Home
Posted By: Shooter71 SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
In an effort to slim down the fixies...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If itโ€™s something guys want Iโ€™ll do them for $40 shipped, or $15 apiece plus shipping if you put a bunch in a box. Might not be for the hard core turret twisters but I like it on a backpack rifle. Note, the chopped windage turret idea came from some other genius, I believe MtnBoomer but canโ€™t remember.
Posted By: Calvin Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Nice. I will get a few on order here soon. Got a side by side comparison?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Nice, always figured they would trim up like that, but I'd done it on a belt sander!
Posted By: 16bore Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Except you got windy on ele....๐Ÿ˜†
U'R.....

Oh chit, I didn't see that second picture! Better send one of these to Texas for show and tell.....
Posted By: Yondering Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
Except you got windy on ele....๐Ÿ˜†

LOL, yup!

OP, nice work on the turrets though, I don't mind that at all. I've done something similar on turrets with very aggressive texture (Vortex, Leupold, etc), removing most of it in the lathe to prevent catching and turning on a gun case or clothing. While that's not an issue with the SWFA fixed, I've never liked how big those turrets are so that's a nice improvement IMO.

If a guy was so inclined, you could take this a step further and either knurl the trimmed area or cut some flutes in it with a ball end mill. I might do this on one of mine to experiment.

I see the pink indicator marks on the parallax ring, looks like yours are lined up for 300?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
I need 4 of those elevation only! PM sent! Kurt
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Haha! Never noticed the Up-Down, Left-Right. This was just something I liked and wanted to share. I knew the next question would be โ€œHow Much!โ€ So figured Iโ€™d offer. Send them, Iโ€™ll machine and send back. Not interested in fluting or knurling. I can shave the whole end off if the Markings matter.

I mark parallax at 200 so I can see it prone. Iโ€™ve also chopped most of the objective bell off, just because.
Just a matter of time before either SWFA knocks them back a bit or someone figures out how to get those things 1/2 the height or better.

Nicely done, I love goofy little skullphuck projects like this...
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
What I'd kill for is their ultralight 2-10 with a ffp mil quad reticle and capped turrets.
Send your big knob complaints to: [email protected]
Posted By: iddave Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
tag.

Nice work friend.

Dave
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
What I'd kill for is their ultralight 2-10 with a ffp mil quad reticle and capped turrets.

And 4โ€ of eye relief.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

And 4โ€ of eye relief.

And an elevation knob. And a FireDot.
Posted By: screaminweasil Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/10/19
Very nicely done!! If i was shooting SWFA's, I'd take you up. Seems reasonable to me. Very cool!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/11/19
Looks good. I was having an ejection issue with my Sako A7 while using the SWFA 16x SS because of the huge azzed turrets (and because it's a Sako, nuff said). When I put my Nightforce on it, problem solved. It may have been a combination of getting the scope a little further away from the receiver/ejection port and slightly smaller turrets. Had I been using these modified turrets, it may not have been an issue..
Posted By: 16bore Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks good. I was having an ejection issue with my Sako A7 while using the SWFA 16x SS because of the huge azzed turrets (and because it's a Sako, nuff said). When I put my Nightforce on it, problem solved. It may have been a combination of getting the scope a little further away from the receiver/ejection port and slightly smaller turrets. Had I been using these modified turrets, it may not have been an issue..

Same with my T3 223 and a 10X SWFA
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I know this has been an ongoing discussion here for a long time. You would think SWFA would have redesigned them by now??? Or at least give an option to have this style of turret instead of the monsters they currently sell...
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I know this has been an ongoing discussion here for a long time. You would think SWFA would have redesigned them by now??? Or at least give an option to have this style of turret instead of the monsters they currently sell...

Oh, I don't know if they're aware of our little contingent of disappointment... LOL. I sent them some pics of the chopped windage thingy. But, like my prototype 0.1 mil heavy MilQuad reticle, I don't expect instant remodel...
Posted By: gunzo Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/11/19
Thinking if a mandrel was made to better support the knob in the lathe, ya might be able to knurl it on the machined area. But if you don't have one, knurling tools aren't cheap.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by gunzo
Thinking if a mandrel was made to better support the knob in the lathe, ya might be able to knurl it on the machined area. But if you don't have one, knurling tools aren't cheap.

Really good point. It takes alot of pressure, even on aluminum, to knurl. I think I might try this myself.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/12/19
What did you use for the windage "cap"?
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/12/19
It was a cap that came on a Stiller bolt.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/12/19

Originally Posted by longshot3
What did you use for the windage "cap"?

Originally Posted by Shooter71
It was a cap that came on a Stiller bolt.

A 7/8" leg tip will work... This one is a shaped-down rubber one, however, the vinyl are simply cut to length and shove on...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: ckat Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
MtnBoomer,

Have those turrets been cut down, or just the turret removed and leg tip pushed on?
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Well that's a start... Gotta laugh though, the swfa "fans" say they ain't that big though....๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Do that, cut em in half and do something with the big stupid eye piece.... Pretty much like they're ultra light, in variable powers, they'd own the market..... Hint...
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Originally Posted by ckat
MtnBoomer,

Have those turrets been cut down, or just the turret removed and leg tip pushed on?

Windage chopped.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Can you show a photo of the windage turret without the rubber/vinyl caps on?
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Can you show a photo of the windage turret without the rubber/vinyl caps on?

This thread has some of those pictures. Several photos in several of the first posts are missing; however, about a third to a half the way down the page there are a series of photos with that which you seek.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11607645/SWFA_6x42_sans_the_big_f'ing_w
Posted By: DropTyne Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Got it. Thanks
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Turrets - 10/13/19
Thanks, I was busy slacking.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: SWFA Turrets - 03/04/20
Turned down Turrets Shane did for me SWFA 6 X.

LH 6.5 CM RAR LH Boyds stock reworked to LH.

Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: SWFA Turrets - 03/05/20
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Turned down Turrets Shane did for me SWFA 6 X.

LH 6.5 CM RAR LH Boyds stock reworked to LH.

Can we get a close up?
Posted By: Fotis Re: SWFA Turrets - 03/05/20
Great work
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: SWFA Turrets - 03/05/20
I think they look great and in the case where I stated I had issues with my Sako A7's ejection, the turned down turrets would make a big deal on function of the rifle as well. Great job!!
© 24hourcampfire