Home
I have heard Tikka's praises sung here for years. It's tiring, if not nauseating, to see the fans fawn over the Finnish legend. I swore I'd never own one if for no other reason than the Sako shills are so ffuuking annoying.

Today I had a meeting with the State Wildlife and Fisheries brass up in Baton Rouge. My trip home takes me past Cabelas. I was bored enough and had shed enough of my self-respect to stop by and take a piss. They have clean bathrooms. Did you hear that Rural King? Bass Pro hasn't completely obliterated the worth of the Gun Library, so I took a peek.

Wait, what? Really? Yes the box is busted so we have it marked down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And just like that a 6.5 fudgepack followed me home.

...and in 6.5 CM!
Nice! I’ve got the same one... watch out, you may like it.
I already have a 257R, 2 more Creedmoors, a 6.5x55 and a 7mm-08. I did NOT need this gun. I will probably sell my Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor to make room for this one. It's no slouch, but it is no Tikka either.
Ooooh.... a 6.5 Creedmuah!
You realize Big Stick hates Tikka's? What in the hell have you gone and done??
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I didn't know the self-loathing dwarf hated Tikka. That just elevated their station with me.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I will probably sell my Savage Lightweight Hunter

oh my, that could not be a good idea
I've been toying with the idea of trying one myself. Wish they were that cheap up here but they sit a bit over 1K, which has caused me to hesitate. Now if you post some astonishing groups I'll be further down that road!
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

I am out of room and there's too much duplication.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I've been toying with the idea of trying one myself. Wish they were that cheap up here but they sit a bit over 1K, which has caused me to hesitate. Now if you post some astonishing groups I'll be further down that road!

I don't even know what the street prices are here. I just know for a busted box discount price of $569 it made one of my other 6.5s irrelevant/redundant.
You're gonna love that broken box special!!
Those that have indulged in the Tikka Kool-Aid tell me what you are doing for rings and bases. What are the grooves on the receiver?
keep us posted paul with your thoughts after a range day or 3.
Big Ed
Those that have indulged in the Tikka Kool-Aid tell me what you are doing for rings and bases. What are the grooves on the receiver?

My personal favorite now by a pretty wide margin, Sportsmatch TO84. He sells a ton of them, so they will be back in stock shortly I'd guess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-30mm-suits-TIKKA-15mm-dovetails-early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2/302359501564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Tikka in 223 8” twist or 6.5 Creedmoor + Sportsmatch TO84 rings + SWFA SS 6x or 3-9x scope + Adjust trigger + Remove barrel bumps

= easiest 600 yard gun ever.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

I am out of room and there's too much duplication.

Join the club. I would say buy another safe, but you are probably like the rest of us here that already have 4 or 5 stuffed full. Im starting to think about thinning down the herd, but dont know which ones to get rid of.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Tikka in 223 8” twist or 6.5 Creedmoor + Sportsmatch TO84 rings + SWFA SS 6x or 3-9x scope + Adjust trigger + Remove barrel bumps

I am not a gun savvy as a lot of folks here, so help me out a bit. What are barrel bumps and can an idiot remove them? I have shot enough to come to the conclusion that I am not as trigger sensitive as some folks. I like the trigger just as it is now. The worst trigger I have is on a Ruger 10/22 magnum. I have not measured it, but it has to be in the 10# range. Even with that I can get sub 1" groups at 100 yards with its preferred ammo. I am not completely averse to adjusting the trigger, since it is a hunting gun I am just going to give it a chance as is. Is it something that is easily done by an idiot?

I don't have a place to shoot 600 yards. I would like for the gun to be a great 400 yard gun. I am going to do an antelope hunt one day and would like a rig that I can be confident in at 400 yards. Sounds like I am on my way to having that rig.
Barrel Bumps are very easy to remove. Little bit of sanding and it’s done. The Sportsmatch rings are sweet as well. Trigger is REALLY easy to adjust but if you like it as is, shoot it a bit.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Barrel Bumps are very easy to remove. Little bit of sanding and it’s done. The Sportsmatch rings are sweet as well. Trigger is REALLY easy to adjust but if you like it as is, shoot it a bit.

What are barrel bumps and how do you remove them? I could probably google it and come up with an answer, but I'd rather benefit from the interaction.
Just in front of the action (2-3”) on the stock, there are two “bumps” that contact the barrel. A bit of sandpaper or a knife will remove than. Most T3’s shoot fine with them, some shoot better without. They all will shoot more consistent from different tests without them, so I remove as a matter of course.

The trigger is adjusted by backing out the screw that is just in front of the trigger, parrlell with the barrel. It will contact the screw that attaches the front of the trigger to the action. However, if you are good with it as is, no issue.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[quote=PaulBarnard]Those that have indulged in the Tikka Kool-Aid tell me what you are doing for rings and bases. What are the grooves on the receiver?

"My personal favorite now by a pretty wide margin, Sportsmatch TO84. He sells a ton of them, so they will be back in stock shortly I'd guess."

www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-3...early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2/302359501564?

Fixed it to click and play.

DF
Originally Posted by JGRaider

My personal favorite now by a pretty wide margin, Sportsmatch TO84. He sells a ton of them, so they will be back in stock shortly I'd guess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-30mm-suits-TIKKA-15mm-dovetails-early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2/302359501564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

JG and Form:

Also new to the Tikka game. Bought my son a lefty in 6.5 Creedmoor and working on rings too. What do you like about the Sportsmatch rings or how do they compare to Warne or Talley offerings? Do you prefer Sportsmatch ring mounts over a rail and rings?

Thanks
Scott
Just in front of the action (2-3”) on the stock, there are two “bumps” that contact the barrel. A bit of sandpaper or a knife will remove than. Most T3’s shoot fine with them, some shoot better without. They all will shoot more consistent from different tests without them, so I remove as a matter of course.

The trigger is adjusted by backing out the screw that is just in front of the trigger, parrlell with the barrel. It will contact the screw that attaches the front of the trigger to the action. However, if you are good with it as is, no issue.

Thanks for breaking it down where this idiot gets it!
A little like that Geico Insurance ad on TV.
Amazing!!!
The rifle?
No, the fact that they nick you 8.95% sales tax down there!
SWJ, I like the Warne's OK, but I find them a PITA to install, in that I don't like tightening the base first, then the top ring screw. I've always tightened rings like lug nuts on a wheel. I've also had more scope tubes marred with Warne's, by far, than anything else.

The Sportsmatch are very well made and easy to install right on the rail, like the Warne's, and they come with the lug which I like as well. They do not cause the scope to twist during installation at all, which drives me crazy when I get a reticle level, only to have ring tightening foul it up. Some may see these as minor complaints, but the SM's are way easier to deal with IME.

[Linked Image from i156.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i156.photobucket.com]
Thanks for the info on the Sportsmatch. I will order those. I am in no hurry as I don't need to press this rifle into service. The price on Ebay was in GBR dollars. How does that translate into our money.
+1 On the Sportsmatch rings. I just put this together a little over a month ago so not a lot of shooting with it set up as is yet, but I sure do like the way the rings mounted up and work so far. I had a set of DNZ's on this rifle before - the 2 piece ring/mounts sort of like a beefed up Talley, they are also good but I think I like this set-up more better:)

[Linked Image]

Looking good Oregonmuley.
Just ordered a set of Sportsmatch. Thanks for the tip!
If I bought a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor, the next purchase would have to be a mask to wear whenever I took it to the range. I managed to grit my teeth and chamber a couple barrels for the creedmoor but I mumble into my hand whenever anyone asks what I am shooting. At least you didn't buy a Savage. GD
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

From ebay? If so, what was the US price?
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

From ebay? If so, what was the US price?
I believe it was $44.89.
Paul,
You’re gonna look great in your flat brimmed hat, with Apple ear buds blazing Rap hip-hop music, doubling for hearing protection.
Pics once you’re new hunting clothes arrive from Amazon....Laffin 😎
I ordered my set of Sportsmatch straight from their website... it was a few dollars cheaper. Not sure if it is still this way.

I like Talleys, but the SM are far superior in this application in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Paul,
You’re gonna look great in your flat brimmed hat, with Apple ear buds blazing Rap hip-hop music, doubling for hearing protection.
Pics once you’re new hunting clothes arrive from Amazon....Laffin 😎

Don’t forget the skinny jeans, they are an integral part of the 6.5 outfit. 😉🤪

The 1 in8 22/250 does it for me
77 TMK at 3200 FPS is spectacular
Last weekend at 470 yards
He dropped like a rock
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SWJ
What do you like about the Sportsmatch rings or how do they compare to Warne or Talley offerings? Do you prefer Sportsmatch ring mounts over a rail and rings?

Thanks
Scott

Durability, low mounting height, weight, simplicity.

They utilize Tikkas grooved receiver, eliminating a set of screws and a part (rail/base). They have a recoil pin which aids in zero retention through impacts. They mount the scope lower than any pic rail and ring combo, while being lighter and simpler. Overall they are the most rugged way to mount a scope on a T3.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

He dropped like a rock
[Linked Image]

75gr+ bullets driven at 22-250 speeds is a whole other performance spectrum.
He dropped like a rock
[Linked Image]

What does your rifle setup weigh as it sits in the picture?
Thanks JG and Form, exactly the info I was looking for...
I have the exact same rifle, it is a shooter!

Leupold dual dovetails on mine
Originally Posted by 338rcm
I have the exact same rifle, it is a shooter!

Leupold dual dovetails on mine

Mine too. Looks great and accurate as hell..
Is it a lightweight?
If so you could call it the " broke box mountain" rifle
Originally Posted by hookeye
Is it a lightweight?
If so you could call it the " broke box mountain" rifle

That'd go well with my skinny jeans.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
He dropped like a rock
[Linked Image]

What does your rifle setup weigh as it sits in the picture?

With sling , 3-9 Super Sniper ( I love calling it that), Sportsmatch mounts and a full mag, 8 lb 2 oz
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I have no need for one.. but if I was in the market for another rifle... that would be ONE HELL of big selling feature
or motivation to take the plunge....
There doesn’t seem to be a better set up than a 6.5CM T3, Sportsmatch rings, and 3x9 SWFA.
Are the Sportsmatch available in 1" medium or low rings? I didn't see any. I have a nice Cabelas branded Meopta scope I want to use.
Are the Sportsmatch available in 1" medium or low rings? I didn't see any. I have a nice Cabelas branded Meopta scope I want to use.

TO48C
TO48 are a bit high unfortunately, they don’t do a low 1 inch ring set
I went ahead and got some Talley's so I could mount up the Cabelas Meopta. I like the way it feels. My scale is showing my all in weight at about 7.8 lbs. I shaved down the barrel bumps. For now I am going to leave the trigger where it is. The action screws were not very tight. What are the torque specs for them?

Those Sportsmatch are nice rings.

Been wanting a Tikka excuse since my SIL showed me his rifle.

Holding out for a Tikka 22 Creed 1:7...:)
I think Berreta recommends 51-53 inch pounds for action screws on T3x synthetic stocks but i run 40 on my Tikka's and they shoot fine....good luck at the range 👍....Hb
Nice looking set up Paul. Our sales tax up here is 10.44% so you did get a deal. Just wondering if Tikka is still using the plastic bolt shroud?
Looks pretty good.

What’s the first thing you have to run through it?
Originally Posted by Joe
Nice looking set up Paul. Our sales tax up here is 10.44% so you did get a deal. Just wondering if Tikka is still using the plastic bolt shroud?

Joe, I really can't tell if it's aluminum or plastic.
I can't remember the action torque specs and am too lazy to go downstairs to look for the owners manual but the specs are in the manual.

drover
I just rolled up 40 rounds. It'll be a while before I get to shoot it. Work is taking me to Anchorage for a while.
Originally Posted by Joe

I believe the T3x models use an aluminum shroud.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Looks pretty good.

What’s the first thing you have to run through it?

I missed this earlier. I cranked out 20 rounds of 130gr Accubonds motivated by 42 grains of H4350. Starline brass and Federal LR primers. I'll use that to get it sighted in and seasoned, then piddle a bit more with charge and depth. It would not surprise me at all if this load was a home run. I will probably gravitate to heavier for caliber bullets for this rifle and stay with the 130s for my 6.5x55.
yep t3x is aluminum.t3 was plastic. i dial all my tikkas action screws to 40-45in lbs.
good luck and let us know if you get turned into a tikkaphile,
Big Ed
© 24hourcampfire