Home
Posted By: woodson 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/22/19
Always have been a fan of the Remington MR foot print. I see that Remington now has a stainless MR, 1:8 twisted in 6.5 CM?

Anyone have experience with these? Throated to load 147s? How do they shoot?

At least for me, this looks to check a fair amount of boxes.
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I'm just not sure why these days folks would buy that rifle over a Tikka SL or Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed these days....
Posted By: SAKO270WSM Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by GregW
I'm just not sure why these days folks would buy that rifle over a Tikka SL or Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed these days....

The Tikka SL should be the go to for this. Probably the best value per dollar on the market today.
Posted By: Sendero Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I’ve owned 3 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Remington in 5R
Tikka CTR
Barrett Fieldcraft

A friend still has the Tikka and I still have the Barrett. We dumped the Remington.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
It's not popular to like Remington on this forum, but I love the Remington Mountain Rifle. It fits me well.
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
What does "fit you well" mean? Just curious...

I have 2 rifles on 700 actions ..
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19

I gave AWAY 2 rifles on 700 actions ..

Fixed...grin...
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19

Yep...
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I want a stainless 6.5 Creed, and can't make up my mind as to which one to buy. I'd been kicking around the idea of either a 700 Mountain Rifle, or one of the new stainless Model 7's in 6.5. My concern is how well these lightweight rifles will shoot. I had a Mountain Rifle in 7-08, and it fit me very nicely, and I liked the feel of it, however, it did not shoot as well as I'd liked. I have a matte finish 700 SPS in 6.5 CM and it's a good shooter, but that's a 24 inch barrel that's a little heavier than what you'll find on a 700 MR or the Model 7.

I've got an opportunity to buy a Tikka stainless in 6.5, and I know all about their reputation, and lot's of people like them, but I'm a dyed in the wool fan of the 700 and 7 rifles, and it's going to take a lot for me to change that. Mountain Rifle's are nice, and I doubt I'm going to be doing any long range shooting, but I know that the one I had in 7-08 was not as accurate as I'd liked at 300 yards.

I really wish Remington would make the SPS in stainless 6.5, and I can't really understand why they haven't. That would be the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19

I have 2 rifles on 700 actions ..

When I shoulder it, it just feels natural. The slim forend, the weight distribution, the size and shape of the wrist.
Posted By: tzone Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19

Because the fit of the tikka sucks and it's 1/3 the cost of the Fieldcraft.
Posted By: tzone Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It's not popular to like Remington on this forum, but I love the Remington Mountain Rifle. It fits me well.

Me as well. I've not had a new one in some time. But I've had a bunch. The one I have now is an older .308 Win. I've had a few in .280 as well, both DM versions.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I'm a fan of both the Model Seven and the Mountain rifle.
Posted By: woodson Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I get that the fire loves their Tikkas but that wasn’t my question.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by woodson
I get that the fire loves their Tikkas but that wasn’t my question.

I’d say to get it. Ain’t nothing to change the trigger out and swap the stock if you hate them.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
Not factory, but a Rem 700, 6.5 CM in McWoody Mtn. Rifle stock with NF 3-10 SHV, Timney 510 trigger, Shilen SS barrel.

Sub half inch shooter. I agree with the Mtn Rifle profile. I like the slim grip and profile. To me, it's about optimal.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodson Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I have been gunning a 1-8” #2 rock 243 win in a McMillan MR Edge. Perfect compromise for my uses. When this barrel goes it will be replaced with a Rock #2 6.5 CM.

I was just curious what the Fire’s experience was with the factory MR in 6.5 shooting high BC bullets.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/23/19
I can think of 2 reasons.
You can buy a TriggerTech trigger assembly and install it yourself in less than 1/2 hour and they are a fine trigger.

Almost every after market accessory, stocks, etc are made to fit a m700.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I want a stainless 6.5 Creed, and can't make up my mind as to which one to buy. I'd been kicking around the idea of either a 700 Mountain Rifle, or one of the new stainless Model 7's in 6.5. My concern is how well these lightweight rifles will shoot. I had a Mountain Rifle in 7-08, and it fit me very nicely, and I liked the feel of it, however, it did not shoot as well as I'd liked. I have a matte finish 700 SPS in 6.5 CM and it's a good shooter, but that's a 24 inch barrel that's a little heavier than what you'll find on a 700 MR or the Model 7.

I've got an opportunity to buy a Tikka stainless in 6.5, and I know all about their reputation, and lot's of people like them, but I'm a dyed in the wool fan of the 700 and 7 rifles, and it's going to take a lot for me to change that. Mountain Rifle's are nice, and I doubt I'm going to be doing any long range shooting, but I know that the one I had in 7-08 was not as accurate as I'd liked at 300 yards.

I really wish Remington would make the SPS in stainless 6.5, and I can't really understand why they haven't. That would be the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

I was a die hard Remington fan too until I took a chance on a (had not handled one ) Fieldcraft. Surely they will discount them again this year.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...ts/model-70-featherweight-stainless.html

Just a thought
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Not factory, but a Rem 700, 6.5 CM in McWoody Mtn. Rifle stock with NF 3-10 SHV, Timney 510 trigger, Shilen SS barrel.

Sub half inch shooter. I agree with the Mtn Rifle profile. I like the slim grip and profile. To me, it's about optimal.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In my estimation, Remington hit it out of the park with the mountain rifle stock.
Posted By: Mac1978 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Three pages of dribble, and not an ounce of insight to the original question. Nice use of bandwidth.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by Mac1978
Three pages of dribble, and not an ounce of insight to the original question. Nice use of bandwidth.

Holy sheeeit! Look who made it out of the classifieds forum!
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19

Since your counting that would be two pages. Btw what did YOU contribute?.... is that crickets I hear?
No, but I got you low processors fired up, and that makes me happy.
You should be part of a solution not the problem. Keep up the positive attitude mac.
And the only reason I’m out of the classifieds is that someone sent me a pm to look at these geniuses running pointlessly in circles. It’s painful. Carry on
You must be duncle baby sticks illegitimate baby. The inbreeding continues, nice. Lol
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
I’m thinking the reason there’s so much wasted bandwidth.... is because nobody actually owns one of these rigs, and for good reason.

I see absolutely no reason to go Rem. Mtn. Rifle in any caliber anymore.... the Tikka flat KILLS that platform. Better barrel, better trigger, better milk jug, better accuracy, way easier to shoot, 2.95” Mag, equal (or lighter) weight, bolt won’t snap off, etc.

I’d wrap 3 “mountain rifles” around trees clawing my way to a Tikka SL in 6.5 Creed....
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Not the thread for logic Dog...

I'm fact it never is on 24HC anymore...
Posted By: Higginez Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
^^^^^ That in spades!

I've got a 700 1-8" .260 take off sporter contour that shoots 147's really good in a McM Hunter (Edge fill) and if I was building today, it'd be a 6.5 Creedbro Tikka in the same stock.

If you want a REAL Mountain Rifle in 6.5 CM just buy a Kimber Adirondack . Mine shoots lights out with the Hornady Precision Hunter Factory Loads.
And is light as a feather.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/adirondack
Posted By: Dre Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Went to sportsman’s warehouse yesterday with my boy.
Asked if they have their run of tikka t3x 6.5 super lite.
That Was a Mistake... as it fallowed me home
I really like the 7-08, But I have a 270 and 06, and felt it was too much over lap.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’m thinking the reason there’s so much wasted bandwidth.... is because nobody actually owns one of these rigs, and for good reason.

I see absolutely no reason to go Rem. Mtn. Rifle in any caliber anymore.... the Tikka flat KILLS that platform. Better barrel, better trigger, better milk jug, better accuracy, way easier to shoot, 2.95” Mag, equal (or lighter) weight, bolt won’t snap off, etc.

I’d wrap 3 “mountain rifles” around trees clawing my way to a Tikka SL in 6.5 Creed....

Dog has a way with prose and analogies. No one compares to Dogisms. 😎
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19

Hope he is a long, slow thinker ... wink
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Having had both, the 700 Mountain Rifle is a better platform than the Tikka. The factory stock is better, and while the Tikka get's the nod for the best trigger because the new X-Mark Pro triggers suck, and more importantly, the Remington is all metal, not part plastic as is the Tikka.

Now, as far as accuracy goes, that will of course vary from rifle to rifle, and Tikkas are known for their out of the box accuracy. The 700 MR that I had was in 7-08, and I used the bullets and powder I had on hand, so my experience with it was somewhat limited. I was not overwhelmed by how good it shot, but to be fair, I didn't shoot it very much, either. I'm sure I could have worked up some loads that would have sot well.

It all depends on what one likes, as either is a good choice.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I was a die hard Remington fan too until I took a chance on a (had not handled one ) Fieldcraft. Surely they will discount them again this year.

I handled a Fieldcraft at Whitakers yesterday, and it is a nice rifle.....but, I'm just not in to rifles that are the ADL style as the Fieldcrafts are. Call me old fashioned, but I like being able to unload one by dumping them out the bottom, not by having to cycle the bolt on every round. Other than that, the Barrett would be a fine choice.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Cycling the bolt on each round could imply that you are chambering each round and then ejecting it. This is more inconvenient than bumping each round out of the magazine with the bolt nose and letting it fall into your hand. It doesn't take much to get proficient at that. I just wanted to clear that up, so someone doesn't learn to chamber each round while unloading, that's certainly more dangerous.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by tzone

How exactly does the Tikka suck? My expiereance with newer Remingtons isnt exactly confidence inspiring. I hate to say it,as I had good luck with them for years, but the latest ones are pure garbage.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
If you want a REAL Mountain Rifle in 6.5 CM just buy a Kimber Adirondack . Mine shoots lights out with the Hornady Precision Hunter Factory Loads.
And is light as a feather.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/adirondack

And play Kimber roulette? No thanks.

Light weight rifles are more difficult for the average guy to shoot no doubt.
However, once you get the bedding right, the trigger adjusted or replaced and you practice the said rifle a bit they can be made to shoot ok.

Light weight rifles are more difficult for the average guy to shoot no doubt.
However, once you get the bedding right, the trigger adjusted or replaced and you practice the said rifle a bit they can be made to shoot ok.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Hope he is a long, slow thinker ... wink

I sure a M70 EW in 6.5 would be a fine rifle. However, Inhave never seen one and its it wouldnt really be a LW rig.
Originally Posted by BWalker
I sure a M70 EW in 6.5 would be a fine rifle. However, Inhave never seen one and its it wouldnt really be a LW rig.

No one has. “Introduced” at SHOT 2018 but yet to hit shelves ... not for the impatient!
Originally Posted by tzone

How is it “1/3 the cost” of a Fieldcraft? Cheapest 6.5 SS MR I find is right at $800; cheapest 6.5 FC is $1500.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Just don't admit you put a "Leupy" on that "Remmy" or you will live to regret it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/24/19
I’ve been very happy with my laminated stock, stainless Mountain Rifle in 30/06 and have shot all my elk with it. Lots of folks say the laminated stock is too heavy but on the MR’s they are worked down to a pretty slender profile, much lighter that the run of the mill Remington laminated stock. IIRC mine goes about 7 3/4 lbs with a 3.5-10X Leupold installed, loaded and with an old Remington sling. If you like the way it feels go for it.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/25/19
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I’ve been very happy with my laminated stock, stainless Mountain Rifle in 30/06 and have shot all my elk with it. Lots of folks say the laminated stock is too heavy but on the MR’s they are worked down to a pretty slender profile, much lighter that the run of the mill Remington laminated stock. IIRC mine goes about 7 3/4 lbs with a 3.5-10X Leupold installed, loaded and with an old Remington sling. If you like the way it feels go for it.

Not a light weight by any standards, but its probably about perfect for a general purpose rifle.
Posted By: Mac1978 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
5 pages of posts, and not one of you morons has even touched on the original posters question.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
Mac, please regale us with your vast experience ...
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
The fact that no one CAN answer the question... speaks volumes about the rifle in question....
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
I bet it’s those “Real Gunsmiths” like Selsby driving down the sales...
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
I already stated earlier in this thread I'm a fan of both the Model Seven and 700 Mountain rifles. You won't go wrong with either. As already pointed out you will likely have to address a couple small things but for the difference in money I'll take the Remmy over the others. On a side note Mac87 sounds like Sticks little $hit stirring mouth piece. He didn't ad one thing of value to you original questions. Miserable little man he must be.
Posted By: 805 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by joshf303

😆😆😆
Posted By: Mac1978 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/29/19

I just did. Carry on
Posted By: fredIII Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/30/19

I just did. Carry on

Natalie needs to hold a pillow over your head while you are sleeping. 😉
Posted By: Dre Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/30/19
I don’t know much about the models mentioned but I was kind of in the market for a 6.5 mountain rifle.
Originally I wanted the kimber hunter at 5.5lb. And price is right too.
But, Ended up with tikka super lite as I have had great luck with tikkas. Also, I like to have trigger time at the range and felt the kimber might get too hot too fast
Posted By: BearMetal Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/30/19
And the only reason I’m out of the classifieds is that someone sent me a pm to look at these geniuses running pointlessly in circles. It’s painful. Carry on

We can’t all be regional airline pilots.
Posted By: Jpterry Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Call Woody at Accurate Ordnance and have him build you a 6.5CM Stalker. Most accurate rifle I own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Where the other 2? grin
Nice shooting.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19

The Real Gunsmith is a genius who obviously knows his stuff!!!

Maybe not how to spec a reamer, but, other stuff anyways....

Posted By: kingston Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Damn! I hear nothing but good things about AO. Beaver10 is a big fan. They’ve done some fantastic work for him.
Posted By: kingston Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Higbean

Who? LOL
Posted By: Higginez Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
I called him the other day to ask if he had a 6.5 PRC reamer.

After talking with him, I ordered a .257 Roberts.

Hope it'll feed good in AICS mags...
Posted By: Jpterry Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Where the other 2? grin
Nice shooting.

Ha...I hear ya. It was on a lead sled and 16X scope but was also factory ammo. Never even bothered to work up handloads with it. AO are great guys, they are working on a 280ai for me right now. Can't wait to see how it performs.
Originally Posted by kingston

Who? LOL

THE R E A L one!
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
I called him the other day to ask if he had a 6.5 PRC reamer.

After talking with him, I ordered a .257 Roberts.

Hope it'll feed good in AICS mags...

Hornady 117gr Interlock Round Noses FTW!!!
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Jpterry
Call Woody at Accurate Ordnance and have him build you a 6.5CM Stalker. Most accurate rifle I own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's about perfection. Looks to be a #4ish contour?
And if it'll shoot an SII like that, it'll shoot anything.

Posted By: Calvin Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 07/31/19
For a mountain rifle I like the 6.5 CM with a heavier 30mm scope and 147s. I dial it down to 129s for the wife.
Posted By: Jpterry Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Jpterry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's about perfection. Looks to be a #4ish contour?
And if it'll shoot an SII like that, it'll shoot anything.

Yes sir, good eye. #4 contour Rock Creek 1:8 twist
Posted By: 280shooter Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 08/04/19

I think Ali would have beat Tyson.
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5 CM mountain rifle? - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by 280shooter

I think Ali would have beat Tyson.

No way...
© 24hourcampfire