Home
Posted By: RTSJ Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Time to spin a new tube on my custom 264. It’s finally toast after almost 1000 rounds. So now to decide what to pick. 6.5PRC, 6.54S, 7SAUM or 7WSM. I do reload so factory Ammo doesn’t mean squat. I have a pile of other rifles from 243-300Rum so this is a want not a need. Either wanting to run the 147eldm or 156 Berger in a 6.5 or the 175 or 195 Berger in a 7. Wanting to run suppressed so around 22” max barrel length(really would like 20”). What contour Hawk Hill or Bartlein would I need to hotness the .725 mark at 20-22”? What say u? Help me make this life altering decision! Lol

Thanks Roy
For a long action why re-barrel to a bunch of short action cartridges? The 26 or 28 Nosler look like obvious choices.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
For a long action why re-barrel to a bunch of short action cartridges? The 26 or 28 Nosler look like obvious choices.

I honestly don’t want a barrel burner. That is the main reason! Really leaning toward the PRC.

Roy
Posted By: Sheister Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Why not the old fashioned 6.5-06? Sorry, forgot it is a magnum bolt face.

I would stick with a longer cartridge also for feeding . Quite often short cartridges don't feed well in long actions.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Sheister
Why not the old fashioned 6.5-06?

Have a mag bolt face.

Roy
Posted By: micky Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Just to be a tart, 7x61 S&H
6.5 Rem Magnum? I'd go with a 22" instead of a 20".You can always cut it down,but you can't add. This cartridge may be coming back to life.I bet it would be great with a 26" barrel. https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-remington-magnum/

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5+Remington+Magnum.html
Posted By: hanco Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/21/19
Why not go back with a new 264 barrel?
.270 WBY or 7mm WBY or 300 Win or the list could go on and on since so may rounds wee bases off the H&H case.
Currently having a 308 Norma rebarreled as a 264. Like ships passing in the night.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/22/19
Got to thinking about this, a 270 Weatherby would be awesome if you don’t have one.
The answer depends entirely on what you plan to use the rifle for. Hunting, target shooting?
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Time to spin a new tube on my custom 264. It’s finally toast after almost 1000 rounds. So now to decide what to pick. 6.5PRC, 6.54S, 7SAUM or 7WSM. I do reload so factory Ammo doesn’t mean squat. I have a pile of other rifles from 243-300Rum so this is a want not a need. Either wanting to run the 147eldm or 156 Berger in a 6.5 or the 175 or 195 Berger in a 7. Wanting to run suppressed so around 22” max barrel length(really would like 20”). What contour Hawk Hill or Bartlein would I need to hotness the .725 mark at 20-22”? What say u? Help me make this life altering decision! Lol

Thanks Roy

Bullets matter wayyyyy more than headstamps. Booger tries,but misses by miles. The 156 EOL pales to the 147 ELD and the 195 EOL,pales to the 180 ELD. Fhuqking stupid to add zooky mass,just to lose BC. Hint.

I'd personally not wish to drive a .532" boltface L/A,to squirt through a can.Nor would I want a S/A round in same. Pass the 20" 7-08 with the .796BC 180 ELD at 2600fps,as there's far less gas to cool,COAL is a breeze in multiple fashions(I'd be driving binderless AICS DBM),you reap more rounds in the belly,recoil is obviously reduced,Precision is bolstered ala ES/SD Tritetitude...and schit that is actually FUN to fhuqking shoot,tends to actually get fhuqking used. Hint.

The parcel gets friendlier/handier and the "concessions" are nil.

With a 200yd zero in this morning's atmosphere at low tide,it's a modest 8.2 Mils to the 1000yd line,with but 1.5 Mils of windage correction at same,in a 10mph full value influx. It's supersonic beyond the 1760yd line and all dots are connected by default. Reticle alone reaches the 1130yd line at 1505fps impact velocity and 905 ft lbs of "energy". Hint.

Pass the Alpha brass,'17 and a M5 DBM Smooch and hold the Fluff.

Thank me later.

Hint............................
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
The answer depends entirely on what you plan to use the rifle for. Hunting, target shooting?

It will be a hunting rifle but I do enjoy ringing steel out to 1k.

Roy
Let's see,
You already have brass, bullets, dies in 264.
You want a reasonably fast chamberings that will push 6.5 bullets.

I'd go 264.
If it were me, I would be looking at one of the 7mm offerings. Specifically, a 7mm-300WSM sounds like fun. You should be able to load it quite long in that action.

As much as it pains me to agree with BS, the 162 ELD-X, 175 ELD-X and 180 ELD-M are great bullets and are hard to beat.
Originally Posted by hanco
Got to thinking about this, a 270 Weatherby would be awesome if you don’t have one.

My all time favorite magnum cartridge. Hasbeen
Posted By: szihn Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/23/19
If you like a shorter barrel a larger bore is going to be easier to burn powder in.
A 338 comes to mind.
It's not necessary to load hot and a 338 will have better bore life then the smaller sizes.
You CLUELESS Fhuqking Retards never disappoint,when doing your best. Congratulations?!?

The 270 Ratherbee is an EPIC Goat Fhuqk,as are all things .277",due boolits. Hint.

The Booger 170EOL is the best pitch in the bore size and is hilarious,from any/all angles...with it's .662 BC and superfluous mass. Be sure to run it at 2900fps ala Ratherbee,against the "pedestrian" 20" 7-08/180 at 2600fps and be sure to take a picture of your crossed-eyes and gaping maw,as dots connect obliviously. Hint. LAUGHING!

I shoot the 180 at 2900fps,in a couple/few S/A 24" 7 Whizzum's and it's a literal Giant Killer,but said chambering has no place(or "advantage" in a L/A). 'Course the Donor action has yet to be cited,which is funny in itself,though RPM,throat geometry and COAL latitude are THE heartbeat of any/all rifle(s). Hint.

Humor Points Awarded for the "vaunted" "soft loaded" 338Win,by THE Clueless Fhuqk.

You gals are on fire today!

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/23/19
Stick it’s a 80’s model 700 LH long action that started life as a 270(my first rifle at age 12). Had the bolt face opened up and a sako extractor installed to build the 264. Has the factory BDL bottom metal.

Roy
Rather nice way to fly...due the mechanics inherent a 700 L/A's COAL latitude.

IF bound/determined to keep rolling a L/A .532",the 7mm Rem Mag is your Huckleberry and there's nothing better in said platform. The 180 ELD and it's .796BC at 2900fps with a 24" spout,will do it all and then some. It's a rather good trade for INCREDIBLE Performance/Precision,to Recoil Ratio. Got 'em,shoot 'em,love 'em.

Now that being said,for the application(s) you cite,I'd never steer anyone(nor myself),to a .532" L/A. I shoot 7-08 and 7-08AI far more than I do other rifles of the bore size,wearing greater case capacity(of which I have a herd). I again would default to Facts and Physics,in that there is far less gas for the can to cool,you gain round count in the belly,recoil is MUCH reduced,one gains "unfair" advantages in being able to catch trace/impact far better and then you reap the rewards of actual trigger time,frosting that cake. ES/SD was cited prior and killer brass don't hurt such equations(Alpha).

Go 7-08 at 20" and never fhuqking look back,while setting the 264 on the shelf.

Thank me later.

Hint......................
Posted By: drover Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by RTSJ

Thanks Roy

Dance with the one who brought you.

Why not go with another 264 Mag, you already have dies, components and know the trajectory of it so no learning curve there. Unless you are just wanting a change I do not see a downside to staying with another 264, certainly nothing you mentioned is going to be any great leap in performance over it.

drover
Posted By: Sheister Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/23/19
Either rebuild it as a 264 WM or a 26 Nosler- not a real lot of difference in them... or sell it and build a 7-08 as Stick is alluding to. I shoot my non magnum rifles a heck of a lot more than my big magnums for obvious reasons and the results show after a while... especially in the field where it counts... BC counts when you're reaching out ...
Drover,

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you see your first 180 ELD. Then start another,after you shoot your first one. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Until then,be CERTAIN to use your Imagination and Pretend,to guess as you must. The only thing you "shoot' is your mouth. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

Laughing!.......................

Bob,

Just had Greg fling a 1-8.7" Bart 7mm MTU spout to The Kali Kid,for THE Incredible Hulk build and his new MAGICAL Reamer. I reckon it'll be nothin' shy of spectacular,with me driving.(grin)

264Win and 26 Nuzzler "performance",certainly don't aspook a "lowly" 20" 7-08,especially in the wind.

Less is soooooooo very fhuqking often,wayyyyyyyyy more.

Thank me later.

Hint...............................
Posted By: Sheister Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/23/19
Well, I know my shoulder would thank me after a day of working up a load in the 26 Nosler. Got a good one now, but paid the price at the bench.... wink Curious to see how it is going to do on deer and elk this week and next month.....

Been out chasing Sitka blacktails yet? Haven't seen any new pics...

Bob
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rather nice way to fly...due the mechanics inherent a 700 L/A's COAL latitude.

IF bound/determined to keep rolling a L/A .532",the 7mm Rem Mag is your Huckleberry and there's nothing better in said platform. The 180 ELD and it's .796BC at 2900fps with a 24" spout,will do it all and then some. It's a rather good trade for INCREDIBLE Performance/Precision,to Recoil Ratio. Got 'em,shoot 'em,love 'em.

Now that being said,for the application(s) you cite,I'd never steer anyone(nor myself),to a .532" L/A. I shoot 7-08 and 7-08AI far more than I do other rifles of the bore size,wearing greater case capacity(of which I have a herd). I again would default to Facts and Physics,in that there is far less gas for the can to cool,you gain round count in the belly,recoil is MUCH reduced,one gains "unfair" advantages in being able to catch trace/impact far better and then you reap the rewards of actual trigger time,frosting that cake. ES/SD was cited prior and killer brass don't hurt such equations(Alpha).

Go 7-08 at 20" and never fhuqking look back,while setting the 264 on the shelf.

Thank me later.

Hint......................

Tag. Very nice.
Bob,

It's a rather tragic and unfortunate consequence,that this Global Warming thing is real and all of my stomping grounds have withered up,dried and burnt up.

Didn't see a fhuqking thing all day and had to reflect on days of old. Wicked good Pun,be intended.(grin)

Hope the video made it to you. I've a "hunch" that I prolly got some fair Still Pixels from these last few days.

Hint.............................(grin)
IMy Savage 7mm RM has a crap barrel that is rusted inside and out. It was picked up used for the action and stock with the intent to rebarrel to 6.5 PRC.

The longer I think about it, a .264 WM makes more sense.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Rebarrel my 264mag to???? - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Bob,

It's a rather tragic and unfortunate consequence,that this Global Warming thing is real and all of my stomping grounds have withered up,dried and burnt up.

Didn't see a fhuqking thing all day and had to reflect on days of old. Wicked good Pun,be intended.(grin)

Hope the video made it to you. I've a "hunch" that I prolly got some fair Still Pixels from these last few days.

Hint.............................(grin)

Got the video, thanks. Are you hunting up on the slope, or just showing off? wink Are you going to make it home in time for Sitka blacktail season? Just got home last week from an Alaskan Cruise with some friends. Just made me want to move up there....

Bob
Bob,

Blacktails are too purty to shoot and that'd be flat mean. You boys get to have all the fun and I'm sad...that I only get 6 months of vacation a year.

Couldn't catch him bumping heads yesterday,but it froze last night,so there will be more intent and mebbe I'll catch some light.

Film at 11:00 and some day I might buy a camera......................(grin)

Flipside.

Crisp/clear this AM,with a goodly freeze. Crazy pastel daybreak light and there are a few victims.

Be nice to watch a 7-08 launched 180 skip along the surface of the offside water,for maximum dramatic affect. The 264 Win Mag and 264 PRICK notions,remain fhuqking hilarious.

Hint.............................

© 24hourcampfire