Home
Would like your recommendation on a great "hunting stock" for my Ruger mod 77 Mark II stainless 30-06.
The gun has a custom benchmark 3-groove 11-twist barrel on it, and it is a tack-driver. Am shooting a 200 grain Nosler Partition, and will be keeping that round as my "one round for everything choice".

Barrel is a 22 1/2" with a profile similiar to standard Ruger offerings in a sporter barrel.

Which stock would you recommend to me, to do some serious analysis on?

I hunt both Eastern and Western Washington State for both mule deer and Whitetail (East) and blacktail (West).

Thanks!!!
The one that it came with
Exactly, the one that came with it.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

The boat paddle doesn't work for me.
I was ok with the boat paddle but I like this one better. McMillan MkII Classic.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

Have you tried a new recoil pad on the boat paddle stock? That factory pad is horrendous, but a Limbsaver made all the difference in the world on my 7Mag.

The new Hawkeye stocks fit me great. I’ve replaced a few boat paddle stocks with them.
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

Well, you won't have any problem finding a new home for the paddle
Either the McMillan Ruger Classic (as shown above) or the Hunter if you like its ergos. One or the other will fit you better.

The Bansner/High Tech is also a great one if you want lightweight.

One of those three models will make it awesome.

Me either. But the factory synthetic on the new Hawkeye is very good. I can't think of anyone who makes an aftermarket stock I'd rather have. A McMillan would be a TINY bit better, but certainly not worth the expense. If they made their Edge stock for the Ruger then I'd say yes to it,but they don't make it. The standard fill McMillan will likely be heavier than a factory Hawkeye synthetic and not shoot any better.

The good news is that those boat paddle stocks have reached cult like status among a handful of sadists who like them. I'm sure you can sell it for more than it will cost you to buy a replacement.
Thanks, friends, for your recommendations!
I'd go with a Hawkeye stock.. Walnut for me!

g
© 24hourcampfire