Home

It's on a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight.
This one wears factory sights including the front sight hood.

# G16260xx

What can you tell me about this rifle.?

I'm also wondering if there is somewhat of a consensus as to what runs well on that platform, as to load data.?

Either way, I'm interested in running TTSX's from 130gr to 168gr and rolling with whichever one of those stacks.

How is expansion with that range of TTSX's out to 350 yards.?

Thanks.!
I’ve got a light weight and 56 gr of 4350 and a 165 gr interlock is a death ray on deer
I have had many Win 70's in 30-06. My pet load is 55 grains of IMR 4350, CCI-200 Primer, Winchester brass, and 180 grain Nosler Partition.
I wouldn’t complicate it, just shoot the 150 TTSX.

That should be a really nice rifle.
Congratulations. You now have what I consider the ideal, all-around elk chambering. I'm not a Barnes fan, but I'd go 168. It'll work on everything inside 500 yards.
Factory loaded 168 grain Barnes TTSX in .30/06 worked well for me on last years African PG hunt.
52 grains of IMR4064 with cup and core 150 grain bullets has been a reference standard for many years. Work up toward that with the TTSX and I bet you hit paydirt pretty easily.
I generally use a .308, but can't seem to go without having a .30-06 around.

Two are pure Military rifles, a Garand and an 03A3, the third started out as a "parts I had laying around" rifle, but I did upgrade the barrel and stock.

Savage 110. I've not blooded this one yet.

[Linked Image]

M1 Garand, '53 IHC "Arrowhead"

[Linked Image]

Remington 03A3

[Linked Image]

56-57gr of H4350 and a 180 partition is usually money in the 06.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
56-57gr of H4350 and a 180 partition is usually money in the 06.

Bingo. For cheap practice, you can buy the winchester power points and load them with the same recipe and use the same seater die, set to the same setting and get excellent results as well. BTDT so many times with my 30-06 rifles:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I’ve got a light weight and 56 gr of 4350 and a 165 gr interlock is a death ray on deer

Yep, that is the load I used for a long time. I found if you load them to 3.210" OAL, they have worked in every 30-06 I've tried them in. It's not a super fast load, but it's always consistently accurate and easy to shoot.
I have four, I shoot the 150 TTSX out of the hunting rifles, 150 gamekiings out of the Garland. I use IMR 4350 in the hunting rifles. You can’t beat a 30-06

I need a supervisor

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Brad
Congratulations. You now have what I consider the ideal, all-around elk chambering. I'm not a Barnes fan, but I'd go 168. It'll work on everything inside 500 yards.

Thank you Brad (and all of you others who've added and contributed)

I really like this rifle and can't wait till this weekend to wring it out.

Great responses all.!
TTSX 168 gr and H4350. Good for everything!
Good choice. IMO about as versatile as it gets. 60 gr. of W760 & a Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip used to give me good accuracy at right around 3,000 fps with a 24" barrel Model 70. As I got older I wanted a lighter more compact rifle so cut two inches off the barrel, put a Bansner stock on it and went to a lighter load. 50 gr of IMR 4064 with a 150 gr Pro Hunter is an easy shooter with good accuracy and less recoil and muzzle blast at 2800 fps. The same rifle is also very accurate with 180gr and 125gr bullets.
I have had a pile of 30-06's over the years. The most consistent combination for me, in several rifles, has been a 168 TTSX with H4350. My last two 30-06's have both preferred 57.5 grains and gave 2900 and 2935 fps, respectively. Lapua brass is fantastic in the 30-06, BTW.
Down to three .30-06. That's enough. smile
Your rifle was made in 1984

Oh, and I like 52.0gr IMR 4064 with a 150 Partition.
a 3006 is so good it is the only round I have 2 guns for. both steyrs mod m
Those 1980's Winchester 70's are under rated and often undervalued. I often see them sold at good prices. Nothing wrong with 30-06, I've used one more than all others combined going back to the 1970's. Today I'm more likely to carry a 308, I can duplicate the performance of most of the suggested loads above with a lighter trimmer rifle. But the potential is there to beat 308 performance with the better 30-06 loads. Can't deny the versatility.
Sig line!
Originally Posted by JMR40
Those 1980's Winchester 70's are under rated and often undervalued. I often see them sold at good prices. Nothing wrong with 30-06, I've used one more than all others combined going back to the 1970's. Today I'm more likely to carry a 308, I can duplicate the performance of most of the suggested loads above with a lighter trimmer rifle. But the potential is there to beat 308 performance with the better 30-06 loads. Can't deny the versatility.

Local fella had a ‘06 670 for $300, glad I stopped buying stuff.
Just have one 30-06 in a 7600.

Also have a couple 308s and a 300H&H. Could sell them all and stick with the '06 and be no further behind.
Originally Posted by 16bore

I got a 670 .30-06 for sale for $600, but it wears a Winlite stock and a Burris FFII 3-9X40 LRS. Does that make your knees a little weak?
Have two 30-06's, and one 300H&H. For what ever nonsensical reason, never warmed up to a .30-06. Would gladly sell both .30-06's and keep the 300H&H.
I’m not a ballistics nut but have killed quite a few deer with the 06 at 350 -400 yards with the same hold over I’ve used in the same location with a 270 and can tell you at that distance the 06 has the knock down authority
Try some reduced recoil 125's It puts the fun back in shooting.
Load yourself some 165 grain Game Kings over some IMR-4350. I bet you will be quite happy.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by 16bore

I got a 670 .30-06 for sale for $600, but it wears a Winlite stock and a Burris FFII 3-9X40 LRS. Does that make your knees a little weak?

It would have if a fine ‘fire member hadn’t sold me his stock....he he

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 358wsm

# G16260xx

I'm also wondering if there is somewhat of a consensus as to what runs well on that platform, as to load data.?

Either way, I'm interested in running TTSX's from 130gr to 168gr and rolling with whichever one of those stacks.

Thanks.!

It's USRACo made model 70 made in 82. The ones with open sights are hard to find the ones made by WRA are even harder to find. Far as Barnes bullets not going to get into that debate, I have other preferences..

J,

Thanks for the manufacture date, I appreciate it.

I know, you like slinging those NPT's.

And yes, ive killed far more critters with the NPT's than I have with the Barnes... that is why I asked about expansion at 350 yds.

He is a picture of my 30-06.
It shoots the Nosler 200 grain Partition very well. Also the 180 grain Nosler A/B and Barnes 150 grain T-TSX

[Linked Image]
Just a note: My rifle would prolly shoot other bullets just as well. I just haven't used them.
I lost track of how many 30-06 rifles i have. Sent 1 off to have it rechambered to 308 Norma magnum and then just a couple weeks ago, bought another 30-06 featherweight. The week before that, I damn near bought a Tikka superlite 30-06 for $500.00. Had I not been paying $1,200.00 for a Nightforce, I would have taken that Tikka home with me...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I lost track of how many 30-06 rifles i have. Sent 1 off to have it rechambered to 308 Norma magnum.

This is how my last 30-06 ended up. smile

[Linked Image]

I like how that cartridge stamp was done.
168 TTSX, R-P cases, CCI250s, and Ramshot Hunter = MAGIC

Great rifle/cartridge combo congrats!

I like how that cartridge stamp was done.

A lot neater than stamping a bunch of Xs over the old mark and restamping.
Super Cub, very cool!!! I have 3 06's.. One has never been fired by me.. Must have had it 25 years...
SuperCub Happy Birthday!
I've got 6 and wish I had 6 more. Love the '06!
Bob

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MM879
Try some reduced recoil 125's It puts the fun back in shooting.

Did that with a Rem Mod 600 308 Win. That thing was horrible recoil. Loaded up some nice 125's to get 243 Win ballistics. Sweet! Actually fun to shoot.

Nice 150 yard rifle on deer and hogs. Deer in the boiler room and hogs in the ear hole.
Originally Posted by Rug3
SuperCub Happy Birthday!

Thanks ........ Was surrounded with all my family, all in good health, not to mention the cheese cake. Many blessings! smile
If only I would have listened to my brothers, my uncles, my step father and several others I would have had one .30-06 and ALOT of hunting trip memories!!

Great round and congratulations!
PennDog
Originally Posted by PennDog
If only I would have listened to my brothers, my uncles, my step father and several others I would have had one .30-06 and ALOT of hunting trip memories!!

PennDog

Lots of truth in that.
Bob
Originally Posted by PennDog

PennDog

Yep, if I could go back almost 40 years, I wouldn't have spent my
mowing and lunch money on a Vanguard (when they only made 1 model) 243.
It would have been an older 700 in 30-06.

Well, I really like my 660 308. That would have been the...

But then the 300 mag is a nice gun that handles well and...

The Tikka Sweede is so sweet...

No, I'm hopeless!

But, a more sensible person could theoretically do it all with a 30-06.
I shot a 30-06 for two decades and loved it. That was I until I got on the Fire and discovered I needed many more rifles.
Originally Posted by RGK
I've got 6 and wish I had 6 more. Love the '06!
Bob

[Linked Image]

Better be careful there Bob. Some guys will have a conniption fit, knowing you have 6 of the same rifles chambered for the same cartridge. whistle

There are so many good 30-06 loads that I've started looking for ones that don't group well. They won't all shoot as well as some of the groups on this thread, but they'll be fine for hunting.

H4350 and a good 165 or 180 is probably where you'll end up.

Okie John
Originally Posted by hanco
I have four, I shoot the 150 TTSX out of the hunting rifles, 150 gamekiings out of the Garland. I use IMR 4350 in the hunting rifles. You can’t beat a 30-06

I need a supervisor

[Linked Image]

Are you shooting heat-seeking billets out of that Sako? Trying to figure out how you aim it.
My first 30-06... and I like it.!

# G16260xx

Thanks.!

Great rifle! The '06 covers a whole lot of hunting and that specific model makes for a great hunter.
Are you getting your questions answered?

Indeed.

Indeed.

Did you pick this up at cabelas in anchorage?
I run 168 ttsx with big game. I’ll have to look at how much but I think I’m at 2850-2900 FPS.
The 168 hold their velocity better the further you go.
As mentioned you’re good to 500 yards.
I also run 165 SST for deer and plinking ammo as it’s much cheaper
Originally Posted by 79S

Indeed.

Did you pick this up at cabelas in anchorage?

Sure did.

First tried working a trade, but I ended up selling to another individual.
So we did some dickering until I was satisfied.

J,
Do you know that rifle and possibly have load data for it.?

My first 30-06... and I like it.!

...Model 70 XTR Featherweight...

You have arguably the second best chambering for a Fw , grin

Starman,

Arguably...

Subjective, I know.

In your situation, what's your number one.?
its hard to choose an actual #1, there are a few cartridges I like in the Fw format,
but none of them would beat the .30-06 for your intended purpose.
You've probably seen the linked article already but it'll be a help if not.
Getting the most out of your 30-06
I've got a dozen or so 30-06s myself but I never really hunted too much with them - always leaning towards the more "exotics." Fabulous cartridge though. I killed a bull buffalo (American Bison) with the 180 partition, and that's it for my hunting with the -06 SO FAR. Among the herd is a lovely little 20" Spingfield '03 carbine that's been very tastefully upgraded. I plan to make it more so and hunt with it fall of '20. All the rifle slots for this fall are already booked! (.35 Whelen AI - Elk, .270 Win - Mule Deer, and .243 Win - Coues and Antelope)

Enjoy Mule Deer's article.
Rex

Thank you Rex.
I killed a moose at 547 with a 150 trex from a 300 wsm. It went clear through on a diagonal. I did s÷e a need for going heavier with a mono. I prefer to drive the monos faster so lighter weights let me do that too. A 150 ttsx and about 60g of h4350 should put you about 3000fps.

Bb
Originally Posted by earlybrd

We always have an ought 6 around and that's the load!!
© 24hourcampfire