Home
Posted By: DrDeath Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/16/19
Was watching a few hunting shows this weekend and they were really taunting the greatness of the hornady ELD-x Ammo. Any real world reviews from members here? Looking at the 308 & 30/06 factory leadings.
308 Precision Hunter 178gr is very accurate in my son's Kimber 308 Longmaster.

The bullet is great for deer, but maybe a little frangible for bigger game.
My Barrett 6mm didn't much care for it. Bought it just as a baseline for my handloads.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/16/19
I saw that Brian Quaca The pigman loves these on hogs and deer. That’s one of the shows I saw that was talking about them...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/16/19
There was a day when the hunting shows like Corlokts too...of course they were black and white back then..
The 143 ELD-X shoot great in the two rifles i've tried them in, both .270 Win, a Remington and a Savage.

As to construction, I'm not sold on them. That said, Daughter #1 and possibly her BIL will be using them for elk this November. I'm sure they will do the job but curious how they hold together.
I’ve shot and seen them work well on 6 different Antelope personally from 200yards to 795 yards out of a 6.5creed. They seem to work fine

My buddy shot a nice 6X6 elk with them out of his 300wm last year at 550 yards one shot couple steps and was done

All Hornady Precision Hunter ammo
I'm going to give them a shot in my 7-08. I'm not really concerned at those speeds but how fragile (or tough) are they supposed to be?
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I'm going to give them a shot in my 7-08. I'm not really concerned at those speeds but how fragile (or tough) are they supposed to be?

I use the 150 eldx in my handloads for the Mighty -08. A bunch of bucks and one 5x6 bull. Nothing needed a second shot. My nephew kilt the bull and he put a couple of insurance shots in the bull because it was still standing.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I use the 150 eldx in my handloads for the Mighty -08. A bunch of bucks and one 5x6 bull. Nothing needed a second shot. My nephew kilt the bull and he put a couple of insurance shots in the bull because it was still standing.

Thanks, you getting exits on deer?
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/17/19
I find them extremely accurate and easy to load for. I've not put one into game yet, but there have been multiple posts here and on other hunting sites from those who have. As near as I can tell they behave just like any other cup and core bullet once they impact game. While they do expand more than some like they are all heavy for caliber and that ensures enough penetration. The lightest 30 caliber bullet they offer is 178 gr. I'd use it on anything I'd use a a 180 gr Ballistic Tip on.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/17/19
My 6.5CM's like it so well that I don't try to reload for them. Here's a thread that discusses the ammo:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rnady-143gr-eld-x-600-yards#Post14123602

Thanks, you getting exits on deer?

Every time.

DRT or darn close to it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/18/19
The 147 ELDs work excellent on deer at 2775 from the 6.5 Creed, but I’m just too chicken to run them into a bull.

Pharm, did the 150 ELD fly through the elk? Probably a good combo started pretty gentle from a 7-08.
My Sako 85 in 270 Win did not particularly like them, but still doing load development. Shot OK, but not anything to be happy about. No experience on game.
I used a 143 ELD-X on a caribou in 2018 at 375 lasered yards. One-shot was it. Recovered bullet on the offside hide was 117grains. The same bullet in my 6.5CM on an elk cow at 115 yards - slid down the hill in the snow. Pass-thru shot.
Range work with a Tikka, Kimber, and Barrett was all great.
The 150 eld x is bad medicine on deer in my 08.
There's a guy named Randy Selby that talks about the eld x.
Originally Posted by beretzs
The 147 ELDs work excellent on deer at 2775 from the 6.5 Creed, but I’m just too chicken to run them into a bull.

Pharm, did the 150 ELD fly through the elk? Probably a good combo started pretty gentle from a 7-08.

2790 mv. Three hits, all lower lung where the cavity is the most narrow. One broke a rib going out, all exited.

P
Posted By: edapp Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/18/19
Worked exactly like I hoped it would on 6 whitetail last year.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Opinions on the ELD-X Ammo - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by beretzs

2790 mv. Three hits, all lower lung where the cavity is the most narrow. One broke a rib going out, all exited.

P

Thanks Pharm. That's probably right in the sweet spot for that bullet to act pretty danged tough. If It'll fly through elks chest it is good enough for me.
© 24hourcampfire