Home
Posted By: AU7MM08 Tikka 280Ai insight - 10/18/19
Looking to see if I can get some insight on a planned Tikka build.

I am looking for some insight on a Tikka build.
I've never "built" a rifle and I've never shot past 300yards, so the newb level is high. blush

I currently have a stainless T3 that is currently in 30-06 that I am thinking of building off of.

Here are my thoughts, I'm wanting a jack of all trades rifle. Something that is just as comfortable hunting as it is comfortable at the range.
I'm aware that wanting a do-everything rifle will mean sacrifices to a certain degree.
For the hunting, will be general North American game but primarily pigs, deer & coyotes in Alabama.
For the range, I would love to get proficient out to 1,000yards as the goal.

My thoughts are a Prefit CarbonSix 280Ai 24" Sendero profile barrel & an AG Composites Privateer stock.
Is the 280AI is good round for my intended goals?
How are the CarbonSix barrels?

Any guidance and insight is welcome.
Thank you.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tikka 280Ai insight - 10/19/19
I love the 280ai, and I sure get the desire to build, but in my estimation - for your intended use - you’d be money and time ahead just selling the ‘06 and getting a t3x in 6.5. My .02, worth what you paid. cool
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Tikka 280Ai insight - 10/20/19
I get the want to build something custom.

If it were me, I would go with the 6.5-284 over the 280AI. The main reason for that is availability of good brass. The 6.5-284 will get you to 1000 and well beyond and is capable of killing everything in North America with a bit less powder (read recoil and blast) than the 280AI.
© 24hourcampfire