Home
Posted By: djb 350 Legend report - 10/04/19
About 3 weeks ago I was at the range and picked up an odd looking piece on brass. Headstamp was 350 Legend, I had never heard of it and don’t read Gun Press much except here, but figured it was a Mid-West compliant straight wall deer cartridge. Did a little research and picked up my first Ruger American (Predator w/ 22 in barrel). I thought I wanted the Ranch model but the balance with 16 in barrel was very butt heavy and awkward for 1 hand carry. I cleaned off the packing goop and scrubbed the bore with JB bore paste to prep for applying some Dyna Bore Coat. Up on inspection of the muzzle I noticed a series of gouges in in the rifling about ½ down the barrel. I assume this was probably damage from a pilot when they threaded the muzzle. I wasn’t happy but thought I shoot it before calling Ruger.

I mounted an old Vari-x II 3X9 scope in Burris rings and headed to the range for an initial zero and to cure the Dyna Bore Coat. I didn't take my chrony, and wish I had. Took two shots at 25 yd to rough zero before moving to 100. Shot two groups with Win 145 FMJ target loads; BTW, they were dirt cheap at $11 for a box of 20. These groups were about 2-2.5 inches strung horizontally, not bad and about what I expected/hoped for. I then switched to the Win 180 Power Point and Hornady 170 Whitetail load. Again the rifle was only roughly sighted, and the Hornady 170 shot about 2 inches left of either Win load. Here is the target.

[Linked Image]

The name is silly, and Winchester doesn’t have a great track record recently, but I’m pleasantly surprised with the chambering and accuracy. This isn’t a game-changer for many parts of the country. Many 'experts' have their complaints about the execution or brass/bullet dimensions, but for a Midwest deer hunter this is a dream come true. Of course it's new so has to be given the Creedmore treatment. Recoil is very soft as is the noise. It’s like shooting a heavy barrel 243 w/o the muzzle blast. The Ruger is rough as a cob, but shoots well. A Howa or CZ 452 mini mauser would be perfect for this round IMHO. I’m looking forward to what loading components will come on line; I think a ~130-140g Barnes offering would be great. The 350 Legend beats the hell out of $3/round shotgun sabots, or the overly powerful 45 cal center fire options for my deer hunting needs.
Posted By: Bill in NE Re: 350 Legend report - 10/04/19
And it can be had in a 10” AR pistol.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Good write up, thank you.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Is it true the bullets are .355" and not .357? If so I'm a little disappointed they went 9mm instead of 357.

Bb
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
If you want bullets for .355 get on the Hawk Bullets site. I think they catalogue the 354, 356, and 368 bullets. The jackets are dead soft copper and act as though they are bonded. I think that's due to the copper jackets. They work in .354 for my old 1905 9X56 mm Steyr M/S. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Thinking about this I have a mini-mauser that might get rebarrelled. Isn't this just a renamed 357 Maximum? Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: micky Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Thinking about this I have a mini-mauser that might get rebarrelled. Isn't this just a renamed 357 Maximum? Be Well, RZ.

No, it's rimless based on a 223 case. Sitting next to a 357 max, the difference is minimal.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper

IF it was just a rimless 357 Max/blown out 223/5.56 case, MANY wouldn’t be so disappointed and ticked off at Winchester. That’s not to say it isn’t any good or doesn’t have a niche. It was just screwing up a wet dream from a true 35 AR perspective. The 357AR wildcat was already there, is a true 357/358 bore on a simple 223 case, and running at 5.56 pressures will mudhole the 350 numbers in the factory offerings. It’s almost like they made a 9mm legend, but decided to monkey with the naming.
Posted By: viking Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
It’s going to be interesting when field reports start coming in too, especially on hogs.

Nice write up by the way.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
I’m sure it will do well.....any moderate velocity 150-180gr 35-ish is probably gonna be more emphatic than the lighter 22-30s outside of maybe the TAC or HAMR, souped up, in an AR.
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 10/05/19
Thanks for keep this a civil thread.

The bullets are .355 per the Hodgen loading data but at least one of the ammo boxes say .357. Ohio regs also say .357 min. I’m sure even Win had the sense to be sure the cartridge would be legal before releasing. My guess is they wanted the case and bullets to be unique enough to dissuade handloaders from using cheap existing components (cheap 223 brass and .358 bullets) and buy their loaded ammo or 'specialized' components. Maybe they are trying to revisit the glory of introducing what they think will be next 270Win; they could have just did a 7mm ’06 (.284) rather than an oddball .277. Bring on the 270 jokes! grin Either way, the its just a fun cartridge to shoot and plinking ammo is so cheap it isn’t ironic that it is a 9mm (the only round I really don’t messing loading with due to low cost).

I need to test the 170 Hornady and 180 Powerpoint in some type of media to see how they hold together. My bet is at least the 170 Hornady will be a good one.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 Legend report - 10/06/19
It was laughable how they announced it. Their ballistics and specs were inaccurate and far fetched and the employees didn't even know what it was or how to answer questions..

They might as well have used a totally new size case. The only thing 223 about it is the head size. But the cartridge base diameter is larger. Won't be long till a handloader uses 223 brass and 358 bullets in an AR and makes a KABOOM of black shrapnel.

A 450 Bushmaster with a brake has no more recoil and is an accurate and powerful cartridge.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by KenMi

A 450 Bushmaster with a brake has no more recoil and is an accurate and powerful cartridge.

The last portion of your statement is correct. The first portion, not so much.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 350 Legend report - 10/06/19
I despise muzzle breaks.
Posted By: Youper Re: 350 Legend report - 10/08/19
Near as I could figure the 350 amounted to a legally compliant .30-30 or 35 Remington. I would rather Michigan just made those cartridges legal in the restricted zone, and negating the necessity of the 350, but so it goes.
Posted By: JBhunter45 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/08/19
Similar thoughts for me, would have liked to see caliber and speed, instead of strait wall and case length for the regulations.
I have a .458 SOCOM and a 45-70 that are not legal, and they use real rifle bullets.
I predict poor performance from pistol bullets traveling at rifle velocities just like the .450
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/08/19
Now that some youth/firearms seasons are opening, I’m starting to see real world results on deer. I’ll have my 45-70 with me in OH simply because we have a lot of history together. I’ll also be bringing a .350L Ruger Ranch.

I’m confident my son will bloody it first, but maybe only kids and women can kill with it..............,
My Ruger is accurate as well with both the 150- and 180-gr loads and as you say recoil and report are milk-toast stuff relative to such as the 444 Marlin or the 45-70 or even the 450 Bushmaster.

The cartridge is basically a “357 Magnum Long” and is very pleasant to shoot.

ETA: that said, a nice quality lever gun or semi-auto would increase the cartridges appeal to me. This fall, though, should bring reports on the cartridges deer-worthiness, or not. Hopefully, folks won’t try to stretch the range with it.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 350 Legend report - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by Youper
Near as I could figure the 350 amounted to a legally compliant .30-30 or 35 Remington. I would rather Michigan just made those cartridges legal in the restricted zone, and negating the necessity of the 350, but so it goes.

I get your point and mostly agree, but IMO the 350 is still a notable step behind the 35 Remingon in ballistics. It really seems closer to a 357 Mag lever action than anything else, which of course was already available but that doesn't generate new sales.

There are a couple wildcat cartridges that actually do duplicate a 35 Remington in something like an AR or other miniature magazine/action, but it takes a bit more powder than the 350 will hold. I've got one based on the 6.8 SPC case, but like the 35 Rem, it has a small bottleneck and doesn't meet the legal requirements for some states.

The only way the 350 can be said to near the 35 Remington ballistically is because it is loaded to much higher pressure — somewhere around 50k psi if IIRC — than the Remington which is around 33k psi due to many older rifles. I could probably beat Usain Bolt in a 100 yard dash if he had to do it in a feed sack.

A 35 Rem build with hand-loads could beat it significantly.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
I am looking forward to some real world reports on how it kills deer. Looking forward also to more selection in Bolt action rifles but not to optimistic that will happen as it looks like a niche round to me.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
I’m struggling with the decision myself. I go to Ohio for gun season every year. Normally shoot a muzzleloader or shotgun. It would be nice to have a proper centerfire like a 450bm or 350.

The 350 seems like it’s a cluster F for reloaders due to the bullet diameter, but is otherwise enticing.

I have a apex, but can’t seem to find a 45-70 barrel any longer.

Curious to see what the 350 does this year
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I’m struggling with the decision myself. I go to Ohio for gun season every year. Normally shoot a muzzleloader or shotgun. It would be nice to have a proper centerfire like a 450bm or 350.

The 350 seems like it’s a cluster F for reloaders due to the bullet diameter, but is otherwise enticing.

I have a apex, but can’t seem to find a 45-70 barrel any longer.

Curious to see what the 350 does this year

I have 2 options and none include this wunderkind. 450 BM Ruger American or a Henry Single Shot 357 converted to 357 max.

Keep in mind 350 ammo is pretty inexpensive. Plus, it’s seems quite accurate and though I see it touted to be deer-capable to 200 yds., I think that might be stretching it; maybe 150 and somewhat beyond, but depending on circumstances.

I’m not going to bother reloading.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Keep in mind 350 ammo is pretty inexpensive. Plus, it’s seems quite accurate and though I see it touted to be deer-capable to 200 yds., I think that might be stretching it; maybe 150 and somewhat beyond, but depending on circumstances.

I’m not going to bother reloading.

That would be one benefit, although the winchester factory ammo I have seen in the last few years could be much much better..
Posted By: Yondering Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

The only way the 350 can be said to near the 35 Remington ballistically is because it is loaded to much higher pressure — somewhere around 50k psi if IIRC — than the Remington which is around 33k psi due to many older rifles. I could probably beat Usain Bolt in a 100 yard dash if he had to do it in a feed sack.

A 35 Rem build with hand-loads could beat it significantly.

I'm talking about factory loads for both - the 350 is a step behind the 35 Rem. 350 has to use lighter bullets to reach the same velocity, 180gr vs the classic 200gr 35 Rem load, and that's from advertised ballistics which never ever exaggerate. laugh

I'd like to see someone bring out a 158gr 38 Special duplicate load for the 350. It could be pretty popular for suppressed shooting; that load in a rifle barrel with a decent suppressor is about as close as you can get to hollywood quiet other than a .22.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
Not something I plan to reload if I went 350 legend due to all the poor decisions they made in design. Just need something for 1 week a year to kill deer.

Unfortunate the apex never received much love or aftermarket barrel support or I could use it. I never have seen any custom barrels for the apex, and doubt anyone makes them
Not something I plan to reload if I went 350 legend due to all the poor decisions they made in design. Just need something for 1 week a year to kill deer.

Unfortunate the apex never received much love or aftermarket barrel support or I could use it. I never have seen any custom barrels for the apex, and doubt anyone makes them

You can buy the Scout V2 in 357, 44,444.450 Bushmaster or 45/70 for near the price of a replacement barrel. Scout is based off the Apex receiver. I had a Apex muzzleloader which I should have never sold.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19

I have a 250 Savage barrel for my Apex. It was originally a 22-250 barrel and was stubbed, into a barrel blank. It shoots very well.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/10/19
My 16” 357 Max Encore w/Bellm barrel/chamber will mudhole both factory 35 Rem and the 350....180s @2400+ from any 35, generally impress what they hit. The legend COULDA been very close to that, easily. At 2000, they’re still not bad medicine....up close. An extra 300 will make them matter much more past 150-200. For 90% of deer/hog hunting at <150yards, the legend is probably just fine.

Win’s 180 is listed at 2100 FPS on the box. If a 357 mag can take a deer reliably at 75 yds assuming correct placement, I would think you could double that with the 350. Like I said, a kind of 357 Mag long.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 350 Legend report - 10/11/19
Probably not safe, and a long shot of course. Pressures from 350 legend probably too high

. I just emailed dead air to see if 350 legend would be safe through my ghost m 45 suppressor that should be out of nfa jail any day now. My other cans are rimfire or 30 cal cans so definitely won’t work.

Unlikely I know, but heck can’t hurt to ask. I would imagine the subsonic loads will be but here is to hoping supers would be safe!

If so I guess that’s the way I will go. If not I guess I still have options. Lol
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 350 Legend report - 10/11/19
Got a answer from dead air regarding whether or not safe to shoot 450 bushmaster or 350 legend through ghost M 45 suppressor

450 bushmaster not safe super or subsonic even though PSI lower than 10mm. Has to do with bullet weight and drag. Will stretch baffles out.

350 legend safe for subsonic, unsafe supersonic.

Dang
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 10/19/19
Spent a little more range time with my Chrony. The Win 180 PP is listed at 2100 FPS and I got 2064 fps average; the Hornady 170 is listed at 2200 but I got 2341 avg from my 22 inch barrel! I was really optimistic about the 170 Hornady until I tried a crude bullet test. I wanted to catch a bullet so I stuffed a shoe box with ~ 6 inches of dry newspaper and stuffed this in front of a larger box stuffed with dirt. Both rounds blew through the newspaper. The 170 Horn. seems pretty soft and separated, but the 180 PP really held together and only lost about 15 g. You can make out the inter-lock ring in the pic below. I'm thinking they need a little harder lead core. Although slower and a little less less accurate, the 180 PP will be my hunting load this year. I've tried to find components online but these bullets are sold out though Midsouth has dies. I still would love a 140g all copper offering loaded to ~ 2500-2600 FPS.

By the way, I tried shooting at 200 yds in very gusty winds and the Legend didn't do well although the drop was only about 6 inches with a 100 yd zero.. The stubby bullets really get tossed around in a strong wind. Best to keep shots under 150 unless things are calm IMHO.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/19/19
My gut tells me your test medium is far harder on the bullets than a deer? Anyhoo, I’ve always had FAR more trouble getting 180-ish 35 bullets to expand enough in deer, and I’ve yet to see one come apart.....but they weren’t those exact bullets, either. The only 35 bullets I’ve had separate in my hotter 357 max loads were the 125/158 gr JHP/JSP pistol bullets, driven above 2700, in coyotes.....which was the intended result.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 350 Legend report - 10/19/19
Cool bullet test. Looks like they will work great for deer. That 170 Hornady should be excellent as well. Be hard to beat either one.
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 10/20/19
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
My gut tells me your test medium is far harder on the bullets than a deer? Anyhow, I’ve always had FAR more trouble getting 180-ish 35 bullets to expand enough in deer, and I’ve yet to see one come apart

Yes, I was aware that dry newspaper is a tough medium on bullets. I chose it as a worst case scenario.

The PP really surprised me with it's toughness. Too bad there isn't a perfect home test medium before slinging these at live animals. After season there will be a lot more field data on what works and how far out. My gut just tells me the heavier and tougher PP looks like the better bet right now. I'm not even going to try the 150g XP. That just looks explosive to me.

Curious about your comment on the 35 cal bullets not expanding. Existing .357 pistol bullets may have been too soft and .358 rifle bullets a little too hard at 350 Legend velocities. Maybe that's another reason why Winchester went .355. I still think they wanted to sell niche bullets/ammo for this new chambering.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/20/19
For comparison, a 240gr XTP .44 mag at 1750, not a max load, sighted in at 100 yards, is an inch high at 50, almost 5.5 inches low at 150, where it still packs 868 ft lbs at over 1200fps. Sounds good to me out that far anyway.

Not out of an AR though.
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 10/20/19
Pappy348.

You post is ironic because this is replacing my Marlin 44 Mag as my primary deer gun and I was shooting it too. I also use the 240 XTP and 23.5g of H110 and only get 1600 fps; my 100 yd groups are ~3-4 inches. I have only taken a few medium sized deer with it and have never got a pass through with the XTP. The deer were dead, but I had better performance from the Speer 240. Problem is my Marlin sprayed those bullets, I guess it prefers .430 vs .429.

The 350 Legend is certainly looking like an upgrade for me, although on game performance is yet to be seen.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 350 Legend report - 10/21/19
Unlike a lot of new calibers, I think the 350 fills a void for the straight wall states. I’ve read some very mixed reviews on execution. I hope it gets sorted out and provides good service for hunters.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 350 Legend report - 10/21/19
An upgrade over the 44 magnum at 150 yards and under? Hmmm
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

It's an upgrade for me. 1-1.5 MOA, light recoil, I get to carry a bolt rifle vs lever gun. I wouldn't take a shot at 150 yds with my Marlin (or my Savage 220F) and the flying ashtrays it shoots for bullets.

How effecting on game is yet TBD.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 350 Legend report - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by djb

It's an upgrade for me. 1-1.5 MOA, light recoil, I get to carry a bolt rifle vs lever gun. I wouldn't take a shot at 150 yds with my Marlin (or my Savage 220F) and the flying ashtrays it shoots for bullets.

How effecting on game is yet TBD.

I hope it works well for you. I’m itching for a 44 mag long gun.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
From my use, a 180gr 35 spitzer at even (a low) 2100, will outperform a 44 mag flat 240 at 1750, from the muzzle to forever.....at least by the numbers, for energy and drop.
Posted By: Texczech Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
ETA: that said, a nice quality lever gun or semi-auto would increase the cartridges appeal to me. This fall, though, should bring reports on the cartridges deer-worthiness, or not. Hopefully, folks won’t try to stretch the range with it.[/quote]

It would be.really cool if a 30 cal carbine.could be rechambered for the 350 legend. It should have been 35 cal to start with I believe.
I like this guys videos

Posted By: Texczech Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
Thanks for posting the video.
You are welcome Buffalo is a very down to earth guy and a pretty dang good shot to boot!

Mike
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Texczech
ETA: that said, a nice quality lever gun or semi-auto would increase the cartridges appeal to me. This fall, though, should bring reports on the cartridges deer-worthiness, or not. Hopefully, folks won’t try to stretch the range with it.

I also would be interested in a lever gun. Has anyone ever had any experience or seen a Marlin chambered in 357 Max? That would be cool.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
At first I had no interest in the 350 legend. I have a .44 mag .45-70 and a 375 win for Ohio hunting. Also several slugs guns.

But as I thought about it, and about what I'm going to purchase for my kids to start hunting... It may fill a void that I have.

We hunt both pa and Ohio each year. So buying one rifle for both is ideal. The .350 legend may be a good answer to that need. And grices has a model in currently that would work for the kids...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
I'd also be interested if remington brought one out in a 7600.

-Jake
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19

Just the fact that it can be shot out of an AR is a huge upgrade.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by djb
Pappy348.

You post is ironic because this is replacing my Marlin 44 Mag as my primary deer gun and I was shooting it too. I also use the 240 XTP and 23.5g of H110 and only get 1600 fps; my 100 yd groups are ~3-4 inches. I have only taken a few medium sized deer with it and have never got a pass through with the XTP. The deer were dead, but I had better performance from the Speer 240. Problem is my Marlin sprayed those bullets, I guess it prefers .430 vs .429.

The 350 Legend is certainly looking like an upgrade for me, although on game performance is yet to be seen.

I wasn't trying to ding the .350 at all, only to show that there aren't any flies on the .44 out pretty far, farther than I've had to shoot in a long, long time. No restrictions here on rifles anyway.

My .44 is a Browning single-shot with a tang peep and a 24" barrel. Never fired it at over 100 so far, and wouldn't try it unless
I had plenty of time and a stationary target. Had it at the range yesterday to check the sights for an upcoming four-day antlerless and bear season. Might pack a couple hard-cast for in case I see a bear (VERY unlikely). This one's never been afield and deserves a turn. If Ohio was in the picture, I'd probably punch out a .357 Henry SS like the guy above, or a .44 to .445 Supermag and scope it. Starline makes brass for both and the .350, btw.

I understand completely why many or most would prefer the easy road of the .350. It should work fine.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
If/when I might decide to pick up the 350, I’d load for it, because the factory leadings are anemic. OTOH, if I have to load for a 35 AR, I’ll maybe just do the 357AR/Rimless Max, and have standard components, AND outperform it. I feel certain a 180gr 357/358 will run 2400+ in 16”, without issue in an AR.....but I’ll have to double check COL, for mag, just to be certain.....that’s the only thing I can think of to really hold it back. I don’t see the reason the 350 isn’t doing that, if not mag constraints vs seating depth. IME, getting above 2100 with a 180 or heavier 35 is where it’s at.....but it’s just a ‘wish’.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
I had thought of a 358 Winchester on a R25 I already own. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: 350 Legend report - 10/22/19
Sounds like a reincarnation of the Winchester 351 Self loading.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 350 Legend report - 10/23/19
Got a 35 rem and can trim to be PCR legal for public land in IN ( or run reg on private). If i was in a straight wall case state...id do a .350 L
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 350 Legend report - 10/23/19
While I haven’t had them all, I’ve had Whelen, 358, 356, 35 rem, and 357 max. The max does all I need a 35 for, and does more with less, than any of my other 35s. The point of the 350 was to do it in semis/ARs and be straight wall legal, for some places. No other factory 35 does that, for sure....though the 350 is more a 9x45, than a 357AR.
Posted By: coobie Re: 350 Legend report - 11/15/19
Purchased a Ruger american 350 legend from buds guns.Should be here next week going to top it with burris signature 3X9X40.My current Ruger Scout 450 cal.bushmaster has been a great shooing Iron.Hopefully the 350 will be also.Thanks for the great write up .
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 350 Legend report - 11/15/19
Get a whitetail with it and put up a photograph for us coobie. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Mkimbel Re: 350 Legend report - 12/09/19
Hi I'm new here wanted to share some feedback on the cartridge and the Ruger American rifle.

I picked up the 22" barrel version with a leupold 3x9 Duplex reticle scope made for the 350 legend for 729$ as a combo. Sighted in with Hornaday 170 grain and the results impressed me moving from 50 to 150 I saw maybe a 1" difference and at 200 yds I held about 4" high the top of a plate and hit center.

This week I took 3 deer with it one each day, I was blown away by what it did to these deer. Previously I had hunted with a 12gauge rifled barrel and copper solids my entire life as Ohio was a shotgun only state until recently. This had as much if not more stopping power as my 12 gauge all 3 deer being 1 shot kills with the farthest run being about 20 yards. One was at 60 to 70 another at 50 and the last one around 150yds all held right on and completely destroyed the internals.

Recoil is absolutely nothing coming from using a 12 gauge for years to deer hunt with.

This is a a game changer for us guys in Ohio. The shot I made on my last deer I wouldn't have attempted before and now I would not think about it.
Posted By: Mkimbel Re: 350 Legend report - 12/09/19
Sorry about the picture quality had to reduce so much in order to upload below 97kb

Attached picture IMG_20191129_093939_3-min (1) (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_20191203_122225 (1).jpg
Congratulations! Glad you can use them now.

Mike
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I despise muzzle breaks.

Maybe if you tried a muzzle brake it might change your mind.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/14/19
Mkimbel, Congrats on your success. I like you hunted with a shotgun for years. First with a smooth bore and Remington sluggers, Then with a rifled barrel and Federal Barnes expanders. The older I get, the less tolerant I am to recoil. I got the 350 Legend bug this year and bought an upper receiver for my AR-15. It shoots lights out with the 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP although my 16" barrel gives up some velocity averaging 2165 FPS. I was only able to hunt the first day this year and didn't score. I recently purchased a box of 165 grain Hornady FTX to try out when it warms up. Also plan to try the 170 grain Hornady. I'm hoping that someone comes out with a 140ish grain mono metal bullet like a Hornady monoflex. I have some Hodgdon Lil gun which may be THE powder for reloading this caliber.

Ron
Posted By: Girlhunter Re: 350 Legend report - 12/14/19
I want one for no good reason.
Posted By: Mkimbel Re: 350 Legend report - 01/29/20
Ron,

Sounds like a really sweet set-up you've got there! I don't think you will be disappointed with the 170 grain Hornaday at all, very little drop between distances. They really perform well on deer.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/06/20
I realize that this is a 11 month old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it to see results with the 350. I shot a full size doe the first day of the 2020 Ohio gun season with my 350 AR-15 loaded with 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP. Broadside at 40-45 yards, the bullet punched completely through the ribs. She ran about 25-30 yards and piled up. The guy that owns the adjoining property shot a doe Tuesday, and an 8 point buck Thursday with his Savage Axis in 350 Legend. He used Hornady 170 grain ammo and was very pleased with the performance.

Ron
Posted By: wango Re: 350 Legend report - 12/07/20
A lot of the guys have been buying them to let their kids use because of the mild recoil and report then end up getting one for themselves. Ammos cheap and accuracy has been very surprising to me . Didn’t need it but I traded into a MGM barrel for my G2 Contender have been very pleased with the accuracy.
Posted By: duckster Re: 350 Legend report - 12/07/20
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I realize that this is a 11 month old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it to see results with the 350. I shot a full size doe the first day of the 2020 Ohio gun season with my 350 AR-15 loaded with 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP. Broadside at 40-45 yards, the bullet punched completely through the ribs. She ran about 25-30 yards and piled up. The guy that owns the adjoining property shot a doe Tuesday, and an 8 point buck Thursday with his Savage Axis in 350 Legend. He used Hornady 170 grain ammo and was very pleased with the performance.

Ron

Will be hunting in Iowa this coming weekend. Bought a Browning X-bolt for myself and my 75 year old father to use rather than the slug guns we had been using. I have been very impressed with the accuracy of the .350, using Winchester 150 grain Deer Season ammo. More often than not, I can get 3 shots well under an inch at 100 yards if I am doing my part. I am glad to hear good reports of the terminal ballistics for the .350. We shot the 12 inch gong at the range yesterday at 200 yards and were able to get 4 out of 5 hits. Most of our shooting will be more like 125-150 yards at most so I am pretty confident.
Posted By: duckster Re: 350 Legend report - 12/07/20
Target from a trip to the range yesterday with the .350 Legend. Winchester 150 gr at 100 yards
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: hookeye Re: 350 Legend report - 12/07/20
That'll work! smile
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 Legend report - 12/07/20
The Winchester 150 is one of the softer bullets. Many reports of no exits if shoulder or bone is hit.
I load the Maker 150 TREX in mine at 2450 fps. Accurate as hell and haven't had one stop even after taking out 2 shoulders.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
I realize this is an old thread, but it has been revived since then.

The 350 legend was designed for various reasons. IMO, the most prominent is the adaptation of case production from a manufacturing standpoint. It's a 223 basic case, ergo a 9mm Parabellum.

It's basically a revision of the 45 ACP/30/06/308 of yesteryear, near as I can tell. It's adaptation in states where it may (or may not be) legal has suddenly been cheered into acceptance.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by duckster

Ron

Will be hunting in Iowa this coming weekend. Bought a Browning X-bolt for myself and my 75 year old father to use rather than the slug guns we had been using. I have been very impressed with the accuracy of the .350, using Winchester 150 grain Deer Season ammo. More often than not, I can get 3 shots well under an inch at 100 yards if I am doing my part. I am glad to hear good reports of the terminal ballistics for the .350. We shot the 12 inch gong at the range yesterday at 200 yards and were able to get 4 out of 5 hits. Most of our shooting will be more like 125-150 yards at most so I am pretty confident.

Where did you find an X-Bolt in 350 Legend?
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Ron

I want to know as well. What I would really like is to find one in a quality light weight rifle.
Posted By: goalie Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
Winchester XPR
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
Hawk 1, We here in the mid west have been at the mercy of dumb laws limiting us to shotguns or muzzleloaders (and some handguns) for deer for years. A few years ago the ODNR approved straight walled rifles. Most guys here were pretty happy about that decision. Winchester saw a opportunity to design a new cartridge for deer in these "straight walled" states. I'm no expert, but I believe they have hit a home run with the 350 Legend. Mine is accurate, shoots flat out to 200ish yards, and in my limited experience and from anecdotal experience from my friends and acquaintances, I'm giving it a thumbs up. If I'm fortunate enough to go to another state to deer hunt, and they allow rifles, I'm taking my 7x57, 30-06, or 6.5 Creedmoor. I may still sneak out some time with my Ruger 44 carbine, but right now in my mind the 350 is money.
P. S. I'm a tinkerer. When the 350 came out I saw an opportunity to tinker.

Ron
Posted By: 19352012 Re: 350 Legend report - 12/08/20
I like my 350 because it doesnt feel like I got whacked with a ball bat every time I shoot. I have the CVA Cascade in Veil camo. It's good enough. I found that if you shoot 1 deer in the neck, they fall over dead which might be a conclusion from too small a sample size so I plan to shoot more deer in the neck to draw on complete data.
Posted By: duckster Re: 350 Legend report - 12/11/20
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Ron

I want to know as well. What I would really like is to find one in a quality light weight rifle.

You are correct. I had a brain fart when typing. It is the Winchester XPR
Posted By: roundoak Re: 350 Legend report - 12/11/20
A young lad in our 2020 deer camp shot this buck at 80 yards with Hornady 170 grain bullet that was quartering away from him. Nicked the liver, through the lungs and broke off side front leg just below shoulder blade. Death run was just shy of 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 12/14/20
The Winchester 150 is one of the softer bullets. Many reports of no exits if shoulder or bone is hit.
I load the Maker 150 TREX in mine at 2450 fps. Accurate as hell and haven't had one stop even after taking out 2 shoulders.

KenMi, I used that bullet (TREX) this year also with success. What load are you using? I settled on 23g Lil Gun for 2300 out of a 22 inch barrel. Existing load data from Hogden seems very HOT, and it's almost like wildcatting with this cartridge until more factory data comes available. I'd love a good subsonic load for suppressor use also.

I'm glad people are still finding this thread helpful.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 350 Legend report - 12/14/20
Planning on buying an upper to replace my savage axis this summer
Posted By: captjohn Re: 350 Legend report - 12/14/20
when this round came out and my sense that sooner or later i would hunt Iowa again I set to out to create a 350 legend gun that was not a plastic nightmare, I found a older Weatherby Vanguard 223, a real gun no plastic clip BS etc. and sent it to JES and had it rebored to the 350 legend, whamo when the letter comes some year with my tag i have the gun. I cannot take the plastic this, plastic that crap that comes out now, yes they shoot MOA but when you drop the clip and you have four pieces on the floor, really!!!! It shoots the factory Win, ammo just fine out to 150 yards better than i can hold it steady, plenty for a deer gun and I have a legitimate gun in my hands.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 Legend report - 12/15/20
Originally Posted by djb

KenMi, I used that bullet (TREX) this year also with success. What load are you using? I settled on 23g Lil Gun for 2300 out of a 22 inch barrel. Existing load data from Hogden seems very HOT, and it's almost like wildcatting with this cartridge until more factory data comes available. I'd love a good subsonic load for suppressor use also.

I'm glad people are still finding this thread helpful.

27.5 Lil' Gun with Rem 7 1/2 primers. No signs of pressure at all
Tried 26.0 of H110 and got a sticky bolt lift with that. Both loads were accurate, but settled on the Lil' Gun. That gets better velocity anyhow at lower pressure.
Wouldn't try it in an AR, but in a bolt gun it worked fine.
That was going off of data that Hornady sent for the 170 grain bullet. Was also getting a sticky bolt lift with the same H110 load with the 170 Hornady bullets. I use the 27.5 Lil' Gun with the 170 Hornady's as well, and that one is fine. The 170s shoot to about 1 1/2" groups or so. The Makers all stack in one ragged hole at 100.

A friend tried the Makers in his Winchester XPR, and blew a case. The throat in that rifle is too tight for anything except a .355" bullet.
The Maker is .3565. I have heard that the Ruger will not accept .357" bullets, but I have not tried it yet. Really no need to.
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 12/18/20
Thanks KenMi.

All the Hogden loads were very HOT in my experience. I don't think my rifles would take that much powder. Seems to be a lot of variance in components and rifles for the 350L.

Are you crimping into the cannelure on the TREX. I did and had excessive case stretch. Since the case headspaces on the mouth it seems best to not crimp unless absolutely necessary. It a neat round but not for the beginning handloader.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 Legend report - 12/19/20
Taper crimp after seating to proper OAL. It is at cannelure but still allows proper headspacing
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 350 Legend report - 06/07/21
Old thread but plenty of owners of 350 legend on it. I have a Winchester XPR ordered. What did you all zero your rifles at? From my 30 year experience in hunting Ohio my shots will be from 15 to 200 yards max with most 30-100.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 350 Legend report - 06/11/21
I have a 16" AR in one that I've been working with a bit. I had some feeding issues and was getting some bullet set back which Canberra dangerous in a straight wall case. Even with a heavy crimp from a lee fcd. I polished up the m4 feed ramps and opened them a bit. I then tuned up the feed lips in my mags.

The chance of set back still worried me so I worked up my own compressed load with H4198 and a Hornady 170g. I'm getting just over 2200 fps with good accuracy and it's a nice clean burning temp stable load.

My gun is undergassed for the cheap win 145g fmj stuff but cycles fine with my loads and any other factory stuff. It's kind of a fun little gun.

I bought 1000 RMR 147g flat point truncated cone fmjs I'm going to work up a load for next for plinking. I've got a bunch of old data 2200 surplus ball stuff that might be slow enough to work up a compressed load with. If I find one that works well I'll crank some out on the progressive. I bought a bunch of starline brass when we could get it.

Bb
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 350 Legend report - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by roundoak
A young lad in our 2020 deer camp shot this buck at 80 yards with Hornady 170 grain bullet that was quartering away from him. Nicked the liver, through the lungs and broke off side front leg just below shoulder blade. Death run was just shy of 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great photo and congrats to the young man.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 350 Legend report - 06/11/21
Haven't seen ammo on the shelves for this cartridge anywhere and also hadn't even looked threads on it...

But I picked up two of these on a Savage Axis at Walmart. Bought them to rebarrel to 17 Fireball.

however after the fact, I've picked one up, shouldered it, just for the feel.

Can only speak for the Savage, but talked about a balanced rifle, with the 18 inch barrel, but then the stiffer barrel profile for the 35 caliber...

I liked it so much, I ordered the 17 Fireball in the exact same profile and barrel length.. now the 4 month wait to have the barrel show up.

Would like to have some ammo show up on shelves, just to try out the barrel and round out.

it is fun read the comments on this thread. I've been loading my rifles for deer season to this velocity range for a decade or two....people have always laughed at me for doing so... comments like " you left 600 fps sitting on the table?"

last year hunted with a 6.5 Grendal, that I loaded with a 140 grain Speer SP, in about the velocity range of the Legend here...

bullet went in one side and out the other, as the deer bang/flopped .. Rifle the Ruger American Predator

Each of these just reinventing the 30/30 in a new package...

The Savage Axis 2, that I have in this chambering, I think is the best balance of any rifle I have for the type of hunting I do...30/30 ranges, 200 yds and under. as my granddad use to say about his 30/30, Its all ya ever need...

This is going in the right direction, considering all the mega magnums that have been coming out...over the last decade or two.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 350 Legend report - 06/12/21
I'm really fond of these smaller calibers and appreciate the knowledge being shared here. Thanks John.
Posted By: djb Re: 350 Legend report - 06/14/21
Glad to see the thread still going. It's a fun but challenging cartridge to load for. Forgetting the crimping step solved case stretch issues but I only shoot bolt guns.

I've been messing with a 220g Marker bullet with 11.1g of Lil Gun. Literally one hole groups at 50 and ~1050 fps. Still waiting on my suppressor to get out of jail to really see how quiet it will be. Should be an effective 50 yd load taking archery type broadside shots. Also looking for some Trailboss to try loads with some 147g 9mm bullets.
© 24hourcampfire