Home
Hello,

I've read many threads on the pros of the BLR and have always admired them, however, I prefer supporting US companies and buying their made in US products. Has anyone done any comparisons of the BLR with the Henry Long Ranger rifle? My plan would be to purchase one in .308 and have it bored to .338 Fed.. I really like the .358 Win. but already have a Whelen, so I thought I'd go with a different caliber for kicks.
Posted By: szihn Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/13/19
Well browning had made the BLR in 358 and I think they still do. I do not know about the 338 Federal
Henry might consider doing one as a custom job, Especially if you were to send them the barrel blank.

So before you make your decision I'd suggest you call both of the companies and talk to their shop managers or custom order departments. You may find one or the other to be more accommodating then you thought they would be.
Posted By: mikieb Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
I too am looking at the Henry Long Ranger.... and I want it in a 338 federal if I could get it... .358 would work too... but I prefer the 338 federal. If they can make a .308 they can make a .338.

Let us know how you make out.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
Blr all the way. I know a couple guys that had the long ranger...minute of barn was all they could muster

Henry may be American made ..but that doesn't mean they aren't junk
Posted By: szihn Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
I just went to look. Yup Browning still makes a BLR in 358

https://www.browning.com/products/f...on/blr-lightweight-with-pistol-grip.html
Posted By: Quak Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
Henry’s .22s are low quality fwiw. They purchased a design from a foreign interest if memory serves. I’ve never had much interest in their other items.
I have owned both of these chambered in .308 Win....My Henry was very accurate indeed but I still liked my BLR rifles better 👍......Hb
There are quite a few reviews and tests out there on the Long Ranger. Many of them conducted by people and organizations who aren't hesitant to call crap crap. It seems the overwhelming majority really like the Long Ranger. Looks like it is an inch to inch and a half type gun in the accuracy department. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-henry-long-ranger-308-rifle-2/

As is often the case, the negative comments come from people who do not own one, have not shot one, have never handled one, are predisposed to disliking the product and are reporting on what they heard their cousin Festus heard someone at the range say about the one their friend's uncle had.
What i said was true. Can’t remember the companies name that first made the pot metal lever action 22s but I think it was w German. Regardless Henry re-badged them and presto...the birth of a gun company.

No idea on the Lone Ranger...Henry anything is not my jam hence I didn’t comment on that gun.

Just realized how that sounded...it’s not that I don’t like Henry as a company...I just am more into bolt actions
Posted By: ingwe Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Blr all the way. I know a couple guys that had the long ranger...minute of barn was all they could muster

Henry may be American made ..but that doesn't mean they aren't junk

THIS...exactly.
Originally Posted by Quak
What i said was true. Can’t remember the companies name that first made the pot metal lever action 22s but I think it was w German. Regardless Henry re-badged them and presto...the birth of a gun company.

No idea on the Lone Ranger...Henry anything is not my jam hence I didn’t comment on that gun.

Just realized how that sounded...it’s not that I don’t like Henry as a company...I just am more into bolt actions

I can't remember where I read it, but some guy documented a LONG torture test into the 10's of thousands of rounds on a pot metal Henry 22. After every so many thousands of rounds, he disassembled it and took measurements. The gun never gave up or went out of tolerance. It turns out that the 22 long rifle doesn't need to be built like a .460 Weatherby and that the pot metal/advanced lightweight alloy will last much longer than 99.923% of shooters need it to.
Posted By: domit Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
getting a second magazine for the Henry is next to imposable . feeding might be an issue in the Henry. the Blr has been done, I saw the 338 for sale for just yesterday.
Posted By: micky Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/14/19
I have never understood the hatred of Henry 22s. I have a 22 mag with the octogon barrel and it's squirrel head accurate at 50 yards. Is it an Anschutz? No, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much either. Add a Vortex rimfire scope and it's a fun to carry and shoot little lever. I bought the one for me after getting my daughter a youth model and liking hers.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I can't remember where I read it, but some guy documented a LONG torture test into the 10's of thousands of rounds on a pot metal Henry 22. After every so many thousands of rounds, he disassembled it and took measurements. The gun never gave up or went out of tolerance. It turns out that the 22 long rifle doesn't need to be built like a .460 Weatherby and that the pot metal/advanced lightweight alloy will last much longer than 99.923% of shooters need it to.

Acceptably durable cheaply made gun...got it

Originally Posted by micky
I have never understood the hatred of Henry 22s. I have a 22 mag with the octogon barrel and it's squirrel head accurate at 50 yards. Is it an Anschutz? No, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much either. Add a Vortex rimfire scope and it's a fun to carry and shoot little lever. I bought the one for me after getting my daughter a youth model and liking hers.

I dont think its hatred per say...i myself dont hate them. To be honest I'm just not into lever action rifles though so my opinion really doesn't matter. I have heard many owners insisting though that they are every bit as good as 39s and 9422s...which is just not true..and i think that steams some people.
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/15/19
the quality of the Browning BLR rifles is so much better than any Henry rifle made,there is no way i would spend any money on Henry rifles. i own 4 BLR`S all shoot excellent and are very well made too,buy a BLR you will be much more happy with your hard earned money.i own some Henry 22`s they are not near as good a rifle as a Marlin 39A either.

Erma Werke of Germany was the company that used to make the rifle. It was sold for a time as the Erma model 73, imported by Ithaca as the model 72 saddle gun in the '70's and also by Iver Johnson. The thing is it was designed by Anthony Imperato's father in the first place and the design was sold to Erma. Anthony Imperato, in case you didn't know is the current owner, CEO and founder of Henry Repeating Arms. Anthony bought the design back from Erma to produce it here and start Henry Repeating arms. I know several people who have the Henry .22 Lever guns and are very happy with them, including my son. I have shot my sons extensively. It functions perfectly and is more accurate than my old Marlin 39. I don't know what more you could ask for given the price.
Originally Posted by pete53
the quality of the Browning BLR rifles is so much better than any Henry rifle made,there is no way i would spend any money on Henry rifles. i own 4 BLR`S all shoot excellent and are very well made too,buy a BLR you will be much more happy with your hard earned money.i own some Henry 22`s they are not near as good a rifle as a Marlin 39A either.
If you like a flashy, neon sign, pimp gun with a horrible trigger the BLR is your huckleberry.

My dad bought one of those under the Ithaca brand about 40 years or more ago. By brother has it now. It is still cranking out accurate shots to this day and always functions. If it is pot metal I can't tell it. Also, my brother got a letter from the owner of Henry stating his father designed the gun and had it built in Germany.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by pete53
If you like a flashy, neon sign, pimp gun with a horrible trigger the BLR is your huckleberry.

I like the look of the BLR, but the Henry I looked at had a better trigger and felt good in the hands.
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/15/19
not all BLR`s have bad triggers and with a little ability those triggers clean up and can work alot better too. i own 3 - 39A all 3 are accurate and my Henry 22`s in golden boys are accurate too.the old Marlin levers are built nicer and function better too.its your hard earned money you get to make the decision on what brand and cartridge you want to buy. just remember this word >"resale" the BLR`s will always be worth more than a Henry ! as a gun dealer / FFL holder i know resale and what sells best ,if you want the best lever rifle ever made buy a used Savage 99. good luck with your choice,Pete53
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/15/19
I find the Henry CF leverguns so impressively oogly that any further investigation is pointless. Hard to shoot well while chucking one's cookies.

I did buy one of their SSs, btw, which ain't bad looking. As to shooting, we shall see.

The rimfires remind me of the old Erma rifles from Germany. Maybe that's where they originated. Some years back when my son worked at Gander, Henry .22s were neck and neck with Rossis for the most-often returned POSs. Since many seem to like them these days, perhaps they got better. Or maybe cheapness trumps everything else to some.
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I find the Henry CF leverguns so impressively oogly that any further investigation is pointless. Hard to shoot well while chucking one's cookies.

I did buy one of their SSs, btw, which ain't bad looking. As to shooting, we shall see.

The rimfires remind me of the old Erma rifles from Germany. Maybe that's where they originated. Some years back when my son worked at Gander, Henry .22s were neck and neck with Rossis for the most-often returned POSs. Since many seem to like them these days, perhaps they got better. Or maybe cheapness trumps everything else to some.
No real reason to return a Henry to Gander as their customer service is second to none and they will bend over backwards to make a customer happy if there's a problem. I explained in a previous post the Erma/ Ithaca /Iver Johnson/ Henry connection for those who can read.
Posted By: pdman Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/15/19
HEY ALL....I think my Henry Golden Boy can hold its own against ANY .22 rimfire you would care to throw against it....i never expected any kind of accuracy from it from the beginning....it is from about 2002 when they were built in Brooklyn NY...!!! and so marked on the BBL...I have lost count as to how many rounds have gone down the BBL...i would have to say in excess of twenty five thousand easily...
I left NYC in 2013 and retired to the austin, tx area...it is set up for rimfire silhouette...see the pics..5 shots at 50 meters to check the sights......does anyone really need more accuracy than this ??
Am working on NRA MASTER Class with this rifle...soon...
Pete
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: BLR vs. Henry Long Ranger - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by Blackheart
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No real reason to return a Henry to Gander as their customer service is second to none and they will bend over backwards to make a customer happy if there's a problem. I explained in a previous post the Erma/ Ithaca /Iver Johnson/ Henry connection for those who can read.

First, this was about 2005, and at that time Gander would ship problem guns back to the make, sparing the customer that trouble.

Second, unless I happen to read one by mistake, I generally skip over your posts as you've gone from someone that used to usually have something worthwhile to say to one of the most unpleasant, bitter-sounding know-it-alls on the site, and I don't waste time reading your bilious drivel.
© 24hourcampfire