Home
Had to have one so I waited and picked one up that was priced right. Went with the 18” barrel so I could shoot it suppressed and it would still be handy with the gain in length with a suppressor.

First range session was with Factory Hornady “Hunter” 143gr ELD-X.

Looking forward to handloading for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First three shots at 100 yards. Just under 5/8.

[Linked Image]

Made a scope adjustment and went to 200 yards. Two consecutive three shot 200 yard groups.

[Linked Image]
Looks very promising! I already have a T3X Creedmoor that shoots so good that I can’t justify getting another in the same caliber. I will however be getting a Fieldcraft when they finally come out with the 280ai.
I have a 21” 6.5cr Fieldcraft. I had the barrel threaded to 1/2x28 for my silencer. It is my favorite gun (and I’m a Glock, AR, AK sort of guy, not much for bolt guns).

I made the mistake of pondering, “gosh, I wonder what that 22” version with the threaded barrel is running these days...” and now it’s on order. 😂

Originally Posted by SlimBlundt
I have a 21” 6.5cr Fieldcraft. I had the barrel threaded to 1/2x28 for my silencer. It is my favorite gun (and I’m a Glock, AR, AK sort of guy, not much for bolt guns).

I made the mistake of pondering, “gosh, I wonder what that 22” version with the threaded barrel is running these days...” and now it’s on order. 😂

I love the 22" sporter contour. Everyone has their preferences. That model fits my preferences so well I got a second one for backup.
Man, that’s great shooting and I’m sure it’s a great package with the suppressor on it. I’d wonder what the speed is at 18”.. Probably high 2500’s or so? Very cool rifle.
Any idea what the speed is from that short tube? That same ammo chronographs 2654 avg in my 22 inch Tikka.
Originally Posted by kman
Any idea what the speed is from that short tube? That same ammo chronographs 2654 avg in my 22 inch Tikka.

2561 fps.

With the factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. Which works out to a 23.25 fps loss per inch from 22” to 18”. Handloading will remedy that!👍
I have 100 rounds on the barrel. Barrel cleans up real quick with Butches.

Groups are settling down.

200 yards. Hard to ask more from a factory rifle and factory ammo.

[Linked Image]
Like we were texting yesterday, no reason this day and age to build a custom rifle or reload anymore... lotsa great stuff available nowadays. Nice work
It’s a puuuusey cat with the Vais Arms brake.
Originally Posted by Judman
Like we were texting yesterday, no reason this day and age to build a custom rifle or reload anymore... lotsa great stuff available nowadays. Nice work

Man, you aren’t kidding. Those little suckers sell themselves.

Great shooting and I bet it’s a blast to hammer rounds thru.
I’ll say one thing they are consistent! That’s how mine shoots with my 143 eldx handloads.
Originally Posted by Motown
Looks very promising! I already have a T3X Creedmoor that shoots so good that I can’t justify getting another in the same caliber. I will however be getting a Fieldcraft when they finally come out with the 280ai.

If they would twist the 280 AI 8.5 and stretch the mag box to 3.6 it would be a home run!
I really like my Creed, with 147 ELDMs, at 2745. I am not searching for another load!
I wasn’t impressed with the Hornady Factory “American Whitetail “. With the 129gr Interlock.

It was ugly! The best group at 200 yards was 1-3/4”.

I’m about to give the Hornady factory 147gr ELD-M load a go.

[Linked Image]
The factory Hornady 147gr ELD-M SUCKED!

Best 100 yards group and it was much worse out past that.

[Linked Image]
Those fieldcraft rifles sure are nice but I keep trying to justify the price compared to my $500 Tikka 6.5 CM I bought used.
I loaded up some 140's the other day without much load development. I thought this was great for a stock Tikka for a 300 yd group.
[Linked Image]
Tikka’s are NASTY 🤢!!!
I have a Fieldcraft in 6.5x55. While it is not my most accurate rifle it is the most consistent so far. I haven't taken it out past 100 yards with my handloads, but 5 shot groups with virtually all loads hovers about an inch. 130 NAB have been pushed to an average of 2860 from its 24" barrel. Most loads and work up loads are less, but still accurate. I am planning on taking it Mule Deer hunting this year.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have a Fieldcraft in 6.5x55. While it is not my most accurate rifle it is the most consistent so far. I haven't taken it out past 100 yards with my handloads, but 5 shot groups with virtually all loads hovers about an inch. 130 NAB have been pushed to an average of 2860 from its 24" barrel. Most loads and work up loads are less, but still accurate. I am planning on taking it Mule Deer hunting this year.

I've got the same rifle and caliber. I went with the 130 Sirocco last year, but am trying out the 130 Accubond this year. What load were you using? For the Swift I was using RL 19 and a CCI 200 primer.

Com’n Rem280,
You don’t justify the purchase of a new rifle, you just buy it😊. Yes, Tikka’s do shoot well. I’ve owned a couple and been envolved with loading for several others. And you can buy three Tikka’s for the cost of one Barrett Fieldcraft. But then you would just have three Tikka’s instead of a Fieldcraft................
Originally Posted by SMACK
The factory Hornady 147gr ELD-M SUCKED!

Best 100 yards group and it was much worse out past that.

[Linked Image]

Well, that’s interesting. I’m not an experienced shooter AT ALL when it comes to bolt guns, especially ultralight rifles. I had a hard time grouping under 2” when I first took out my 6.5 Cr fieldcraft. After adding a silencer which tamed recoil and acted as a 1# counterweight on the muzzle, my 5-shot groups immediately shrank to .75” using both 140gr BTHP Hornady “American Gunner” and 143gr ELD-X Hornady “Precision Hunter.” Even shooting off a Harris bipod I can keep my groups under 1” and I didn’t even think I was capable of such a feat.

Now I’m interested to try the 147s...
I wasn’t impressed with the Hornady Factory “American Whitetail “. With the 129gr Interlock.

[Linked Image]

1 3/4 inches at 200 yards with factory ammo is "ugly"?
Originally Posted by sbhooper

[Linked Image]

1 3/4 inches at 200 yards with factory ammo is "ugly"?

My thoughts exactly, ‘Hooper. That means if zeroed at 200, point of impact is just 7/8” from point of aim......hell, you could shoot prairie dogs successfully out to about 250 yards.
Glad it’s shooting good SMACK
My 6.5 fieldcraft hasn’t shot anything over 1 moa at 100. Hell it shot the cheap bellot & sellier $12.99 ammo .75... for a lightweight “hunting” rifle it’s amazing. Fit and finish are amazing. I agree it’s hard to justify a custom and reloading with this rifle on the market.
300 yards. Factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X fodder.

[Linked Image]
I’d think that should work. Dang good.
My best load was 45g of RL 17 in Lapua Cases and CCI 200 primers. Hunter was a close 2nd. as I recall. This load is 2 grains over Noslers book load. Its max load of 43g of RL 17 was very accurate too, but only one grain over it's 260 Remington load.
Lapua has large primer brass available now?
Both large and small.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Either large or small. Your choice.
Can you tell me where? I checked Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, and Powder Valley and they're all showing small rifle primer only Lapua cases.
Originally Posted by lastround

Either large or small. Your choice.

For realzies?
I'd never never-say-never but if they do, Lapua has kept this a very well-kept secret amongst an industry full of blabber-mouths. laugh
Lapua only offers 6.5 Creedmoor brass in the small rifle primer variety.

https://www.lapua.com/cases/6-5-creedmoor/
Lapua’s 260 uses LRPs.
Well yeah, but this thread isn't about the 260. My question was specifically to someone who posted a load with Lapua case and 200 primer.

We need a dislike button...
Mine is a 24" / no.2 Lipsey's special-run 6.5 CM Fieldcraft... I haven't really done any load development with it. One powder, a few different bullets, one seating depth off lands... pretty boring really.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, anyone found the Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass with large rifle primers yet?
Black mounts would be purdier maybe.
I have 100 rounds on the barrel. Barrel cleans up real quick with Butches.

Groups are settling down.

200 yards. Hard to ask more from a factory rifle and factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

Why would you even TRY to improve on that? Very nice!
Well yeah, but this thread isn't about the 260. My question was specifically to someone who posted a load with Lapua case and 200 primer.

We need a dislike button...

There ain’t no such thing as Lapua 6.5 LRP brass. He’s got his wires crossed.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Originally Posted by kingston

I know right. Looks like some Bozeman rifle with those silver mounts. LOL
Well, anyone found the Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass with large rifle primers yet?

Nope, but Alpha makes both LRP and SRP versions. I use the LRP and it is superb. I’ve read enough good things about ADG that I wouldn’t be afraid to try it either.

https://alphamunitions.com/product/6-5-creedmoor/

https://alphamunitions.com/product/6-5-creedmoor-srp-small-rifle-primer/

https://atlasdg.com/product/6-5-creedmoor/

John
Thanks John. Good info.
My bad for saying Lapua made both large and small primer brass. I was thinking they did but they do not. Sorry!
^^^^^ Whttail_in_Montana owes me a formal apology... and maybe a box of pastries.
For?

Will these do?
[Linked Image]
That screams sorry!

Shot my 18.5" yesterday. I didn't have much time. Had 2 sighters and shot a 3-shot group with Hornady 147 Gr. ELD-M at 100 yards. I think I'm done, other than shooting a bit at longer ranges.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire