Home
Posted By: Ky221 Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/02/19
Has anyone replaced the stock on the mark II boat paddle? What did you go with and do you have pics?

I have one in 300WM, and would really like a different stock. The sling swivels are a touch noisy and lets just say it’s pretty lively in its current form....
Posted By: 308ld Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/02/19
I have a 308 Ruger Hawkeye All Weather. The Ruger Hawkeye and MK II stocks are interchangeable. The Hawkeye All Weather stock, in my opinion, is a very nice stock with a soft recoil pad. Much softer than the boat paddle hard rubber. Even with the mild 308, the difference in recoil from the bench is very noticeable between the All Weather and Zytel stock. I'm staying with the Full Zytel vs the Skeleton/Boat Paddle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have no experience with after market stocks.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/02/19
I have used McMillan, Classic and Hunter models on Mark II's and Hawkeyes, from 223 through 416 Ruger. The McMillan Classic is my personal favorite.

I do have have some H-S Precision for a couple of 375 and 416 Rugers. The fore end seems a bit fatter than the McMillan. But I rather like it on the above 338's.

I agree, to me the all-weather stock is a better feeling and looking stock than the boat paddle. It is probably plenty stiff and tough for the 338's and under that they put them on.
I will say, that I doubt that any composite is tougher than the Ruger boat paddle. I would have no issue with them, if length of pull could be reduced and a Decelerator pad added in the usual method.
Posted By: 35 Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by Ky221
Has anyone replaced the stock on the mark II boat paddle? What did you go with and do you have pics?

I have one in 300WM, and would really like a different stock. The sling swivels are a touch noisy and lets just say it’s pretty lively in its current form....

I replaced the boat paddle stock on my 300 Win. with an OEM Ruger laminated stock.
It took some of the bite out of it.
Try finding a Ruger laminated Hawkeye stock as they have checkering.
Good luck, 35

I’ve replaced all my boat paddle stocks with the new Hawkeye stocks, 3 synthetic and 2 walnut. I like the rifles much better now.
I have a Boyd’s thumb hole stock that I had on my Whelen, went back to the boat paddle .
The Boyd’s is a pepper laminate.
I figured you'd be going for wood as a replacement. Some nice Boyd's walnut maybe?
Posted By: SKane Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/02/19
and lets just say it’s pretty lively in its current form....

laugh

That was always my take on them in nearly any chambering.
I can generally appreciate (and understand) the nuances on why folks like certain things but the love affair with those stocks is not one of them. grin
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/03/19
I’ve got plenty of walnut and blued steel rifles. Walnut and stainless never really tripped my trigger.

Thinking of going with the all weather stock.
A limbsaver to replace the boat paddle pad works wonders.
I used a Richards Microfit laminate semi-finished on a Mk2 Hawkeye.
If you have a long action, the lightest top-quality replacement with great ergos is the Bansner/High Tech.

Otherwise, Micky Classic, but it won't be as light.

The new Hawkeye factory plastic stock is very good in its own right.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/03/19
I went Micky on my 06. It's a good bit heavier than the boat paddle but the rifle is only 6 ounces more than my shorter barreled African in .308.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com][/URL][/img]
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
A limbsaver to replace the boat paddle pad works wonders.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^ Limbsavers really make a difference.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 10/07/19
A camo Brown Precision Kevlar Pounder went on my Mk ll. Made it into just a hair over 7# with a 30mm 1.5-6x42 scope.
I got the Hawkeye synthetic stock from Ruger. Much better, IMO, than the boat paddle. It just never felt right in my hands, and I hated the way a sling had to attach. Swivel studs are much better and allow bipod attachment. To each his own. I haven’t replaced the boat paddle on my 223 yet, but it’s coming soon.
The sling swivels are a touch noisy and lets just say it’s pretty lively in its current form....

Same for my old 35 Whelen which was in a boat-paddle stock. 250's at 2,500 really got your attention.

Okie John
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 11/29/19
Can the Ruger laminates be purchased from Ruger as a replacement ??
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Ruger Boat Paddle restock - 11/29/19
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I went Micky on my 06. It's a good bit heavier than the boat paddle but the rifle is only 6 ounces more than my shorter barreled African in .308.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com][/URL][/img]

Who makes this stock?
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Who makes this stock?

Mcmillan
© 24hourcampfire