Home
Posted By: 35 New model Ruger Hawkeye Hunter - 10/02/19
Ruger finally came out with a satin stainless steel model !!
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeHunter/models.html
I`ll be waiting for a 270 !
Interesting, it comes threaded with a 20moa rail and 5r barrel. I like that 20" 308 and of course they made a creedmore. I wonder what real world prices will be.
Posted By: 35 Re: New model Ruger Hawkeye Hunter - 10/02/19
Yes the 308 looks interesting!
I`m guessing $750 - $850.
I don`t see that the Ruger rings are included frown
The Rings are one of the reasons I like the Rugers !
Posted By: 35 Re: New model Ruger Hawkeye Hunter - 10/02/19
The best price that I got on the Gun Genie was $889 for the 308.
This kind of annoys me. Not the rifles, but the fact that if they can offer this, why don't they offer the standard Hawkeye in stainless? I don't have a use for either a threaded barrel or a 20 MOA rail on a Ruger Hawkeye.
Originally Posted by 35

Have to take the base off and buy your Ruger rings.
I'm pretty much an old Luddite, but could go for one of these. 20" is a good length for a rifle to be carried a lot. The rail reflects current tastes and trends, and makes positioning a scope easier. I can easily ignore the threaded lump on the end of the barrel.

Only question is whether the stock comb is high enough for a good cheek weld. Rugers are often a bit low for me and the rail may add to that unless they raised the comb.

I like it pretty well, but am pretty rifled up. Hawkeyes are, IMO, overall the best of the 77 series.

Edit: Ooh! 5R rifling! And back to the satin SS that most seem to prefer.
Originally Posted by Goosey
This kind of annoys me. Not the rifles, but the fact that if they can offer this, why don't they offer the standard Hawkeye in stainless? I don't have a use for either a threaded barrel or a 20 MOA rail on a Ruger Hawkeye.

Agree w the threaded barrel although it is becoming more common these days on a lot of rifles.
Ruger used to have the stainless laminate Hawkeye. They were matte finish (albeit native stainless). Is this one different?
I like it. I’d dump the rail but I like it.
I’d rather have the Hawkeye Predator, with the laminate, mag contour 22-24” barrel, and target trigger. They are about the same money.
For $899? Probably push me to a Montana or 70.
Ruger also makes the Long Range Hunter in 6.5 PRC. Brown painted laminate, LC6, rail, threaded, AND AICS mags....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
That’s a right handsome rifle.
except for those frigging stock spacers, maybe....
Originally Posted by JPro
I’d rather have the Hawkeye Predator, with the laminate, mag contour 22-24” barrel, and target trigger. They are about the same money.

And a full pound heavier, if that matters.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Ruger also makes the Long Range Hunter in 6.5 PRC. Brown painted laminate, LC6, rail, threaded, AND AICS mags....

I dig that one!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by JPro

And a full pound heavier, if that matters.

Possibly a pound, with it mostly being in the barrel contour and the extra couple inches of tube length. The laminate vs walnut won't shave much weight, as Ruger has started trimming their laminates pretty hard to get them down around 35oz. I'd be surprised if the walnut is more than 4oz lighter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Either way, I'm glad to see some new stainless Hawkeye offerings. Love that target trigger they use on some models.

This was shots # 3,4,5 out of a new Hawkeye .308 a couple months ago (100yds). I haven't gotten around to tinkering with it or loading for it, as the weather has been too hot, but it looks promising.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Ruger used to have the stainless laminate Hawkeye. They were matte finish (albeit native stainless). Is this one different?

Walnut stock and a dog nut on the end of the barrel where it's threaded.
I bought the new All-Weather stock for my Predator thinking it might trim a few oz, but no dice. Very good rifles, great triggers. A little moly grease on the contact surfaces slicked it up no end.

Mine goes to my son as soon as he gets his DL updated. I'm going light these days.
Originally Posted by tzone
I like it. I’d dump the rail but I like it.

This ^

Pass me a 308 please.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 35

Have to take the base off and buy your Ruger rings.

It looks like the rails mount to the standard Ruger cut-outs so I'm sure all you'd have to do is fire off an e-mail to Ruger and ask them to trade you a set of rings in return for sending the rail back to them. They do it already for new unused rings, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it for the rail as well.
The rail is D&T'ed on.......
Posted By: 35 Re: New model Ruger Hawkeye Hunter - 10/03/19
The rail is D&T'ed on.......

It appears to be.
I was hoping it clamped into the ring slots.

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Ruger-Hawkeye-Hunter-Rifle-Right.jpg
That doesn't get it done for me at all. How many people are using their barrel threads on a hunting rifle? If surveyed, how many hunters would opt for stainless walnut over stainless synthetic in a hunting gun? We had a proliferation of synthetic for a reason right?

It seems to me that Ruger would have been better served offering the rifle in a normal barrel synthetic with the low polish stainless from their model 77 days.
Overall, I like it, and I think Ruger is headed in the right direction. Suppressing hunting rifles is getting more and more common, and flaring the end of the barrel is the right way to go about setting up a reasonably light hunting rifle. You get the benefits of the lighter weight profile while still getting a standard thread size at the end (usually 5/8x24), and a large shoulder for the can to lock up against. A lot of companies are trying to get by with smaller non-standard threads, and crappy small diameter shoulders that cause cans to constantly work their way loose. It's nice to see Ruger join Barrett in doing it right.

A few things I think they missed the mark on:

1) Hardwood on a stainless utility rifle.... why? Just go with a lighter weight, stiff polymer stock as found on the Tikkas and Kimber Hunters and be done with it.

2) The barrels are too long. The only reason to have those nice big threads on the end is for a can... Most folks don't want or need their suppressed hunting rifles to have 22"-24" barrels. The barrel lengths should have been 20" tops for 6.5, .30-06 and .300 WM, 18" tops for the .308 (6.5 would probably be best at this length as well).

3) Weight, these rifles are fairly chunky (like the vast majority of M77s), they'll be even chunkier with 2 lbs of can, rings and scope mounted. ~1 lb lighter should have been the goal.

I really wish Tikka would bring out a T3x, or Kimber would bring out a Hunter with the same barrel profile (although shorter lengths). Unfortunately, Tikka is asleep at the wheel in terms of tracking consumer trends lately, and Kimber doesn't seem to be interested in expanding their Hunter line beyond token stock and paint color changes.
The only thing Ruger would need to keep my happy is to offer the african in some other non magnum calibers. Would keeping the 7x57 kill them?
huntsman22,

How is that 6.5 PRC shooting for you?
He took it to 1250 last week...
Do the regular Hawkeye 77's need the bottom of the receiver milled to use AICS mags?
Can I drop that 20" .308 barreled action into Rugers synthetic Scout stock and the have the magazine work?
A 20" barrel suits me better than 16.5" and flash hider.

22 inch barrel ?

chrono results ?
There is a work-around to milling the action, if you don't mind notching your mags..... Dremel out the rear 'ears' on the back of aics mags and everything works great.

© 24hourcampfire