Home
Posted By: Swampman700 Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/05/19
I played with one of these at Cabela’s and really liked it. Reviews seem to indicate they are pretty accurate. Anyone have any experience with them?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I played with one of these at Cabela’s and really liked it. Reviews seem to indicate they are pretty accurate. Anyone have any experience with them?

Customer service like no other... it absolutely sucks... and with Kimber there is a very good chance you will need it.
Posted By: Black67 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/05/19
I bought a 84L Hunter last year. Mine is a 270 Win with a Burris 4.5x14 scope sitting in Talley's. It is light for me overall, and a bit nose heavy. I am use to Win. Model 70's, and this is my lightest rifle that I own.

I have only put factory loads through it, and it likes the Federal 140 gr. Trophy Bonded Tipped loads the best so far. It puts a 3 shot group at about .75" at 100 yards. With this load, its going to be my deer and elk rifle this year.

I did have to adjust my trigger, as it was a about 4 1/2 to 5 pounds. I like my hunting rifles about 3 lbs, and that is where it is at now.

I ordered 2 extra mags for it too, and they are a bit pricey. This is my first Kimber, and I like it so far.
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/05/19
I have a Hunter stock for my Montana (same action) and think it's a pretty slick setup for ~$700. I've been through several Tikkas, and while I like them, I think the Hunter has a nicer action and is a better deal at current prices, I'm planning on getting one in .280 ai at some point.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Customer service like no other... it absolutely sucks... and with Kimber there is a very good chance you will need it.

I agree, I have used customer service from many gun makers, Kimber And Beretta CS is some of the worst I have experienced....Some of the best CS ive experienced has been from Ruger and Weatherby 👍......Hb
Posted By: z1r Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
My sample size is limited to one, but I have been very pleased with mine. I wanted an all weather light weight deer rifle and came upon a Hunter 84M in 6.5 Creed at a price I couldn't resist and haven't had any issues and it's very accurate. Mine is box stock and done all I've asked of it..
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
I bought one last summer. 6.5 CM. Shot 7/8” at 200 yds with Hornady 143gr ELD-X.

I don’t know why I sold it but I did. I’ll have another at some point.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
My Hunter is in 6.5 CM with a 2.5x8 Leupold on deck.
I’ve killed several elk with it and 3 big blacktail bucks so far.

I really like this rifle. It fits me very well, balance is good and I enjoy its light weight.
The action is basically a scaled down pre64 model 70.
The trigger is adjustable and mine is set at 2 1/2#.
The detachable magazine works just fine and I’ve come to favor it over a blind mag.
I haven’t reloaded for it yet, as the factory ammo I’ve run thru it shoots extremely well......

The stock ergonomics work well for me - a good fit.
The plain Jane earth tone color is easily painted to suit....a blank canvas in my view.
I hit mine with some black web spray and topped that with a few coats of Matt clear coat.
That completely changes the rifles look.....it says “all business”.

I like this rifle enough that I’m adding a Hunter in 7mm-08 to the safe.....
Posted By: Joezone Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
I have one in 280AI for a couple years and plan to use it for elk again soon. It is one of my favorite rifles. Got a little tired of carrying around a 300WM. Haven't had to do anything to it.
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
Anyone know why Kimber doesn't chamber the Hunters in .223?
Originally Posted by jmsdad

I don’t know but they don’t chamber the Montana in 223 anymore either.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19

I wish I knew!
In my opinion, an 8 twist .223 on the Hunter offering would be a good seller for Kimber.
I’d order one in a heartbeat 👍
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

I wish I knew!
In my opinion, an 8 twist .223 on the Hunter offering would be a good seller for Kimber.

I agree and I would too.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
I bought one last month in 6.5 CM. Topped it with a 4-12x40 vx2 CDS and finally shot it last week. After about 10 rounds, it was getting me less than 1/2in, five shot groups at 100 yds with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I like it a lot!
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19

You are so full of crap.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19

I wish I knew!

Especially if they built it with a magazine that would allow an OAL of 2.5-2.6"!! 1:7 twist would be even more betterer.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

You are so full of crap.

Please expand on your brilliance. Maybe explain how a rifle can come back from their shop with added issues twice, back-to-back? Or how they overlook very specific descriptions of the same problem, twice?

I am more than happy to hear your explanation.
While you are at it, explain why their customer service lied, very clearly, about what they did. Maybe explain why their fix was repeated, making things worse each time. Or why they refinished it when there was no need...

You are so full of crap.

Please expand on your brilliance. Maybe explain how a rifle can come back from their shop with added issues twice, back-to-back? Or how they overlook very specific descriptions of the same problem, twice?

Thought so...
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19

You are so full of crap.

First, explain to my why “I’ll need it”.
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/06/19
Originally Posted by horse1

I wish I knew!

Especially if they built it with a magazine that would allow an OAL of 2.5-2.6"!! 1:7 twist would be even more betterer.

X100, although I'd still be plenty happy with an 8 twist. I don't know how many .223 Montanas they sold, but a $700 Hunter would be in a different market, I can't imagine that they wouldn't make money.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/07/19
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by horse1

I wish I knew!

X100, although I'd still be plenty happy with an 8 twist. I don't know how many .223 Montanas they sold, but a $700 Hunter would be in a different market, I can't imagine that they wouldn't make money.

Yeah, talking a little out of my league here.....my Ruger American is a 1:8 and seems to run pretty much anything I throw at it.
If 1:7 is mo betterer, then I’m all for it.
The Hunter vs my RAR is a no-brainer...... The RAR is a good truck gun and accurate, but a real truck axle compared to the Hunter.

The 7-08 Hunter I’m ordering is under $770 at a local Bi-Mart........ I absolutely don’t “need” it, but they’ll never be cheaper and will be a great tool to let a grandchild use - and I can play with it in the meantime. Having 1400+ bullets of various weights sitting on the shelf to load, makes it attractive as well 😎
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/08/19
My 308 is a shooter

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14111269#Post14111269

To be fair, that is a fluke. But in all honesty with loads it likes it shoots as good as any rifle I own. I wouldn't say it is picky about what it shoots well, but like a lot of rifles it won't shoot everything I put in it well. But it does well enough with most of the loads I've tried.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Kimber Hunter 84M - 09/09/19
I bought my son a kimber hunter 84m in 308. I put a Burris ffII 4X16 on it. It shot easy five shot group at 3/8 inch at 100 yards with Federal blue box. I ended up keeping that one as a fluke and bought him another one that is the same set up that shoots about 3/4 inch at 100 yards with the same ammo. He likes it and takes it moose hunting. I have been pretty happy with my Barrett and Fierce rifles but its nice to have a bull pen of brush rifles that I can take and not worry about beating up.
© 24hourcampfire