Home
Posted By: viking 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/21/19
Well I ordered one today. I am having a VX3 4.5x14 installed. Something to play with. I might shoot the 140 Berger load in it.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/21/19
What rifle?
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/21/19
Vanguard, Badlands edition.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/21/19
I have a 26 Nosler, I resisted the urge for a 6.5x300 Weatherby. So faršŸ˜
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Is there much difference? I never looked at the 26.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Think the 26 lacks a belt. Only belted cartridge I load for is a 300 Win Mag. Not sure what the fuss is about with belts. I havenā€™t had any issues with them.
Originally Posted by viking
Vanguard, Badlands edition.

Let us know how it shoots. Are you going to be reloading for it?
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Maybe some year.

Heck in reality anymore, I might only shoot 2-3 boxes in a year.
Maybe some year.

Heck in reality anymore, I might only shoot 2-3 boxes in a year.

That will be good for your barrel life at least.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
I love mine...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload album
Posted By: Justahunter Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
I have the Vanguard Wilderness model in 6.5-300 WBY. Iā€™ve killed a black bear and buck with it. Have shot it a bit now... My feelings on it are.... Weatherby came out with a different super 6.5 for a reason. I wish I would have went with a 26 Nosler. Iā€™m excited for the new weatherby chambering.

Todd
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by Judman
I love mine...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload album

Wicked picture and rifle. What are you shooting from it Jud

Originally Posted by Justahunter
I have the Vanguard Wilderness model in 6.5-300 WBY. Iā€™ve killed a black bear and buck with it. Have shot it a bit now... My feelings on it are.... Weatherby came out with a different super 6.5 for a reason. I wish I would have went with a 26 Nosler. Iā€™m excited for the new weatherby chambering.

Todd

Why do you say that? My little brother just got one. Pretty accurate so far with the 127 LRX Wby ammo.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Is there much difference? I never looked at the 26.

Not much. Edge goes to the Wby, Pretty close.

I use 869 powder in my 26 with 120 TTSX or E-Tip and 140 NAB, loaded for my hunting bud, who also has one.

DF
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
87 GR rl33 WITH 127 lrx 3530 AND WELL UNDER 1"
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Weatherby came out with a different super 6.5 for a reason. I wish I would have went with a 26 Nosler. Iā€™m excited for the new weatherby chambering.

Todd

Please expand upon and explain the three points, above, if you donā€™t mind. Thanks.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Scotty, Iā€™m runnin the factory 140 sp, tried the factory 127ā€™s, looked like I shot the target with a shotgun!!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Got a box of 130 siroccos Iā€™m gonna try this week. Hereā€™s what the 140 sp did to that antelope last year.šŸ¤™
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to upload photos in internet
Damn, they are tough on meat!

Looking forward to what you think of the 130 Swift. Big fan of the Swiftā€™s on animals.
Posted By: Justahunter Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Weatherby came out with a different super 6.5 for a reason. I wish I would have went with a 26 Nosler. Iā€™m excited for the new weatherby chambering.

Todd

Please expand upon and explain the three points, above, if you donā€™t mind. Thanks.

They are inconsistent and extremely touchy to load for. I got mine dialed in but it wasnā€™t for the faint of heart. I love to load but I donā€™t really enjoy the 6.5-300... I did at first but the COAL is .001ā€ different from the rest, youā€™ll see a 4ā€ swing in zero at 100 yards. I wonder why weatherby themselves developed their new super 6.5 that is very similar to the 26 Nosler. My good buddy runs the Xbolt in 26 Nosler and doesnā€™t experience the same unforgivness.

That said, when tuned in and sorted they are extreme zappers.

Todd
Scotty, Iā€™m runnin the factory 140 sp, tried the factory 127ā€™s, looked like I shot the target with a shotgun!!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Got a box of 130 siroccos Iā€™m gonna try this week. Hereā€™s what the 140 sp did to that antelope last year.šŸ¤™

Yep, they be a tad hard on meat...

Tougher bullet may help, but even monos tear up stuff. This pig ran into a fast 120 TTSX out of my 26 Nos. Ruined his day and both shoulders.

Second photo, what's left of a pig's heart, same treatment.

I've learned that you really don't need all that K.E. to kill a pig. Don't have to blow them up to kill them... blush

But, it was kinda fun... grin

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yep, they be a tad hard on meat...

Tougher bullet may help, but even monos tear up stuff. This pig ran into a fast 120 TTSX out of my 26 Nos. Ruined his day and both shoulders.

Second photo, what's left of a pig's heart, same treatment.

I've learned that you really don't need all that K.E. to kill a pig. Don't have to blow them up to kill them... blush

But, it was kinda fun... grin

DF

Heck yea DF! Thatā€™s destructive but then again, there probably isnā€™t any bullet at those speeds which will be meat friendly.
beretzs, I think you're right. If you hit a thin skin animal, or even a hog, at hyper velocity, stuff's gonna fly, even with a solid mono.

I think hyper velocity rounds are good for long range, fighting wind, etc. With turrets and range finders, you really don't need all that speed to reach way out there, except for cross wind. Getting there quicker is the best way to beat the wind, at least for a hunter without wind flags, etc.

A few years ago, I was shooting an 80 gr TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240 Wby. I shot a doe at 125 yds. I got a LOT of cavitation as they call it, but all outside the chest cavity. Had to find her in the woods at night with flashlights. Very little tissue damage inside the chest cavity, mostly a pass thru..

The S.D. on that bullet is less than .2.

So, on game it seems one has to balance bullet construction, even the S.D. with velocity for the acceptable terminal performance.

DF

Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
Which begs the question, are these rounds really worth having if youā€™re not shooting at animals 500 yards away?

30/30 it is!
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
beretzs, I think you're right. If you hit a thin skin animal, or even a hog, at hyper velocity, stuff's gonna fly, even with a solid mono.

I think hyper velocity rounds are good for long range, fighting wind, etc. With turrets and range finders, you really don't need all that speed to reach way out there, except for cross wind. Getting there quicker is the best way to beat the wind, at least for a hunter without wind flags, etc.

A few years ago, I was shooting an 80 gr TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240 Wby. I shot a doe at 125 yds. I got a LOT of cavitation as they call it, but all outside the chest cavity. Had to find her in the woods at night with flashlights. Very little tissue damage inside the chest cavity, mostly a pass thru..

So, on game it seems one has to balance bullet construction, even the S.D. with velocity for the acceptable terminal performance.

DF

Whoever thought we would have to worry about bullets failing(by that I mean less than ideal performance) because they hit the target so fast that they donā€™t have time to expand in the target. Haha.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
Jesus Christ, ā€œhuntingā€ for ā€œmeatā€ stopped back in the 70ā€™s..... hint

Do love the meat hunters though!!! Haha
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19

DF

For sure DF, no exactly correct answer. Iā€™ve seen elk [bleep] with the 7 Mashburn torn up real bad from a 175 BBC at 200 yards. All Of the fast movers can hurt the eating parts. Iā€™d think the monks or Swift Scirocco types would keep it as minimal as possible.

I guess we will keep having to hunt things and get to the truth!
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
What reloading companies have data ?
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
Viking, 6.5 stw, 6.5 weatherby has been around for years.... run it, smash shiit, collect bone... itā€™s that simple... it will flat crush shiit...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/23/19
What reloading companies have data ?

The 6.5-300 Wby round is actually quite old, as from the early '70's. It was known as the WWH, Weatherby, Wright, Hoyer.

So, you can Google the 6.5-300 WWH for data, although they'd be using vintage powder, same issue I have with Water's Pet Loads. Great info, just dated.

You may want to start with 26 Nosler data. Those two are pretty close, the Wby having slightly more capacity, IIRC. So, 26 Nos loads should be a safe starting point for the Wby.

In my 26 Nos, I like 869. It seems slow enough to perform really well. I also use 872, a Vulcan pull down powder sold by Jeff Bartlett. It's much cheaper and I see no difference. I get the same velocities with the same bullets and same charges, both powders. Give Jeff a call; he knows his stuff. https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

DF
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/25/19
Thanks for the information.DF
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/28/19
I picked up the package today, and two boxes of A frames.

Now to shoot it sometime soon.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/28/19
Nice let us know how she does
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/28/19
Itā€™s a beast, that needs to be harnessed. I just shot 6 rounds a little while ago. Got it on paper is all. I need to have a better rest..other then a Chevy hood.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/29/19
How is the recoil?
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/29/19
7 magish....
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby - 09/29/19
I would say recoil is brisk, very fast. Like a 300 WM with 150ā€™s. This load is supposed to be almost 3400fps (140).

I swear I saw flames one timešŸ˜‚
© 24hourcampfire