Sixes, 870s etc.

NOT ONE single solitary problem with ANY of them.

Remember - Opinions are like Butt holes ! And we have a few of those round here.

Jerry
Correction

46 + years.

Jerry
Posted By: Youper Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/18/19
Daveman

Some are simply Remington haters....... like I'm a Dodge hater. (make that Chrysler/Dodge) For those that don't know FIAT owns C/D.

Personally I've had 43 + years of RELIABLE service from Remington products. I have and have had 700s, 760s, Sixes, 870s etc.

Remember - Opinions are like Butt holes ! And we have a few of those round here.

Jerry

Mopar or no car! But then I'd never own a Remington autoloader. YMMV.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/18/19
Daveman

Jerry
laugh laugh

FWIW, Jerry, I'm really not one of those "Rem haters"... I actually have three myself (two M700s and a 541T) - and they all work just fine.. And quite frankly, the M870 pump shotgun is still one of the most reliable shotguns out there.. But I don't own a Rem 740/742/7400/750.. Over the last 21+ years of working on them and seeing the multitude of issues these things suffer, it's just not worth messing with 'em.. Even the LGS, about four years ago when the Remington rep stopped in, told him to take every singe 750 he had left in stock with him and never bring 'em back.. A friend of mine bought a new one.. He could never get it to feed right. Sent it (twice) to Remington under warranty to get fixed. They would send it back and, naturally, it wouldn't feed. Magazines? Oh yeah... He finally got hold of the big shot at Rem who told him to send it back and he would make sure every penny was refunded... And he did..

These are facts - NOT opinions... Take it to the bank.

Guess what the friend bought (after getting my advice)? Browning Shorttrac.. Problems solved..

Best wishes.... smile
Redneck -- UNDERSTOOD.

Note my list of Remington rifles and shotguns that I've owned/used.

NOT ONE single solitary problem with ANY of them. ** I edited this to 46 + years. **

I bought an 870 brand new in 1973 and I really used it almost exclusively for shotgun purposes. I still have it and it shows its use character but still looks pretty good except for bluing wear on the receiver.

The 740 series of autoloaders is NOT on the list either.
Technically, I owned one 742 BRIEFLY. I bought it at a steal and SOLD it before ever shooting it.

I never liked the weight of the semi autos.

My post was more general than specific per 740, 742, 7400 s.

I've been a member here since 2010 and the Remington 'haters' are in the minority but they ARE here.

Thanks for your update.

Jerry
Posted By: Redneck Re: Any Remington 742 owners? - 07/18/19
Redneck -- UNDERSTOOD.

Note my list of Remington rifles and shotguns that I've owned/used.

NOT ONE single solitary problem with ANY of them. ** I edited this to 46 + years. **

I bought an 870 brand new in 1973 and I really used it almost exclusively for shotgun purposes. I still have it and it shows its use character but still looks pretty good except for bluing wear on the receiver.

The 740 series of autoloaders is NOT on the list either.
Technically, I owned one 742 BRIEFLY. I bought it at a steal and SOLD it before ever shooting it.

I never liked the weight of the semi autos.

My post was more general than specific per 740, 742, 7400 s.

I've been a member here since 2010 and the Remington 'haters' are in the minority but they ARE here.

Thanks for your update.

Jerry
You're welcome... smile

And I just recalled I own another Rem (GASP!) laugh An 11-87 I bought cheap from the LGS.. Works perfectly.. Oh, and to add a bit - the Rem auto-loading shotguns are actually quite good too.. I think the M1100 has been in production for about what, 60+ years??? They're like Timex watches - take a licking and keep on ticking..

Hard to beat 'em..
© 24hourcampfire