Home
My vote would go to the 7mm-08. Seems I remember reading about it some back in the early 80s, but not a whole lot. It just kind of gained in popularity slowly by word of mouth. Granted it does not set any sales records, but many companies chamber rifles in it and ammo is never hard to find. What are some others?
My 6.5x55 came with no exciting ad copy wink
who fuuckin cares ?
Originally Posted by Blackheart
who fuuckin cares ?

I am guessing you don't. Maybe some others will.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
who fuuckin cares ?

Why ? Really I'm not trying to piss on your thread here Mr. BigBore I just don't understand why anyone would care about "hype" or alot of other things they seem to want to discuss here for that matter.
who fuuckin cares ?

Why ?

Maybe I am the only one who finds the question interesting. I like underdogs I guess. No offense taken.
I think the 7-08 would be a very good example. How about the .308? It's usually compared to the .30-06 but it stands on its own merits.
I would vote for the 7mm-08's sibling, the .260 Remington. My longtime gunsmith talked a lot folks into trying it and it became one of his most-chambered cartridges in his custom rifles.
I think the 7-08 survives as a hunting cartridge mostly because it offers something between the super popular .243 and .308 that fits in short bolt actions and levers like the BLR and Henry long ranger. Until the 6.5 Creedmoor came out there wasn't much else to choose between those two that wasn't pretty much obsolete or at least headed there {.257 Rob. .284 Win.}. Now that the Creedmoor is here and selling briskly it will cut heavily into 7-08 sales and may eventually push it into the grave next to the .284 Win..
In the early 80s I recollect quite a stir over the 7-08 and things started to level off in the 90s.
The 6.5x55 is over 125 years old.. it's about time we enjoyed it more.. I have since 1985!

Geo
Had my first custom left hand rifle chambered 7mm-08 about 20 years ago. For me, minimal difference in felt recoil versus a .308. Even with 120gr bullets. I rebarreled to .243 Win. The rifle is still a .243 Win and has killed it's fair share of KY WT's...

As far as least hyped cartridge... How 'bout the good old .30-06 ??? All it did was win two World Wars. No hype needed. It just works...
Now that the Creedmoor is here and selling briskly it will cut heavily into 7-08 sales and may eventually push it into the grave next to the .284 Win..

Nice!

That will leave more for me............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

yowsir!

GWB
Easy...7mm-08
20 years ago I would have said the 45-70

The 308 has always been wildly popular and it’s market share is growing still. I’d bet it has surpassed the 06 by now if not around 2000 or so.
I think the 7-08 survives as a hunting cartridge mostly because it offers something between the super popular .243 and .308 that fits in short bolt actions and levers like the BLR and Henry long ranger. Until the 6.5 Creedmoor came out there wasn't much else to choose between those two that wasn't pretty much obsolete or at least headed there {.257 Rob. .284 Win.}. Now that the Creedmoor is here and selling briskly it will cut heavily into 7-08 sales and may eventually push it into the grave next to the .284 Win..

7-08 isn’t going anywhere. 308 parent guarantees that imho. 7x57 ballistics don’t hurt either
I must have missed when the 7-08 became popular?
Originally Posted by geedubya
Now that the Creedmoor is here and selling briskly it will cut heavily into 7-08 sales and may eventually push it into the grave next to the .284 Win..

Nice!

That will leave more for me

yowsir!

GWB

Damn GWB,
Have you ever walked by a gun and didn't buy it?

😜👀👍

GeoW
30/30

303 British
Originally Posted by Quak
Easy...7mm-08
20 years ago I would have said the 45-70

The 308 has always been wildly popular and it’s market share is growing still. I’d bet it has surpassed the 06 by now if not around 2000 or so.

Not at all here.

You really don't see that many 308's. (My favorite)
It's all about the 30-06. Or a magnum.

7mm08 probably is the least hyped. (Dont have one, eould though)
Surprising number in use, little talk about them though.
Owners seem pleased.
270 Win... unheralded at its birth, and it took some years for it to get discovered. Its popularity far exceeds most modern cartridges. The 7-08 isn’t even close to “least-hyped and popular” compared to the 270.

No military cartridge belongs in this discussion...
Geedubya, you are the man!
270 is over hyped and has been since the 30s! Doesn’t make it bad...but the 7-08 is a thinking mans cartridge. It remains on its merits alone. JOC didn’t have to pimp it for 40 years for it to find acceptance.
.223? became quite the whitetail killer after the internets was invented and actual testimony drowned out the old wives tales and superstition.
Scratching my head after reading through this.....
Scratching my balls. Been without a 7mm-08 for too long.
who fuuckin cares ?

Don't pay any attention to Blackfart. When his hemorrhoids get to bothering him, he gets on here and takes it out on other posters.

Now, if you had asked the question as to the least hyped medicine for your itchy ass, he would have fit right in.
Most of the military cartridges probably fit the bill, as they were designed to be used to kill people, not animals. The 30-06 is probably the biggest name, but the 45-70, 7X57, 6.5X55, 308, 303 British, and the 223 are all known as great hunting cartridges.
If the wife ever raises her eyebrows over my paltry collection - I have screenshot photos from geedubya ready to show.

Nice!

That will leave more for me............

[Linked Image]

yowsir!

GWB

Is that Styer a .284 or 7-08?
6.5 variants.
6.5 Swede has been around for ever. But now we have 6.5 CM, 6.5PRC, 26 Nosler ,6.5-300...
When did 7-08 become main stream like the 6.5 CM?
Originally Posted by horse1

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
30-06. Was it hyped a hundred plus years ago or did become popular because it is so good?
I'll cast my vote for the 300 Savage. While it may have had a bit of a fuss made about it in the early '20s, it seems to receive mention only in articles about the 99 Savage now.
Originally Posted by hanco
30-06. Was it hyped a hundred plus years ago or did become popular because it is so good?

Probably both. Over-hyped...AND it delivered.

Oops.
Brad is correct. The 270 Winchester.
Originally Posted by Brad
270 Win... unheralded at its birth, and it took some years for it to get discovered. Its popularity far exceeds most modern cartridges. The 7-08 isn’t even close to “least-hyped and popular” compared to the 270.

I'd add the 338. That one took a LONG time to catch on.

Okie John
How was the 30/06 "hyped"? Was using it in three wars a means of promotion? GD
Ever read the writings of the day? Everyone with a typewriter was pimping it for all it was worth. Not much has changed LOL
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Scratching my balls. Been without a 7mm-08 for too long.

Ok. Put your balls back in their box after you are done.
350 legend?

7-08 isn’t going anywhere. 308 parent guarantees that imho.
The .308 is also the parent of the .358 and the .358 has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.. The .338 Federal is flailing for a foothold right beside it..

7-08 isn’t going anywhere. 308 parent guarantees that imho. The .308 is also the parent of the .358 and the .358 has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.. The .338 Federal is flailing for a foothold right beside it..

Maybe heresy, but I've not been overly impressed with the .358, much preferring the 35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

My first 338 Federal was a disaster, but I'm liking the heck out of my AR-10 upper in 338 Federal loaded with the 185 Gr. Hornady GMX for a hog-thumper.

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Definitely the 6.5 Creed wink
Originally Posted by horse1

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Nice, but, I was kinda hoping to find that they'd made a 284 and I just didn't know about it.
Ive got it!!!! 22 long rifle , bytch
I think the 7mm-08 fills the bill as the least hyped, but super successful cartridge. I know that I don’t remember much being said about it for it’s first 10 or 15 years. I think it started out as the darling of the silhouette crowd. It took me about 25 years to understand that I needed one. It does all that my 270 before it did, and has become one of my favorite cartridges. From what I can tell, it is continuing to grow in popularity and rightfully so.
6.5x55 and 7x57
I think popularity and hype often go hand-in-hand. Sometimes the hype comes first, and sometimes the popularity comes first, but I can't think of a single popular hunting cartridge that hasn't been hyped to death at some point. A better question would be: what is the most hyped hunting cartridge that never gained popularity?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I think popularity and hype often go hand-in-hand. Sometimes the hype comes first, and sometimes the popularity comes first, but I can't think of a single popular hunting cartridge that hasn't been hyped to death at some point. A better question would be: what is the most hyped hunting cartridge that never gained popularity?

WSMs
or maybe WSSMs?
Originally Posted by Slope77

WSMs

Definitely over-hyped. And still fairly popular, I bet. But nothing like what they were right after they came out. The claims about what they could do were absurd. I still think they are a good idea, just not in the platforms they are stuck in. Put a longer neck on a WSM and put it in a standard-length action, and you have something sweet. That matches other magnums on standard-length actions.
Originally Posted by southtexas
or maybe WSSMs?

My experience with the WSSMS proved to me that there are about 5 reasons why they were ill-conceived. And I still have one. It will become something else sometime soon. But yes, hyped, and crap, and deservedly unpopular. Everyone seems to know it too.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
6.5x55 and 7x57

1000 elephants and 8000 moose I consider to be a fair amount of hype
I’m thinkin’ of hyping the 222. Don’t the Inuits hunt polar bears with those things? Accurate as heck and powerful enough to kill the largest terrestrial predator on earth!!! 😉
For little to no hype, the 6.5X55 and the 9.3X62 both "got found" and more popular. The 7mm-08 is another but it was hyped a bit by silhouette shooters who found it made pretty good hunting round.
It was only a kid when it came out but seems the .280 has for sure had its ups and downs.
or maybe WSSMs?

My experience with the WSSMS proved to me that there are about 5 reasons why they were ill-conceived. And I still have one.It will become something else sometime soon yes, hyped, and crap, and deservedly unpopular. Everyone seems to know it too.

Just curious. What else can you put into those super short actions?
7-08 is a very good cartridge. But I wouldn't call it popular. I don't know a single person who currently, or who has ever owned one. Finding ammo locally is near impossible, it would have to be hand loaded or ordered online.

The 270 had been on the market for 25 years and sales were so bad Winchester almost dropped the round. Had it not been for Jack O'Connor writing about it the round would have died in the 1950's. While the hype came long after it was introduced it was still hyped pretty well.

I can't think of a single popular round that didn't receive a lot of hype at some point. But my vote goes for the 280. I wouldn't call it popular, but it has seen more use in relation to what I hear about it than any other cartridge.
In the guns stores around here a 7mm08 would be a special order item. It is all 243, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag and 300 in mag. There is a 6.5 Manbun in every make as well.
or maybe WSSMs?

My experience with the WSSMS proved to me that there are about 5 reasons why they were ill-conceived. And I still have one.It will become something else sometime soon yes, hyped, and crap, and deservedly unpopular. Everyone seems to know it too.

22-250, but not one for shooting longer bullets, as the COL is limited. And any cartridge designed to shoot in an AR-15 platform. I'm thinking 45 Bushmaster. I suspect they will even feed from the magazine with some minimal feedramp work. A Bushmaster with a PMAX of 65k is a different animal than the AR version. I think I could get 2700 out of 230gr ball. That would be interesting.
Originally Posted by GeoW
In the early 80s I recollect quite a stir over the 7-08 and things started to level off in the 90s.

Geo

I remember a lot of interest and press per the 7-08 in the 80s as well.
? Maybe depends on what one was reading ?

Also I remember the 260 R splash following the 7-08.
One GW even wrote that the 260 outperformed the 270 in ballistics. I once had the
magazine, American Rifleman OR Hunter.

He really touted Remington’s claim but it didn’t live up to the press.

On the 284W, I don’t remember when it came on the scene OR maybe I wasn’t
reading the right rags. What I remember is the 284 wasn’t enjoying the popularity
that IMO it deserved.

Today I have a 98, 284 W with 21” bll and its ballistics are very pleasing to me
w/o having to stand on the throttle. I’m getting 3000 FPS with 139 HBTSP &
“Surplus” 4831. That IS 270 W territory. I DID get 3000 FPS with 140 HBTSP
in the 270 W but at HIgher pressure loads.

* I know the ballistic diff in 140s between 277 & 284. *

I still like the look of the 284 case FWIW. Personal preference.

Jerry

ps: Personal Preference .....
I like the looks of 6mm REM over the 243.
I like the looks of 30-06 over the 308 and prefer the minimal ballistical advantage.
I like the looks of the 300 WM over the 308 N M
et.al.
7MM-O8
Easy...7mm-08

Where were you guys in the 80s ? The 7-08 had plenty hype.

Jerry
i had a custom 7mm-08 before manufactures ever chambered them or reloading books had this fine cartridge in their books.
6mm rem
or maybe WSSMs?

22-250, but not one for shooting longer bullets, as the COL is limited. And any cartridge designed to shoot in an AR-15 platform. I'm thinking 45 Bushmaster. I suspect they will even feed from the magazine with some minimal feedramp work. A Bushmaster with a PMAX of 65k is a different animal than the AR version. I think I could get 2700 out of 230gr ball. That would be interesting.

Wouldn't that require some modification of the bolt face? If a 22-250 is possible, then a 250 Savage should work...
Originally Posted by RMiller2
In the guns stores around here a 7mm08 would be a special order item. It is all 243, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag and 300 in mag. There is a 6.5 Manbun in every make as well.
The 7mm-08 is not "popular" by any stretch of the imagination in my AO either. The 6.5 Creedmoor is far more prevalent/available and clearly kicking the 7-08's ass in sales.
or maybe WSSMs?

SAUM
7-08 is a top 5 or 10 cartridge up here. I’d say the list goes something like this

Big game
1)308 (in addition to bolt guns there are a lot of 99s and AR10s plus tacti-[bleep])
2)30-06
3)270
4)7rm
5)7-08 or 6.5cm (6.5 gaining speed due to tacti-[bleep] crowd...and it’s a great round)
Originally Posted by Dre
6.5 variants.
6.5 Swede has been around for ever. But now we have 6.5 CM, 6.5PRC, 26 Nosler ,6.5-300...

Presently the 6.5’s are mainstream on the forums and the mags only. With exceptions, not so much so in the fields.

We can wonder around the woods or fields if you like, and I will give you a dollar for every 6.5 we come across, if you give me 50 cents for every one that isn’t.

Back in the 80’s the 7mm-08 was mainstream, being hyped as the modern day popular equivalent of the .30-30 in its day. The Southern crew was especially hyped. Layne Simpson being one writer who was saying it was the next beeeeg Deer killer.

They all come and go eventually.
or maybe WSSMs?

Wouldn't that require some modification of the bolt face? If a 22-250 is possible, then a 250 Savage should work...

Yes, but mine is a Browning. Simple bolt face swap. The 250 has the same limitations as the 22-250 as far as COL, and is thus handicapped in a SS action.
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Dre
6.5 variants.

We can wonder around the woods or fields if you like, and I will give you a dollar for every 6.5 we come across, if you give me 50 cents for every one that isn’t.

Back in the 80’s the 7mm-08 was mainstream, being hyped as the modern day popular equivalent of the .30-30 in its day. The Southern crew was especially hyped. Layne Simpson being one writer who was saying it was the next beeeeg Deer killer.

+ 2 or 3

From ‘95——> 2012 i was in a large deer lease, a few K acres & 100+ members.
NO one carried a 6.5 Anything !

Actually since 2011 when I got my Swede, I know EXACTLY 1 hunter who even knew
what a 6.5 X 55 is.

Jerry
I'll second the 6.5 Creedmoor for this category, too.

It was created to be a Target cartridge in '05 and introduced by Hornady in '07 as such.

I couldn't have given a crap, nor could most of y'all.

Back in O'Connor's day he could get out maybe two dozen stories a year in magazines, but that was enough for my Dad to purchase a Model 70 .270 in 1952 to celebrate surviving two years of air combat over North Korea.

Even in this age of computers and hundred of sites for shooters it took almost a decade for the Creed to become the darling of the internet and in the hunting fields.

The Explosion of PRS competition and a swell of interest in sniping and long range hunting thanks to websites and popular movies and books about the former stoked it higher.

I turn 60 this week and have been a shooter since I was four and a voracious reader of gunology and hunting since the mid-60s. Hell, I even wrote for gun magazines from '95-'13 to support my LE hobby!

And I firmly believe the Creed is now the most popular new round in my life thus far.

Dammit! Whilst perusing my nearest Wally World's ammo selection yesterday, I saw more variations of 6.5 Creed available than any C.F. Rifle cal. save the 5.56/.223. There was even a box of 50 or 60 open tip match loads for less than $60!

I live in TN's 4th biggest city/county and there's only one store in my county that has ammo for my .260 Remington CTR!

Creed's 12-Year Overnight Success!
© 24hourcampfire