Home
Posted By: SDupontJr Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/08/19
What types of bases or rails are you guys using on the T3's? I have a few sets of Warne rings and some Burris sig zee rings. No sense in buying more rings, just need a base. 2 piece or 1, either way. Or what do you guys suggest?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/08/19
These are the ticket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-30mm-suits-TIKKA-15mm-dovetails-early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2/302359501564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/08/19
Straight to existing system? What height for 50mm scope? Only reason I considered the rail was I have both 1" and 30mm optics. Not sure which to put on it, but at that price, that's not bad. If there as good as you mention.
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
Straight to existing system? What height for 50mm scope? Only reason I considered the rail was I have both 1" and 30mm optics. Not sure which to put on it, but at that price, that's not bad. If there as good as you mention.

They are crazy good ring mounts. I have that model with a 42mm scope you might need a different model for 50mm. They make Talley Lightweights and most steel rings look like garbage.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/08/19
Sportsmatch or Warne Tikka. No need to use screws when there is a scope base already built in.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by KenMi
Sportsmatch or Warne Tikka. No need to use screws when there is a scope base already built in.

With recoil lugs too boot....
Posted By: jwall Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
I have Warne’s on my T3X. No complaints.

I don’t care for the looks of rails and don’t like the clutter above the action.
YMMV

Jerry
Posted By: drover Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
I have never understood putting rails or base mounts on Tikka T-3's, after all they come with a mount built into them and adding anything else is superlulous and a potential source of issues.

drover
Drover

I'm still using the OEM rings on my T 3 Lite SS 270.

The T3X doesn't come with rings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jerry
I wonder if Warne will expand further to offer Horizontal Maximas for the Tikka? That'd work for me, though I dig the Sportsmatch too.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
I used a Mountain Tactical 20 moa one piece rail on mine. The milled Tikka rail mount is a little petite for my liking.
DNZ one piece mounts work well for me.

I'm betting the Warne Tikka rings would as well.
Posted By: drover Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by jwall
Drover

I'm still using the OEM rings on my T 3 Lite SS 270.

The T3X doesn't come with rings.

Jerry

I am still using the factory rings on my T-3's with no issues whatever, they have worked well enough for me that I have a couple of sets rat-holed just in case I get a T3X.

drover
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
I do have the factory aluminum rings. Man they just looked awfully "fragile" or cheap made. But I guess I'm wrong, hell some of you guys are running them. I haven't tried them to see if my 50mm will clear. Whatever I decided to go with it, I'll need them for a 50mm. The sportsmatch do look very good.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
Formidilous speaks quite highly of the Sportsmatch rings, I’d like to try them myself.
I do have the factory aluminum rings. Man they just looked awfully "fragile" or cheap made. But I guess I'm wrong, hell some of you guys are running them. I haven't tried them to see if my 50mm will clear. Whatever I decided to go with it, I'll need them for a 50mm. The sportsmatch do look very good.

They are pretty average, Sportsmatch are the best option
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
I like the Area419 rail and Burris XTR Sig combo on my Tikka. Super solid and let's me maximize every last bit of erector travel. Pic rails do have some small downsides, but the inclination and ability to quickly swap scopes sure is nice.

I'll go Sportsmatch if ever using 'direct mount' type rings.

That's because they are. They are soft, soft as in having a recoil lug elongating the bottom of the ring with a mighty 270WIN providing the energy. I have a set sitting in my cabinet , 10 bucks plus shipping to a future lottery winner.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That's because they are. They are soft, soft as in having a recoil lug elongating the bottom of the ring with a mighty 270WIN providing the energy. I have a set sitting in my cabinet , 10 bucks plus shipping to a future lottery winner.

Well..... maybe all of them are NOT the same ? ?

I've been using these since 2003 -- on the "mighty 270 WIN". I haven't had ANY problems with them at all.

Unfortunately things can change over time in QNC. ?, I don't know what the diff.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

[Linked Image]

Castle, is this your setup? This is the 1st set of sportmatch rings that I have seen where the front lug is not so close to the chamber opening. The front ring is moved forward slightly to give it more of a "symmetrical" look. I really like look. How did you pull that off?

Like this close? Minus recoil lug maybe?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/09/19
i prefer a rail on my tikkas personally due to the flexibility of the slots. since you have burris sig zee rings,my preference also, why not give the warne 1 piece weaver rail a shot? i have this setup on all my tikkas and have never had an issue.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i prefer a rail on my tikkas personally due to the flexibility of the slots. since you have burris sig zee rings,my preference also, why not give the warne 1 piece weaver rail a shot? i have this setup on all my tikkas and have never had an issue.
Big Ed

Thats what i origionally wanted to do for flexibility. Because I have 40mm to 56mm optics and 1" and 30mm tubes. You have a link to that rail. The little bit of weight that it adds is nothing. Im not a backpacker, mountain hunter.
google warne weaver rail for tikka t3. m9t3m is warne's designation for the one i use. it has 3 slots up front and 2 in the rear o the 1 piece base. and as a bonus it comes either in black or silver if that matters to you. the burris sig zee rings fit like a glove on this rail.
Big Ed
This it?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
yep thats it. i know its know errbodys cup o tea using the (4) screws and all but it works for me and i can move that front ring out further than clamp on mounts will if need be.
Big Ed

[Linked Image]

Castle, is this your setup? This is the 1st set of sportmatch rings that I have seen where the front lug is not so close to the chamber opening. The front ring is moved forward slightly to give it more of a "symmetrical" look. I really like look. How did you pull that off?

These rings have a recoil pin that works with the slot in the front of the receiver but I don’t use that one.
The T3X has a 3mm hole in the bridge for a recoil pin and I use that one now to give the same spacing.
See this post
Recoil pins
[Linked Image]
This it?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Okay ! now that's not what I think of when I think of 'rail'. I'd have NO objection to that.

That reminds me of the Weaver Ring BASE for Rem semi autos and pumps.

Jerry
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/10/19
Yeah it's a little cleaner look that a full slotted rail.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/10/19
See this post
Recoil pins
[Linked Image]

Cool, missed that memo. Thanks for posting again.
I doubt anyone has seen more true wanton abuse put on Tikka T3’s than I. The Sportsmatch are unmatched in strength and maintaining zero. If one needs inclination Mountain Tactical’s rail with recoil lug is the choice.

Originally Posted by NMiller
The milled Tikka rail mount is a little petite for my liking.

In what way have you seen it fail?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I doubt anyone has seen more true wanton abuse put on Tikka T3’s than I. The Sportsmatch are unmatched in strength and maintaining zero. If one needs inclination Mountain Tactical’s rail with recoil lug is the choice.

Form, overall how are the Tikkas holding up to the abuse?
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Fantastic. Broken bolt stop has been the only issue on multiples with more than 10K rounds on them.
Around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 will have a slight POI shift from side impacts (3ft drops), that a bit of bedding compound or JB on the tang and the recoil lug will correct. It is slight though- .2 mil +/-.

They fare ice/snow and blowing sand better than almost anything save an AI or TRG... which makes sense as that’s what a T3 really is- a sporterized Sako TRG 22.

As a total package, there really isn’t anything to compete.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/11/19

The Mountain Tac rails are nice and the recoil pin is an excellent feature. The Area419 20 MOA rail also uses a recoil pin and is very well made.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/11/19

Fantastic. Broken bolt stop has been the only issue on multiples with more than 10K rounds on them.
Around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 will have a slight POI shift from side impacts (3ft drops), that a bit of bedding compound or JB on the tang and the recoil lug will correct. It is slight though- .2 mil +/-.

They fare ice/snow and blowing sand better than almost anything save an AI or TRG... which makes sense as that’s what a T3 really is- a sporterized Sako TRG 22.

Thanks. I can vouch for the blowing sand part. Appreciate the insight.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3 rail or mounts - 10/11/19

I read on the internet they weren’t for hard chargers or hard use. Maybe check on that. 😆
Originally Posted by 16bore

I read on the internet they weren’t for hard chargers or hard use. Maybe check on that. 😆

I forwarded that to a guy I work with who thinks the sun rises and sets on Model 70's. Snark

Sounds good. A lot of guys here say they don't bed their Tikka's. but I'm not one of them... Bedding goes a long way with these.. IMHO..
© 24hourcampfire