Home
Posted By: Slowdrifter Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
I have an issue....I have a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket and no clue what caliber to buy with it. Own a couple .243s, .270s, an stw, 7-08 and a .300 win. Help me pick a new cal. Mostly hunt under 300 yds but usually have an opportunity to stretch it out wayyyy past for a bear or 2 which might be fun.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
28 Nosler.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Creed or 280 ... because no one should be without laugh
Posted By: Slowdrifter Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Truth be told, the .28 nosler has been stuck in my head. Along with the .30 nosler and 300prc. Trying to pick a rifle I don't really need is a lot harder than I thought!!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Gotta say it: 6.5 creedmoor grin
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
28 Nos would be my choice as well, that or a 7 Saum but I already own 3 of those smile
Posted By: 16bore Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
You’ve got hunting rifles covered, get a fast twist 223 for giggles.
16bore, I guess I should have mentioned I own a 223. Other than range time it doesn't get used. I'm on the Washington coast, not a lot of uses for it here other than the occasional coyote, and that doesn't happen very often. I also scratched the creedmoor itch, couple kids shoot em.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Slowdrifter
Truth be told, the .28 nosler has been stuck in my head. Along with the .30 nosler and 300prc. Trying to pick a rifle I don't really need is a lot harder than I thought!!!
.............................I can relate to the 28 Nosler..........BUT! Ya already have a 7/08 (yeah I know, not a 28 Nosler). And ya already have a 7 STW which is very comparable to a 28 Nosler.

So! Maybe go with a 6.5mm?? 26 Nosler?...6.5/300 Weatherby? (A great conversation piece)...Creedmoor is too damned common now....
Posted By: ejo Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Spend the money on a hunt. It looks like your safe is well stocked.
Posted By: dSmith_45 Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
You mention bear. .375 H&H will make your pockets lighter.
You don't need one for bears. But don't not not need one for bears.
Recoil about like a 12 gauge with slug or heavy waterfowl loads.
I have a few friends here in Texas that like using the H&H on hogs just because they can.
The 26 nosler is an interesting thought.
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
.338 Mag
Posted By: Fotis Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
22 creedmoor
Posted By: Judman Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by ejo
Spend the money on a hunt. It looks like your safe is well stocked.

Yep or good glass. You got good Binos etc??
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
.375 H&H
Posted By: yar Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
7 RUM . I just happen to have a 700 Custom Shop unfired in the classifieds here and you can keep $500 in your pocket. Just saying!
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
6.5 WBY RPM

.300 PRC
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
I have an issue....I have a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket and no clue what caliber to buy with it. Own a couple .243s, .270s, an stw, 7-08 and a .300 win. Help me pick a new cal. Mostly hunt under 300 yds but usually have an opportunity to stretch it out wayyyy past for a bear or 2 which might be fun.

Nab a Vudoo,stocked in accordance to your preferences. You'll learn more on a single outing,about atmospherics and the sanctity of robust optical innards steering boolits,than you have in all of your prior experience(s) combined. Hint.

Personally,I'd be in Specter Mode and at 18"(make mine a Bart',because both of mine are). Typical Halibut-esque blueprint,which connects all dots by default. Make mine a MacaMillion Classic. 6x MQ and at least 70MOA of inclination. 37+ Mils of erector,from a 50yd zero,do set the stage for opportunity...especailly with 10 more Mil's laying in wait,upon the windshield. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Once you savvy that steering boolits,is more important than anything else,you'll be able to apply those fundamentals to everything and proficiency sky rockets by literal default. Hint.

Now as centerfires go(along with everything else),boolits matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and one must align COAL latitude,RPM and throat geometry. Cite the particulars of your existing platforms and relative merit can easily be extrapolated,by factoring same. Simplistic mention of a headstamp,means less than nothing,save all things .277" which simply don't have a boolit worth a fhuqk available to them. Hint.

Spent primers are THE Supreme Tutorial and Long Range Rimfire Fun,takes it to a whole 'nother level. Hint.

As an aside,I shoot every chambering you mention,if only to the chagrin of Window Lickers everywhere. Hint. LAUGHING!

Thank me later.

Hint...............................
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
I am going to have to agree with Stick (I know, right?). A high quality .22 rimfire with good optics will help you become a much better shooter. Plus, it is really fun to ring small steel at 300 yards with a .22.

If that doesn't float your boat, I would say build yourself a 6.5-284 or 6.5-47L, or a 7-08AI. Something along those lines. I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of big magnums. They have no practical use other than to empty wallets and ensure that hearing aid manufacturers and orthopedic surgeons stay in business.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Yup,no practical use for the big magnums.

Handload using a 480 grain Woodleigh SP from my .460 Wby.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: tzone Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
You’ve got hunting rifles covered, get a fast twist 223 for giggles.

Yep
Posted By: irfubar Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yup,no practical use for the big magnums.

Handload using a 480 grain Woodleigh SP from my .460 Wby.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ken, you are living dangerously.... didn't you hear those Woodleight are too soft..... or was it they will penetrate a herd of buffalo? crap can't keep this stuff straight.
I recommend a Stihl and a Yeti....... smile
Posted By: pete53 Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
if your a handloader you have plenty cartridges to decide on and maybe if you want a more powerful cartridge the 6.5 Nosler is maybe the answer ? but if your not a handloader and you still want a bigger cartridge tuff to beat a Remington 7mm Magnum ,recoil is not to bad ,ammo is easy to find,ammo is cheaper and it is a very easy cartridge that is very accurate too. good luck with your choice,Pete53
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Anywhere anyone mentioned the 6.5 Fudgepack, insert the 6.5 PRC. The PRC wins in every metric and does so with much less of a lisp.
A schit rifle,in a schit chambering,wearing schit bases,schit rings,schit glass,squirting schit boolits and getting the "benefit" of spark plugs pulled from under the hood...won't/can't "teach" anybody,anything. Not that Drooler pics ain't fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint. Congratulations?!?

I reckon I only have a coupla dozen High RPM 223/223AI's,if'n one counts Krunchentickers(I do). The Vudoo,will see more trigger time and is THE fast track to a first fhuqking clue. Hint.

What are the "odds" of PaulBurnedHARD getting horned up and unleashing her sexual proclivities...the "lucky" kchunt. I'm right at 35yrs,since I shot my first 264 Win Mag(only had a couple) and but not too many days,since whittling away all the loaded 147's for my 264 Twat-Six. Pass the 264 Kreedmire over both,due the reduction in mass,the superior handling,shorter length,less noise,lower ES/SD and mild mannerisms as a whole. I gotta have a GOOD reason to add action length and the PRC ain't it,nor close. Pass the Alpha brass for starters. Hint.

Make mine a Barrett. Now you Window Lickers can say you've "seen" one. Hint.

If only in fairness,I've more than one Vudoo and pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Laughing!..........................
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Hawken fifty, flint.
As of right now I do not hand load. Kids take up all of my free time. But they're getting older, so hand loading may be an option. Just hadn't really considered it. That just makes my choice harder. And Stick, you've piqued my interest with the vudoo. It might be an extra purchase though. Wife thinks I'm in the market for a "big loud one" and I aim to keep her happy!
Posted By: papat Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
Swede. Or the Vudoo
As of right now I do not hand load. Kids take up all of my free time. But they're getting older, so hand loading may be an option. Just hadn't really considered it. That just makes my choice harder. And Stick, you've piqued my interest with the vudoo. It might be an extra purchase though. Wife thinks I'm in the market for a "big loud one" and I aim to keep her happy!

You simply GOTTA shoot a Vudoo,to savvy. Words cain't connect them dots!(grin)

While I've a few Annie 54's,the Vudoo(s) STEAL The Show.

Nothing is as satisfying as Precision,coupled with SINISTER Accuracy and the Vudoo is all that and then some. Add zero recoil,modest "noise",copious erector travel,a Skookum etched windshield and you'll blow your own mind,on the first fhuqking outing.

Easy for me to say though,I've got it all and then some.

Hint..........................(grin)
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/22/19
As of right now I do not hand load.

That just SCREAMS 6.5 Creedmoor.

For what you want to do, the Creedmoor is a fine option. Good, long range capable factory ammo abounds as do good accurate factory rifles. Recoil is light. Accuracy is generally very good. Many folks hate it because of its rapid rise to success but it really is a great cartridge that does many things very well.

John
I don't harbor any hatred for the creedmoor. 1 of my kids shoot them. That being said, I've personally seen mixed results on game, so I am a bit hesitant
Posted By: Slowdrifter Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/23/19
Thoughts on a Christensen Mesa in .300 PRC?
You’ve got any shooting situation covered already, now you need something that is a classic and fun to shoot. If I had a couple grand to burn I’d look for a model 71 Winchester lever gun, very cool classic killer. If you don’t want to burn the whole pile get a lever in 45-70 or even a ruger #1 in an appropriate caliber that fits your shooting distance needs.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/23/19
Thoughts on a Christensen Mesa in .300 PRC?

Christensen is straight up Fluff and the 308 PRICK don't do anything for me. It's best pitch,is a 225 ELD at 2810fps,with it's .777 BC drag form. You gotsta' go long action to get there and give up rounds in the belly,increase barrel length,add weight,add noise and add recoil. Pass the 21" 7-08 with a .796BC 180 at 2600fps in a Fieldcraft. Hint.

All things Christensen,suck ass. The Mesa is an ergo Fhuqk Show. Hint.

Hornie 225 PRICK Factory Load:

"Lowly" 7-08:

Guess which one a gent will shoot more,with 35-40grs less powder a poke?!? Hint.(grin)

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision and think boolits FIRST.

Re-hint...............................
Posted By: jmh3 Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/23/19
I shot the .300 PRC in June at a Hornady / HS Precision sponsored prairie dog hunt. I was seriously impressed. Even people who had never shot long range were hitting steel at 1400 yards.
Posted By: Slowdrifter Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/24/19
Well, kind of took sticks advice, ordered a vudoo.....and a Christensen Mesa .300 PRC.....thanks everyone for the input
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Help me decide!!!! - 10/24/19
Guess which one you'll shoot more.
© 24hourcampfire